PDA

View Full Version : So...Whats on the Menu this winter?

MILD THUNDER
10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Whos doing what to their boats? Once again I have a laundry list of things I want to do.

I will be pulling the engines next weekend. Probably do a basic freshen up, just like rings, bearings, lifters, etc. They probably have about 6-7 seasons on them. They run fine, but I sleep better knowing its all fresh. Plus I would like to re-rig some things, and maybe a few things for a couple extra hp...Although quite a stretch, but seeing 90mph one time would super.

Also will be pulling the Dash panel again, since that guy screwed me over and I hate the way it looks now. Will be doing it myself this time.

Still have to finish race hatches, and the cockpit vinyl is tired. Ill be a busy bee soon. :lurk5:

ICDEDPPL
10-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Thats quite a winter project Joe!
I`ll be putting on some Imco SCX drives and some blowers. Oh wait I just woke up:ack2:

I guess sending some gauges to be rebuilt, some LED`s, fixing the horrible tint job some boner did on my hatches, maybe an A/C.
If RYan Flat Deck can hook me up, something between the benches to sleep on.

J-Bonz
10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
At some point finishing my boat up................ After 3 years..........

Magic Medicine
10-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I plan on doing some handlin!!

Twin Whackas
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Need to find some props since I sold 2 of my 3 sets this fall.
Really want to shorten my mid's from 25" to 20" to get rid of the individual spacer, but don't think I am up to the challenge. I don't think it would really be that hard as all that is involved is installing 20" shift shaft, shortening the water tube, and replacing the studs to the new shorter length. Everything is running so dang good right now I just hate to mess something up.

ttuton
10-14-2011, 01:08 AM
I plan on redoing my dash. New gauges, wheel, and powdercoating the throttle/shifter. I also plan to update the graphics, with some new vinyl.

redhotsommer
10-14-2011, 05:22 AM
I'll be fixing my trailer jack and going through my entire interior retightening and replacing screws...which includes putting my lighting valence back in place in the v-berth. I'd also REALLY like to get my dash back in 100% working order, and hook up my battery chargers again...so I need either Joe Fountain or Dennis NoBoat to help me out! Depending on my financial situation, I might spring for new gears and the cryo treatment from ToddSonic's drive guy.

And...I'll be doing some serious trail-handlin' myself. Can't wait.

MILD THUNDER
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I plan on redoing my dash. New gauges, wheel, and powdercoating the throttle/shifter. I also plan to update the graphics, with some new vinyl.

I can tell you where NOT to send your dash panel to get redone!

teamsynergy
10-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Definetly some sled time... and MAYBE some boat work...

Ratickle
10-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Definetly some sled time... and MAYBE some boat work...

You MAYBE should work on a drive......:sifone:

teamsynergy
10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
You MAYBE should work on a drive......:sifone:

HA! I have people for that!!!!

OBNOXUS
10-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Rebuilding the outdrive on my new boat

teamsynergy
10-14-2011, 09:55 AM

I know a guy lol :willy_nilly:

MILD THUNDER
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Does Arneson make a alpha conversion? Lmao

teamsynergy
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM

You know... you COULD turn that boat into a "triple digits" boat... there was a guy on OSO that did that with about the same size hull... would make for an interesting weekend...

MILD THUNDER
10-14-2011, 11:38 AM
You know... you COULD turn that boat into a "triple digits" boat... there was a guy on OSO that did that with about the same size hull... would make for an interesting weekend...

Ya, there was a guy on there the other day, asking about what cam to put in his new 540, that he wants to make 680hp out of. He was upgrading from the original 330hp merc. Going I. A 23ft open bow. Bravo drive and no hyd steering.

teamsynergy
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Process of natural selection my friend...

OBNOXUS
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I was thinking of dropping on of Joeys 1200 into it !!!!

ttuton
10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I can tell you where NOT to send your dash panel to get redone!

I think I will try Livorsi for the dash and gauges. I remember reading about the saga you had with your dash.:eek:

WETTE VETTE
10-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Aside from helping SC288 with his minor issues, I think I will add a speedo with a few more digits!:cheers2:

600sci
10-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I think I will try Livorsi for the dash and gauges. I remember reading about the saga you had with your dash.:eek:

I can get GAFFRIG for a good deal.....just sayin' :USA:

ttuton
10-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I can get GAFFRIG for a good deal.....just sayin' :USA:

I have not looked into Gaffrig yet, but I will now. I will see if they have anything I like.

