PDA

View Full Version : Waves in hull do I need to redo it

morepower
04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Had a fiberglass man redo my hull with composite and it has waves in the hull going from front to back starting where the hull makes the transition to going flat . Do I need to redo it. The waves are about a foot apart and about 1/16" to 1/8"from top off wave to the valley and travels about a 6' span. What will this cause.http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif

Ratickle
04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Got some pics or sketches?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
What will this cause.http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif

My first thought is what kind of boat and how fast does it go? Pictures would be helpful.

Offshore Ginger
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Do you know if your glass guy long boarded the surface ......because the longer the board that is being used the straighter the surface ..........opposed to using a smaller board which often will give a wash board effect .

Offshore Ginger
04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/othu77.jpg Note-the file board with the longer sanding pad ( surface) which will give you a much straighter surface then the smaller one along with using a flexible long board by hand for curved areas .

morepower
04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Don't know if you can see them. Boat is a 24' Python and goes 70. I don't know what he used but at this point it's moot, I would assume all he did was grind it. I just put my stringers in and was adjusting my bunks when I noticed it. I have it upside down to fix a stress crack and to sand the oxidation. 758367583775838

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Pictures are too small to see anything. Not every boat has a perfectly straight bottom. At 70 mph it is less critical then on a boat that goes 90 or more. The faster you go the more perfect it needs to be.

It is hard to give good advise on things of this nature without more info and better pictures. Another thing I am curious about is the sequence of repairs. Who did what and in what order? Whenever major repairs are done like stringers exterior surfaces have the potential to move. Are all structural repairs complete?

So far IMO with available info recommendations could range from it may not matter to you should true the bottom while it is upside down.

Ratickle
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I can only give a small, probably worthless, opinion from what I can see and what you have described. If there are no imperfections in the 6' span immediately in front of the transom, don't worry about it. If there is a 1/8" dip in that 6' area immediately in front of the transom, make sure your stringers, transom, and bulkheads in that back area are in good shape. And, if so, fix it to flat while it's upside down..

Offshore Ginger
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Bottom line is ....................better pics will help, and to tell you the truth a straight edge made from Aluminum stock will better serve its purpose opposed to a level that will warp , bend or flex over a period of time , and if your stringers , transom , etc , etc , are in bad shape , rotted , or need's to be replaced .........i would skip doing the bottom at this time ,and focus on those areas of concern ~ because in the past i have seen hulls distort ( bottoms) from not being properly supported along the keel , chimes , and transom , even if they are on a trailer at this time when getting new stringers and or a transom . Paul , quit throwing yourself under the bus because we do value your opinion

morepower
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Try the pictures again. The hull is basically complete. He put the composite on the hull then the transom then glassed hull and transom. I put the stringers in last week not knowing of the waves, started moving my bunks to sit properly on the trailer and oh sh!!. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Offshore Ginger
04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
in the past i have seen hulls distort ( bottoms) from not being properly supported along the keel , chimes , and transom , even if they are on a trailer at this time when getting new stringers and or a transom . Morepower , am i correct in saying that you had the bottom Blueprinted before re-placing the stringers , intermittent's and transom ,and to answer you question ...........on what to do at this point in time really depends on you ,and just curious how big of a gap is between the hull and the straight edge and to be honest with out sounding rude if this was my boat or a customer's ............ most likely it would be addressed at this time .

Offshore Ginger
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Morepower , just a quick mention and that is ..........the hook ( area ) shown is your pics is your running surface and could possibly effect overall performance and when your glass guy did your strakes along the running surface ..............did he make them somewhat sharp ?

old377guy
04-12-2013, 09:25 PM
my gosh, do I really see about 3/16" of an inch gap? .... and oh, BTW Artie, you never told us you owned a Hustler..:biggrinjester:

morepower
04-12-2013, 09:42 PM
on what to do at this point in time really depends on you ,and just curious how big of a gap is between the hull and the straight edge and to be honest with out sounding rude if this was my boat or a customer's ............ most likely it would be addressed at this time .[/QUOTE]

Ginger, depends on me. I want it done right, whatever needs to be done, oh blue printing the stringers was I suppose to do that, used the old stingers to make a template. How is blue printing the bottom done. When you say it would be addressed at this time are you referring to scrapping the hull. Not sure what you are asking about the strakes, sharp on the inside of the hull. Oh by the way the glass guy shot is wife and turned the gun on his self about 3 months ago just after he did my boat.

old377guy
04-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Holy Sh!!!!t

Offshore Ginger
04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
BTW Artie, you never told us you owned a Hustler..:biggrinjester: Ha Ha Ha , and most likely.......... that will be the closest i ever get to owning one LOL.

