PDA

View Full Version : Who has ADD ???

LIVE WIRE
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
In my wifes effort to try and figure out why I never listen to her :rofl: She came across some information in a book about Adult ADD that I found amusing.
The book stated that it is very common for people with ADD to enjoy "thrill seeking " types of activities . such as car racing , bungee jumping , skiing etc... . It also stated that most of the activities are generally individual type activities rather than team or group activities. It went on to say that it is also common for people with ADD to be interested in "souping up " there vehicles or trucks by adding the lastest performance enhancing or dressing up type accessories.
People with ADD seek these types of activities to keep their racing minds satisfied, such as driving at high rates of speed and constantly looking at ways to improve a vehical to achieve this need for speed and quick thrills :driving:

After she read this to me I realized this was me to a tee. Then I realized its everyone of my friends . So if this is one of the effects of ADD where do I sign up.

Anybody else here like to drive fast ??? You must have ADD too:willy_nilly:

DAREDEVIL
04-24-2010, 11:06 AM
In my wifes effort to try and figure out why I never listen to her :rofl: She came across some information in a book about Adult ADD that I found amusing.
The book stated that it is very common for people with ADD to enjoy "thrill seeking " types of activities . such as car racing , bungee jumping , skiing etc... . It also stated that most of the activities are generally individual type activities rather than team or group activities. It went on to say that it is also common for people with ADD to be interested in "souping up " there vehicles or trucks by adding the lastest performance enhancing or dressing up type accessories.
People with ADD seek these types of activities to keep their racing minds satisfied, such as driving at high rates of speed and constantly looking at ways to improve a vehical to achieve this need for speed and quick thrills :driving:

After she read this to me I realized this was me to a tee. Then I realized its everyone of my friends . So if this is one of the effects of ADD where do I sign up.

Anybody else here like to drive fast ??? You must have ADD too:willy_nilly:

Funny, but WTF is ADD ???? mmmhhhhh

LIVE WIRE
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Funny, but WTF is ADD ???? mmmhhhhh

I think its a disease that makes you drive fast:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
It is an excuse to medicate for being energetic.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh yes, I must have it along with a mild case of OCD. I also must have RLS restless leg syndrome. I can't keep still. And I can go on.. RTS running tongue syndrome.....

Nothing happens fast enough. I am late right now I better get something done. But what first, Should I grind or glass? Maybe pick some weeds.. Blow off the driveway. It is hard to work in a messy place. Do you here me?

Sean Stinson
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
That is me to the tee as well as anal retentive!!!!

LIVE WIRE
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh yes, I must have it along with a mild case of OCD. I also must have RLS restless leg syndrome. I can't keep still. And I can go on.. RTS running tongue syndrome.....

Nothing happens fast enough. I am late right now I better get something done. But what first, Should I grind or glass? Maybe pick some weeds.. Blow off the driveway. It is hard to work in a messy place. Do you here me?

LMAO... Personally I love my ADD .It gives me edge in everything I do. I have 100 thoughts & ideas to 1 of any "normal" persons.And Im always doing something even if its wrong.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Do you take road trips in silence just to let your mind wonder? I can drive 15 hours in silence and never be at a loss for thoughts.

Baja Fresh
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM
I only got through the first couple sentences of your post before something else got my attention and I moved on! :willy_nilly: :D

LIVE WIRE
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Im in my office doing estimates today. The flat screen on the discovery channel the computer on SOS and the shop doors open so i can see whats going on outside just to keep the demons in my head occupied long enough to get thru a few estimates.

Coolerman
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM

lmao!

That's about as funny as "The #1 cause of suicide is untreated depression. The #2 cause of suicide is treated depression." Now that I'm wandering on funny psychological quotes here, lol, "Depression is anger without enthusiasm." :sifone: My psychology prof has a horrible sense of humor. Didn't even laugh when I told her those.

Ange
04-24-2010, 01:01 PM

MMM, I would love to say what I really think of this comment, but I will refrain and chalk it up to a lack of knowledge. Attention Deficit Disorder is NOT an excuse for medication. In fact, a great number of the medications have side effects that make you wonder if it is really worth taking it or not. Perhaps you are confusing it with the ADHD which adds the Hyperactivity trait, although those medications have harmful side effects as well. Not everyone with ADD is hyperactive.

In children ADD/ADHD can cause serious problems in school and in accomplishing tasks at home. The failures and low scores at school can be detrimental to the child's future and self-esteem, especially when those that have no understanding are the ones they have to deal with every day.

In adults, ADD can sometimes be even worse. ADD has been linked to mood changes, problems in maintaining relationships, and even the ability to hold down a job. ADD/ADHD is typically more prevalent in males, and does tend to run in families. Most children and adults with ADD have difficulty with subjects and tasks that involve math, but are often very smart. They just have problems processing things to completion.

I will give you one family case study. One brother did not graduate high school until he was almost 20, has horrible mood swings, a bad attitude and appears to be aimless and not even looking for employment. He has ADHD, refuses to see it and refuses medication. The sister is married, finishing certification to be a licensed massage therapist, has a son of her own. Her outlook is positive, her relationships healthy and has goals for herself. She has ADD, and takes medication. She also has instructors in her classes that realize that by having something to keep her hands busy, she is able to focus on the lecture better and allow her to knit in class. The second brother, somehow, manged to skip ADD/ADHD altogether.

The mother admits to having many problems in school, problems finishing things at work and creating issues there, and some issues in previous relationships. She tends to feel overwhelmed at times and shuts down completely. She has to make lists for everything or nothing gets done. She cannot even wash the dinner dishes without getting distracted and moving off to do something else. The daughter has had to make her leave a store because the shopping list didn't make it to the store and panic was setting in. There are times she literally "feels" her brain not working the way it should and gets very frustrated. At the time of her diagnosis, the doctor had her fill out a questionaire and stopped her about halfway through saying that she didn't need to finish, the answers given to that point showed an extreme case of ADD. The medications cause numerous side effects for her, but she has recently moved and is in search of a new doctor to try something new.

The grandmother also has ADD, although not to the extreme of any of the others. She says it's too late to change anything now, and leaves it alone. The family deals with the moods etc.

At this point I am sure you wonder why I know so much. No, I am not a doctor. Lord knows, I would never make it through that much school.

I am, however, that mother.

phragle
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
ADD?? ME?? couple that with whats probably the beginings of boxer syndrome and trying to go to college.....

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Ange, Yes there is a wide spectrum of symptoms. Yes, I may not match your understanding but, my son was diagnosed with it. I do know a little bit. A doctor tried to get me to take medication. no thanks. Finally yes I am over generalizing.

There is a pill for everything now. Can't quit smoking take a pill. Can't stop eating take a pill. Have a bad mood problem yes more pills. I call BS.

What is lacking in some cases is ambition.. There isn't a pill for that yet is there? I suspect someone is working on it. Should be big seller.

Ange
04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
MMM, I agree that there are a lot of "excuses" to take pills when some things can be alleviated by just putting forth some effort. As you can tell, ADD is not always one of those things for some people.

When they make that ambition pill, maybe they will come up with a common sense one as well!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
When they make that ambition pill, maybe they will come up with a common sense one as well!

Yes, that would be a good one too.

We are just poking fun at ourselves here. Please don't take offense. I know I mean no harm and suspect the others don't either.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I am working in my boat today. Every time I climb out I see something else that needs my attention. Garden needed watering. The damn wind keeps blowing leaves and pollen around. So I get the blower. Then I walk in and check this thread.. Its almost lunch what should I have, Not now. Just get back to work JimBob get her done.

Buoy
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
I am working in my boat today. Every time I climb out I see something else that needs my attention. Garden needed watering. The damn wind keeps blowing leaves and pollen around. So I get the blower. Then I walk in and check this thread.. Its almost lunch what should I have, Not now. Just get back to work JimBob get her done.

I'm guilty of this also...
I start working on one project, and see something else that also needs done, so half way through one project, I go off and start another...
Next thing I know I've got 3-4 projects going at the same time, and just increased my daily workload from a few hours to an entire day.
No joke, while I was taking a shower this morning, I also decided to scrub the entire shower and tub, so I'm naked taking a shower, and I also have a scrubbing sponge and cleaner in my hand to scrub the walls/tub/shower doors.
I'll just call it multi-tasking:)

Tony
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
So you guys are saying that its not normal to keep at least a dozzen major projects on your plate at all times? :confused:

All this time Ive just been telling my wife "thats what men do"

****, its raining.

DAREDEVIL
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I think its a disease that makes you drive fast:sifone:

In that case , i got it !!!!!! :sifone:

THEJOKER
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I have definitely have A.D.D.

Premier Perf
04-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I was first digonsis with ADD when i was 4yrs old.....now i understand why:sifone:

Fountain38SC
04-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Where are my MEDS?????

35 Lightning
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Apparently, ADD is also known to cause C.I. Disorder, the uncontrollable desire for more Cubic Inches,, it's killing me, I started many years ago with 396, then 427, then 454,
then 502, and now 540 ,what's next.