Payton
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I've got to do a good bilge cleaning and track down why I had gas on top of the intake manifold on my starboard engine. It did seem to be using a lot more gas than the port side, but I never smelled any nor did I see my oil level rise. And maybe get a set of those transome underwater LEDs.

My handlin will be a beer on a beach.

Magic Medicine
10-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Aside from helping SC288 with his minor issues, I think I will add a speedo with a few more digits!:cheers2:

A little birdie told me the vette is scary fast. Congrats on all the hard work:cheers2:

WETTE VETTE
10-14-2011, 10:28 PM
A little birdie told me the vette is scary fast. Congrats on all the hard work:cheers2:

The birdie would be telling the truth!:cheers2: It aint a 32 footer running 80 in four footers, but 60 - 110 in 4 seconds on calm water is fun too!!:sifone:

600sci
10-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I have not looked into Gaffrig yet, but I will now. I will see if they have anything I like.

http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Gaffrig/shopOurCatalog.cfm

the thing about Gaffrig is that these are REAL fog and water proof not like Livorsi ( AUTOMETER ) because thats all they are , AUTOMETER gauges with a Livorsi dial...in fancy colors !

sorry...but true.

PS I told Mike Schultz ( presi from gaffrig ) to make some more colors and he is, the Catalog is a little outdated on the colors of gauges and bezels..so a phonecall will help !
Just tell him Scotty said so..LOL :cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
10-15-2011, 08:45 AM
I've got to do a good bilge cleaning and track down why I had gas on top of the intake manifold on my starboard engine. It did seem to be using a lot more gas than the port side, but I never smelled any nor did I see my oil level rise. And maybe get a set of those transome underwater LEDs.

My handlin will be a beer on a beach.

Check the blower to manifold gaskets Mark. I had the same issue this summer with my blower gaskets. I had some fuel pushing out under boost past the o-ring. The early B&M blowers used a o-ring, they later changed to a gasket. Yours have a gasket. Dont get them thru summit or jegs, they are expensive. Call the Blower Shop, they are like 7 bucks a piece or so. Might need a little sealer on them. Gas will eat regular RTV, so use a fuel resistant sealer on the gasket surfaces. :cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
10-15-2011, 09:01 AM

I didnt have any issues with gauges, just panel itself getting done. I chose to go with the Autometer Marine Gauges. I went with the Silver with Chrome Race rims. I like the race rims better than the typical double lip style rims. Only thing I wish I would have done was went with Monster size gauges.

When shopping for the gauge packages, I have 15 gauges total. It was like 900 for autometer marine, and like 1500 for livorsi. Autometer makes gauge, livorsi customizes them. I had autometers in my past boats with no issues. The older gaffrigs that were in the Fountain when I got it, had spider cracked lenses on several of the gauges. They all worked fine though. I dont think they use the plastic lenses anymore though.

CPPERFORMANCE had a deal when I bought mine, I got a free bezel in any color with each gauge. So that was like 150 bucks worth of bezels for free with the order. That was cool!

Magic Medicine
10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
The birdie would be telling the truth!:cheers2: It aint a 32 footer running 80 in four footers, but 60 - 110 in 4 seconds on calm water is fun too!!:sifone:

Agreed any clowndick can run fast in a 30' plus boat. It takes stones to do it in a smaller one. :driving::USA::iagree:

Magic Medicine
10-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Joe your dash looks great. I agree the gaffrig guages of yester year were shotty at best. CP typically runs specials over the winter.

I didnt have any issues with gauges, just panel itself getting done. I chose to go with the Autometer Marine Gauges. I went with the Silver with Chrome Race rims. I like the race rims better than the typical double lip style rims. Only thing I wish I would have done was went with Monster size gauges.

When shopping for the gauge packages, I have 15 gauges total. It was like 900 for autometer marine, and like 1500 for livorsi. Autometer makes gauge, livorsi customizes them. I had autometers in my past boats with no issues. The older gaffrigs that were in the Fountain when I got it, had spider cracked lenses on several of the gauges. They all worked fine though. I dont think they use the plastic lenses anymore though.

CPPERFORMANCE had a deal when I bought mine, I got a free bezel in any color with each gauge. So that was like 150 bucks worth of bezels for free with the order. That was cool!

ttuton
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Dash looks awesome! I am going to need to my dash panel painted and re-labeled. I was also thinking of having the holes opened up for bigger guages. Does anyone else do this besides Livorsi and the guy Mild used? As far as the gauges I am going to shop around and see who has the best looking gauge for the price. I only have a single engine so it should be rather reasonable.

Cig Flat Deck
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Finally all i have are some cosmetic things to do and new covers. First time in a while she went away running. So i guess i will be working on other boats

Dan I'm waiting !!!! already have the plywood, foam, and a couple ideas just need the boat. So whenever you are ready

MILD THUNDER
10-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Finally all i have are some cosmetic things to do and new covers. First time in a while she went away running. So i guess i will be working on other boats

Dan I'm waiting !!!! already have the plywood, foam, and a couple ideas just need the boat. So whenever you are ready

Trust me, Ill find you something to do if you get bored. I have seen your carpentry work, and I like. Maybe you can make up all the new wood for my new interior before I get it covered. Not bad since we dont have to worry about making pieces for the engine hatches! Nice.

600sci
10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Trust me, Ill find you something to do if you get bored. I have seen your carpentry work, and I like. Maybe you can make up all the new wood for my new interior before I get it covered. Not bad since we dont have to worry about making pieces for the engine hatches! Nice.

wood..on interior ??????? Joe, use non roting matterials..NO wood.. that was 10+ years ago !

FOAM, CORECELL, PLASTIK !!!!!!! just sayin'

MILD THUNDER
10-16-2011, 09:06 AM
wood..on interior ??????? Joe, use non roting matterials..NO wood.. that was 10+ years ago !

FOAM, CORECELL, PLASTIK !!!!!!! just sayin'

Thats what I meant, couldnt think of that plastic stuff they use nowdays that cuts like wood!

teamsynergy
10-16-2011, 09:28 AM
I use star-board....

600sci
10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
I use star-board....

star board is to heavy.. but yes, works !

:USA:

paulb32
10-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I was thinking of dropping on of Joeys 1200 into it !!!!

With his economical single carb design, you'll actually get somewhere on the 30 gallons that boat will hold.

Tony M
10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Hope to get my 1952 rewired, and to be shopping for some kind of 30 or so footer "paul32 get the hint"

kvogt
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Dash looks awesome! I am going to need to my dash panel painted and re-labeled. I was also thinking of having the holes opened up for bigger guages. Does anyone else do this besides Livorsi and the guy Mild used? As far as the gauges I am going to shop around and see who has the best looking gauge for the price. I only have a single engine so it should be rather reasonable.

Give Kirk at Elite Marine a call for gauges and custom panels. That where I got my gauges and custom panels. Kirk Jurnick 708-989-6017
tell him I sent you.
Kris Vogt

ttuton
10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Give Kirk at Elite Marine a call for gauges and custom panels. That where I got my gauges and custom panels. Kirk Jurnick 708-989-6017
tell him I sent you.
Kris Vogt

Cool, thanks for the info. When I get around to the dash I will give him a call. Nice to have someone local to work with.

MILD THUNDER
10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
tell him I sent you.
Kris Vogt

I will have to give Kirk a call. I didnt know he did panels too!!

ttuton
10-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Looks like I am gonna be doing an exhaust before the dash. Found a Eddie Marine kit for a good price.

paulb32
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
and to be shopping for some kind of 30 or so footer "paul32 get the hint"

Yup still lookin!!

600sci
10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Yup still lookin!!

if u dont need a cabin..and looking for a fast ROUGH WATER 30 footer.. i know one !!!

:D

rschap1
10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I need a new 'toon or deckboat . . .

SC288
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Puke tanks, mechanical oil psi gauges....and some sledding.

MILD THUNDER
10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Got a chance to yank the engines this past weekend. Tore one down yesterday. Everything looked great. headgaskets looked brand new. Leakdown results were 10% or less, with leakage past rings. Valves sealing great. No signs of detonation, valve tuliping, or anything like that. Probably could have ran a few more seasons as is.

Always got slack from guys from running small blowers(too much heat), no intercoolers, single carb setup, etc, but it's been working that way for a long time, this summer was 7lbs of boost. Keep in mind these are only 460CI engines. Don't plan to change the recipe whatsoever, other than some wideband tuning of the jetting, and port matching the intakes to the heads, as there is quite a mismatch between the ports. I set the carbs up fat, to be safe, but wan't to get them dialed in a little better as to not wash down the cylinder walls with gas.

Other than that, I'd like to clean up the rigging and do some polishing of parts.

