PDA

View Full Version : 36' Concept Misses Channel

Bobcat
02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Boat misses channel, crashes in mangroves
CITIZEN STAFF

A Coconut Grove man narrowly escaped serious injury Monday night when he ran a high-performance boat deep into the mangroves, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Daniel S. McBride, 39, apparently was returning from a day of fishing about 10 p.m., driving a 36-foot Concept powered by three 300-horsepower Mercury outboards. He reportedly missed a channel for South Sound Creek in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.

Crossing Airport Flat, McBride hit the mangroves just south of South Sound Creek, crashing 250 feet into the trees before coming to a stop, said FWC spokesman Bobby Dube.

Alcohol was not believed to be a factor. McBride apparently had his GPS programmed incorrectly and his boat was not properly lit at the time, according to the FWC.

McBride reportedly was knocked unconscious and awoke when his dog began licking the cuts on his head and forehead. He didn't report the incident until the next day, when he called Sea Tow Key Largo for assistance, Dube said.

The FWC responded with a Department of Environmental Protection biologist. McBride refused medical treatment.

A full damage assessment will be conducted by DEP, Dube said.

Bgchuby01
02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
If he ran 250 feet into the mangroves he had to be running at a pretty good clip. Why would you run a boat at night that fast? And not be very familiar with the waters you are in. In the late 70's I would go across biscayne bay running in the 50's but I knew the bay pretty good and back then we did not have GPS. This story sounds like another boat owner driving his boat beyond his ability and knowledge.

Ratickle
02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Glad the dog was okay.....:sifone:

Bobcat
02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
He's the first one to ever admit that he set the GPS wrong.....everyone else blames the equipment !!! And yes , he had to be honking along to go 250' into the mangroves....
I'll check this weeks craigslist....
36' Concept, never left in the water overnight !!!!:sifone:

Bgchuby01
02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
36' Concept, never left in the water overnight !!!!:sifone:[/QUOTE]

Now thats funny

Ratickle
02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
He's the first one to ever admit that he set the GPS wrong.....everyone else blames the equipment !!! And yes , he had to be honking along to go 250' into the mangroves....
I'll check this weeks craigslist....
36' Concept, never left in the water overnight !!!!:sifone:

Maybe you can get a great deal????

Bobcat
02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
75596I can't be seen in some monohull like some cheesy high school kid....please...

Ratickle
02-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, yes you can.......