PDA

View Full Version : Dennis the Menaces new boat

ICDEDPPL
09-28-2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1997_black_thunder_43_sc-o39776-en.html

Common Denis we need a Black Thunder around here!
3 bolsters in front and 6'+ headroom.. man I love them boats!

OBNOXUS
09-28-2011, 10:39 PM
43 footer,,,15,000 lbs,,,,,650 HP and Bravos ,,,,,OUCH !!!!

Nevr2nd
09-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Don't be scared, and its not quite 15,000 lbs.

Bravos yeah, be worried.

You can join the Big Boys, with BT's.

Nevr2nd
09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
43 footer,,,15,000 lbs,,,,,650 HP and Bravos ,,,,,OUCH !!!!

U will need to borrow Rich's truck!! LOL.

redhotsommer
09-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Den should buy The Chief.

Ratickle
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Could probably get a really good deal on it....... It's a sweet boat.

That's a good deal on that BT too. If it had a trailer, it would be a great buy. They are 11,500 ready to go without fluids. With 650's, the drives should live, but the bigger XR's are a must long term if the HP goes up, (or if you drive like an offshore racer).

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 08:30 AM

That boat needs ALOT of work for what they are asking for it.

Would be cool though !!!

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
U will need to borrow Rich's truck!! LOL.

Mine would do just fine thank you very much !!!!

Ratickle
09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Would be cool though !!!

You sure? The last time I saw it at Ben's, it was running well......

Nevr2nd
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Mine would do just fine thank you very much !!!!

Den, I'm sure it will, if you remember after leaving Kingdom City the "gas" powered truck was bringing up the rear.

So if don't mind hanging out with BZ, then great!! Haha.

Magic Medicine
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Would be cool though !!!

Whats it need??? When I was on it in MC 2 years ago, it was great shape!

Magic Medicine
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Den, I'm sure it will, if you remember after leaving Kingdom City the "gas" powered truck was bringing up the rear.

So if don't mind hanging out with BZ, then great!! Haha.

Plus one on the diesels!:driving:

redhotsommer
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Whats it need??? When I was on it in MC 2 years ago, it was great shape!

Check the thread about it on OSO right now. Apparently, it was NEVER in very good shape! lol.

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Check the thread about it on OSO right now. Apparently, it was NEVER in very good shape! lol.

Exactly.

The boat was never right to begin with.

Needs full interior,,,,,and whoever put the interior in drilled through the side of the boat.

Im all for through bolting but,,,,,:eek:

This was back when I was working with Sean Stinson,,,,, lots of stories

I feel bad ,,,,, this could have been a nice deal

Ratickle
09-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Stinson knows a lot about the project, he'd love to have that boat.

Sure there were some issues with delivery and use but the boat, when done (or re-done), was sweet. Ask anyone who was in it with Bobby at Michigan City what it ran like......

Hammer01
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
It appears to have a nice finish, gel-wise! Does this model have the stepped-hull or is it a straight-bottom? Looks nice but I would definitely be concerned as Big D said about the drives and HP. I used to run with the BT guys quite a bit as one of our Lake Shelbyville guys had Imco's and bravos with 675 KE motors and lots of problems. I know Merlin struggled with 4-5 drives but was told by BT sales rep, also named Dennis (the nephew of owners) that it was driver error but who knows. If the 43 has less hop than the 46's had it will probably alleviate some of the problems. Like the paint and so forth tho! BTW, whose motors are they, meaning the builder, couldn't read it on the breathers.

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Drive buster. Just ask Mark who has the 46 BT in hammond with 575s. Bobby saccenti couldn't make those bravos survive behind that boat. Mark does have a nice collection of bravos and I believe has swapped drives while boat is on the lift at hammond.

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM

:iagree:

Ratickle
09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
It appears to have a nice finish, gel-wise! Does this model have the stepped-hull or is it a straight-bottom? Looks nice but I would definitely be concerned as Big D said about the drives and HP. I used to run with the BT guys quite a bit as one of our Lake Shelbyville guys had Imco's and bravos with 675 KE motors and lots of problems. I know Merlin struggled with 4-5 drives but was told by BT sales rep, also named Dennis (the nephew of owners) that it was driver error but who knows. If the 43 has less hop than the 46's had it will probably alleviate some of the problems. Like the paint and so forth tho! BTW, whose motors are they, meaning the builder, couldn't read it on the breathers.

If you're interested, start a thread in the BT section and ask the question. Someone will know the boat. As for drives;

The stock Bravo's (non-XR's) do not hold up well in the 46' at all with twins. All years of the 46 with triples were awesome boats. The 46 with twins, first bottom design, were not. This one, 1997 43', should be fine with Bravos. I do not know if it is the stepped or straight hull. That is the year of the change.

Ian, Patriyacht, has been running his 1995 straight with Bravos for years. Shoot him a PM if this one is a straight bottom design. I'm sure he is pumping out about that same HP. I test drove that boat before Ian bought it with 850 blower motors on the Bravos.

There are numerous BT guys on here who will answer anything you need to know, including Coolerman who's just ran 129 at the shootout:eek:.

Hammer01
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Drive buster. Just ask Mark who has the 46 BT in hammond with 575s. Bobby saccenti couldn't make those bravos survive behind that boat. Mark does have a nice collection of bravos and I believe has swapped drives while boat is on the lift at hammond.

Agree, Joe, if you have ever driven next to one even in 1 ft chop, they often porpoise and that added with the weight, and HP's are a drive nightmare. My buddy used to have a 38 cig with big power and then went to the BT for cabin space and was upset with the ride. One can not argue tho that the cockpit and cuddy are great accomodations for those that spend the night on board and have guests during the day, it is a BIG boat!!! As I think Ratickle mentioned, they just started making it with trips in last several years and it took a lot of pressure off of just the twin setup which I think alleviated a lot of the drive issues. I love the double bolster setup myself, allows your guests to enjoy a great cruise!!!!

MILD THUNDER
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Agree, Joe, if you have ever driven next to one even in 1 ft chop, they often porpoise and that added with the weight, and HP's are a drive nightmare. My buddy used to have a 38 cig with big power and then went to the BT for cabin space and was upset with the ride. One can not argue tho that the cockpit and cuddy are great accomodations for those that spend the night on board and have guests during the day, it is a BIG boat!!! As I think Ratickle mentioned, they just started making it with trips in last several years and it took a lot of pressure off of just the twin setup which I think alleviated a lot of the drive issues. I love the double bolster setup myself, allows your guests to enjoy a great cruise!!!!

Pretty much what Tony J. from hammond said too when I asked him about the ride difference between his 41 apache and BT. His words were "no comparison". Of course comparing two different animals.

I can see the triples helping the drives live. As for the XR's holding up, I am pretty sure Mark from hammond has XR's on his 46. I do know the XR's werent doing to good behind BZ's 42 Fountain with stock 525's either. Ryan's dads old 386 Sonic with 575's liked to shear the vertical shafts in the bravo's too. I forget if they had standard bravo's or xr's. Now, in their 28 Checkmate, with twin 600's, the standard bravo's held up no problem.

With that being said, Mark's 46 in hammond is one AWESOME boat. I can't believe they dont spend more nights on it, the cabin in those things is bigger than a new york apartment! I know he been wanting to upgrade the drives with the ASD bravo conversion, that would make for a awesome setup.

Eric's 43 BT came with Bravos, and the previous owner upgraded to SSM V's. I think he has some Eddie young 750HP or so engines. I dont think that boat has had any drive issues since the SSM upgrade many years ago. He has a real nice setup there. :cheers2:

Nevr2nd
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Pretty much what Tony J. from hammond said too when I asked him about the ride difference between his 41 apache and BT. His words were "no comparison". Of course comparing two different animals.

I can see the triples helping the drives live. As for the XR's holding up, I am pretty sure Mark from hammond has XR's on his 46. I do know the XR's werent doing to good behind BZ's 42 Fountain with stock 525's either. Ryan's dads old 386 Sonic with 575's liked to shear the vertical shafts in the bravo's too. I forget if they had standard bravo's or xr's. Now, in their 28 Checkmate, with twin 600's, the standard bravo's held up no problem.

With that being said, Mark's 46 in hammond is one AWESOME boat. I can't believe they dont spend more nights on it, the cabin in those things is bigger than a new york apartment! I know he been wanting to upgrade the drives with the ASD bravo conversion, that would make for a awesome setup.

Eric's 43 BT came with Bravos, and the previous owner upgraded to SSM V's. I think he has some Eddie young 750HP or so engines. I dont think that boat has had any drive issues since the SSM upgrade many years ago. He has a real nice setup there. :cheers2:

No drive issues for me (knock on wood) and hope never to have any. It would be a very expensive day!! I suppose I could sell a kidney and one left shoe , Hah!

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I can see the triples helping the drives live. . :cheers2:

Thats why Rich and Brett get away with what the do !!!!

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM

I dont,,,,you and I were to far out front !!! lol

( yes I know I had Rich's truck :( )

boatme
09-29-2011, 06:21 PM

I had a 43 BT and a 38 top gun

BT great in big water but a bit harder ride but i went to Milwaukee and Chicago across the lake often and it was great boat for long weekend

TG was just a great boat in rough water hands down but no room below
Everything is a tradeoff

Nevr2nd
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
I dont,,,,you and I were to far out front !!! lol

( yes I know I had Rich's truck :( )

LOL and the train was coming through!!!

I think someone sh*t themselves, bahahaha!!

OBNOXUS
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
LOL and the train was coming through!!!

I think someone sh*t themselves, bahahaha!!

Poor Cheryl,,,,,:26:

Nevr2nd
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Poor Cheryl,,,,,:26:

Yeah poor Cheryl....but u were laughing as much as I was!!

Ratickle
09-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I had a 43 BT and a 38 top gun

BT great in big water but a bit harder ride but i went to Milwaukee and Chicago across the lake often and it was great boat for long weekend

TG was just a great boat in rough water hands down but no room below
Everything is a tradeoff

Compromise was Bravo's, wasn't it????