WETTE VETTE
10-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Got a chance to yank the engines this past weekend. Tore one down yesterday. Everything looked great. headgaskets looked brand new. Leakdown results were 10% or less, with leakage past rings. Valves sealing great. No signs of detonation, valve tuliping, or anything like that. Probably could have ran a few more seasons as is.

Always got slack from guys from running small blowers(too much heat), no intercoolers, single carb setup, etc, but it's been working that way for a long time, this summer was 7lbs of boost. Keep in mind these are only 460CI engines. Don't plan to change the recipe whatsoever, other than some wideband tuning of the jetting, and port matching the intakes to the heads, as there is quite a mismatch between the ports. I set the carbs up fat, to be safe, but wan't to get them dialed in a little better as to not wash down the cylinder walls with gas.

Other than that, I'd like to clean up the rigging and do some polishing of parts.

Thats good news! You'll really like the wideband for as it really takes the guess work out of tuning. Are you going to freshen up the rings and bearings or just put it back together?

MILD THUNDER
10-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Thats good news! You'll really like the wideband for as it really takes the guess work out of tuning. Are you going to freshen up the rings and bearings or just put it back together?

I do plan to do hone/rings and bearings, heck they are out and whens a better time than now! Probably go with Total Seal brand rings

10x
10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Joe, use the Hellfire rings, get them .005 over and file fit em. Those pistons look a wee bit too rich. ;)

MILD THUNDER
10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Joe, use the Hellfire rings, get them .005 over and file fit em. Those pistons look a wee bit too rich. ;)

Yes, I knew I was fat on the jetting. Plus last time they were ran, did a 20 minute idle into burns ditch harbor, then another 10+ minutes of idling in the ditch the next morning. Id imagine just cleaning up the afr would help alot. Never fouled a plug, but worried about diluting the oil and wearing those cylinder walls....

I saw those hellfire rings by speedpro, supposedly a good ring to use for nitrous, blowers, etc? Do you still have those b&m intakes Frank? I may be interested

ICDEDPPL
10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I can`t believe you`re running such a small blower, and only a single carb?! No intercoolers?! etc...

Its probably the miller light in a CAN! drinking messing with your thought process!:bump:

redhotsommer
10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Its probably the miller light in a CAN! drinking messing with your thought process!:bump:

You say this as if it tastes any better in a bottle. :confused:

MILD THUNDER
10-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Take a closer look. I'm the guy with the schlitz! LOL

Magic Medicine
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
You say this as if it tastes any better in a bottle. :confused:

All that pumkin tasting swill your drinking now a days must be going to your head:rofl:

Magic Medicine
10-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Joe,

You gonna make a trip to see Jimmy V?

Blue Oval
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Waxing the boat and paying the credit card company for all the gas and food from the summer season! It's hard work boating 6 times a week all summer long!

MILD THUNDER
10-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Joe,

You gonna make a trip to see Jimmy V?

I'd like to!

10x
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I saw those hellfire rings by speedpro, supposedly a good ring to use for nitrous, blowers, etc? Do you still have those b&m intakes Frank? I may be interested

That's the ring we use in our nitrous engine and my blower motors. Great rings and they last. I have the intakes, they're for 9.800 deck.

MILD THUNDER
11-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Engines completly torn down this week, and in for machine work now on the blocks. No signs of any funny business going on with them. Kris Vogt is helping me along with this project. Huge thanks to him and his brother Kirk, great guys. We might do a few upgrades along the way. Plus as a added bonus, I got to hang around these units for the day. Kris's old Cig is unreal, you have to see it in person to appreciate it. Those wisconsin guys really do some awesome stuff up there! Wait till you see the old school 42 Fountain that's gonna hit the water next season.

MILD THUNDER
11-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I did however decide to pressure test my Stellings headers yesterday, while they are sitting around. Glad I did. Found 2 of them to be leaking. WTF. Engines werent getting any water in the oil, or anything like that, probably because the leaks were close to the collectors. In any event, they are gonna need to be repaired. :beatdeadhorse5:

Boatfreak
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
We've got a busy winter season. The boat is back in Nashville at Eddie Young's for a few changes. After that it is off to Ft. Myers for the overnight run with there club. From there it's headed to the factory for a complete face lift of the cockpit. We are planning on doing the Miami Boat Show Run to end the season down there and then back home for weeks of cleaning. I'll post some before and after shots when I get them.

P.S. I'll leave you guys to play in the snow on your sleds. I get all of that stuff I need just trying to take care of my cows.

