PDA

View Full Version : Finally took apart the blown 509"

htrdlncn
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1846409763480.2110410.1337757563

its the last few pics in the album
valve seat fell out of this exhaust valve, got chewed up and pieces pulled thru intake into adjoining cylinders

Ratickle
08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
I really hate it when the little things cause really big problems.

Bobcat
08-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Ouch!

Griswald
08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
that looks to have happened at WTFO. Bummer.

I'd be in touch with the guy who did the heads immediately

htrdlncn
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I was at around 3500rpm when it happened,at WOT I imagine the blower boost might have kept the parts in just one cylinder but at cruise the vacuum sucked the parts around.

As for the head guy, I already know what reponse will be and I am done dealing with any local place...
The heads came from a very reputable shop that said they were just redone,
they were checked by my engine shop at the time who said they needed to be redone
and he did, when engine was freshened up after getting water from bad NEW exhaust manifold I used another very well known shop who said the heads werent done right and
needed to be redone, he is the last person to touch them.
Whats funny is this last go around Doug and myself rebuilt the engine ourselves
(somehow spun main bearings for no fuggin reason(mains looked burnt leading me to believe mains were set too tight) but last engine builder above took no reponsibility) we used a local machine shop for the basic machine work , triple checked every clearence on everything they touched,did everything else in my shop and all the work we did is still in perfect shape, only thing that failed was the one thing we did not do since we figured the heads should be fine since they had less than 50 hours since being redone ...
I am done trusting any shop, from now on we will be doing the all the assembly work ourselves and just using machine shop for the metalwork and checking that three times before doing anything....
The spare engine in my boat now was rebuilt by Doug for his Celebrity using the above method, it has probably
close to 100 hours most at WOT with zero engine problems, only failure so far was iginition module which isnt the engines fault..,he also has been burned by engine shops before and
is sick of dealing with them as well .

Griswald
08-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you're using the wrong shops to begin with. I've got a guy and you know who he is. He's been building my motors for close to 20yrs now and I have NEVER, not once, had a problem with his machine work or assembly. Good parts are the 2nd part to the equation.

Good luck, let me know if I can help.

htrdlncn
08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I appreciate it ,let you know when the time comes

ROGUE
08-25-2011, 09:06 AM
YUP,

I was at around 3500rpm when it happened,at WOT I imagine the blower boost might have kept the parts in just one cylinder but at cruise the vacuum sucked the parts around.

As for the head guy, I already know what reponse will be and I am done dealing with any local place...
The heads came from a very reputable shop that said they were just redone,
they were checked by my engine shop at the time who said they needed to be redone
and he did, when engine was freshened up after getting water from bad NEW exhaust manifold I used another very well known shop who said the heads werent done right and
needed to be redone, he is the last person to touch them.
Whats funny is this last go around Doug and myself rebuilt the engine ourselves
(somehow spun main bearings for no fuggin reason(mains looked burnt leading me to believe mains were set too tight) but last engine builder above took no reponsibility) we used a local machine shop for the basic machine work , triple checked every clearence on everything they touched,did everything else in my shop and all the work we did is still in perfect shape, only thing that failed was the one thing we did not do since we figured the heads should be fine since they had less than 50 hours since being redone ...
I am done trusting any shop, from now on we will be doing the all the assembly work ourselves and just using machine shop for the metalwork and checking that three times before doing anything....
The spare engine in my boat now was rebuilt by Doug for his Celebrity using the above method, it has probably
close to 100 hours most at WOT with zero engine problems, only failure so far was iginition module which isnt the engines fault..,he also has been burned by engine shops before and
is sick of dealing with them as well .

cdail28590
08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
My new rebuilt motor had the same fate as yours earlier this year. I can't blame anyone but myself. The engine supposedly had 10 hrs when it ate the cam so when we took it apart I didn't get the heads checked and I had the timing set higher than what it was on the dyno. It was a costly mistake not to be made again.