PDA

View Full Version : Need to borrow/rent a LH 16.5" x 29" (+/-) speedy prop for a shakedown

C_Spray
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Does anyone around southeast PA/northern MD have a LH speedy prop near 16.5" x 29", preferably 18 degree rake that I could borrow/rent/steal for a shakedown run around May 14th? I promise to be careful with it, and will pay for any damages...

I may need to hang on to it for the Smith Mountain Lake Poker Run on May 22 as well...

DaveP
04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a 23 Pitch Bravo that made my 22' Scarab SPEEDY at one time. Does that count? :)

shifter
04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
LH for the batboat? Are going to turn the propshaft anti clockwise? How many blades?

pat W

C_Spray
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
LH for the batboat? Are going to turn the propshaft anti clockwise? How many blades?

pat WYep, the 725/Indy package that we talked about in December. No one could explain it, but many people I spoke with felt that LH just tends to work better in singles. The best I could do from propshaft height was zero to the bottom. Going for 3" up would have jacked the engine through the hatches...

Hering's guess is that I'll wind up with five, but they'd like me to test something/anything before they go off and make something based on estimates and calculations alone.

I'd be happy to try anything from four blades to six and from 16" x 28" to 17 x 31"...

shifter
05-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Chuck,

I have a friend with a 17x29 LH 4 blade if you need it let me know. He has the RH too if you can flip the rotation easy. I would test both and not take anyones advice.

How fast are you shooting for?

pat W

C_Spray
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Pat,

So far, that's the only offer I have...

Swapping rotation is a bit beyond my capabilities (and time frame for the first Poker Run May 22), although we want to do it at some point.

The math looks like something around 110-114.

shifter
05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
You might want to drop the drive about an inch. If you need the prop let me know.

pat W

DAREDEVIL
05-01-2010, 05:38 PM
You might want to drop the drive about an inch.

pat W

:iagree:

C_Spray
05-01-2010, 05:52 PM
You might want to drop the drive about an inch. If you need the prop let me know.

pat WAfter I fought so hard to get it this high? You were the one that was pushing me at PRI to got for +3"!

If I went down 2", I could cancel my entire hatch-building project...

At least spacers are already available and easy to install, right down to 1/4" increments.

I don't think that I have time to do any serious changes or testing until Late May, after the SML Poker run. By then, I'll try to round up an assortment of spacers and a RH drive. (There is still a rumor of a CNC skeg option at some point...)

shifter
05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
The problem with splitting the the bottom is the water normally is blown away from the prop.

If you keep the drive install high you can test several setups. It is a pain in the but to move the engine again.

If you need the props let me know I also have a 17x28 rh 4 blade.

Good luck Chuck,

pat W

C_Spray
05-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Here's a couple of shots. Obviously, the straightedge is slightly off to one side, so the drive appears to be slightly lower than it really is. The straightedge is laid along the back section of the hull. If I moved the front end of the straightedge forward to the bottom edge of the last step, the centerline of the drive would appear to be about 1" under water.

Going any higher is pretty much a "no way" proposition. If I wanted to get the propshaft lower in the water, spacers make more sense than dropping the engine.

I'll start pushing Ilmor for a shortie...

DAREDEVIL
05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Here's a couple of shots. Obviously, the straightedge is slightly off to one side, so the drive appears to be slightly lower than it really is. The straightedge is laid along the back section of the hull. If I moved the front end of the straightedge forward to the bottom edge of the last step, the centerline of the drive would appear to be about 1" under water.

Going any higher is pretty much a "no way" proposition. If I wanted to get the propshaft lower in the water, spacers make more sense than dropping the engine.

I'll start pushing Ilmor for a shortie...

It actually looks fine, but for trying props a spacer would help !!!
I would ot go higher,,on step bottoms they tend to porpouse !!!!!

C_Spray
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Got the prop(s); working on a loaner 2" spacer from Ilmor.

JoeD
05-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a Lh 17 x33 4bl to fit a big shaft #6.

shifter
05-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Have fun out there.

pat W

C_Spray
05-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll update the Ilmor build thread once we get running.