PDA

View Full Version : This Crap Might Fly in Canada ...But in KW ?

Bobcat
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Doughnuts and Beer:puke:

Doughnut shop asks to sell alcohol
BY GWEN FILOSA Citizen Staff
gfilosa@keysnews.com

A downtown doughnut shop is asking the city for special permission to add beer and wine to its menu, as the owners consider long-term plans that could include staying open 24 hours a day.

Glazed Donuts, 520 Eaton St., opened almost eight months ago with promises of supplying "gourmet" doughnuts in Old Town, and in an application package to the city, now wants to add alcoholic beverages to "accessorize" its baked goods.

But because it is located within 300 feet of St. Paul's Episcopal Church on Duval Street, the shop needs the city's Planning Board to grant a special exception before owners Jon and Megan Pidgeon may apply to the state for a beer and wine license.

Members of the city's Development Review Committee, made up of city staff including Planner Don Craig, will discuss the request at its 10 a.m. Friday meeting at Old City Hall, but the DRC panel has no approval power. That's up to the Planning Board, a volunteer group appointed by city commissioners.

The Pidgeons, both trained at the Culinary Institute of America, have no plans to turn the shop into a bar or nightclub, their attorney Alan Fowler said in the application.

"Glazed Donuts seeks to accessorize their gourmet donut menu with specialty beer and wine-based drinks, such as mimosas, bellinis and seasonal craft beer, that accessorize the flavor profiles of their donuts, much as it does with coffee-based drinks," Fowler wrote as part of a 25-page application dated Nov. 28.

Glazed Donuts is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. now, but those hours could expand to meet the demand, Fowler wrote. The Pidgeons estimate that the shop has produced at least 34,000 doughnuts and pastries and rung up some 12,600 sales transactions since opening.

St. Paul's church and other next-door neighbors, such as a guest house, Sippin' Internet Cafe, and a Subway fast food eatery, have given Glazed Donuts their blessings in writing for the alcohol sales.

So has Tropic Cinema, which already sells beer and wine, but only if the doughnut shop agrees not to sell alcohol past 11 p.m. and keeps the beer and wine from leaving the premises, according to a letter and email attached to the application.

"Off-premise sales" of alcohol would draw a "questionable element," wrote Tropic Executive Director Matthew Helmerich in a Nov. 16 letter to Fowler.

The statue that depicts Marilyn Monroe in the iconic skirt billowing scene from 1955s "The Seven Year Itch," has been defaced, along with the Tropic's street-front poster cases.

In response, Fowler says that the doughnut shop's presence could deter any would-be vandals.

Helmerich added that the theater's alcohol sales are "linked to our primary business purpose," and they stop serving at 11 p.m. when the shows end.

gfilosa@keysnews.com

old377guy
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
since when are doughnuts and beer a problem?

h2oMag
12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
The last time I was in Key West for the worlds in 2010 the Ocean Key house would give you a Bloody Mary's when you bought a doughnut Sunday morning. :drool5: Most left the doughnut in the box.:rofl:

fund razor
12-19-2012, 07:03 AM
"Off-premise sales" of alcohol would draw a "questionable element,"

LOL. KW is safe from the "questionable element." :)

Bobcat
12-19-2012, 08:19 AM
They are referring to bums...which we got plenty.

fund razor
12-19-2012, 08:21 AM
They are referring to bums...which we got plenty.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
Poorly. :)

I thought that you had already been overrun. :D

Bobcat
12-19-2012, 04:00 PM
There are some "Homeless" down here...and they have a really good chance to get back on their feet with what the City is doing for them. But most of them are druggies or Alkies (non functioning ) Who are loud and obnoxious ,piss and sh*t in the street, and chase people out of the parks and beaches.

TUCK646
12-20-2012, 08:22 AM
they're not homeless,they're psyodelic minimalist,nature lovers,!, we send them down there all the time ?

Ratickle
12-21-2012, 06:12 AM
they're not homeless,they're psyodelic minimalist,nature lovers,!, we send them down there all the time ?

Ahhh, practicing to be in politics I see..........

old377guy
12-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Ahhh, practicing to be in politics I see..........

Tuck in the Whitehouse - now there's a thought! I'd go to DC in January just to hear HIS inaugural speech!