PDA

View Full Version : Skater or Eliminator

Tinkerer
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
What are the +'s and -'s of each.
Looking for a used one in the 28 to 32 ft range.
I will be running it on inland lakes most of the time.

Thanks Steve

Offshore Ginger
09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Skater , without a doubt , and how many Eliminators have you ever seen take home as many world championships as Skater, and not to mention Resale value to building boats using all composites from Epoxy , Kevlar ,Carbon Fiber , S & E glass , along with vacuum baging , and need i say any more ? Ha Ha Ha

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Are you thinking IO or Outboard?

And have you reviewed insurance costs?

And, what are the chances you'd use it in the big lake and maybe spend a weekend on it????? (33 Ocean Express comes to mind for that)....

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I owned a 23 Eliminator Cat with outboards. Got it new in '86. Other then the fancy aluminum anodized trim I have nothing nice to say about it. Plus having worked on both there is no comparison IMO. Skater has the quality, design, ride and resale.

Bradz
09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I have owned both and like both. I have owned and or been in dozens of Skaters and Eliminators.First of all for all out performance the Skater is a better boat. But....for inland lakes where top speed and rough water are not an issue the Eliminator Daytona is a good choice. Here is why. The true cats will porpoise at 70 mph + - which is real annoying on small lakes where that is a good cruising speed. The Eliminators have a real soft ride at lower speeds no porpoise and more creature comforts like a cuddy. If you plan to spend time at over 100 mph get the Skater hands down. The Eliminator can be a little scary at big speeds in nasty water. The Skater feels better the faster you go. The fit and finish on the newer Eliminators is really nice. The Skaters are normally low on bling and more about the performance. I would also look at DCB as a another choice.

old377guy
09-12-2011, 01:16 PM
like Bradz said

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm an original West Coaster so familiar with the Eliminators. Moved to Michigan so lean towards Skaters.

I've never owned either, but when you say "newer" Brad, what do you consider the years to be in there?

As for the early to mid 80's, most builders were putting out some questionable products with the economic meltdown the country was in. I know each boat from some builders were different in the same model as to form, fit, and function...:eek:

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Bradz knows. One thing not yet mentioned is preferred power. Skater doesn't make a single I/O if that's what your after.

DiamondPerformance
09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=1308

Bobcat
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Lot easier to climb in/out of the seats in Eliminators & DCB's for larger folks.

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Lot easier to climb in/out of the seats in Eliminators & DCB's for larger folks.

Who told you??????:sifone:

Bobcat
09-12-2011, 05:48 PM
My right knee!:eek:

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I heard you were a "little" guy.....:sifone:

old377guy
09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I heard you were a "little" guy.....:sifone:

probably referring to specific part of anatomy:sifone:

Bobcat
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
If I could only edit on this page:smash:

:sifone:

Ratickle
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
If I could only edit on this page:smash:

:sifone:

I can:bump:

old377guy
09-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd apologize, but it's way too late for that and I wouldn't really mean it

Tinkerer
09-12-2011, 10:49 PM
looking for an I/O - twins.
I would like to have somewhere to sleep.
It would go to lake Mi once in a while.
It would be used for cruising most of the time with bursts to speed when the urge hits.
My wife hates the waves. We just don't use the SCARAB for what we bought it for anymore.
We used to make a weekend out of it. Now it is used as a day boat. I would like something that would bring the thrill back. It would cost a lot of $ to make the SCARAB do 100.

What do you think about the Specters

rschap1
09-13-2011, 07:59 AM
How much for the Scarab?
When is it going up for sale??

Slandrew
09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Both nice boats never drove either but Skater on the East coast it gets choppy in bays&Ocean!

jdoss
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Might want to check Pat Mchugh out http://www.mchughracing.com/ he builds an awesome 32 and not it is not a splash of anyone. I watched him build the plug for a couple of yrs. His boats have no room for a cabin.

Ratickle
09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
When I was looking at all-around cats, I ended up with the Vee's due to insurance costs, I liked the Ocean Express. Not a lot of them out there, but really nothing bad anyone has to say. They are bigger than your average Skater or Eliminator. Handle rough water great. Are a little slower due to the overall size and weight. But, Ross builds a great boat and will take the time to talk to you about any questions you may have.

The big issue with me was the combination of rough water capability and also having an overnight capability.

Best deal out there right now;

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/2563869878.html

Offshore Ginger
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Paul, are you really serious, and not to mention the H.P.to really get that slug to move thru the water or .............should i say ................what a waste of money and good gas .