PDA

View Full Version : Repainted boat, shiny areas VS dull areas.

PARADOX
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
OK.. I repainted my Infinity and made it all white. Gained some new respect to painters. I never used a paint gun so I have some problems.
Some areas are nice and shiny, some are dull or mate looking. This is probobly due to wrong spray gun use and areas that are shiny and good had more paint. Areas that are dull... too much air not enough paint or something.
So.. How can I make the faded, mate looking areas shiny, with out more painting.?
THx
P

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
It depends on what paint u used , but usually wet sand and buff...i gues u used single stage ..so its very hard to do !! IMO

U should of waited untill my painter gets back from georgia..i told him already about your boat !?

Offshore Ginger
06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey guy from the sound of things in some areas your paint was too dry and not wet enough and seeing that this was your first time ever spraying using a gun it usally takes a while to learn just how to dial the gun in and using proper painting technigues which comes with time and experience and just curious what type of paint did you use and how many coats did you spray ? I, have to say that if you would have ever seen any of my first spray jobs you would just laugh and talk about sag's or should i say curtains along with the paint looking wet & dry in some areas .:sifone:

PARADOX
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
You got it. I knew I don't have the skills for this, but it's a 10K boat.
I used Brightside primer and top coat. One + primer coat and a thin first finish coat and a heavier second top coat. The second coat is ok some places and you are right. Some places too dry. I really didn't want to do this, but what the hey. It's all white. :)
Not really all that bad for my first and last time.

Offshore Ginger
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
PARADOX , do not throw yourself under the bus because the more you spray the better you will get like any other skill and besides the only person you really have to please is yourself .

PARADOX
06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
No worries. No bus jumping. :)

northernoffshore
06-12-2010, 01:22 AM
go find a kid from a body shop who can teach you how to wet sand and buff.

PARADOX
06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
It depends on what paint u used , but usually wet sand and buff...i gues u used single stage ..so its very hard to do !! IMO

U should of waited untill my painter gets back from georgia..i told him already about your boat !?

Bud.. I waited over a month for "your" painter to call me to get the Avanti scratch fixed.
I have yet to hear from him. :rolleyes:

afr
06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
no body asked me
DD you must a forgot about me hu

Offshore Ginger
06-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Scott , funny thing some people can never connect ..........:)

DAREDEVIL
06-15-2010, 08:26 PM
no body asked me
DD you must a forgot about me hu

I actually did..lol

But u should contact him now, since my painter can't do it.
Bobby is moving to Georgia in 4 weeks and still has to finish some other stuff !!!!!

That maybe is the reason why he never called ?!:confused:

afr
06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Scott , funny thing some people can never connect ..........:)

yea i cant addvertise in every town lol even with the internet lol

DD you did ?
why didnt he call me then
or maybe he did i think someone did call but couldnt bring the boat to me
as exspensive as paint is today it aint worth doing it outside anymore
plus he would have got a better job even being a rookie if sprayed it inside or made a temp booth out of something plus playing the wind takes a whole lot of practice

no big deal paradox you can call me for advice if you like just do it around lunch time we cant even hear the phone sometimes nor do we have time to answer it but i do check my messages several times during the day and i return all calls the same day