PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Boat Handling Guru's....

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
As said, we took the Marlin out for the first time with the new engine and drive.

About the boat;

23'4"
3620 lbs. with the Big Block
Modified Vee of 18 degrees transom
502 modified. I'll have to get the dyno sheets, less than 600 I would guess with the Cutler Fuel injection and semi mild Hydraulic roller.

Used to have a 260/Alpha when I bought it.

Changed to 502 Bravo 1 Standard first

Just changed to XR big shaft with Imco 2" shorty....

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Couple pics;

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/Marlin0004.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/Marlin11024size.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/MarlinXRImcoShorty001.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/MarlinXRImcoShorty003.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/ptrose/Misc%20and%20Personal%20Boats/MarlinXRImcoShorty004.jpg

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 01:02 PM
The drive is almost exactly 5" center of propshaft from bottom of transom with the shorty.

The prop we are testing is a 28 pitch Bravo I four blade.

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
The boat has no tabs.

Comes on plane fine, only a little cavitation, when tucked in just a little, couple of degrees.

Likes to run at 3500RPM, 55 to 56MPH, a couple of degrees maximum uptrim. Any less speed and you can feel the speed drop off as the RPM's come down, even if trimming down a little.

If I trim it up a couple more degrees, the boat steers to the right. If I trim it down a couple of degrees, the boat sets to the left.

WOT, only got just over 4800 at 78.4mph. If I trim up or down from the plus a couple degrees, drops off speed a little. But, if I keep the trim up a little, and really walk it through the goofy chine wiggle, it will come up to 4900RPM or so (did not peek at speed, it was wiggling pretty good in some weird sidewash water).

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Once I get the numbers from the engine for peak RPM and HP, I think I need a 27 pitch or so. But, any input on prop design, style, etc?

Ther is a slight hook in the back of the hull I'll probably take out this winter. Then maybe the 28 is the way to go?

Is it normal with the higher X dimension to have more steering influence from trim? Surprised me the first time with this boat, never did it before.

Best speed we ever saw with the old drive, and a 26" pitch prop, was 82 at 6000 RPM on the chip limiter.

fund razor
09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Is this a scan of a 1982 Kodak 110 photo? :D

But don't answer now. We can talk about it later. Carry on with your drive conversation. Good luck.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
No it shouldn't turn left and right with the trim. It may be because the entire prop is submerged when running. Did you run it with that engine and a stock lower? The x appears{ it is hard to tell for sure by the pic} near standard as was typical in the 80's. You should have external steering at your speeds. That could be contributing to the steering issue as well. In my experience shorties on low X actually tend to hinder performance. Because when you drag the fat part of the gearcase { the part near the mating surface} through the water the increased drag offsets the prop height advantages. In addition to that the gearcase doesn't like to be trimmed much because the crescent drives the stern deeper. Try the stock gearcase if you haven't already with that engine and see if it goes faster. It will like to be trimmed out.

My suggestion is to put external steering at the top of your list. I think you will find a higher X will give you both speed and handling.

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The 82mph number was with the stock gearcase, basically an identical engine before we broke it.... This one is same cam, bore, intake, injection, and heads. Just a new block because we spun a bearing.

This is a 2" shorty though, the old drive was really deep......

Maybe I should watch for a 3" shorty......:sifone:

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
The X is standard, I got the layout paper from Merc when we switched from the Alpha. Actually 2 of the holes were identical if I recall correctly.

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll have Terri help me with a straightedge on the bottom and take a pic....

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Put a straight edge on the boat and extend it past the geacase. Then look at the side to side thickness of the gearcase where the straight edge crosses. The top few inches of the gearcase is much fatter then section below it and before the bullet. If you are dragging the fat part through the water it won't matter how high the prop shaft is.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
A shorty upper would be better in your case but, I don't think anyone makes one for a stock gimble.

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
The part where it increases in thickness is 7/8" above the keel straightline.

Steering, huh????:sifone:

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I guess 3" shortys have clearance problems for the props.....

Tinkerer
09-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Still looks deep. I would cut the transom and raise it another 2 inches. Bad handling and sensitive to trim has been prop too deep for me.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
The part where it increases in thickness is 7/8" above the keel straightline.

Steering, huh????:sifone:

The water rises and that fat part is likely in the flow.

Yes, Steering. I think anything over 70 steering is a must. 80+ absolutely.

rschap1
09-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I see trouble that will be easy to fix and provide BIG gains easily...

