10-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice rips!

What is that hydrofoil thing at 1:25?

Ron P
10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Cool stuff. Did you get it to "Fly"?

Slandrew
10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice very cool boats!Gives ya flash backs!

Scotty B
10-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I was there to witness the wing run and it was just awesome, a great weekend

boatme
10-13-2010, 06:17 AM
very cool to see the wing in action

T2x
10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Cool stuff. Did you get it to "Fly"?

The 20 footer porpoises much more than the 18 due to less lift in the wing section and mine doesn't actually take off until between 85 and 95.......

I have had her pop off the water into the wind at a lower speed but the air was relatively still last weekend in Florida.

We did get her up to about 108 in that video....with a LOT of throttle and acceleration left.

Rich

T2x
10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I was there to witness the wing run and it was just awesome, a great weekend

Thanks Scotty..... and thanks for everything you and the Geico team contributed to the event.

T2x
10-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Nice rips!

What is that hydrofoil thing at 1:25?

It is a Russian aluminum military hydrofoil from the Cold War days and at one time had a machine gun mounted on the front deck before being converted to an officer's pleasure boat.

lucky strike
10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the video.

Ratickle
10-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Sweet Rich.

Who has the one for sale now in Canada?

T2x
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Sweet Rich.

Who has the one for sale now in Canada?

Ted Boyd bought it last year and has restored it beautifully

T2x
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Bottom line is I have no idea about the top speed. Bill Welch (Merc's ex racing manager) suggested I simply try and exceed the maximum speed record set by a wing back in the day. However, that depends on which "record". Ken Kitson averaged over 117 with an 18 footer running two ways on an NOA record kilo course... (topped out over 120 in one direction). Odell Lewis and Dave Craig ran the "7000" wing up to about 125 at Lake X.
These speeds should be easily attained....... Currently she is propped for a theoretical 180 with zero % slip at 10,000 RPM. I saw about 6000-6500 RPM over the weekend at 100-110.... There is no way she will stay on the water up to full RPM IMHO. In the meantime I want to get the mid range lope out of her before going any faster.

Time will tell.

fast fun 2
10-14-2010, 08:45 AM
The Wing is truely a work of art, theres nothing quite like seeing it in run in person

T2x
10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
The Wing is truely a work of art, theres nothing quite like seeing it in run in person

Thank you Johnny.

Just spoke to Bobby..... He's on his way to Hyannis.

T2x

elvisali
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
That is an amazing ride...congrats on all the work that went into the restore

Not to threadjack, and maybe better for another thread, but how was the planned breakfast with old and new racers? Did it happen....what was discussed?

T2x
10-14-2010, 01:24 PM
That is an amazing ride...congrats on all the work that went into the restore

Not to threadjack, and maybe better for another thread, but how was the planned breakfast with old and new racers? Did it happen....what was discussed?

It happened......... small but well rounded turnout.

Details will follow in a few days

shifter
10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Are you spinning in or out?

Looks like she is listing a little to the left...:D

pat W

T2x
10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Are you spinning in or out?

Looks like she is listing a little to the left...:D

pat W

Spinning out of course...although Jerry G was insistent that I am set up backwards......

My propeller beanie was spinning downward and that needs to be fixed..:D

elvisali
10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
It happened......... small but well rounded turnout.

Details will follow in a few days

Sounds good, look forward to hearing about it

Rik
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
UMM...Where is this going?

I'll give a straight answer and you'll post some snide remark...and here we go again?

Bottom line is I have no idea about the top speed. Bill Welch (Merc's ex racing manager) suggested I simply try and exceed the maximum speed record set by a wing back in the day. However, that depends on which "record". Ken Kitson averaged over 117 with an 18 footer running two ways on an NOA record kilo course... (topped out over 120 in one direction). Odell Lewis and Dave Craig ran the "7000" wing up to about 125 at Lake X.
These speeds should be easily attained....... Currently she is propped for a theoretical 180 with zero % slip at 10,000 RPM. I saw about 6000-6500 RPM over the weekend at 100-110.... There is no way she will stay on the water up to full RPM IMHO. In the meantime I want to get the mid range lope out of her before going any faster.

Time will tell.

Looks to have seating for two, how is the handling with the extra person on board?

shifter
10-18-2010, 02:10 AM
How is Mr. G? He might be right you cannot knock it until you try it.

I really like the wing it is all about what is missing these days in racing.

Good luck with her.

pat W:sifone:

Rik don't even think about it..... you are not allowed to ride along. I was thinking the same thing,... he needs a counter ballance and another beanie. What rotation is on the beanie?:huh:

T2x
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
How is Mr. G? He might be right you cannot knock it until you try it.

I really like the wing it is all about what is missing these days in racing.

Good luck with her.

pat W:sifone:

Rik don't even think about it..... you are not allowed to ride along. I was thinking the same thing,... he needs a counter ballance and another beanie. What rotation is on the beanie?:huh:

Jerry is doing fine....... and looked great at OFF.

I spoke to just about everybody who ever flew a wing... (most of them were at OFF).....and not one of them ever spun the props inboard. The hull wants stern lift...(It is a hydro not a cat and many don't relate to the significant differences between the two designs)..... I am vehemently opposed to "spinning in" on almost every other hull because I believe firmly that this aggravates the tendency to lean out and barrel roll in turns. As currently set up, she slides perfectly when turning due to the short fins that we installed at the back of the forward steps balanced against the rotation of the LU's. We are moving some weight around and increasing the depth on the aileron to try and calm her down, before I play with any rotational changes.

Rik...you are welcome in the passenger seat at any time....but , so far, nobody has actually volunteered for that opportunity......:D

Rich

BBB725
10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Real cool seeing that video, reminds me of my younger days, hanging out with the Merten's and watching their dad test stuff

shifter
10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Jerry ran those skid fins on the 46 SKater Alcone..... I always liked a pivot point.

How much rocker is in the bottom?

Where does the cg end up with you in it?

Where do you run the trim?

If you put Rik (dead weight) in the Starboard side it might push the cg enough to stop the porpoising and add a little stability for high speed.

pat W

Jerry is doing fine....... and looked great at OFF.

I spoke to just about everybody who ever flew a wing... (most of them were at OFF).....and not one of them ever spun the props inboard. The hull wants stern lift...(It is a hydro not a cat and many don't relate to the significant differences between the two designs)..... I am vehemently opposed to "spinning in" on almost every other hull because I believe firmly that this aggravates the tendency to lean out and barrel roll in turns. As currently set up, she slides perfectly when turning due to the short fins that we installed at the back of the forward steps balanced against the rotation of the LU's. We are moving some weight around and increasing the depth on the aileron to try and calm her down, before I play with any rotational changes.

Rik...you are welcome in the passenger seat at any time....but , so far, nobody has actually volunteered for that opportunity......:D

Rich

T2x
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Jerry ran those skid fins on the 46 SKater Alcone..... I always liked a pivot point.

How much rocker is in the bottom?

Where does the cg end up with you in it?

Where do you run the trim?

If you put Rik (dead weight) in the Starboard side it might push the cg enough to stop the porpoising and add a little stability for high speed.

pat W

No rocker....but the forward step is 4-5 inches deep (tapered bottom)...

C/G is basically in the middle of the fuel tanks.. (midway from cockpit to transom) and the boat does not rotate for nor aft when airborne..... good balance. However I am running a 60 lb sand bag in the passenger cockpit so we are moving both batteries to that side and forward to the back of the step (from parallel to the back of the wing section currently)

I have run the trim everywhere from negative 7 degrees to almost level, but not in uniform conditions...I need more testing for both trim and prop depth (adjustable on these motors from 3" under to 4.5" under)....... to find the "sweet spot". Boat should run best at lowest engine height with about 5 degrees negative trim according to Ken Kitson....(World Champion Wing driver from back in the day)...... Of course he never ran high rake props or 4 blades either.

