PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for SBI Sarasota Races

appsyscons
03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
In todays local paper

SARASOTA - The director of the Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix said organizers might pull the plug on this year’s festival after Sarasota County officials refused their funding request.

The county offered $28,500 on Tuesday to help cover the event, which has brought high-speed boat races and big crowds to Sarasota every summer for nearly three decades.

That is an increase from previous donations — the commission agreed to compensate for a $10,000 loss of state money — but far less than festival organizers were hoping for.

Suncoast Charities for Children asked the County Commission to give $100,000 to the 10-day festival, which is a fundraiser for their programs that help children with special needs in Sarasota County.

Festival Director Lucy Nicandri said the charity has seen a drop off in event revenue over the past few years. Last year, the charity made $57,000 compared to its 15-year average revenue of $90,000, she said.

“Why not go do a golf tournament and raise almost $100,000?” she asked.

The charity’s board is going to decide in the next few weeks whether to cancel this year’s event, scheduled to start June 29.

The community needs to buy into the festival to keep it afloat, Nicandri said, adding that other Florida cities would love to have it.

“It’s really going to be left up to the public,” she said.

County commissioners voted 3-2 against giving the event more than $28,500. Commissioners Joe Barbetta and Carolyn Mason wanted to cover the charity’s $79,200 sanctioning fee.

“It’s just been going on for 29 years;it’s expected by the community,” Barbetta said.

The county’s tourist tax collections are strong and the commission could perhaps take funding from that source, he said.

Commissioner Nora Patterson said additional tourism revenue has been used to fund efforts to make the area a competitive rowing hub, and it is a bad time to take money out of the county’s general fund.

Giving $100,000 to the races is like giving it to Suncoast Charities, Patterson said, and there are other organizations in the county that do not get a boost from local government.

She called $28,500 “probably the best we can do,” even at the cost of losing the event.

“I would not change my vote,” she said.

Mason said Suncoast Charities has scheduled individual meetings with commissioners and the group could revisit the issue.

Although these are lean budget times, the economic impact of the event is critical to Sarasota, Mason said.

Last year, the Grand Prix had a $14.3 million impact on the area and onlookers from 103 countries live streamed the event, Nicandri said.

“I don’t think we can afford to lose it,” Barbetta said

Ratickle
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Anything new for sure????

Underdog88
04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
That would be a shame to see this one go away.

Ratickle
04-04-2013, 04:12 AM
It would be tough to see happen, for sure. I'm hoping it's all just smoke. But you can never tell when it comes to some of the dumbazz politicians that get elected. Ask Louie about the ones up where he had his race every year......