PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase prop test, Is this normal?

2TR
05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Selling some props on ebay and I got a call from a local guy who wanted to take them for a "test"

Chris
05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
It's normal for a stocking dealer to offer exchanges. I suppose you could call that a test. You bought props. A professional helped you size them. If you need some more tweaking, they'll exchange them. But he made a sale and you committed to a purchase. I suppose if you were really dissatisfied a dealer might take them back if perfect.

Used props are like used anything. If you want to screw around on a demo before purchase it's up to you. But I'd say it would be pretty unusual. If this is the only outlet you have to sell them and you want to sell them badly, it may be your only option. I probably don't even need to type this part, but if I were doing it, I'd write up an agreement on what you're doing and he'd have to pay for them in full in cash.

2TR
05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I told him "no way", I don't need to deal with running down to the ramp, bolting them up and "testing" them.

I don't have the time or want to deal with that. I was just wondering if that was SOP when selling props.

Bertram38
05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I purchased two sets of props on ebay, sold to me As Is and both deals where great.
A picture is worth a thousand words. If have a good record on ebay, you should have no problems selling as is, where is.
Good luck.
B38

jetmech
05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I shipped a set of labbed props to a person with the understanding that if they didn't perform well on his boat that he would return them and reimburse me for shipping cost.
Not normal ... but resulted in the sale of the props .

I took a chance ... he had nothing to lose ...

I had people locally let me test props prior to purchase .

DAREDEVIL
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I shipped a set of labbed props to a person with the understanding that if they didn't perform well on his boat that he would return them and reimburse me for shipping cost.
Not normal ... but resulted in the sale of the props .

I took a chance ... he had nothing to lose ...

I had people locally let me test props prior to purchase .

:iagree:

Wahoo 214
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Can I test them?

Trim'd Up
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I have done it for people I know and a "friend of a friend" but not just some random person.

DAREDEVIL
05-12-2010, 07:17 PM
A person on here actually send me his SSM prop, didn't work so i send it back,,,no problem !!!!!!

But i guess there are some people i would not trusst...

Also if he is local ?? , why not ??:confused:

Donskihp
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Teague Custom Marine are good people to deal with,but when you buy a prop from them,they tell you out right no exchanges! Its yours. BBladed is the place for the guy who wants to test props

bulletbob
05-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I have done it for people I know and a "friend of a friend" but not just some random person.

Rick, If you don't know them I wouldn't trust them. to many scammers out there these days. You need to come see us in SC soon. Bob:cheers2:

t500hps
05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
I've bought/sold a couple props from OSO,SOS members......and tested/lent out several sets too. For an ebay transaction I'm not likely to let them test them.....for known members of these boating forums I've paid to ship props I was allowed to test and shipped props for others to test (some resulted in sales, others did not).

I bought a set of Maximus from a guy who later gave me another set that needed some work.....a year later he re-powered and I was able to give him a set of props that turned out perfect for his new application. One day I'll get burned but so far Trick Marine is the only one who's gotten me and that was only $100 bucks or so.

Thumper
05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Dont do It!!! Get money first then let them try with option to return If no damage!
I sold a Chris Cat to a guy and all went well!
Then he wanted bigger props, I got the props for him agreed on 1000.00 for 17x 33 merc 4 blades and sent them to AZ on my 40 bucks been over a year and no money and BS! BS! look up Cody White on OSO.
Now how do you send out stuff, even when you had a past deal?

Thumper

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Dont do It!!! Get money first then let them try with option to return If no damage!
I sold a Chris Cat to a guy and all went well!
Then he wanted bigger props, I got the props for him agreed on 1000.00 for 17x 33 merc 4 blades and sent them to AZ on my 40 bucks been over a year and no money and BS! BS! look up Cody White on OSO.
Now how do you send out stuff, even when you had a past deal?

Thumper

WELCOME HERE Thumper !!!!!

Your deal was not local,,he said LOCAL !!!!!!!!

And yes , i feel for ya..he really screwed u !!:(:ack2:
And now i could use them..at least the rh one ..lol

Thumper
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
WELCOME HERE Thumper !!!!!

Your deal was not local,,he said LOCAL !!!!!!!!

And yes , i feel for ya..he really screwed u !!:(:ack2:
And now i could use them..at least the rh one ..lol

Hey thanks Daredevil,
Yea I know he said local but at least it was the same subject:biggrinjester:

Thumper

GENERAL LEE
05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Selling some props on ebay and I got a call from a local guy who wanted to take them for a "test"

Unless I was either right there when he tested them, or it was someone I knew wouldn't jerk me around, I would make them send the money FIRST. We'd have the understanding that they come back to me as perfect as they were when I sent them, or they get no money back.

A total stranger on Ebay would not be testing my props without me having the full amount in my hands first. If they didn't work out for them, and came back in a timely manner and in the same condition as they left me, I would give them their money back.

Props are too easy to have accidents with, which is why "loaning" them out always should require a mutual understanding of the consequences, if something were to happen to them. I have borrowed props to test from friends before, but they were friends, and knew that if I messed one up, that I'd pay to fix them, or buy them. :cheers2:

2TR
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Let me clear this up a little:

* This local guy was from "down river", maybe 2hrs away
* Until this call I never heard of him and we have no mutual friends.
* He wanted me to take time out of my day to meet with him at the local
public ramp so he could bolt on my props and 'test" them. If they worked he would
buy them if not he would not.

The answer to his question from me was phuck no.. buy them and test them, if they don't work sell them (much like I am)

I was just wondering if letter a stranger who you don't know test a set of props was
normal. From the replies I'm saying its not.

bulletbob
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Phuck NO!!!

ThrottleUp Props
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I would say no to this scenario from a private seller to a private buyer. GLee brings up a great points as well.

Julie

Knot 4 Me
05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I borrowed a prop once for testing purposes on an old boat of mine. I paid for shipping both ways and deposited the sale price of the prop in the gentlemen's PayPal account before he shipped the prop out. He paid me back the price of the prop once I returned it undamaged. Pretty painless. I did not know the guy from Adam prior to the transaction.

Davem
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
buying used props are a crapshoot
did it twice one deal was as described
second deal prop was junk and the seller disappeared