PDA

View Full Version : 496 impeller rotation.

JRalston
05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
i have the raw water pumps off the motors and do not have access right now. as im facing the front of the motors im thinking they turn counter clockwise. any help?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-02-2010, 01:58 PM
From the back of the engine all mercruiser stern drive engines spin to the left.

US1Fountain
05-03-2010, 02:37 AM
If you are trying to put new ones in the direction they spin, don't worry about that. Just get the impellors in, even if the vanes are pointing both directions. They will flip to the correct orientation as soon as the pulley is turned.

Boat Tech
05-03-2010, 04:33 AM
i have the raw water pumps off the motors and do not have access right now. as im facing the front of the motors im thinking they turn counter clockwise. any help?No, they will turn clockwise, Or in other words they will turn to your right as your standing there looking at the engine from inside the boat.:)

From the back of the engine all mercruiser stern drive engines spin to the left.:iagree:

If you are trying to put new ones in the direction they spin, don't worry about that. Just get the impellors in, even if the vanes are pointing both directions. They will flip to the correct orientation as soon as the pulley is turned.Just make sure you lube it up really good, Then you'll be good to go with either direction you install the new impeller, But you really should try to go with the flow:leaving::)

cajunman
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
dawn dish soap dumped in the impeller after install works great as a lubricant.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I smear 2 4 C in the housing every time I change one.