PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor Day

MacGyver
12-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Today we remember those who served and died on this day, 67 years ago.

Buoy
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Amen.

Perlmudder
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
rip.

Scarab KV
12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Amen.

What he said. :iagree:

PARADOX
12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Remembering we will, forget we not.

fund razor
12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes.

RumRunner
12-07-2008, 02:30 PM
A big thank you to all that have served and haven't come home, and to those that continue to serve.

Davidmnc
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Thank you

phragle
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
One of my proudest days as an american, and one of my most somber moments was lowering the flag for the day over the arizona memorial while stationed at pearl harbor in the navy.

MarylandMark
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Pretty honorable and amazing to have done that phragle.

I wonder how many people in the US could name the date of "A Date Which Will Live in Infamy" these days. How soon we forget. One day 9/11 will be the same- sad. With 9/11 some have already forgotten (about 63M of them as of 11/4/08).

Steve 1
12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
These brave people made the ultimate sacrifice some died quick while others slowly being trapped in the ships with the rising water, they are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Wardey
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
God Bless and let's thank those who served and are still serving. May those who lost their lives fighting for us R.I.P. Dave

stecz20
12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
we went to pearl on my honeymoon, we spent 2 days there. on our last day we were on the arizona memorial and for whatever reason it was only us and an older gentleman. it was hard not to notice how upset he was, thought maybe he lost a brother or something.. later that day he was the main guest being honored as one of the survivors on one of the ships.. i forget which one.. but later that day i went over and shook his hand and thanked him and exchanged a little small talk.. he said he remembered me from the memorial and he went on to say, just how many friends were on that wall... he said it was his first time back since that day, and since his heath was starting to fail, he thought it would be his duty to say goodbye to his friends before he could no longer do so.... by this time he was growing a little crowd and there was not a dry eye listening to his story....... it was very touching, and i will never forget him....

PM203
12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
we went to pearl on my honeymoon, we spent 2 days there. on our last day we were on the arizona memorial and for whatever reason it was only us and an older gentleman. it was hard not to notice how upset he was, thought maybe he lost a brother or something.. later that day he was the main guest being honored as one of the survivors on one of the ships.. i forget which one.. but later that day i went over and shook his hand and thanked him and exchanged a little small talk.. he said he remembered me from the memorial and he went on to say, just how many friends were on that wall... he said it was his first time back since that day, and since his heath was starting to fail, he thought it would be his duty to say goodbye to his friends before he could no longer do so.... by this time he was growing a little crowd and there was not a dry eye listening to his story....... it was very touching, and i will never forget him....

Guys like him are the backbone of this country.

Holy Smokes
12-07-2008, 04:44 PM
We made the trip last year while in Hawaii on business. Definitely something ALL Americans should see in thier lifetime.

Also, caught this photo of a Naval ship maneuvering out of the harbor while we were touring the USS Missouri. It was another proud moment to see these brave souls heading out to sea.

MacGyver
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Nice pics HS. I pulled this pic off Google. I wonder how many kids today know the Memorial is actually positioned abvove the USS Arizona.

MarylandMark
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I wonder how many kids today know the Memorial is actually positioned above the USS Arizona.

or could point to on a map where the state the ship was named after is at.

Awesome pic!

Here is good one- the oil slick is refereed to as the tears of the Arizona. She leaks a quart a day and survivors of the crew say she will leak until the last of them passes.

The Memorial is 184 foot long compared to the 608 feet of the Arizona

ILMORdude
12-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Wow, major chills when reading that. What a story, and thanks to ALL the brave men and women that have, and still, protect us.

Fever Mike
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Sad day for sure...thanks for posting this so we all can be reminded.

old377guy
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
good for all of us to remember the common decency of that generation; been 30 or so years since I was at the memorial

Griff
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you to all who have served to protect this great nation.

MacGyver
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
or could point to on a map where the state the ship was named after is at.

Awesome pic!

Here is good one- the oil slick is refereed to as the tears of the Arizona. She leaks a quart a day and survivors of the crew say she will leak until the last of them passes.

The Memorial is 184 foot long compared to the 608 feet of the Arizona

Thanks MM, I never knew about the Tears of the Arizona.

Sunsation96
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you to all who have served to protect this great nation.

You can say this again!:):):seeya:

MarylandMark
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks MM, I never knew about the Tears of the Arizona.

The Arizona had 1.4 million gallons of “Bunker-C” fuel on board when she sank. In 2006 they said she still had 500K gallons on board.

Davidmnc
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM

That is a great story. The men and women that dyed that day gave us the freedom to live the life we live. Thank you.