Ange
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
You know it's bad when you have to make a list to clean the house. I can't take something from one room to another without stopping along the way or starting something in the room I go into. I loaded the dishwasher and didn't start it two days ago because I was going to take a shower. I have since hand washed dishes a couple of times. Has the dishwasher gotten run yet? Nope. Will it this weekend? Possibly. But right now I'm going to go play Cabela's Big Game Hunter on Wii, so it ain't happening right now either!

Sean Stinson
04-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Apparently, ADD is also known to cause C.I. Disorder, the uncontrollable desire for more Cubic Inches,, it's killing me, I started many years ago with 396, then 427, then 454,
then 502, and now 540 ,what's next.

I am working on 800" on paper will see whats up from there!!!!

LIVE WIRE
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Do you take road trips in silence just to let your mind wonder? I can drive 15 hours in silence and never be at a loss for thoughts.

:iagree:Sometimes I'm in my 4th or 5th hour of the trip before I realize I forgot to turn on the radio.
I look for any excuse to take long a road trip specially if I'm towing something ( preferably something big ). The truck becomes my FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE and I can process all the demons in my head ... BUFFERING BUFFERING BUFFERING BUFFERING...

35 Lightning
04-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I am working on 800" on paper will see whats up from there!!!!

I'm thinking that may be the cure, short term of course.

Davidmnc
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure if I have it or not. I lost interest before I finished reading his post

jmak
04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Named my new boat ADD.

Pure Energy
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
You know it's bad when you have to make a list to clean the house. I can't take something from one room to another without stopping along the way or starting something in the room I go into. I loaded the dishwasher and didn't start it two days ago because I was going to take a shower. I have since hand washed dishes a couple of times. Has the dishwasher gotten run yet? Nope. Will it this weekend? Possibly. But right now I'm going to go play Cabela's Big Game Hunter on Wii, so it ain't happening right now either!

+1

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2010, 10:57 PM
+1

Pretty funny we all have the same tendencies.

ImaPoser
04-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I was redoing the tile floor in the kitchen last weekend. When my wife wondered why it was taking me so long to mix another batch of mortar, she came outside to check on me. She found me up on the roof patching a vent. What can I say? The stuff to fix it was right next to the mixer for the mortar.
I might have a touch of it. :)

Not Right
04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
too funny, never been diagnosed but I am positive I have ADD, I have never read (or probably written) a response to a post more than 1-2 sentences

stainless
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
The us population is deficient in omega 3 fatty acids. These are essential for proper production of neurotransmitters (brain chemicals). There are 2 ways to get these. 1) eat pacific cold water salmon 5 times a week, or 2)take a high quality omega 3 supplement.
Look for molecular distilled ( removes mercury ) and a 2:1 ratio of epa to dha. You should shoot for at least 3-5000mg of epa/dha total per day. Increasing omega 3 supplementation has been linked to improved brain function (concentration), decreased risk of alzheimers, improved joint function, lower cholesterol, and a decreased risk of sudden cardiac death. Check out brainplace.com for more info.

Ange
04-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Good information Stainless!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Sunday Morning CBS TV this morning is going to do a piece on a "smart"pill. It should be on any minute.

DAREDEVIL
04-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Sunday Morning CBS TV this morning is going to do a piece on a "smart"pill. It should be on any minute.

We can not take that one at all...or we will never boat again..lol:sifone:

stainless
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
We can not take that one at all...or we will never boat again..lol:sifone:

LMAO! :cheers2:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I must have missed the part that said it was coming up Next week. Sorry if you looked for it.

BRD
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
I definately have AADDDDDDD !!!!!

mosi
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
The us population is deficient in omega 3 fatty acids. These are essential for proper production of neurotransmitters (brain chemicals). There are 2 ways to get these. 1) eat pacific cold water salmon 5 times a week, or 2)take a high quality omega 3 supplement.
Look for molecular distilled ( removes mercury ) and a 2:1 ratio of epa to dha. You should shoot for at least 3-5000mg of epa/dha total per day. Increasing omega 3 supplementation has been linked to improved brain function (concentration), decreased risk of alzheimers, improved joint function, lower cholesterol, and a decreased risk of sudden cardiac death. Check out brainplace.com for more info.

With all that extra food and supplements.....I'm going to have a hard time eating all my regular meals and snacks:(

Too much to think about right now........off to take a nap:)

stainless
04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
With all that extra food and supplements.....I'm going to have a hard time eating all my regular meals and snacks:(

Too much to think about right now........off to take a nap:)

Nutri-west makes an excellent liquid omega 3, 1 teaspoon before bed and that's it. :cheers2:

phragle
04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
ADD?? Advanced DareDevil syndrome??? :D

Sunsation96
04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I have ADD and have been medicated all of my child hood and most of my adult life, I recently have stop taking meds for it, but to be honest I can notice a huge difference staying on task at work and at home. I really want to continue without meds but it is tuff.

DAREDEVIL
04-25-2010, 01:58 PM
ADD?? Advanced DareDevil syndrome??? :D

lolololol:sifone:

ItsPeanut
04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Whats this thread about. I forgot.

Heavyhauler
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I think most everyone here has Ambition, Desire, and Drive. Kinda reminds me of the person who thought I might me an alcoholic. I said no way I'm an alcoholic. I'm a drunkard. Alcoholics have to go to meetings.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-25-2010, 07:03 PM

It is on 60 minutes tonight. Just saw the preview. I wonder if it is ADD med that the students are taking to help the study all night.

drpete3
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM

also an effective treatment to dry eye syndrome and protective for macular degeneration. I recommend nordic naturals http://www.nordicnaturals.com/

drpete3
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
the funny thing I thought about while reading this thread is how I am more of a big picture person and not "into" the details....ADD

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes students are taking Aderal and other ADD stimulants to study according to the 60 minutes piece . Many believe it raises their grades. I don't recall the numbers but it was almost half the Seniors questioned.

Sea-Dated
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I was ADD before ADD was cool.

Was on Retilin from 2nd grade through 5th and then off and on through high school. My family and I hated the way the meds made me act. Completely took away my personality and made me zombie like.

There is a squirrel outside my window........ :rofl:

Big Time
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
My parents took me to get tested for ADD when I was a kid because I didn't pay attention in class. Had no idea why I was going to the "doctor" to get test done, all I knew was that I was getting a new Tonka truck when I got done.

Test's came back negative...turns out that I just didn't give a $hit about the 1st grade. :)

ChiefApache
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I was ADD before ADD was cool.

Was on Retilin from 2nd grade through 5th and then off and on through high school. My family and I hated the way the meds made me act. Completely took away my personality and made me zombie like.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ChiefApache
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I definately have AADDDDDDD !!!!!

We all know that. Tell us something we don't know. :kiss:

Jayhawker
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Nutri-west makes an excellent liquid omega 3, 1 teaspoon before bed and that's it. :cheers2:

Mosi already takes several liquid supplements!:cheers2:

LIVE WIRE
04-26-2010, 04:53 PM

LMAO...:willy_nilly:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
The squirrels here act like they are on LSD.

Bobcat
04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
My parents took me to get tested for ADD when I was a kid because I didn't pay attention in class. Had no idea why I was going to the "doctor" to get test done, all I knew was that I was getting a new Tonka truck when I got done.

Test's came back negative...turns out that I just didn't give a $hit about the 1st grade. :)

For gosh sakes man! you were 16 !:bump:

Big Time
04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
For gosh sakes man! you were 16 !:bump:

Sorry, I left that part out. It is true, I was the first kid in my town driving to Elementary School. :driving:

wantmeown
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I must have it..i fit at least a couple of those--oohh shiny new cars! gotta go

Cookee
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Ange - I feel for you - I have never been diagnosed but my new wife is sure I have it, and I have lots of the symptoms. I recently traced my birth father, and I have Nail Patella syndrome of which ADD seems to be a side effect - somehow I'm not surprised! :-)

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
What was I doing?...Oh fitting floor pieces..Is it time for lunch? NO fit the pieces..

Just get it done.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
That's right I came in to get the camera. Its in my hand now.

Back to work.

f311fr1
04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I have ADD as does my daughter. I had to train myself to stay on task at work and JUST GET IT DONE. It took years. My daughter is 37 and just cannot stay on track to finish anything when she is not on her Adderol. You cannot just go off the meds cold turkey either or you are a basket case for about a month. The key for her is the right dosage and do NOT self medicate. Alcohol just makes the condition much worse long term. Many people have it and self medicate with alcohol.

Ange
04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Cookee, I had to look up Nail Patella! Very interesting that something that manifests in the bones and joints etc, would be linked to ADD.

Cookee
04-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Cookee, I had to look up Nail Patella! Very interesting that something that manifests in the bones and joints etc, would be linked to ADD.

Here you go: Someone in Florida with NPS (http://npsflorida.homestead.com/nps.html) As luck would have it the only physical problems I have is with the inability to straighten my elbows fully - everything else pretty much is as it should be. I have a neice in Ireland who had a club foot and some more stuff, and my natural Father, Aunt and Grandfather, when I meet them I'll have to ask about the ADD!

OneBadInjun
05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
also an effective treatment to dry eye syndrome and protective for macular degeneration. I recommend nordic naturals http://www.nordicnaturals.com/
Good info Doc. Thank-you. I have extreme dry-mouth, only at night. Just started this problem. What am I lacking? Seriously. Thanks.