MILD THUNDER
12-05-2011, 10:18 AM
We've got a busy winter season. The boat is back in Nashville at Eddie Young's for a few changes. After that it is off to Ft. Myers for the overnight run with there club. From there it's headed to the factory for a complete face lift of the cockpit. We are planning on doing the Miami Boat Show Run to end the season down there and then back home for weeks of cleaning. I'll post some before and after shots when I get them.

P.S. I'll leave you guys to play in the snow on your sleds. I get all of that stuff I need just trying to take care of my cows.

Sounds like you will be lookin good, and running good!!

redhotsommer
12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like I'll be getting some new drive hardware....:)

OBNOXUS
12-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Is it sitting in my shop now ????

redhotsommer
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Well...I think so...you tell me!

OBNOXUS
12-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Just checkin !!!!!!!

paulb32
12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
So might there be a pair of -2 1" shaft lowers soon becoming available?

SC288
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Are you going back to standard length lowers Mike or upgrading to the big propshaft?

OBNOXUS
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
So might there be a pair of -2 1" shaft lowers soon becoming available?

Told ya !!!!!

redhotsommer
12-07-2011, 10:34 AM
As of now, I'm just buying Joey's IMCO SC uppers. Probably give the whole drives a try initially, but I don't know if they'll work for me as they are -3s. If they DO work, then yes, Paul, my -2s will be available.

Den...do the SCs have bigger propshafts?

OBNOXUS
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
same as XR

redhotsommer
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Good thing I didn't buy new props this year!

SC288
12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Good thing I didn't buy new props this year!

Most props unless they have the solid welded hubs you just need to do a hub insert changeout.

redhotsommer
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah...I bought a set of those XR hubs once. Still waiting on payment BZ!!!!

The props I'm running now have the solid welded hub.

OBNOXUS
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Still waiting on payment BZ!!!! .

Back of the line pal !!!!!

redhotsommer
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Well...I've been in that line since Lake Cumberland last year...!

Payton
12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Menu this winter.... Hmmmm When are ya s'posed to winterize?

MILD THUNDER
12-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Menu this winter.... Hmmmm When are ya s'posed to winterize?

Why winterize when you can just heat that barn you got for the winter. I would. The boat would be so much happier. Plus you got a warm place to sleep when you misbehave!

MILD THUNDER
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
As of now, I'm just buying Joey's IMCO SC uppers. Probably give the whole drives a try initially, but I don't know if they'll work for me as they are -3s. If they DO work, then yes, Paul, my -2s will be available.

Den...do the SCs have bigger propshafts?

Mike, try the whole drive!! I think they'd work nicely with the right props! I dont see why we couldnt do this on saturday. There is no ice on the water just yet.

Boatfreak
12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Well they're all cleaned up, sporting a new color and back in the hole.:cool:

Payton
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I like that idea for winterizing!!
Looks good Mike.

ttuton
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I found a complete set of gauges out of a newer fountain, now I need to have my dash redone. Does Livorsi still do this?

MILD THUNDER
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Call this guy. Cool dude. They make the panels for Cig and Fountain. Bad A$$ and prices not bad. No need to refurbish, they make ya a whole new panel.

http://www.innotechproducts.com/

Ratickle
01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Well they're all cleaned up, sporting a new color and back in the hole.:cool:

Is your diamond plate powdercoated?

Boatfreak
01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Is your diamond plate powdercoated?

Nope just painted and cleared with the engines.

MrCig
05-19-2012, 12:19 AM

73750 Just a little face Lift

MILD THUNDER
05-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Very Nice work Mark!

redhotsommer
05-19-2012, 08:32 AM
As if your boat need it! Can't wait to see it Mark!

Magic Medicine
05-19-2012, 09:33 AM
As if your boat need it! Can't wait to see it Mark!

X2

MrCig
05-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the Compliments but 27 Years of the Sun was taking a toll on the old paint. Nasty Kasch did all the paint work. It really turned out great. I just had to polish everything and put it back together.

Mark

Ratickle
05-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Looks really sweet......

SC288
05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Looks great....did you just do the cockpit area or did you do the entire deck?

MrCig
05-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Just the cockpit area. The rest of the deck is still original gelcoat in good shape

SC288
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Just the cockpit area. The rest of the deck is still original gelcoat in good shape

It looks great....one of my favorite Cigs for sure!

Beast1
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Saw the boat this weekend. It looks extra sweet....