PDA

View Full Version : Family Escapes Boat Fire

Bobcat
05-12-2013, 08:39 AM

http://miami.cbslocal.com/latest-videos?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8868862

Family safely escapes boat fire in Sunny Isles
(Source: CBS4)

SUNNY ISLES (CBSMiami) – A family’s plan of spending the night on their boat changed suddenly with the sound of a smoke alarm.

Four adults, a 17-month-old, and two dogs were on board the 33-foot Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser when the smoke alarm sounded.

All passengers aboard, dogs included, were able to escape the fiery boat without injuries by way of a dingy.

Raul Varela, owner of the boat, heard explosions as the family escaped.

Captain Charles Hansen with Fast Response Marine Towing responded to the call.

“I tried to fight the fire with my pump but it was insufficient so I radioed the Coast Guard. I told them to get the fire crew by the bridge with foam suppressant,” said Hansen.

Chief Gary Fregeolle from Miami Dade Fire Rescue had Hansen tow the boat toward a bridge so they could spray water.

“It’s very difficult to maneuver. I was towing off the vessel’s anchor chain since I didn’t have time to pull up the anchor. At some point it got wrapped up in my propeller and I even collided with it on fire so it was quite risky but all in all it turned out well,” said Hansen.

There was not much left on the boat to salvage, but Varela and the rest of his family are thankful for their escape, and better yet their smoke detector.

“That’s why you gotta keep the alarms on those things at all times,” said Varela.

rschap1
05-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Good that they made it out

Ratickle
05-13-2013, 04:21 AM
Wow, good thing they had a working smoke alarm.....