PDA

View Full Version : Help 454

MiamiOffshore
05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a stock mercruser 454/330hp with a mercII trans and trs drive.
I have to rebuild the motor but was wondering if a Small Block will bolt straight up to the bellhousing?
I would just need to adjust motor mounts and change out exhaust right?
I would like to get it running and I have a small block chevy sitting around so I was thinking of throwing it in there with stock exhaust so I can take my time with the BBC build.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
GM SB and BB have the same bellhousing pattern..You may not have to adjust the mounts.. Something important you should be aware of.. The Merc trannie relies on a pilot bushing in the crank end to align itself to the engine.. Make sure it is in the small block or the trannie will fail. Also verify the locating dowels in the block are there too.

fixxxer22
05-16-2010, 07:20 PM
GM SB and BB have the same bellhousing pattern..You may not have to adjust the mounts.. Something important you should be aware of.. The Merc trannie relies on a pilot bushing in the crank end to align itself to the engine.. Make sure it is in the small block or the trannie will fail. Also verify the locating dowels in the block are there too.

:iagree:

I did not know as much as he said above but i do know they have the same bellhousing pattern. good luck with her!

htrdlncn
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
better be a strong small block to move a 24 with a TRS..
;)

Slandrew
05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
:iagree:
;)

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 10:18 PM
;)

:iagree: too, but hey you can get 600 HP out of a SB ..lol:eek::sifone:

MiamiOffshore
05-16-2010, 10:59 PM
;)

Guys just looking to keep it going while I build the BBC I know it's not going to be any sort of speed demon.

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Guys just looking to keep it going while I build the BBC I know it's not going to be any sort of speed demon.

We are just messing with ya...we know..lol

:bump:

BTW, i have a 510 Ci gen IV block here ( chevy bowtie ) !!!!!