Getting rid of those aerodynamically troubling neon color splotches may net a mph or 2

AND

adjusting the pitot tube pick up for the speedo will surely show BIG improvments according to the gage.

Just here to help.

BTW...
you are welcome:)

Ratickle
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
That pitot tube kicks up and doesn't work 90% of the time. I use the GPS....

Even when it's down it is amazing how different they read.....

Those splotches add speed, can't you tell that by the aerodynamic layout?????

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Even when it's down it is amazing how different they read.....

Yea, Most speedos are pretty happy.

Ratickle
09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Yea, Most speedos are pretty happy.

On this boat the opposite is the case. GPS will be 55, cheapazz speedo setup will be 35.....

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Do what the old engine shops used to do. Tweak the spring so it reads higher.

Ratickle
09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Do what the old engine shops used to do. Tweak the spring so it reads higher.

:sifone::sifone::sifone:

Offshore Ginger
09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Paul not that i dont already know............. but who did the set up on your drive , and Paul loose the trailer because down the road you just might experience some more problems $$$$$$

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Yea I agree, replace the hook' her trailer rollers with bunks. That hook you talked about fixing was likely caused by the trailer and will come back if you fix it and set it back on the same trailer.
Hook'her trailers are for fishing boats not speed boats.

Ratickle
09-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Paul not that i dont already know............. but who did the set up on your drive , and Paul loose the trailer because down the road you just might experience some more problems $$$$$$

Drive setup was basically made by the manufacturer in 1988, Marlin Boats, Tigard, Oregon. I have the original Hot Boat test on the 89 model somehere.

When Dan, down at Gun Lake, made the switch from the 260/Alpha to the 502/BravoI we got the template from Mercury for the original boat, (it was offered with either the 330 Bravo, the King Cobra, or the way this one came with the Alpha), and lined it up over the Alpha holes as recommended by Merc. That was in 1994, so the drive heights were still fairly low.

This time I puked an engine, so Ben did the rebuild with a new block etc. We decided to go with an XR for the strength, the one I bought had a bad set of lower bearings, so I found the 2" shorty Imco and put that on with all XR inners. I was originally concerned about raising the prop 2" for coming on plane etc., but Ben said the drive was so low 3" short would not be an issue. He was obviously right, and now everyone is still saying higher.

I don't know if I'll make any changes currently to the X, but who knows. I'd rather get the BT completely done first. (Or buy a race boat and finish it), before I put a lot more time and $ into this one.......

It runs pretty strong for a fuel injected 502, and it actually handles well as long as you are very careful on excessive trim up or down. It wants to run with the drive up maybe 1 or 2 degrees, 3500 RPM to WOT, and that's it:).

And yeah, I'm careful with that trailer, I've replaced all the bearings, brakes, surge actuator, etc., and still stop every 20 miles or so and feel the hubs to make sure the bearings aren't overheating.

Ratickle
09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Yea I agree, replace the hook' her trailer rollers with bunks. That hook you talked about fixing was likely caused by the trailer and will come back if you fix it and set it back on the same trailer.
Hook'her trailers are for fishing boats not speed boats.

I'm trying to decide if buying a different trailer or putting bunks and a second axle on this one, is the way to go. The boat was a lot lighter when it came with this trailer with the small block/Alpha setup.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Keep it simple just add bunks.

Ratickle
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I sure feel a lot more comfy towing with a tandem, or triple, axle trailer than this single. A friggin blowout, or wheel falling off, is really interesting with a single.....

And this would be a lot easier boat to tow to LOTO, or Texas:sifone:, than the BT........

Offshore Ginger
09-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Keep it simple just add bunks.:iagree: Paul , to tell you the truth my only concern about the trailer was the same as Jim's and Paul i have that same Mag .:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Either way Paul you are going to have to stop and fix it single or tandem.

If you want a tandem buy a tandem.

If you come to Texas will you take the easy way or the hard way?:smash:

Bradz
09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I would add hydraulic steering first. Those drives can move around and cause problems at 80 mph.

Ratickle
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
:iagree: Paul , to tell you the truth my only concern about the trailer was the same as Jim's and Paul i have that same Mag .:)

You have the original mag? I just have a reprint of the article in Black and White before they went out of business......:(

I may have to beat you up and scan yours......:sifone:

Ratickle
09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Either way Paul you are going to have to stop and fix it single or tandem.

If you want a tandem buy a tandem.

If you come to Texas will you take the easy way or the hard way?:smash:

The easy way is to fly, stay with you, and run around with you and Griswold while drinking margaritas and not drive a boat or car.....:sifone: