PDA

View Full Version : Americans donating to Replace Boat Shot Up During Manhunt.

Bobcat
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Support to Replace Boat Ruined in Bomber Standoff
By CHRISTINA NG | Good Morning America – 1 hour 33 minutes ago

America wants to help David Henneberry get a new boat.

The Watertown, Mass., resident became a hero when he discovered suspected Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in his backyard boat.

Henneberry quickly called the cops and in a final standoff, his boat was riddled with bullet holes.

"That boat's his baby. He takes care of it like you wouldn't believe. And they told him it's all shot up," Henneberry's friend and neighbor George Pizzuto told ABC News. "He's going to be heartbroken."

Today, people around the country want to make help mend that broken heart.

Deborah Newberry, 62, of Orlando, Fla., has already put a $25 check in the mail to Henneberry's home.

"Something told him to go and check things," Newberry told ABCNews.com. "I just want him to know that people care about him because I know he's probably the guy that would say, 'Well, that's okay.' But I just would like him to know that we're all thinking about him and appreciate his spirit."

She believes Henneberry had to be "awfully, awfully cool" to emerge from a daylong lockdown, notice something wrong with his boat, find a bloody man in it and slip away to call police.

"Just listening to his coolness and how he handled the situation, it was like okay, that is a man who needs to have his boat restored," Newberry said.

When asked if she sent Henneberry any note with the check Newberry said no, she simply wrote, "towards a new boat" on the check.

"He don't know me from Joe Turkey," she said with a laugh. "I want him to go back to his regular little things that he do and don't have to worry about having a boat."

PHOTOS: Second Boston Bomb Suspect Manhunt Concludes

Florida lawyer John Phillips felt the same way.

"[The boat] is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but that's what's significant to him," Phillips told ABCNews.com of the bullet-riddled boat. "If that's what the guy's passion is, I have no problem whatsoever chipping in and helping out."

Phillips, 38, is a personal injury attorney in Jacksonville, Fla. He wants to send Henneberry $1,000 for a new boat since he predicts the boat will be held as evidence for some time.

"He just had his boat shot up and had a terrorist live in it for a day," Phillips said. "If the dude wants an upgraded boat, let's get the guy a boat without terrorist blood in it."

People on Twitter are echoing the calls to help Henneberry, hailing him a hero.

"Bravo, David Henneberry! You are a true American hero. I say we all pitch in and buy you a new boat. #welldeserved," one person tweeted.

Another wrote, "Some boat company needs to hook David Henneberry up with a new boat. His has a few holes in it. Holey #boats don't float."

Henneberry's boat is reportedly a 22-foot Seahawk cruiser with a fiberglass hull, which retails for around $50,000.

He did not return ABC News' request for a comment.

"It took more than the police department to get it done and that's the American spirit to me," Phillips said. "It's one random guy and one random boat ironically in a town named Watertown that's supposedly landlocked. Truth is stranger than fiction. You couldn't write this stuff and be believed.

Buoy
04-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Very cool!!!

Blue Oval
04-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Might be a great time for a boat company to donate a boat for some PR!

Ratickle
04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
We'll have to do some following of this story. And maybe some help???

fund razor
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Just saw him interviewed. Cool guy.

He asks that we donate to the One Fund for the real victims, not for a guy who lost his boat.

Told you he was a cool guy.

rschap1
04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Heard him on the radio this morning.
Sounded really modest and guessing him to be a decent guy by the sounds of it too.
Heard that the ONE Fund set up to help victims had topped $20 million dollars yesterday too.
Amazing how good people help each other out too!!

Ratickle
05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
$50,000 raised to replace beloved backyard boat destroyed in Boston terrorist attack

May 1, 2013, 09:21AM

$50,000 raised to replace beloved backyard boat destroyed in Boston terrorist attack. ...

Good Samaritans and generous neighbors from around the nation? Yes, and yes.

“David Henneberry, the man who found the Boston bomber suspect in his backyard, received an outpouring of support over the last week. In a viral fundraiser, more than $50,000 was raised to replace his beloved boat ‘Slip Away II’ that was destroyed during the police standoff,” reports Ajay Mehta, spokesman for Crowdtilt, an online effort to help the boat owner, and other causes.

“The fundraiser was started by Craig Dunlap, a Texas native who simply was asking friends to help out a fellow boat lover. The boat manufacturer Boston Whaler stepped in and gave a sizable donation to help reach the fundraising goal,” he says.

The suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, was found hiding in the boat after a massive manhunt, in the backyard of the home in Watertown, Massachusetts. The 22-foot pleasure cruiser was hit by flash-bang grenades and bullets, and sprayed with blood during the events.

And Dave Henneberry himself? When the fundraiser got underway last week, the 65-year-old told local radio outlet WCVB, “I would wish that they donate it to the One Fund Boston. They lost limbs. I lost a boat…It makes me feel wonderful that people are thinking like that, but it’s a boat. I got a canoe in the garage.”

Things are looking better.

“Thanks to a family contact, I received a call from David tonight. Let me tell you all, this is one of the most humbled and appreciative man I have ever spoken with,” says Jeffrey Griffeth, who founded the Facebook site that rallied many of the donors (facebook.com/davesnewboat).

“He was truly moved on the outpouring of support from here in the US and around the world and was at a loss of words a few different times but wants to thank everyone for their support,” Mr. Griffeth adds. “I myself have been humbled after speaking with him, it was a serious undertaking trying to make this happen.”

Read more: $50,000 raised to replace beloved backyard boat destroyed in Boston terrorist attack - Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/may/1/50000-raised-replace-beloved-backyard-boat-destroy/#ixzz2SBmEcHVS)
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Bobcat
05-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Cool!

old377guy
05-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Great to hear.

Buoy
05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Very cool.

rschap1
05-03-2013, 02:03 PM
VERY cool !!!

Ratickle
05-05-2013, 07:12 AM
I bet the money isn't done coming in yet either.....

Blue Oval
05-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Great story! Just a thought, I bet the guy who started the page to raise money was a powerboater! I wonder if it was a sailboat if they would have raised $1000.00?

Ratickle
05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I think $1000 would be a stretch!:sifone: