PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a new "Doublewide"

Buoy
09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Man, I've spent the last three weekends looking for a new place to call home.
Found two places this weekend, one I absolutely fell in love with, slightly higher than I want to pay. Another, left me with plenty of $$ to make it what I want.
Both places sold TODAY.
So, the search goes on.
What is shocking, and a bit sad is the number of houses I'm looking at that have a sticker on the front door that says the house is abandoned/vacant and going to foreclosure. This is 50-60% of the homes I'm finding.
There was a house I looked at yesterday that is on the market for what has to be 1/3 of the original price, and the couple were having a yard sale. I spoke with them for a few moments and felt awful for them. The yard sale consisted of household items and even cassette tapes. Desperate. I couldn't bring myself to buy their toaster.
I felt bad for them, but at the same time, things are getting back into "check" and I can look for something nice at a reasonable price.
A lot of people got in over their head, I'm glad I never did.

Ratickle
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Yep, it's really tough on quite a few. Some are predicting an additional 25% to 30% additional devaluation in housing values before it's done.

MacGyver
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
A lot of people got in over their head, I'm glad I never did.

Yup, you hit the nail right on the head, Tim.
I'm glad I live within my means too.

Buoy
09-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Yup, you hit the nail right on the head, Tim.
I'm glad I live within my means too.

Yeah, but I have to admit, I've been sitting on a property for the past year and a half that has been costing me ~$1500 a mos. by the time it's all said and done. That's almost $30K.
The thought of walking away has crossed my mind many times.
The thought that doing so would completely screw my opportunities of buying a new place kept me paying on it.
I know to some you guys $1500 a month is a weekend in fuel... but, I ain't one of those guys. I don't make a bad living, but I can barely afford to play in this hi-perf boat game at all.
But, I only have a loan out on one vehicle, and my credit cards have zero balance. I eat well, and I can afford all my bad habits.
I'm not the guy running to the Gov't looking for my piece of the next hand-out.

Bobcat
09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Must be tough finding a place that allows naked smoking.:eek:

Buoy
09-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Must be tough finding a place that allows naked smoking.:eek:

out here, not at all!!
Matter of fact, any place I buy, the first thing I'm putting in is an outdoor shower.
Morning sunshine, view of the mountains, and walking around naked outside to take a shower...

Buoy
09-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Actually ran into a coyote while I was at one of the properties yesterday.

Ratickle
09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
out here, not at all!!
Matter of fact, any place I buy, the first thing I'm putting in is an outdoor shower.
Morning sunshine, view of the mountains, and walking around naked outside to take a shower...

My friend's place in Havasu has an outside urinal around the corner from the pool......

Bobcat
09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
My whole world is an outdoor urinal:)

Ratickle
09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
My whole world is an outdoor urinal:)

Saw that "native" thread....

Bobcat
09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Actually ran into a coyote while I was at one of the properties yesterday.
Aren't coyotes the ones that bring in the illegals ? :D

Saw that "native" thread....

I'm peeing now.........thank goodness for tiled floors.:ack2:

Buoy
09-06-2010, 10:53 PM
My friend's place in Havasu has an outside urinal around the corner from the pool......

Gotta admit, while working in the backyard there have been times where it was more convenient to water the palm trees than it would have been to go into the house...

Buoy
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Aren't coyotes the ones that bring in the illegals ? :D

Yeah, but that little problem seems to be taking care of itself.
I'm loving the political direction AZ is starting to take. It's the wild west out here - in a very good way.
I always thought TX was badazz, but I see AZ leading the march.
I love it.

rschap1
09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Speaking about the economy and real estate markets/prices..
I keep wondering what is going too happen, how bad will it get when so many folks quit getting their un-employment extension extension extensions....
There has to be a BIG number of homes being hung onto barely by the lil' bit of unemployment $$ get dispensed now. When those stop hitting mailboxes, what then??

ImaPoser
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
We can't afford to let it happen. They'll keep extending the benefits to keep that from happening.