PDA

View Full Version : 525 efi, Raw Water Plumbing Questions

CRC
05-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I am trying to install my Teague sea strainer. I have two problems.

1. The 1 1/4" hose is too stiff to make even a slight bend. Is there a more pliable hose available? I already broke off the plastic hose connection on the back of the raw water pump. The pic shows what I am doing. The black automotive hose from the strainer to the pump is just a mock-up to show what I need. It is not rigid enough to use here (I unhooked the header hose for the pic). I had also planned to install a pressure relief valve in this hose. That brings me to the second question:

2. I have been told by several people that I need to run 35-40 psi on the raw water side of the 525. The only relief valves I can find will only adjust up to 25 psi. I like the CP Performance relief valve and T fitting but will 25 psi be too low for the HP525 EFI? And again I will need more flexible hose to plumb this.

And a couple more questions: Can the relief valve be installed before the sea strainer or should it go on the outlet side? Since my transom is fully cored is there any reason not to dump the excess water out the side of the boat next to the bilge pump through-hull?

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
first..yes there is a marine water hose soft enuff to bend......

second.. 25 psi is plenty !!!!

I would actually stick an other 45 on the pump !!!!! or even a 90 and a straight on the stariner ( if not clearing the engine mount ), just a thought !!!

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
The dump should always go over board,,and the press reliefe valve should be ON the sea stariner !!!!!!!
If no fitting is on it u need to go on the OUT of the strainer ! ( engine side )

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I would actually stick an other 45 on the pump !!!!! or even a 90 and a straight on the stariner ( if not clearing the engine mount ), just a thought !!!

I agree.. You are better off using adapters then a softer hose. It is my opinion not to use anything but wire intake hose and double clamps. I even prefer it on all hoses before the engine especially those under the engine.

FastDonzi
05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I bet if you go to an auto parts store and have them let you go back to the hose rack you can come up with a hose almost perfect for that application. or at least you'll find some with two nice bends you can couple together. (you done splitting my firewood yet?)

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I strongly suggest not to do that. If that hose fails you risk sinking the boat.

If you cannot make the turn maybe you should consider relocating the strainer.

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I bet if you go to an auto parts store and have them let you go back to the hose rack you can come up with a hose almost perfect for that application. or at least you'll find some with two nice bends you can couple together. (you done splitting my firewood yet?)

I would not use an automotive hose...NEVER !!!!!!!!
In my car..thats a diffrent story !

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I see the problem,,,,u need a different back for your pump,,the make one that has fittings on it where u can screw a 90 or 45 on the end in to the pump..u said u broke it off any ways..DO NOT glue it...if u want to sink the boat ..go ahead,,also i strongly recoment a shut off valve right at the pick up on the transom !!!!!!

CRC
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I see the problem,,,,u need a different back for your pump,,the make one that has fittings on it where u can screw a 90 or 45 on the end in to the pump..u said u broke it off any ways..DO NOT glue it...if u want to sink the boat ..go ahead,,also i strongly recoment a shut off valve right at the pick up on the transom !!!!!!

I'm looking at this pump housing at CP Performance that looks like it uses screw in fittings. The numbers aren't a perfect match though. http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14544-stainless-steel-lifetime-sea-pump-overhaul-kit.aspx

I will not glue the hose. I did try but I will not run it this way. I'll get the parts ordered ASAP. Right now I'm waiting for CP to open so I can talk to them. A 90 degree inlet at the pump would solve my main problem.

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm looking at this pump housing at CP Performance that looks like it uses screw in fittings. The numbers aren't a perfect match though. http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14544-stainless-steel-lifetime-sea-pump-overhaul-kit.aspx

I will not glue the hose. I did try but I will not run it this way. I'll get the parts ordered ASAP. Right now I'm waiting for CP to open so I can talk to them. A 90 degree inlet at the pump would solve my main problem.

Thats SS housing is actually perfect !!! I love them ! :cheers2:

I would actually go with a 45 inlet at the pump...leave the one on the strainer and have a 90 for the outlet on the pump....

FastDonzi
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I would not use an automotive hose...NEVER !!!!!!!!
In my car..thats a diffrent story !

I know he is talking Pre-Pump....But, Remember the hose that goes from the pump under the motor to the cooler on the other side (of most Mercruiser Big Blocks) ??? It's the same as a auto hose, made by an auto hose manufacturer. as long as he gets a hose that won't colapse under suction he'll be fine. whats harder on a hose, Hot antifreeze or Nice cool water?? Pick one. as long as he isn't hanging a cooler or trying to support some other weight theres not a problem, it's only water at fairly low pressures.

