PDA

View Full Version : Bad Accident in Louisiana Today

Ratickle
04-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Details are still sketchy, but it looks as if David and Leon have both passed after their Skater flipped on the lake today. The lake was reported as being pretty rough, I spoke with them last year in Biloxi for a bit. They've been supporters of the Al Copeland Memorial for awhile now. I'll fill you in as I find out more.

Ratickle
04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
For those of you who may not recall the boat without seeing it, here is a pic from Biloxi last year.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Biloxi%202011/Biloxi2011016.jpg

I hate to speculate on the accident until more is known, RIP. I know you will both be missed very much.

Bobcat
04-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Was that an open canopy boat ?

Ratickle
04-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Yep, 36'.

Ratickle
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Still very sketchy information. The boat was on fire when the response teams got there and the two bodies were recovered. The accident was not on Lake Poncharatrain, but in a canal by Iberia Parish. Here are a couple links, as I said, sketchy as to what happened.

KATC.com | Acadiana-Lafayette, LouisianaView Videos (http://www.katc.com/videos/boat-crash-claims-the-life-of-two/)

Port of Iberia: Boat Fire | KATC.com | Acadiana-Lafayette, Louisiana (http://www.katc.com/news/port-of-iberia-boat-fire/)

Ratickle
04-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Wow, there is very little other than specualtion.

Two dead in Iberia Parish boat crash | The Advertiser | theadvertiser.com (http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120414/NEWS01/120414011/Two-dead-Iberia-Parish-boat-crash?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE)

purrfection
04-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Very sad day here in Louisiana. RIP gentlemen.

Ratickle
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I bet. I can only imagine what you guys are going throug. They were certainly part of the best of the Performance Boat Scene and the Skater Nation in your area.

I guess they had been doing testing with some very good results recently. They will sure be missed in Biloxi this year.

Ratickle
04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice Picture tribute from the Gulf Coast Offshore Group....

In Memory of Leon & David Ortemond - May they Rest in Peace - God Bless (http://www.gcoffshore.com/gco_files/main_files/DavidOrtemond/page_01.htm)

http://www.gcoffshore.com/

Ratickle
04-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Erath Father and Son Reportedly the Victims in Boat Accident
Posted: Apr 15, 2012 7:37 PM by Maddie Garrett

New information Sunday on the two men killed in a boating accident Saturday afternoon near the Port of Iberia. Family and friends have identified the victims as Leon Ortemond and son David Ortemond of Erath.

The two were members of Florida Powerboat Club, where a tribute has been posted on the website by Stu Jones. Jones wrote, "It is apparent that there was a high-speed accident which occurred while they had been testing with new power." Jones goes on to say "This is the worst tragedy that we could ever have imagined. we will miss you both."

David was supposed to get married in a few weeks, and friends said they were well-known and liked at Cypermore Point where they own a camp and could often be found driving their powerboats.

The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries are still investigating the cause of the accident. Investigators will reconstruct the crash to try and determine exactly what happened.

The Ortemonds were reportedly in a 36 Skater speed boat, it's unclear if speed was a factor in the crash. The boat was fully engulfed and destroyed in the accident. After the fire was extinguished divers recovered the bodies of Leon and David.

KATC Update

Ratickle
04-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Two passengers dead in a boating accident in Iberia Parish
New Iberia : LA :
USA | Apr 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM PDT
By George Vieto

New Iberia Louisiana.

A boat accident that ocurred two miles south of the Port of Iberia claimed the lives of two persons Saturday afternoon.
The Iberia Sheriff's Office responded to an emergency call about about 12:25pm about a boat that was on fire in the commercial canal in the Port Of Iberia.
Agents from the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries, sheriff deputies from Iberia Parish, surrounding parishes, an ambulance and the parish fire department firefighters went to the accident scene and saw the boat on fire at the bank of the canal.
After the fire was put out, divers from the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office searched the boat for passengers. They found two dead persons in the wreckage.
The sheriff department were told there were only two persons aboard the boat at the time of the accident.
Agents from the Louisiana Wildfire and Fisheries are investigating the cause of this tragic boating accident.

