PDA

View Full Version : Bay City MI boat builder recreates 1930s speedboat once owned by big band legend Guy Lombardo

Ratickle
01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
This is kinda cool. Anyone live close enough to go see it before it ends up in California????

Balcer says he built a replica of the race boat “My Sin,” which originally was constructed in 1938, measuring 24 feet in length. Balcer’s model is 20 feet long.

The original boat was owned by Zalmon Guy Simmons, owner of Simmons Mattress Co. He purchased the boat from Ventnor Boat Works in New Jersey for $107,000. As the story goes, Simmons’ wife told him it was a sin to purchase a boat at that cost, and so, the vessel got it’s name.

The original My Sin was equipped with a 650 horsepower Miller V16 aircraft engine that produced speed of more than 100 mph. Balcer’s replica has a 530 horsepower 502 Chevy engine.

After World War II, the original boat was sold to big band legend Guy Lombardo who renamed the her “Tempo VI.” Lombardo raced the boat — known as one of the world’s first successful three-point hydroplanes, according to www.thunderboats.org — for many years before it eventually crashed during a race.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2012/01/bay_city_boat_builder_recreate.html

Offshore Ginger
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow .....................that is so cool considering i have a friend in that area who's father lived on the Kawkawlin river who helped build Guy Lombardos boat while working for Les Staudecker who's son is still building boats to this day .

rschap1
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Very cool!
"it was a sin to purchase a boat at that cost"
:)

Bobcat
01-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Very cool piece of History.

Pete B
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Paul should drive to Bay City and do a Photoessay on the boat all in favor say "AYE"

Besides what else does he have to do it's winter and snowing in Michigan!

Offshore Ginger
01-06-2012, 07:36 PM
AYE , and i second that . Paul ..................let me know if you decide to go to Bay city because i have family and friends in and around that whole area from Saginaw., Freeland , and Bay city . Paul , did you know that Munger is home of the Munger Potato Festival , and to tell you the truth you would fit right in .....up there in that there neck of the woods .

Ratickle
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
What? You think I'm Mr. Potato Head?????

Ratickle
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Paul should drive to Bay City and do a Photoessay on the boat all in favor say "AYE"

Besides what else does he have to do it's winter and snowing in Michigan!

It was warmer here this morning than there.....

Offshore Ginger
01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
It was warmer here this morning than there..... :rofl::rofl::rofl: put then again you were reading the weather from Holland to Cuba today and just maybe Storm team 8 is looking for a new weatherman.......................once again:rofl::rofl::rofl: and no i dont think you are Mr Potato Head ..just the man to do the reporting when needed considering you clearly stated that you and your staff were going to bring some serious headlines to Serious offshore .......well..........................

Pete B
01-07-2012, 06:59 AM
see the "Aye's" have it! get rolling!

Ratickle
01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I think I'll see what Tommy's up to.....

Ratickle
01-07-2012, 09:36 AM
and your staff

my staff?????????????:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That meant you..................:hurray:

Ratickle
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I think I'll see what Tommy's up to.....

Talked with Tommy and maybe he'll see what can do....