PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Rookie on Turning

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
First of all, I've never raced a boat and would love to put my Daughter(former drag racer) and myself thru the school. We don't have the cash to buy all the right stuff yet for the boat to be legal/safe/reliable, so we are looking at being a Vol. Boat for a few races this year to watch, learn, and bug the crap out of any drivers in the pits willing to share some knowlege. Also running LOTO shootout this year.

I have a 30 Velocity with Bravo/IMCO shortys. Pretty (maybe too) high X dim. Looking to try 1" spacers next time the money tree comes into bloom. It has the pad bottom if that matters.

I've never tried to turn real hard at speed for many obvious reasons but am going to work on that gradually this summer alone in the boat with friends nearby. (20yr Drag Racer) Later, with my Daughter on the wheel as I get comfortable.

My main question is about trim and tab use. I usually bring the drives in a bit when turning hard and going fast (relatively). I would think you would want to drop high/outside drive more as well as tab. Maybe even raise inner tab and/or drive as well. I've never read or heard anyone mention this. May be an obvious reason for that... have tried the drives it a little bit only. seemed to help.

Racers, please offer me some tips on this. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Mark

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I would raise the inner tab a little, nut much and it all depends on how fast and hard u turn..u never want the boat to hook.so leave the nose up a bit..trim in is fine ( to a point ) but if u trim to much in u will hook..and then BYE BYE !!!!!

It also depends on which boat, i have no clue about Velocity..i bet others can help u there more !

F1-00 Racing
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Steve Kildahl would be one of your best resources to tap, I also believe Steve Miklos has extensive knowledge of the Velocity characteristics.

As DD has stated, every boat is different.

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
WoW! 2 racers reply before I edited all my typos! Most all racers are alike I guess... I've helped MANY new motorcycle racers over the years. Keep em comming! Also looking to run Class 5(75mph) so you know how fast I'm trying to go...
Thanks again!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I have raced and played in a number of 30's. I have a few suggestions.. First on tabs. Run the the tabs down a bit so you feel the boat react.. Then with quick taps bring them up to where they are not effecting the boat. Then 1 quick tap down. You shouldn't feel the boat react to it.. Mark that spot on your indicators. Never raise them above that point. Set like that they will not be active in calm water nor will it slow you down. They will react if some thing disrupts the boat. Depending on your type and settings on your indicators that will be some where near the second line from all the way up.

On the drives. Use a straight edge and/or a level and mark your indicators where the drives are parallel to the bottom. Never trim them in past that spot when turning. Depending you your feel, preferences and experience you might find you can turn it hard slightly out from that setting.

I recall I would typically run the boats with tabs at 2 and drives at 4. Drives at 6 if it was flat flat.

Say your running at 2 and 4 and a you see some big boat wakes. I would leave the drives at 4 and add a couple taps to the tabs.

So back to turning. The boat will turn and carve if you turn it at the same setting as you find it runs clean and fast like 2 and 4. I used to enjoy throwing it over to the point where it would lay on the side and letting it carve while gently sliding. It will not turn well in my experience if you reluctantly turn in to it. Get to know how much wheel the turn will need and do it all at once. If the bow wants to dig in it is trimmed in too much. If it wants to hop in the turn it is out too far. If the bow trys to dig in and you do not steer out of it it will go around . That will likely break the dives off the back of the boat so practice quick turns like 30 degrees turns before trying to master a hair pin.

Finally remember it can throw you out on on the floor. So where your kill switch.. Lower your self in the seat so you are secure.. If you throw it in to a turn and something does not feel right to you turn back out of it.

Please be careful.. Knowing your and your boats limitations are key.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I should also add.. Without external steering DO NOT try want I suggested.

Bilgerat
05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
numbers on indicators mean nothing and without knowing exactly what type of actuator, and card, and where they are installed, transom angle, etc. They are just travel guides and any land marks for down, level, and the slight tap method mercman suggests all need to be marked on the card. Love those Velocities by the way used to run a 320 454mags carb. 365hp, ran 80mph radar. pad boats haulin a$$ will slide around turns a bit more than a straight v.

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
THANKS!
Great info! I already run the tabs pretty much as you describe.
The drives...
I don't think I have enough prop in the water and have felt the outer one blow out a little in a turn I think. Prolly going too slow to really dig in:driving: but I don't get enough bow lift or reaction to trim IMO. Hence the question about outer drive tucked in a bit.

We do have IMCO ext steering. Hard to practice as I always have my wife, dog ect w/me. Planning some solo rides this year w/friends watching to pull me outa the drink if needed.:ack2:

Thanks again Guys.
Please keep em comming!

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
THANKS!
Great info! I already run the tabs pretty much as you describe.
The drives...
I don't think I have enough prop in the water and have felt the outer one blow out a little in a turn I think. Prolly going too slow to really dig in:driving: but I don't get enough bow lift or reaction to trim IMO. Hence the question about outer drive tucked in a bit.

We do have IMCO ext steering. Hard to practice as I always have my wife, dog ect w/me. Planning some solo rides this year w/friends watching to pull me outa the drink if needed.:ack2:

Thanks again Guys.
Please keep em comming!

U want to keep your drives both at the same level at all times...or u will change the toe on them because of the tiebar ...u don't want that ..stuff like that break's gimbals !!!
Do u have shorty's on it ??? just asking becasue that can be why u don't have enough bow lift ?!

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 02:01 PM
numbers on indicators mean nothing and without knowing exactly what type of actuator, and card, and where they are installed, transom angle, etc.

I do know that part... I did what mercman said when I first got the boat. My number level were@5s on panel. I adjusted them that way cuz they were off/uneven when I got the boat.

I'll have to start over as I'm making my own indicators now.

Thanks for the chime in B Rat!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 02:48 PM
T

The drives from the Velocity factory are already mounted high..Steve was one of the first to raise drives on production boats. I would guess they were already up about 5" before the shorties. I personally would rather have a good handling boat then the last MPH.

I think you should try some spacers. You might even find some speed and improved handling in your case. If you add a spacer and it doesn't slow down add some more.

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I've wondered about...DD
I don't understand why the don't run heim joints on those for several reasons. I used to have a drive leak down over a week or so of non boating. The lock nut on the adjuster would always come loose because of the twist... Not how I would have built them...shrug

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 02:59 PM
The drives from the Velocity factory are already mounted high..Steve was one of the first to raise drives on production boats. I would guess they were already up about 5" before the shorties. I personally would rather have a good handling boat then the last MPH.

I think you should try some spacers. You might even find some speed and improved handling in your case. If you add a spacer and it doesn't slow down add some more.

I agree! I found some 1" spacers at a good price and hope he still has them when I'm ready. I want to run first w/my new motors before I change anything else. apples to apples...

I love the surfing feeling when it's up in the pad. It ran mid to high 70s before and rairly got the perfect surf feeling. Needed wind in my face and a little chop for that. Maybe the extra bit of power will be the ticket but I think the X is marking the spot:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Its a geometry thing. If the drives are at different levels they move closer together. If there are 2 tiebars installed there can be numerous other issues when trimmed un even.

BUIZILLA
05-16-2010, 04:11 PM
great topic..

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
MercMan "Its a geometry thing. If the drives are at different levels they move closer together."

Ahhh.... I see said the blind man... The bar gets shorter at an angle. All the hours I spent aligning my drives and measuring toe in/toe out depending on prop rotation goes out the window pretty quick with only a few degree angle difference between the two drives.

Buizilla... Great replys in a hurry too!
about your name... B.U.I. Zilla????

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
DDevil... It was advertised as having 2" shortys when I bought it two yrs ago. I have not measured them to be sure but... I agree on the bow lift. I want to try the spacers but they are about 8 or 9 iitems down my priority list at this time.

Thanks all. This is great! More tips?

BUIZILLA
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
about your name... B.U.I. Zilla???? uhhhhh...noooo

Wahoo 214
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
There are alot of very talented guys on these sites, just remember that to win a race you do not have to or really want to turn "hard". In a rough water race it is about picking the smoothest line without giving ground to a competitor. In a smooth water race it is about being smooth without losing or scrubing speed. Most turns are 2 pins and the quickest way around is one bend, not two tight turns. So don't go out and practice 90 degree turns. Practice keeping your boat smooth and effiecent in the water. Don't get hurt!

I know I'm the king of spin!

Ratickle
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM

:rolleyes:

You'll probably get some comments there......:sifone:

F1-00 Racing
05-16-2010, 07:47 PM
What Dean posted is very accurate.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-16-2010, 08:02 PM
There are obviously different perspectives here.. My take is first learn the boat and its limitations. Second learn to read the water Like Wahoo has mentioned. Third in a race you don't always get choose your line. It is often dictated to you by the wakes of the other boats and the seas. You need to learn where NOT to go. Finally you need to learn how to adapt to situations you have little control of and in an instant make a choice. When you make a poor decision ugly things can happen.

In the end I believe it all comes down to understand you equipment and its limitation. The boat will only turn so hard.. You can not force it to do what it wont do.

After you figure all that out you can then focus on being fast in a turn.

Underdog88
05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Wahoo 214;496412]...just remember that to win a race you do not have to or really want to turn "hard". In a rough water race it is about picking the smoothest line without giving ground to a competitor. In a smooth water race it is about being smooth without losing or scrubing speed. Most turns are 2 pins and the quickest way around is one bend, not two tight turns.QUOTE]

Thanks! Can you or anyone give me an idea what the radious of an average turn is in a race? Then maybe the tightest you ever run at any course?
I'm most interested in the MI races. I watched the St Clair race on the net last year:)

I guess I'm having a hard time picturing running 75mph then driving it into a corner at that speed. I'm sure that's where the races are won as any one of the teams can run their bracket speed on the straights. Do they usually maintain that speed in corners?

MMerc: "My take is first learn the boat and its limitations. Second learn to read the water Like Wahoo has mentioned. Third in a race you don't always get choose your line."

1- Been doing that as much as I can safely, going to do more solo this year with a spotter/friend's boat nearby.

2nd- Reading the water... I watched OPA run in Mentor/L Erie from my boat and run that lake several times a year. How do you read that crap?! I call it Moguels like the skiers run. Ran balls out on a PkrRun from Sandusky to P Clinton couple years ago and beat the crap outa me, wife and boat. Off the throttle alot trying to keep some prop in the water. I have been in the Atlantic w/it also and can get some timing going on that kind of water.

3rd- I'll be the one running way outside trying to stay outa the way for the first few.

Thanks All! Great stuff!

B.U.I...zilla sorry. Not trying to send you bad carma or anything...

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Wahoo 214;496412]...just remember that to win a race you do not have to or really want to turn "hard". In a rough water race it is about picking the smoothest line without giving ground to a competitor. In a smooth water race it is about being smooth without losing or scrubing speed. Most turns are 2 pins and the quickest way around is one bend, not two tight turns.QUOTE]

Thanks! Can you or anyone give me an idea what the radious of an average turn is in a race? Then maybe the tightest you ever run at any course?
I'm most interested in the MI races. I watched the St Clair race on the net last year:)

I guess I'm having a hard time picturing running 75mph then driving it into a corner at that speed. I'm sure that's where the races are won as any one of the teams can run their bracket speed on the straights. Do they usually maintain that speed in corners?

MMerc: "My take is first learn the boat and its limitations. Second learn to read the water Like Wahoo has mentioned. Third in a race you don't always get choose your line."

1- Been doing that as much as I can safely, going to do more solo this year with a spotter/friend's boat nearby.

2nd- Reading the water... I watched OPA run in Mentor/L Erie from my boat and run that lake several times a year. How do you read that crap?! I call it Moguels like the skiers run. Ran balls out on a PkrRun from Sandusky to P Clinton couple years ago and beat the crap outa me, wife and boat. Off the throttle alot trying to keep some prop in the water. I have been in the Atlantic w/it also and can get some timing going on that kind of water.

3rd- I'll be the one running way outside trying to stay outa the way for the first few.

Thanks All! Great stuff!

B.U.I...zilla sorry. Not trying to send you bad carma or anything...

u will not turn @ 75 mph !!!!!!!

just make a nice wide turn @ 70 and u be fine !

2nd. beating the chit out of you..thats racing..lol

3rd. smaller / slower boats stay to the inside....trusst me !!!!!!!!!!

Wahoo 214
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
In every class you will chop the throttle before you turn to set the boat. Most of the time at the end of a straight away the boat is fully up on the pad and chine walking. Chopping the throttle sets the boat down in the water. Right after this the driver can feel the boat hook up and at the point he can begin to turn. In sloppy water that can take a little while for the boat to hook up. Once the driver feels the boat settle into the turn, I start to throttle hard and right after that I trim up the drives to pick up RPM. (going into the turn and half way thru drives and tabs are neutral) Once we are straight and level again I bring the drive back to neutral and head for 110 mph.

In St Clair last year we were hitting the corners at 107ish, before chopping throttles, and exiting in the mid 70s. It is a very tight.

DAREDEVIL
05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
In every class you will chop the throttle before you turn to set the boat. Most of the time at the end of a straight away the boat is fully up on the pad and chine walking. Chopping the throttle sets the boat down in the water. Right after this the driver can feel the boat hook up and at the point he can begin to turn. In sloppy water that can take a little while for the boat to hook up. Once the driver feels the boat settle into the turn, I start to throttle hard and right after that I trim up the drives to pick up RPM. (going into the turn and half way thru drives and tabs are neutral) Once we are straight and level again I bring the drive back to neutral and head for 110 mph.

In St Clair last year we were hitting the corners at 107ish, before chopping throttles, and exiting in the mid 70s. It is a very tight.

110 ????? come on ....i thought your boat only runs 104 !!!!! LOL :bump::sifone:

Wahoo 214
05-17-2010, 10:20 AM
It's a Fountain not a Phantom

Bilgerat
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm Going to have to Call Uncle B.S. on some of this stuff, And i wouldn't look for a whole lot of Turning expertise out of DareDevil. THis guy wants to learn to turn the boat on a race course not the trailer in the parking lot. I do appreciate everyones input on their methods, all different and different from mine. Also don't forget your liable to be a couple feet from someones Dry Exhaust Screaming in your helmet at 5-7000 RPM's and I remember one where it seemed that the RF or something from an MSD made the intercom Scream as well. Man i miss that stuff. I gotta get to work on that boat.

Underdog88
05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm Lovin it...

Wahoo: "Chopping the throttle sets the boat down in the water. Right after this the driver can feel the boat hook up and at the point he can begin to turn."
Please describe CHOP THE THROTTLES. Back off or slam them closed or shut down hard then back into it part way?

"In St Clair last year we were hitting the corners at 107ish, before chopping throttles, and exiting in the mid 70s. It is a very tight."
Very tight... 100 yard wide hair pin or??? Guesstimate?

Thanks Wahoo! Much appreciated!

BUI:) "I do appreciate everyones input on their methods, all different and different from mine."
Please offer you methods. I'd LOVE to hear from as many racers as will let me pick their brains.

Thanks again all!
Mark Underwood
UnderdogRacing.com

DAREDEVIL
05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm Going to have to Call Uncle B.S. on some of this stuff, And i wouldn't look for a whole lot of Turning expertise out of DareDevil. THis guy wants to learn to turn the boat on a race course not the trailer in the parking lot. I do appreciate everyones input on their methods, all different and different from mine. Also don't forget your liable to be a couple feet from someones Dry Exhaust Screaming in your helmet at 5-7000 RPM's and I remember one where it seemed that the RF or something from an MSD made the intercom Scream as well. Man i miss that stuff. I gotta get to work on that boat.

LOL,,,why don't u work on my boat and we could both have fun..gets u back in and me off the trailer......hahahaha :eek::sifone::seeya:

phragle
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
All I have to say is that sitting in the med boat, watching somebody come into turn two on the first lap leaving the rest of the field in the vapor trail, you will probably wipe out, then the rest of the field you just left, catches up while your boat is doing an aqua-gymnastics routine, and I get really nervous.... So please..don't do that!!!!

POWERPLAY33
05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
It's a Fountain not a Phantom

So it runs a loose 101 LOL:sifone:

Wahoo 214
05-18-2010, 09:09 AM
All I have to say is that sitting in the med boat, watching somebody come into turn two on the first lap leaving the rest of the field in the vapor trail, you will probably wipe out, then the rest of the field you just left, catches up while your boat is doing an aqua-gymnastics routine, and I get really nervous.... So please..don't do that!!!!

That was a little home field adrenaline rush. :driving:

Wahoo 214
05-18-2010, 09:14 AM
When I "chop the throttles", it is anywhere from 1/2 to fully closed throttle. It depends on the feel of the boat and water conditions. It is all about the boat setup and water conditions.

What makes St Clair tight are steel bouys, current (7mph), holes in the water, wake of the seawalls and a narrow river.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
In the days past of F2 you chop the throttles you go to the back.. We would never lift Ever..Not in turns, not to "set the boat", not in spray, Never. Every time you lift for a moment you lost a boat length you could not make up.

We never spun out, never hit anyone.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
In SVL last season there were turns so tight we would slow some. Still never lifted past half throttle.

You must understand your equipment, know your partner, and your limitations.

DAREDEVIL
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
In the days past of F2 you chop the throttles you go to the back.. We would never lift Ever..Not in turns, not to "set the boat", not in spray, Never. Every time you lift for a moment you lost a boat length you could not make up.

Thats because u drive !!!!!!!!! and i have to say..i think your doing a good job at it !

Some do , some don't..i can't drive...only good at throttles .:(

Wahoo 214
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM

You guys must have incredible back in the day. Today not only do see the boats lift for a turn but you can hear them do it.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
In all fairness the courses have gotten shorter and tighter.

Yes, F2 was crazy.. You lift you lose. It was just that simple.

Wahoo 214
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Watch this video of Randy at 2:36, 4:40 and 5:18 of the video you will Randy lift for the turn. Looks a sounds like more than 1/2 throttle and I didn't see him get passed. If you ain't lifting on todays courses you are going twice as far as everyone on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7A6l8AVYU&feature=email

Great video by the way!

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I will look later. It must be of St Clair. Yes, you have to lift there.. most everyplace else we race it is not necessary.

I think it was you Dean that said earlier after the first turn you do not need to hug the buoys. You can make the turn wider so you don't have to lift.. I have found it faster around the turn to sweep it if you can.... Sometimes there is some one in the way or faster boats overtaking you and you are forced to turn harder then ideal. But oh. well that is part of it. You just have to learn to make the best of each and every situation.

Wahoo 214
05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
It's in the Ocean

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Well then, That explains that.

I wish all our races were in the Ocean. There are a whole set of different skills needed there.

Pete B
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
the lines the cat OB took 1st turn in St Clair
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/Pboden19/OPA%20St%20Clair%202009/OPA%20St%20Clair%20Friday/OPA%20St%20clair%20Saturday/OPA%20St%20Clair%20Sunday/7Z0X8646.jpg
svl at the first turn, now picture a few more in the mix
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/Pboden19/OPA%20St%20Clair%202009/OPA%20St%20Clair%20Friday/OPA%20St%20clair%20Saturday/OPA%20St%20Clair%20Sunday/7Z0X8565.jpg

Bilgerat
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Dean's got this one, Some of you all need to refigure the math on "sweeping" turns. There is a short way around and a long way around, and you would be surprised the amount of extra speed you need to carry to go only two boat widths further in a arc around a two pin turn. Regardless. SVL guys go back and look at your LOTO laps last year, We were watching on the turn just past start finish. Sweeping, Arcing, Chopping, whatever there is absolutely no reason not to be inches off the first pin.

Bilgerat
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Daredevil, That idea you had teaming up actually sounded good for a split second. But I'm pretty certain it wouldn't pan out. Plus if your keeping that thing in Class 4 OPA, I don't believe your boat has a chance against the Simmonsnator. I also couldn't be associated with your B.S. I did just see however a video you have on youtube for sponsorship, couldn't watch it for some reason, this computer is not working right, but good idea putting it out there. Would still love to race you some day though. Keep taking pointers from everyone on here for driving skills, it is making my chances better and better.

Whoz Your Daddy
05-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Watch this video of Randy at 2:36, 4:40 and 5:18 of the video you will Randy lift for the turn. Looks a sounds like more than 1/2 throttle and I didn't see him get passed. If you ain't lifting on todays courses you are going twice as far as everyone on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7A6l8AVYU&feature=email

Great video by the way!

Great Video
I didnt realize Randy was working so hard when he passed us in 5 LOL:bump:

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
SVL guys go back and look at your LOTO laps last year, We were watching on the turn just past start finish. Sweeping, Arcing, Chopping, whatever there is absolutely no reason not to be inches off the first pin.

Well you didn't see us lift on that end. As it worked out the apex hugged the second pin and the third was tight. turning on the first pin as you say only forced an adjustment of the turn for or at the second pin and /or left you wide on the third.

I must have done it right because we made ground on the black boat every turn. They were actually a little faster on the straights.

You have your way, I have a different way:cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Daredevil, That idea you had teaming up actually sounded good for a split second. But I'm pretty certain it wouldn't pan out. Plus if your keeping that thing in Class 4 OPA, I don't believe your boat has a chance against the Simmonsnator. I also couldn't be associated with your B.S. I did just see however a video you have on youtube for sponsorship, couldn't watch it for some reason, this computer is not working right, but good idea putting it out there. Would still love to race you some day though. Keep taking pointers from everyone on here for driving skills, it is making my chances better and better.

If the new motor is in,,, i just thought u wanna be in a winning boat....i don't have jim's money..but i shure will beat him...just need to get her done !!!!:cheers2:

Bilgerat
05-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I've actually ONLY been in winning boats, Would love to have that other Yellow 34 Phantom that we had raced against in the past, That would be a good one to give Jim a run. I love that boat of his, handles ridiculous. I think the one thing i regret the most is losing to Bruce in Ocean City in his 30' phantom. Would love to have that one to do over. Chock it up to my inexperience i guess.

Apparently I still need to learn how to turn, Guess i was doing it wrong. ??

DAREDEVIL
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I've actually ONLY been in winning boats, Would love to have that other Yellow 34 Phantom that we had raced against in the past, That would be a good one to give Jim a run. I love that boat of his, handles ridiculous. I think the one thing i regret the most is losing to Bruce in Ocean City in his 30' phantom. Would love to have that one to do over. Chock it up to my inexperience i guess.

Apparently I still need to learn how to turn, Guess i was doing it wrong. ??

Which yellow , a 34 ???

imco offshore
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
bilge,, you run the boat where you feel comfortable,,then step it up every lap..i,m sure youll be fine,,the Imco Phantom drives like a cadillac,,so the driving job is much easier and the ride is much safer,,,just being in a canopy gives you a lot more confidence,,good luck stop by any time ,,George Jr,

Bilgerat
05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes there was a Yellow 34 That ran a few times, and was in Key West i believe. It used to say "Bluewater Realty" on the side. cool boat. Actually a 34 with a canopy would be the cats a$$, or cats Meow, or maybe even the Cats Pajamas.

DAREDEVIL
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes there was a Yellow 34 That ran a few times, and was in Key West i believe. It used to say "Bluewater Realty" on the side. cool boat. Actually a 34 with a canopy would be the cats a$$, or cats Meow, or maybe even the Cats Pajamas.

There was only 1 canopy 34 build ( Mr.Technology ) ..125 MPH after dialed in by german engineering !!!!!:cheers2:

Pic is from before !!!! will at the trim buttons..lol

Dunbar 104
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Well how I like to make high speed turns. Well as soon as the flag is dropped, or the first post which ever comes first. I try to beat everyone by typing up to 90 wpm (words per minute). Than use the up arrow to simulate trim, space bar is throttle. Hit the shift to throttle down, 3 bumps on the right arrow for a right hand turn like for St Clair and Biloxi. Than brag on how fast I can type, and my awesome spelling ability. If I was able to break away and post first. I always give some advice on how I would do it in the real world.

Underdog88
05-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Come on guys... It was a serious question and the guys who were kind enough to offer up some advice get banged on. What site is this again?

Were talking about a 30foot velocity in the 75mph bracket.
The tight turn in StClair is how tight? Radious wise 100yard U turn?tighter?

DAREDEVIL
05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Come on guys... It was a serious question and the guys who were kind enough to offer up some advice get banged on. What site is this again?

Were talking about a 30foot velocity in the 75mph bracket.
The tight turn in StClair is how tight? Radious wise 100yard U turn?tighter?

100 yrads is fine...actually its a little more then that...but just practice and don't listen to stupid reply's...they wish they where good thats all !!!!!:cheers2:

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
DD, the north turn may be tighter than that.

I think you should focus on knowing how tight you can turn at a given speed . Make sure you do not to cross or ride up on wakes while turning. Get your turn trim settings down pat.

You may find your first race a little overwhelming. Just take it all in and enjoy it. Just aim to finish without tearing anything up. That alone is an accomplishment. After you get one under your belt you will really have fun.

phragle
05-19-2010, 12:28 AM

Watching the Simmonator battle Bounty Hunter in Ocean City last year was one hell of a race... He does have that Simmonator wired.

