PDA

View Full Version : Boat Waxing

GregP
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I was getting ready to schedule for the boats spring waxing when my daughter and her friend asked how much I'd pay them if they did it. I pointed out that it is a little like waxing a semi trailer and if they started they had to finish it. They were still interested so I said I'd pay them the same as the detailers. They waxed the boat over the last two weekends (I had warned them it would take a while) and it came out as well as the last time I had the detailers do it.

A couple of "details" did come up. First, I had to buy the compound, wax, rags etc which are normally in the detailiers price. I had to help with some of the buffing with the compound as they were a bit intimidated by the buffer (I made the final polish pass to even out any streaks, and my body reminded me why I pay someone else to do this). And to top it off, my buffer died. It started making bad sounds on the last pass down the hull sides, and started smoking as I did the last couple inches at the stern. Now I have to buy a new buffer, which is also not in the normal detailers price. I bought the old buffer when I was in high school working on my first street rod about 40 years ago, so I did probably get my moneys worth out of it.

Would I do it again? Probably, but I'll have to remember to figure in the extras when negotiating the rate. They did a good job, I would likely have given my daughter at least some of the cost in clothes and other things that she now has to buy herself since she has the money to, and I figure it was a good lesson just how much work it is to make a buck with manual labor so she had better keep on her grades to get into a good college.

-Greg

t500hps
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I've got 3 kids.......what you did was worth every penny you spent!!! Congrats.

Bobcat
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Great story, thank you for sharing that !:)

MacGyver
05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I pointed out that it is a little like waxing a semi trailer

I like that line :rofl:

POWERPLAY33
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Try poppin new brushes in your buffer could be a easy fix. Nice story...

MacGyver
05-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Try poppin new brushes in your buffer could be a easy fix. Nice story...

If the buffer was smoking, the motor windings were overheating...alot. That compromises the insulation between the windings. The buffer is most likely shot, or near shot. I'd get a new one.

And yes, that was a great story!

redhotsommer
05-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Did my polishing and waxing yesterday. Told my wife its the only day of the year I'm HAPPY my boat is only 35 feet! ;)

Magic Medicine
05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Good story. Better to keep your money in the family and great to promote hard work and work ethic onto the next generation. Once my son is old enought you bet he is going to be in charge of the clean up on all our toys!

Ratickle
05-22-2010, 01:10 PM
I pointed out that it is a little like waxing a semi trailer

I like that line :rofl:

I wonder how they knew how hard that was???????:sifone:

GregP
05-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know but it sounds intimdating. I have to admit I have never been able to get her to wash my car, the $ isn't impressive enough.

I ordered my new buffer, doubt it will last another 40 years. I'll see if they are up for the fall waxing.

-Greg

UNRECONSTRUCTED
05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Great story. My 9 year old and 7 year old daughters and my 6 year old son are itching to wax the Scarab. But I don't trust them with the buffer...lol, I don't even trust me with the buffer. :)

Perlmudder
05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
lucky kids! my dad doesn't pay my brother or me to wax the boat or seadoo =( but then again he very rarely uses it...

Macklin
05-23-2010, 06:28 AM
lucky kids! my dad doesn't pay my brother or me to wax the boat or seadoo =( but then again he very rarely uses it...

Exactly! We had a 16' wood Barbour when I was growing up. My day used to make my two brothers and I sand and paint the entire boat every spring, inside and out including antifouling paint on the hull, if we wanted to use it. What a PITA. But it taught me how important it is to take care of a boat.