PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cut the hook out of a 28ss?

Tony
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I reccently gutted and re rigged my 28, I kept the TRS drives and increased hp (around 400ish) per side SBC. In the process I took roughly 500 lbs. of iron out of the bilge. The running attitude of the boat has changed dramatically and not for the better. No matter how much I trim the thing I cant get the bow out of the water, it wants to run flat on the keel. The boat feels tight and just plain wrong. Back when it had 100% iron parts and 300 tired hp. I had no problem getting the boat to loosen up and carry the bow with junk cleaver props. There is a little bit of hook in the lifting strakes in the last 12" of the hull. I really dont see any need for the hook as the boat pops on plane with the new power and lighter weight.

Has anyone ever straightened the bottom on one of theese hulls? Pros? Cons?

phragle
10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Tony, did you switch props??

Tony
10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
yeah. Now running Mirage+ went back to the cleavers and the boat ran the same.

Donskihp
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
How about trying props with no transome lift,or props with the difusser cut off? I personally would resort to shaving the botton as a last resort. Check with one of propeller guru like bblades or throttle up, they can probably help a lot.

Tony
10-17-2010, 09:31 PM
After doing a ton of searching Mirage plus seemed to be the way to go on this hull. I havent ruled out props yet. We have an excellent local guy who does bottom blueprinting. I could probably get rid of the hook for about the same price as a new set of props.