Ratickle
04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Florida Powerboat Club

FPC MOURNS THE LOSS OF LEON ORTEMOND and son DAVID ORTEMOND
April 14, 2012

From Stu Jones; 4/14/2012 11:00 PM

It is with great pain and sorrow that I must report this tragic news to our Florida Powerboat Club membership, and members of the performance boating community.

Jackie and I are sitting here at home in disbelief on this Saturday evening, after receiving the recent news that earlier today, Leon Ortemond and son David were in a terrible boating crash on David's 36 Skater. We do not have access to a copy of the accident report, but at this point, the fact remains...and the painful reality is, that both Leon and David have lost their lives, and we have lost two members of our boating family.

We express our sorrow and sincere condolences to Mrs. Ortemond, son Lance, daughter Christy, son-in-law Andre, and of course David's wonderful fiance Sandy...as well as the immediate family and the extended family of hundreds of employees and associates that are a part of the Ortemond's D&L Salvage organization. This is beyond comprehension. This is the worst tragedy that we could ever have imagined. We will miss you both. Always, and forever.

For those who wish to send flowers, condolences or pay tribute by attending funeral ceremonies, FPC will update this bulletin as news becomes available.

Florida Powerboat Club Blog - Bimini, Bahamas, Las Vegas, Panama City, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Poker Runs, International Boat Shows (http://www.flpowerboat.com/blog/index.html?id=35)

old377guy
04-16-2012, 12:58 PM
very sorry to hear this

Ratickle
04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Sincerest Condolences to All of their friends and family.
Paul and Terri

Funeral Services made for Ortemonds from Erath, who were will killed in boating accident
Vermilion Today.Com

ERATH - Friends, family and the town of Erath are dealing with the loss of Erath natives Leon Ortemond and his son David, who were killed in a boating accident Saturday at noon in Iberia Parish.

Services will be held Friday at David’s Funeral Home in Abbeville at 8 a.m. until time of service, which will be at 11 a.m. at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Erath.

Visitation will be held Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. at David’s Funeral Home in Abbeville. A rosary will be said that night at 7 p.m.

The entire obituary is expected to be posted on Tuesday.

VermilionToday.com - Funeral Services made for Ortemonds from Erath who were will killed in boating accident (http://www.kaplantoday.com/view/full_story/18255623/article-Funeral-Services-made-for-Ortemonds-from-Erath--who-were-will-killed-in-boating-accident?)

Leon David Ortemond
Vermilion Today.Com
May 23, 1946 - April 14, 2012

Erath - A Mass of Christian Burial for Leon D. Ortemond, Sr.,66, will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, April 20, 2012 at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.

Visitation will be at David Funeral Home of Abbeville on Thursday, April 19, 2012 from 10:00AM until 9:00PM with a recitation of the rosary at 7:00PM. Visitation will resume on Friday, April 20, 2012 from 8:00AM until the time of the services. Interment will follow at Our Lady of Lourdes Mausoleum.

David Funeral Home of Abbeville at 2600 Charity St. (337)893-3777 will be handling the arrangements.

David Ortemond, Jr
Vermilion Today.Com
December 29, 1972 - April 14, 2012

Erath - A Mass of Christian Burial for David Ortemond, Jr.,39, will be held at 11:00AM on Friday, April 20, 2012 at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church. Visitation will be at David Funeral Home of Abbeville on Thursday, April 19, 2012 from 10:00AM until 9:00PM with a recitation of the rosary at 7:00PM.

Visitation will resume on Friday, April 20, 2012 from 8:00AM until the time of the services. Interment will follow at Our Lady of Lourdes Mausoleum.

David Funeral Home of Abbeville at 2600 Charity St. (337)893-3777 will be handling the arrangements.

:(:(

rschap1
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
VEry sorry to such news
Condolences to the families
:(
RIP