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I know he is talking Pre-Pump....But, Remember the hose that goes from the pump under the motor to the cooler on the other side (of most Mercruiser Big Blocks) ??? It's the same as a auto hose, made by an auto hose manufacturer. as long as he gets a hose that won't colapse under suction he'll be fine. whats harder on a hose, Hot antifreeze or Nice cool water?? Pick one. as long as he isn't hanging a cooler or trying to support some other weight theres not a problem, it's only water at fairly low pressures.

Ok i pick 1 SALT !!!!!!!! and they get very briddle in a boat because they do not get lubricant from any anty freeze !!!:USA:

FastDonzi
05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I think he only boats in fresh. IIRC

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
This is the hose i use......

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=164607F

and its not really much $ for what u get !!!!!:cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I think he only boats in fresh. IIRC

maybe, but still WHY ??? if he ever sells the boat and somebody goes in the ocean....... a boat should always have marine stuff on it..stainless aluminum coated..and brass , hoses that are made for marine environment and so on...maybe just me , but i like to know things are made for the use of what i am doing ,,be it hobby or not !!!!:cheers2:

FastDonzi
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
This is the hose i use......

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=164607F

and its not really much $ for what u get !!!!!:cheers2:

Will that hose make the bend he needs?

Also,(as he found out) the plastic pump housing doesn't really scream "Marine". I like your idea of the 45* coming off the pump then maybe just one 45* bend in the hose. we'll see which housing he ends up with. the barbed one is still going to present the same problem....

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Will that hose make the bend he needs?

Also,(as he found out) the plastic pump housing doesn't really scream "Marine". I like your idea of the 45* coming off the pump then maybe just one 45* bend in the hose. we'll see which housing he ends up with. the barbed one is still going to present the same problem....

He found a housing that works ! ( his link )

And yes these hoses bend almost 90 and even more but use room for more then 90 !!!!:cheers2:

C_Spray
05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Shields makes a couple of different versions of water inlet hoses. The green striped hose has two wires wound into it, while the blue striped hose has only one and is more flexible. Some (some!) shaped automotive hoses have an anti-collapse wire wound into them, but you can also buy a stand-alone spiral wire support that slips inside of any hose.

When you route your pressure relief valve overboard, you may want to consider locating the through-hull in an area that will be under water when you're off plane. That way, if the check valve fails while you're idling (and pulling a vacuum on the pump) it won't suck air in. If you do this, an emergency shutoff valve is strongly recommended at the through-hull.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM

Low pressure? If the the boat goes over 70 mph the pressures can get pretty high.. That same hose at 90 mph fails on a regular basis in a race boat..

70 mph is 70 lbs, 100 mph is 144 lbs on a speedometer. I have witnessed 250 lb gauges explode at while testing at 100 mph because of spikes.

Why chance it?

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Guys, i think let him deside which route he wants to go ..its kind of confusing with to many people answering the same question....we all mean the same but anyhow.......5 cook's 1 soup..will not work,,,just my opinion !!!????

I am out :leaving:

CRC
05-13-2010, 12:24 PM
FastDonzi, I do appreciate your input but I agree with the others that I need to use marine grade hose.

DAREDEVIL, thanks for all the help. I looked at the hose link and that will probably be what I use. I'm still waiting to call CP back; They must be on the west coast.

BTW, too many replies will not confuse me. The more info and opinions the better! :)

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 12:42 PM
FastDonzi, I do appreciate your input but I agree with the others that I need to use marine grade hose.

DAREDEVIL, thanks for all the help. I looked at the hose link and that will probably be what I use. I'm still waiting to call CP back; They must be on the west coast.

BTW, too many replies will not confuse me. The more info and opinions the better! :)

Your welcome, i just thoguht it would confuse somebody..hell...sometimes it confuses myself..LOL:sifone:

CRC
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Just got off the phone with CP Performance. I ordered the SS pump housing and a variety of fittings and the relief valve and "T" and thru-hull and hose for that and some 1 1/4" hose! Hopefully this will get me back on the water next week. Thanks again! :)

DAREDEVIL
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Just got off the phone with CP Performance. I ordered the SS pump housing and a variety of fittings and the relief valve and "T" and thru-hull and hose for that and some 1 1/4" hose! Hopefully this will get me back on the water next week. Thanks again! :)

Good deal......:cheers2:

Any questions,,just ask and we will help where we can..and if it does not work ..lol u did not listen:smash::bump:....never plame us for anything...HAHAHAHAHA:sifone: