PDA

View Full Version : Rechargable batteries discussion...

Buoy
05-15-2010, 04:03 PM
OK, we all use cordless tools, and I would be willing to bet everyone on this board has AT LEAST a cordless driver... (I have 3, and cordless Circ saw, Sawzall, Radio, light, couple chargers, etc)

SO LETS TALK BATTERIES!

My arsenal is all 18v DeWalt stuff, and I've had these tools for 15 years. I got out of Construction about 8 years ago, so haven't really needed to use them much, so my batteries are all toast (4 or 5 of them). I'm using Ni-cad stuff, not the fancy lithium stuff.
I'm starting a new gig back in construction this week, and had to "re-tool" a bit, so I made the run to Lowes and HD this morning.
Lowes wanted $89ea for batteries.
HD had a combo pack of 2 batteries for $119
(I know I can probably find a better price online, but I need them Tuesday)
So I bought the 2 combo pac. I'd like to have AT LEAST 2 more, but don't want to drop the money yet (Yeah, I'm a kinda broke at the moment...).

About 10 yrs ago, I remember around Christmas The Andersons in Toledo had a deal with a drill and 2 batteries and a charger and a case for ~$130 - that was cheaper than buying 2 batteries so I bought it just for the batteries, bonus I got a drill/charger/case.

Found a Co. in Mansfield OH that will rebuild the old ones for $45 just pay shipping to get them there (they pay to ship back) http://www.voltmanbatteries.com
Anybody ever have them refurbed somewhere?

Also, has anyone found any tips or tricks to making these things live a long life?
Their used to be so many rumors about what you had to do (run them all the way out before charging, the first charge needs to be at least 24hrs, etc)

So, everyone hit me with your opinions.

(note - I will try to keep the Hi-jacks of this thread to a minimum:))

Buoy
05-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh, and I wasn't sure if there is an area of Tech where this thread belongs, or if here in the bar is most appropriate?

Bobcat
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I have a mix of Milwaukee and Ryobi. The cheapest place I have found for batteries is TOOLUP.com

http://www.toolup.com/

I've used some of the Rigid brand Lithium Ion batteries and wasn't too impressed. they are lighter though which is nice for overhead stuff.
I have two Milwaukee 18v hammer drills....it is almost cheaper to buy a new drill with two batteries than just buying the batteries.
My first drill came with the Milwaukee boom box made by Rockford-Fosgate......for a jobsite radio it rocks !

BBB725
05-15-2010, 06:27 PM
My first drill came with the Milwaukee boom box made by Rockford-Fosgate......for a jobsite radio it rocks !

What if your playing country music?

Bobcat
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
It WESTERNS !:sifone:

Buoy
05-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a mix of corded tools.
Milwaukee hammer drill.
Some Porter Cable stuff.
Full mix of Bostitch and Porte Cable air tools (which I won't need for this job).
But with cordless stuff I've always stayed DeWalt just to consolidate batteries and chargers. And, I've always been pretty happy with the Power/weight/performance ratio of them.
But, Damn!!! I'm having a hard time dropping $3-400 on Batteries just to get everything running again.

I spent over $400 today on some new hand tools... (couple pair vise grips, drill bits, saw blades, grinding wheels) That was enough of an azz reaming.

I would have been smarter to make my parents pay the $60K to send me to a good college.
Instead, I'm spending a couple $100K to go to work and do a grungy job.
But, it sure beats being in an office setting for 10-12 hours a day.

Bobcat
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Get a straw hat...the sun will bake your head ....then you'll go mad and buy a project boat......:willy_nilly:

MacGyver
05-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Don't let the new batteries freeze ;) :leaving:

hotjava66
05-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I have bought some and had some rebuilt at Batteries Plus store with decent results. Otherwise if I buy new I end up buying a new tool with batteries, like you said above its cheaper than just the batteries.