PDA

View Full Version : R&R transmission in a NXT drive was a pain.

Bertram38
10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I help do a trans in a 2007 outerlimits yesterday, Wow what a pain in my @ss.
This thing has triple 700s and can they ever smash these engines in there.
The water pickup in the Gimble is a pain to wrench on, and the seal between the trans and gimble is fussy to aline when you are holding a gimble that weighs a ton. Just seems to me like a good idea at first, but now I would rather have a 72C trans or crash box before i would stuff it between engine and gimble. Then aline this thing when you are done installing it. Can not even see the mounts or a way to adjust. My buddy will call Mercruiser to find out the correct way to aline. Seems abit rough to do in my eyes.
Nothing is easy no more like the old days. Sure wish I could afford such a toy.
Just my 2 cents worth on NXT drives. :huh:
Old farts forever
B38

BBB725
10-22-2010, 12:52 PM
What you explained is exactly my big beef with automotive engineers, car companies should make it a requirement that the engineers have to work on cars for 6 months before they are allowed to design anything

Coolerman
10-22-2010, 01:05 PM
What you explained is exactly my big beef with automotive engineers, car companies should make it a requirement that the engineers have to work on cars for 6 months before they are allowed to design anything

No kidding..... There are so many "engineers" out there that have never felt what it is like to actually wrench on something.

txriverrat2001
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Come on..... you guys know why they do $hit like this don't ya????

An engineer caught a mechanic banging his wife!!!!!

htrdlncn
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Nothing like a car/boat where you have to goddamn near pull the engine to change sparkplugs or a starter..

Bertram38
10-23-2010, 07:33 AM
UPDATE
Today we must remove engine cover and lift port engine to align with merc tool. WTF. Engine mounts have settled down or crushed. Need to remove motor mount bolts and see what happened. Or we must shim this thing to align. front mounts are solid. rear are like a stock bravo. so lets see what happens today on this 3 rd attempt to get this right. We are talking about 1/4 inch we need to get it straight. :smash:
B38
That is what you get when you pay the big money for a 50'. Outer:cuss:

BBB725
10-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Nothing like a car/boat where you have to goddamn near pull the engine to change sparkplugs or a starter..

1977 Ford Mustang Corba II or 1978 Cadilac Seville are two that come to mind:D

Bobcat
10-23-2010, 08:34 AM
83 Gt Mustang, loosen motor mounts and jack up engine to replace right side spark plugs.

phragle
10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
50' ol with trip. 700's..the red one or the blue one???

Bertram38
10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
OOPs should I say wich one it is. :confused:

Must be only two I see now.

Either way, I belive merc has the problem with this alignement issue, we have stopped work on it untill we get a diffinant aswere. We may pull the starboard drive to see how that one is aligned.
If they are the same, we will reinstall.

B38