PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Boats

Hard Charger
11-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Where does Sonic rank on the spectrum of performance boats? I have a 28' and love it. I run it in the Albemarle Sound and Atlantic where its always choppy or rough.

Madcow
11-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Well built, well rigged boats. Not the fastest out there, but I never had a compliant with my 42.

Top Banana
11-27-2008, 08:25 PM
The Sonic 42 is really my old 38 Banana Boat.

Check out the Why is the Apache so great thread.....or go to the website at www.bananaboatco.com

Started as 38 banana race boat called Top Banana. Then Coyotes were made out of the same mold in both 38 and 34 foot sizes, then molds were sold to Sonic.

It took Cigarette 2 years of hard work to get the 38 Top Gun (Ajac Hawk) to beat my hull design. That bottom is a great rough water bottom.

Fever Mike
11-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I always considered Sonic to be a very well built higher end boat. They just do not have the race heritage as other brands.

spilman
11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I used to get upset when people thought my boat was a Sonic. I actually looked @ Sonic before I found New Moon, my 28AT. They are a large solid hull, with a comfortable cabin and nice lines. Well built and rigged...Tough to make a hull like that go fast, but a nice ride in the rough. The 42 & 45 I see on the St.Lawrence River ride the 2-3's quite well.

Madcow
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
my 42 was definatly a tank in rough water. I have rode in other 42s that did not come close.

Hard Charger
11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
It seems AT and Sonic are very similar hull and quality. Or is AT considered an upgraded Sonic like an Escalade to a Tahoe.

45Sonic
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
It seems AT and Sonic are very similar hull and quality. Or is AT considered an upgraded Sonic like an Escalade to a Tahoe.

Ouch that hurt.

I personally have owned four Sonics.

Hard Charger
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah that hurt me as well being that I own a Sonic. Let me re-phrase that analogy. Is AT and Sonic more like a Tahoe is to Yukon.

Jassman
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah that hurt me as well being that I own a Sonic. Let me re-phrase that analogy. Is AT and Sonic more like a Tahoe is to Yukon.

No, totally two different boats, and I like both for different reasons in their marketplace. The Sonic has a higher deck line which yeilds more headroom in the cabin. The 38' Sonic is also non-stepped, which rides great in the ruff stuff, but not quite as good as the 37 A.T... A.T. is more customized, uses different materials in their lamination schedule. It is a good value for what you are paying....I've owned a 03-37 A.T and a 00-42 SS...But my last 3 boats have been an 04, 07, and now a 08 43 Nor-Tech.

Madcow
11-28-2008, 06:17 PM

That makes sense. Jay Ross went to AT after he left Sonic.

Sydwayz
11-28-2008, 06:50 PM

You would need the companies to be sister companies or under one leadership to make the Chevrolet/GMC analogy. As such, that analogy does not make sense.

Management between both companies has always been pretty friendly. But that's pretty much where things end. Pat, the owner of AT has a separate business that does some painting for Sonic. Also, there is some joint marketing going on with the 33AT as a 34 Sonic OB model for overseas, however its just marketing at this point.

Sonic's best business as of the past few years has been the Dakota line of Center Consoles which now bear the Sonic name; all under CSI Marine. Years ago, Sonic's main market was somewhat of a cookie cutter production boat, similar to the Baja line. Options were few, and dealers use to stock them. Now Sonics are built a little more custom, and you don't see dealers stocking them as they are almost all sold Factory Direct. Jay Ross left Sonic several years ago, and went intp the tobacco industry. He built the best Sonics hands down. Sonic under the following leadership basically went all downhill. Now that Sonic is under CSI Marine, they have new direction, and some great boats; again. Lenny Noble is in charge of all sales and marketing, and is a genuine gentleman.

Jay re-entered the marine industry for a while with Active Thunder, but he has since gone into a new business venture outside of the marine industry.

Active Thunder is alive and well under Pat, as always. Boats are still being built and the factory doors are open everyday. Active Thunder boats are all sold and built factory direct; and completely custom. You can basically chose just about anything you like for/on the boat. Even though the untrained eye may think the Sonics and ATs look alike; the only similarity is the walk rail; which is actually quite different on both boats.

That about sums it up.

Hard Charger
11-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Brian and all thanks for your input. Without these sites you would never get all of this great info.

Macklin
11-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Not really because the AT molds were cut LONG before Jay started work there.

Sydways, get off your high horse man! :)

You have to admit the 28 AT looks almost identical to the Sonic. (Not so for the 33 or 37.) I do agree with you that AT builds a better boat. :sifone:

Smitty1035
11-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I've got an 04 35 and when it gets rough on the Bay and the Fountains turn around the Sonic is perfect.

SONIC WATER BABY!!!

ActiveThunder
11-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I can honestly say the paint and graphics quality is equal on the Active Thunders and the newer Sonics!

clayinaustin
11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
i always considered sonic to be a very well built higher end boat. They just do not have the race heritage as other brands.

+1

Jassman
11-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I can honestly say the paint and graphics quality is equal on the Active Thunders and the newer Sonics!

Why's that:rolleyes::nopity::bump:

Sydwayz
11-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Sydways, get off your high horse man! :)

High horse? My first boat was a Sonic; built by Jay Ross. I loved that boat. I remember informally racing a 25' Baja Outlaw with similar power back to the ramp on the Potomac River years ago. The Baja was pulling me in the flat water of Mattawoman Creek, but once we got to the channel crossing the Potomac, I kept it on the dash and he was no where to be seen.

I sold the boat to a great couple in MONTANA, who still have it. They put a Whipple on the 500EFI a couple seasons later, to get the speeds back at altitude.

A short time after I sold the boat to them, a very bad storm blew onto their lake. Their neighbor's son was out on a Sea-Poo PWC at the time; and he was no where to be seen. They only boat that could take the rough water (4-6s) on the lake was the Sonic, and they went out to find him. Come to find out the Sea-Poo's hatch cracked open, and was going down. No one is sure what would have happened to the boy had the Sonic not been able to go out that day, but Jim told me the boat was priceless to him after that afternoon. True story.

Sydwayz
11-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I always considered Sonic to be a very well built higher end boat. They just do not have the race heritage as other brands.

Not under the Sonic name, but the molds were originally Coyote, and the boats were a strong force to be reckoned with way back in the day. There was also a P-class 358 Sonic a few years ago out of NJ that did very well on the circuit; won at least one championship.

northernoffshore
11-29-2008, 03:09 PM
AT's have an altered sonic deck on them from when the 1st molds were built. The inverted deck is a backwards sonic deck. Coyotes and big banana were great old school boats.

Activeshack
11-29-2008, 04:41 PM
You have to admit the 28 AT looks almost identical to the Sonic.
28 AT looks bigger to me. It might have to do with molded platform on the Sonic.

Activeshack
11-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Sydwayz are you wearing your lanyard in that pic. ? :26: :sifone:

Macklin
11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
High horse?

Dayum bro...I'm just having fun with ya'. :sifone:

Sonic makes a great boat. So much so, I almost bought one two boats ago...a 35. But the 4' sun pad was a deal killer. Unbelievabe cabin though!

spilman
11-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I love that shot of B "shooting for the stars"!
I think my 28AT was next to a Sonic 28SS & w/the molded swim platform on the Sonic it was same length as New Moon w/o my add on platform. The 31SS is about 8-10 " longer than my 28AT o.a., platforms included.

Sydwayz
11-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Sydwayz are you wearing your lanyard in that pic. ? :26: :sifone:

Damn right... Shut you're mouth. :D

Madcow
11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
This was an easy day on mine. Lake Michigan, 3 to 5's, 75 MPH. Rock & Roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbSQR0PB9k

Fever Mike
11-30-2008, 01:34 AM
What is going on with the Sonic center consoles? Anyone buy one yet? Are they factory direct only?

Jassman
11-30-2008, 08:38 AM

good video Madcow...old school music works for me too.:sifone:

spilman
11-30-2008, 10:31 AM

3-5's?? hmmm....:boxing_smiley:

MarylandMark
11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
"SLBOATDRINKS" driving in that video?

Fever Mike
11-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Good looking classic Sonic! However that is more like 2-3's not 3-5's.:ack2::)

ActiveThunder
11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
The waves always look smaller from a chopper.

cosmic12
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
AT's have an altered sonic deck on them from when the 1st molds were built. The inverted deck is a backwards sonic deck. Coyotes and big banana were great old school boats.

Give me a break, You need to take a closer look. I will agree about the Banana and Coyotes .

ActiveThunder
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Give me a break, You need to take a closer look. I will agree about the Banana and Coyotes .

Those molds are all destroyed anyways so it's a moot point.

Back to the question on the table: My first go-fast was a Sonic. Darn good boat! In fact any boat is a darn good boat as long as you have a good time with it...

Hard Charger
11-30-2008, 09:44 PM
I had allot of fun on all my boats. I gone from Bayliner to Silverton to Donzi to Python and finally Sonic which is my favorite so far.

ActiveThunder
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I had allot of fun on all my boats. I gone from Bayliner to Silverton to Donzi to Python and finally Sonic which is my favorite so far.

Can I send you some kool-aid! :26:

Hard Charger
11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Can I send you some kool-aid! :26:
Yeah just mix it with some Vodka.

ActiveThunder
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah just mix it with some Vodka.
good choice!

PARADOX
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Coyotes to Sonic to Avanti.. I got the last of the 33' hull. Great hull in serious seas.. I would love to get some more speed. Just tested a set of 32's, labbed. The choppier the seas got the faster we were going.
3-4's not big enough. Only got to 83+-. I think I got more speed in some serious chit in the Keys. Speedo said 90 but I know that little needle is off.

cosmic12
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Those molds are all destroyed anyways so it's a moot point.

Back to the question on the table: My first go-fast was a Sonic. Darn good boat! In fact any boat is a darn good boat as long as you have a good time with it...

No truer (is that a word?) spoken. If you are out in it and haveing fun then its a good boat. Pat great to see ya here.:cheers2:

45Sonic
12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Pat,

Speaking of Sonic. Did you get the pictures I sent?

ActiveThunder
12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Pat,

Speaking of Sonic. Did you get the pictures I sent?

Yep, brain-farted over the Turkey day and will respond tomorrow!

SLBOATDRINKS
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
"SLBOATDRINKS" driving in that video?

Nope, not me Mark.