The 20 footer is definitely more prone to loping than the smaller 18 but it needs to come out of that lope by 70 mph or so and fly level..... Right now it is carrying the lope well above that speed. Perfect flight angle is running on the prop shafts aft (bottom 3-4 inches above the water) and the forward sponsons running at the same height or slightly lower ....totally airborne.

shifter
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
With the higher rake it should need less trim. How about 5 or 6 blade for a little more transom lift?

I think Rik weighs 60 lbs wet...

What was the weight difference on the original engines to the current ones?

Do you have jack plates on there?

pat W

Sorry for all the questions just very interesting.

T2x
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
With the higher rake it should need less trim. How about 5 or 6 blade for a little more transom lift?

I think Rik weighs 60 lbs wet...

What was the weight difference on the original engines to the current ones?

Do you have jack plates on there?

pat W

Sorry for all the questions just very interesting.

These engines are about 80 lbs heavier (each) than the original "Stackers".....

No jack plates...Merc Formula 1 engines have internal hydraulic lift.

shifter
10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
You need to do a photo "expose" and a write up on the wing....

To turn it do you back off let it settle the sponson(s)?:huh:
pat W

T2x
10-18-2010, 05:54 PM
You need to do a photo "expose" and a write up on the wing....

To turn it do you back off let it settle the sponson(s)?:huh:
pat W

You have to set the sponsons before turning......

Before the fins....when you turned the wheel at speed...the bow turned but the boat kept going in the direction the engines were pointed.......... now it takes a set at about 75 to 80 and carves a turn beautifully. I could turn tighter/faster with a longer fin like the hydros use today but that would require a lot of reinforcement and for Vintage use is totally unneccessary.

shifter
10-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Are you running the #4 SSM gearcases or stock type?

It is nice they put the vertical trim in the mid section.

After you cut the power does it float for a bit before it settles going into the turn?

pat W

T2x
10-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Are you running the #4 SSM gearcases or stock type?

It is nice they put the vertical trim in the mid section.

After you cut the power does it float for a bit before it settles going into the turn?

pat W

#4 SSM's...stock gearcases would throw the wing around like a volleyball IMHO.

She glides a little bit after chopping the power but nothing out of the ordinary ...The direct drive and 4 blade props act like brakes back there.

BBB725
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I remember when Mercury had brakes on their boats

shifter
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I did some extensive work on those funny little drives in the recent past..... When you want to get more out of her let me know.

pat W:reddevil:

T2x
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I did some extensive work on those funny little drives in the recent past..... When you want to get more out of her let me know.

pat W:reddevil:

I've got too much power already....but the Champ guys would be very interested.

Have you worked with any of them?

T2x
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I remember when Mercury had brakes on their boats

I test drove one of those..... There were instances where they pulled the transoms out of sponsons, and finding the right sized ball for the end of the plungers was B*tch.

shifter
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Just worked over seas with a few teams.

You can never have enough power....

pat W

T2x
10-21-2010, 12:02 PM
You can never have enough power....

pat W

True....but you can have not enough boat.

Magicfloat
10-21-2010, 06:57 PM
KInd of cool that when Bob and Dave Switzer designed the 20' Wing over 40 years ago,they knew the motors did not exist at the time for its full potential. But I bet they never expected the power Rich would bolt on and make it work.Another tribute to the early genius of the Switzer brothers. Geat job,Rich,Bob and Dave must be proud.

T2x
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM
KInd of cool that when Bob and Dave Switzer designed the 20' Wing over 40 years ago,they knew the motors did not exist at the time for its full potential. But I bet they never expected the power Rich would bolt on and make it work.Another tribute to the early genius of the Switzer brothers. Geat job,Rich,Bob and Dave must be proud.

Thank you............

We all need to get together next year at the Switzer Regatta....Bring your Shooting Star...

Magicfloat
10-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I sold my nice red Star to Bob Switzer's son,so it is in good hands. He said he was just a kid when his dad built it. He is building a collection of old Switzers.My 1967 Star is still waiting on restoration,slow procees. I have a 1968 1000 SS and a set of Quiincy stacks for it,but I just can not find the time to work on it. I even have the original TrailStar trailer that was puchased with the boat from the Switzer factory.

Strip Poker 388
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
thats cool thanks for sharing