Offshore Ginger
04-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Ginger, depends on me. I want it done right, whatever needs to be done, oh blue printing the stringers was I suppose to do that, used the old stingers to make a template. How is blue printing the bottom done. When you say it would be addressed at this time are you referring to scrapping the hull. Not sure what you are asking about the strakes, First off lets take a few small steps at this time # 1 the hull does not NEED to be scrapped . # 2 when ever you blue print a hull or bottom ~ there is no need to address the stringer's because the stringer system essentially is the back bone of the boat ( inside ) structurally holding everything together . # 3 whenever i blue print a hull i alway's try to make the outer edge of the strake as sharp as possible . ( running surface / bottom ) #4 Are you planning on doing this your self , and if so go to post 5 and take a look once again at the file board i use when doing this type of work which has the longer sanding pad ~ because once again the longer the board the straighter the surface and if you like i can and will talk you thru this whole process ( step by step ) and before i go any further with this post is the bottom in paint or gel ?

morepower
04-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Okay Artie, the boat is gel. Am I doing this myself depends on how much you would charge me LOL. How complex of a job is it and what would I expect to pay for it. I don't have a problem buying the tools but I don't want to get over my head. Can you tell me the steps.

Thanks
Bryan

Buoy
04-13-2013, 06:33 PM
If I had waves in my hull, I'd invest in a good bilge pump:)
Seriously, it doesn't look that bad to me, but I know nothing, and I'm not looking to spend $10,000 to gain 2 mph.
As long as the hull doesn't track plucked up, or feel unsafe, I wouldn't worry about it.
But, I'm not building a race boat.
That's just me.

Offshore Ginger
04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
In ,regards to post #19 if you can live with it so......................be it..........because that is your choice , and contrary to what was mentioned above the best bang for the buck opposed to having motor mods done is blue-printing your bottom .............................................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm $$$$ 10- K..............................................

morepower
04-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I can't leave it like that, would never be happy with it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do I start.

Buoy
04-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd be wiling to bet that through the years there have been a good number of very popular successful boats that have similar hull traits.

Offshore Ginger
04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
I can't leave it like that, would never be happy with it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do I start.ADTECH Plastic Systems (http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-16-27-p-77-high-heat-resistant-fillerfairing-compound.aspx) First , might i recomend prepping the areas of concern using # 36 grit and using this filler to fill in the low's , and might i mention that the general rule of thumb is ..................... if the area of concern is high / sand , and if it is low fill .

Buoy
04-13-2013, 11:28 PM
.. if the area of concern is high / sand , and if it is low fill .

Amazing idea.
Good advice there.

Ratickle
04-14-2013, 11:35 AM
In ,regards to post #19 if you can live with it so......................be it..........because that is your choice , and contrary to what was mentioned above the best bang for the buck opposed to having motor mods done is blue-printing your bottom .............................................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm $$$$ 10- K..............................................

Absolutely agree, if you wanna go fast, and handle the best, make the bottom perfect. Since you did the new stringers and transom, unfortunately kind of in the wrong sequence, I'd fix it. Especially since it's upside down.

Ratickle
04-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Paul , quit throwing yourself under the bus because we do value your opinion

??? You lost me Artie

morepower
04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Absolutely agree, if you wanna go fast, and handle the best, make the bottom perfect. Since you did the new stringers and transom, unfortunately kind of in the wrong sequence, I'd fix it. Especially since it's upside down.

So Ratickle what should be the procedure.
I hear you Bouy.

Offshore Ginger
04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
I can only give a small, probably worthless, opinion from what I can see and what you have described. Paul this is what i mean .

Ratickle
04-14-2013, 04:09 PM
So Ratickle what should be the procedure.
I hear you Bouy.

Artie, Offshore Ginger, is one of the sharpest guys around on bottom work and glass. He will not steer you wrong.

I think he will need to know what kind of glass the bottom was redone with from your last guy. Artie?

Ratickle
04-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Paul this is what i mean .

Oh, that is close to the truth though. I cannot look at the bottom of a boat with those small pics and tell them what kind of glass work needs to be done. What kind of glass to use. Or even if it is worth the coat. (Because you guys know a lot more than I do by far.) So, I can only steer in the right direction, not even pretend to be any kind of an expert. I can say I wouldn't put the money into redoing the glass if he wasn't positive the stringers and transom were good though.

Offshore Ginger
04-14-2013, 06:11 PM
morepower , i just sent you an E-Mail , and let me know if you got it ?