PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Accident by Gulf Breeze

Serious News
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Condolences and wishes for a speedy recovery for those injured. A 42' flipping over backwards at 70 seems odd.

Speed boat crash kills 1 near Gulf Breeze
4 others in hospital with severe injuries

One boater was killed and four more were badly injured in a high-speed accident in the Santa Rosa Sound on Saturday afternoon, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said.

A 42-foot speedboat carrying five people was traveling at high speed in the waters south of Shoreline Park in Gulf Breeze at about 2:30 p.m. when it hit a wave and went airborne, Lt. Douglas Berryman of the Fish and Wildlife Commission said. The boat shattered into pieces upon landing.

One person was killed and four others were taken to a hospital for treatment. Berryman said the identities of the people and the cause of the wreck still were being investigated.

“Every person involved is in pretty bad shape,” he said. “It’s gonna take us a while to put it all together.”

Members of the Gulf Breeze Police Department, the Coast Guard and Gulf Breeze Fire and Rescue responded to the wreck.
A somber crowd of onlookers watched from the boardwalk as crews ferried bits of the vessel from the crash site to the shore.

“Half of the boat is underwater, half of it is above water and we’ve got hundreds and hundreds of pieces that we’re picking up,” Berryman said.
He said the amount of debris indicated the boat was traveling very fast at the time of the crash. “You can look at that and tell it was high speed,” he said, pointing to the wreckage. “How fast, I have no idea.”

By about 5 p.m. workers had accumulated and cordoned off two large piles of debris on the shore. Berryman said a dive crew had been contacted to retrieve the submerged sections of the boat. Information about the registration of the boat — said to be a cigarette or go-fast boat popularized in the 1980s television series “Miami Vice” — and its owners was unavailable Saturday evening.

A rotating crowd of onlookers quietly watched the grim work proceedings and offered their well wishes to the boaters as well as their thoughts about what happened. Bobby Thomas said he was walking his dog toward the park when emergency vehicles began to streak past him. He arrived at Shoreline Park just after the crash and said that witnesses described it to him. “They didn’t hit anybody. He was just going fast,” Thomas said witnesses told him. “They said he must have been going about 70 mph, then the boat just flipped over backwards.”

Berryman said it probably will be well into next week before the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had definitive answers to report. “It’s Easter weekend,” he said. “Nothing’s going to happen fast.”

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130331/NEWS01/303310043/Speed-boat-crash-kills-1-near-Gulf-Breeze?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Serious News
03-31-2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130330/NEWS01/130330002

Boat crash with injuries reported in Santa Rosa Sound

A cigarette boat traveling at a high rate of speed has crashed in Santa Rosa Sound between Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach, according to the U.S. Coast Guard station in Mobile.

Escambia County Emergency Services has confirmed injuries from the crash, but the number of people involved and the severity of the injuries is unknown.

It also is unknown whether any other vessels were involved.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Bobcat
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Sounds like it hooked, which made it appear to flip over to the uninitiated .

Ratickle
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Still unsure of exactly what happened. I've never seen a big Vee destruct into small pieces like that.

Ratickle
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130401/NEWS01/304010004/Civilian-boaters-came-to-rescue-after-fatal-high-speed-accident

Gary Lowry, 61, of Pensacola, who was behind the wheel of the 39-foot Velocity go-fast boat, was killed in the accident about 1,000 yards south of Shoreline Park in Gulf Breeze, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission authorities said.

Lt. Douglas Berryman said it’s clear the boat hit some sort of wake as it traveled at a speed that some witnesses estimated at 70 mph.

“We believe the wake caused the vessel to go airborne,” he said. “We don’t know if it was a boat or a wave.”
The front of the boat hit the water before the boat went airborne again, he said. The back of the boat slammed into the water and splintered into pieces.
The rear half of the boat, including the motor, is submerged in 12 to 14 feet of water.

Justin Simmons, a charter fisherman, said Sunday that he saw the accident.
“When I looked out, I could see ... a boat coming up looking like it was doing a back flip in the wake,” he said. “It hit the water and made a humongous splash.”

rschap1
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
very sad:(

Wrinkleface
04-02-2013, 09:32 PM
RIP & the best to the survivors!!

Ratickle
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130403/NEWS01/304030029/Divers-map-boat-wreckage-Crew-uses-SONAR-to-create-image-of-vessel

Some video immediately after the accident.

Ratickle
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013304020011&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Update

old377guy
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
terribly sad

Ratickle
04-05-2013, 04:22 AM
This is still not making a whole lot of sense to me. I continue to watch to see if they can figure out how a boat can break apart like that.

baronmarine
04-05-2013, 07:48 AM
paul i was thinking that same thing. water looked pretty claim during the rescue. very sad. my thoughts go out to the family.

todd

old377guy
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
What occurred to me was that as stated one of the engines was still "turning". If somehow the engine(s) came free of the mounts and pryed apart the transom, and were still running, then perhaps the props did some chewing up of components?

fund razor
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
This is still not making a whole lot of sense to me. I continue to watch to see if they can figure out how a boat can break apart like that.

I'm still trying to figure out how the guy had no insurance.

TUCK646
04-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Still unsure of exactly what happened. I've never seen a big Vee destruct into small pieces like that.

Ditto, in a single boat wreck, sad , that had to be unbelievably violent , had to stuff and roll as well,to come apart like that?

Ratickle
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
A couple of guys I've discussed this with says the boat had to of hit something. The bottom????? Looks pretty shallow...

brezzer
04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I live in Gulf Breeze. My next door neighbor is the Fire Chief for the City of Gulf Breeze. He responded to the scene. The stern and engines are in 10 feet of water. He stated that it appeared the boat did stuff after launching high into the air and possibly hit the bottom. He took me to see the front half after it was out of the water. Unbelievable...he reminded me to be careful in my Donzi. No one in the Velocity was wearing a PFD and Gary was not wearing his safety lanyard. The wake he hit was from a 65' sport fisher.

Ratickle
04-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

I was chatting with another performance boater/builder who has seen it happen before. I guess that once there is a failure of the seam between the deck and hull, the deck can peel off and then the hull loses most of its strength. Just depends on how the boat hits the water in the beginning, and if there is a breach between the hull and deck.

I also know of a couple racers who hit the bottom of lake Erie in a stuff, about 15' deep, causing the canopy to fail on the boat they were in.

old377guy
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Geez ---- shades of the Columbia River bar

rschap1
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I had just read that the boat had some stringer work done to "lighten" it
I do not think I would want to be associated with any of that if there is any truth to it at all.

Bobcat
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
No kidding, that'd leave a bad feeling in your gut...

rschap1
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I had just read that the boat had some stringer work done to "lighten" it
I do not think I would want to be associated with any of that if there is any truth to it at all.

Oops, my mistake, the lightened stringers were in another boat, not this one, sorry

Ratickle
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
That's good to know. But, lightening old wood stringers by replacing them with new man-made stringer material would certainly not weaken a boat when done right. Just the opposite.

endeavor1
04-11-2013, 12:02 AM
WOW