Tyler Crockett
05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
There are alot of very talented guys on these sites, just remember that to win a race you do not have to or really want to turn "hard". In a rough water race it is about picking the smoothest line without giving ground to a competitor. In a smooth water race it is about being smooth without losing or scrubing speed. Most turns are 2 pins and the quickest way around is one bend, not two tight turns. So don't go out and practice 90 degree turns. Practice keeping your boat smooth and effiecent in the water. Don't get hurt!

And he's not kidding !!!!!!! :D

Underdog88
05-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks Guys,
That gives me an idea. Trying to get a clue how hard/sharp I need to try and turn at 75mph. I will creap up on it little by little.
Mark

Underdog88
05-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Steve Kildahl would be one of your best resources to tap, I also believe Steve Miklos has extensive knowledge of the Velocity characteristics.

As DD has stated, every boat is different.

Are these guys members here or currently racing?
Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I have never seen Steve K on line . Steve M is and is currently racing a SVL Extreme Vortec.

Here are some old pix I scanned for you. It was from A Solomons race in '90. The Velocity ran 80 with stock 420's. We were racing Great Adventure with his 500 somethings.. This shows a typical turn. We could sweep it Wide open .. The harder you turn the more speed you scrub off. Maybe you can find them helpful. Great Adventure one the Race in the end. He was faster.

I later filled in for Bill in his Sutphen and Drove it for his Throttleman Gary Hartman at Pt Pleasant without ever setting foot in it.

Chris
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
The Velocity 30 likes to be turned aggressively, as Jim said. The shape of the pad bottom allows it to turn like it's on rails. It's actually not a true pad- it has what you might call negative strakes on the outsides. They are there to help in directional stability when you really have the boat flying. But in turns, they give you some awesome grip.

The boat needs to be driven by feel. if you want to get maximum speed out of it, you have to spend alot of time running it and feeling what the boat does as you tab and trim it. It'll give you alot of feedback- you'll feel it in your feet. Same for turning. You'll feel what the bottom is doing as you do different things. There's no substitute for seat time.

Underdog88
05-19-2010, 01:09 PM
MMerc: Thanks for taking the time to scan those.

Chris: I have a lot of hrs in the boat and have a pretty good feel for tabs/trim. It has to be right in it's sweet spot. Nice to hear it turns well. I have never dove hard into a corner at speed. That's what I'm going to work hard on gradually.

Thanks again Guys!

Whoz Your Daddy
05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Underdog

Read what everyone tells you. Get in the boat put on your vest and helmet and hit the milling area. Everything gets real fast, your blood starts pumping you will get cotton mouth and wish you drank a gallon of water before the race. Then the pace boat will pick you up and things will seem crazy people will jockey for space and you will get real nervous. Then the green drops your throttle man will push the sticks forward and you will head for 1st turn. Then and only then will you have a real chance to see what it’s all about. and then after 7 or 8 laps and it’s all over you will forget everything you read and realize it’s all in the way you feel comfortable driving the boat with your partner throttling. Good luck and hope to see you out there soon

Mike O

DAREDEVIL
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Underdog

Read what everyone tells you. Get in the boat put on your vest and helmet and hit the milling area. Everything gets real fast, your blood starts pumping you will get cotton mouth and wish you drank a gallon of water before the race. Then the pace boat will pick you up and things will seem crazy people will jockey for space and you will get real nervous. Then the green drops your throttle man will push the sticks forward and you will head for 1st turn. Then and only then will you have a real chance to see what it’s all about. and then after 7 or 8 laps and it’s all over you will forget everything you read and realize it’s all in the way you feel comfortable driving the boat with your partner throttling. Good luck and hope to see you out there soon

Mike O

Damn Mike...thats real good there, did not know u can write like this !!!!
And its true !!!!!!:sifone::cheers2:

FUN,,,JUST HAVE FUN !!!!!!

heater63
05-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Lets not forget reliability!You have to finish a race to win it.Get out there and take it easy your first couple of races.Watch what the others are doing in the turns and learn from it.You will eventually find the fastest way around a corner.Again,not all boats turn alike.Seat time,seat time,seat time!!!!!

Underdog88
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
WhoYD: Great Stuff and it relates to any form of racing I have been involdved in the last 40yrs.

Heater: I used to take 3 motors to a race when running a Nitrous SuperBike in AMA Drag Racing... usually brought em home in a box trying to beat Muzzys Kawasaki.
I can't afford to tear up stuff at this time... I expect to just stay outa da way and learn.

Diver & Driver
06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
take lessons