PDA

View Full Version : Dyno and pics of a SLIGHTLY modified 502 Mag MPI

YoungPerformance
05-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Here are some pics of a slightly modified 502 Mag MPI :rolleyes:that we just finished. It is now 547 ci with Dart Pro 1 heads, Holley EFI intake, 2000 cfm throttle body, MEFI 4 ecm, etc, etc, etc.
I have received a ton of calls lately asking what can be done with a 502 Mag MPI to make more power. I thought those guys would like to see this. This may give you an idea of what that engine can look like and what kind of power it is capable of making. It ended up making 688 hp and 665 ft lbs of torque. It is going in a 28 Advantage of a fellow member.
I received it as a stock 502 Mag with damaged Pro1 heads and a burned piston. Here is what it looks like now. Enjoy, and thanks for looking.
Eddie

YoungPerformance
05-02-2010, 02:54 AM
A few more.

Here is a link to one of the dyno pulls. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlly31htQH8

dykstra
05-02-2010, 05:38 AM
:cheers2:awesome numbers, motor looks awesome too.:cheers2:

ufix1
05-02-2010, 07:29 AM
WOW !!!!!!

Bobcat
05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
looks good, but You fooled me buy not having belts on the motor !:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
05-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Nice !!!!! And i bet there is more HP in it, @ 547CI ?!
My 510 N/A on pumpgas made 666 HP...lol ( THE DYNO GUY SAID ,ITS A DEVIL MOTOR ), hehehehe:eek:

YoungPerformance
05-02-2010, 01:48 PM
looks good, but You fooled me buy not having belts on the motor !:sifone:

Thanks. I wish I could run them. On the v-belt setups, I run everything except the pump. I am cooling the engine with city water and the pump pulls more than the hose can supply. It ends up collapsing the hose and the engine doesn't get any water. Unfortunately with the serpentine, the belt runs everything. So with it gone, nothing turns.

Nice !!!!! And i bet there is more HP in it, @ 547CI ?!
My 510 N/A on pumpgas made 666 HP...lol ( THE DYNO GUY SAID ,ITS A DEVIL MOTOR ), hehehehe:eek:

The heads are a little small for the engine. The customer already had them, so we made them work. They are 310 cc Pro 1's, so it would benefit from the larger heads. No doubt it would make some more power.
Thanks
Eddie

KYElimEagle
05-02-2010, 08:20 PM
This engine looks awesome in person. Eddie does a fantastic job. Nice package. Eric

DAREDEVIL
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
This engine looks awesome in person. Eddie does a fantastic job. Nice package. Eric

:iagree:, did not se it in person...but i bet he does !!!!!:cheers2:

fixxxer22
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Looks great! where do you get your water fittings on your oil coolers?

DAREDEVIL
05-02-2010, 09:36 PM

They look like Stainless Marine !!!!!:cheers2:

YoungPerformance
05-03-2010, 12:38 AM

If you are referring to the SS fittings, they are cast SS 1" npt X 1 1/4" 90* and they come from CP Performance/Hardin Marine. They also have some fabricated fittings, but I prefer the cast ones. They look nicer and the have a hex casted in to tighten them.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words. I definitely think they need to look as good as they run. Everyone wants to show their stuff off. They spend a ton of their hard earned money on these engines and they shouldn't have to keep them closed up. I am still amazed that this was a plain, black Merc 502 Mag MPI with that big, dumb, goofy intake not that long ago. When I first sent pics to the customer, he didn't believe it was his:D
Eddie

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 12:43 AM
When I first sent pics to the customer, he didn't believe it was his:D
Eddie

LOL,,,thats cool...:cheers2:

PS, what blue is that....me likey .

YoungPerformance
05-03-2010, 01:19 AM
It was actually a custom color we made at the paint store. I didn't paint the valve covers. They came powdercoated blue like you see. I took them to the paint store and we matched them with a twist. We added some pearl base maker and microflake. I have the code with the exact amount of pearl added if you want it. Just let me know.
Eddie

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 01:20 AM
It was actually a custom color we made at the paint store. I didn't paint the valve covers. They came powdercoated blue like you see. I took them to the paint store and we matched them with a twist. We added some pearl base maker and microflake. I have the code with the exact amount of pearl added if you want it. Just let me know.
Eddie

Yes, if u could PM that code would be great !!!!!

Thanks.

fixxxer22
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
If you are referring to the SS fittings, they are cast SS 1" npt X 1 1/4" 90* and they come from CP Performance/Hardin Marine. They also have some fabricated fittings, but I prefer the cast ones. They look nicer and the have a hex casted in to tighten them.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words. I definitely think they need to look as good as they run. Everyone wants to show their stuff off. They spend a ton of their hard earned money on these engines and they shouldn't have to keep them closed up. I am still amazed that this was a plain, black Merc 502 Mag MPI with that big, dumb, goofy intake not that long ago. When I first sent pics to the customer, he didn't believe it was his:D
Eddie

thanks Eddie! Yeah, i am running a cooler like that but with a thermostat. i made some crude fittings. I found them at CP so i have them on the way.

I was also watching some of your test runs on youtube. really really cool stuff. its neat you put alot of that stuff on tape. interesting to see how the pros do it.

Fast Shafts
05-03-2010, 10:22 AM
YP,
What would the cost be to have something like this built? Thanks for sharing!

bulletbob
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Looks great as usual. It would look awesome in my Suburban. What did you finally put in your burb. Lets see some pics of that with the wheels and lift.

LittleDcsRodShop
05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
:iagree:, did not se it in person...but i bet he does !!!!!:cheers2:

No, honestly he's not much to look at & I'm still not sure what his wife was thinking.. But yeah the engine looks great !!

:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
No, honestly he's not much to look at & I'm still not sure what his wife was thinking.. But yeah the engine looks great !!

:eek:LOLOLOL :sifone:

YoungPerformance
05-03-2010, 02:47 PM
YP,
What would the cost be to have something like this built? Thanks for sharing!

I sent you a pm with pricing info. I don't like to advertise what my customers spend with me. His wife may be reading this:sifone:
If he would like to post it, then that is fine with me. Thanks
Eddie

YoungPerformance
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks great as usual. It would look awesome in my Suburban. What did you finally put in your burb. Lets see some pics of that with the wheels and lift.

That is John (Thunderusone) that has the burb. He is one of my customers/friends. I have been helping him with the burb. We are building a 572 for it now.

She thought I had money. Boy was she in for a BIG surprise. By the time she realized that I was broke, I had already knocked her up. I still look like a hero compared to the last POS she was with.:sifone: I guess compared to him, I am rich. He didn't even have a car. I came rolling in in a brand new dually, so you could imagine what she was thinking. It just turns out that I have good credit, or credick,depending on where you are from.:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
She thought I had money. Boy was she in for a BIG surprise. By the time she realized that I was broke, I had already knocked her up. I still look like a hero compared to the last POS she was with.:sifone: I guess compared to him, I am rich. He didn't even have a car. I came rolling in in a brand new dually, so you could imagine what she was thinking. It just turns out that I have good credit, or credick,depending on where you are from.:sifone:[/QUOTE]

lol:sifone:

LittleDcsRodShop
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
That is John (Thunderusone) that has the burb. He is one of my customers/friends. I have been helping him with the burb. We are building a 572 for it now.

She thought I had money. Boy was she in for a BIG surprise. By the time she realized that I was broke, I had already knocked her up. I still look like a hero compared to the last POS she was with.:sifone: I guess compared to him, I am rich. He didn't even have a car. I came rolling in in a brand new dually, so you could imagine what she was thinking. It just turns out that I have good credit, or credick,depending on where you are from.:sifone:

HaHa !!! I knew there had to be some sort of an explanation... Now that I think of it thats pretty much my story only I had already gotten rid of the dually & was in a twin turbo rx.. lol.. I've never taken credit as the smartest feller in the world but I think we can both say it worked for to our advantage.. So...:iamwithstupid:

On with the thread... The motor looks & sounds great !! I gotta add that I'm kinda partial to the yellow backdrop as well..:sifone: