PDA

View Full Version : need help getting gel kote numbers

bajabob 718
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
call two places to get gel kote for my 1988baja to many reds to pick from there site is down help :lolhit:

Offshore Ginger
04-23-2010, 03:19 PM
are you talking about www.spectrumcolor.com and just by chance do you have there product catalog ?

bajabob 718
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
i call them they told me there site has not been rigth for monthsthey were going to send me catalog . i having got it ..i call the other co. they said i got to call baja and get code for the gel kote?? dont no who to call

bajabob 718
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
i just got the catalog they only have the white code

afr
04-25-2010, 03:24 PM
youll have to match it by eye buff up a section first

Offshore Ginger
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Bob ,my catalog shows that Baja used a red jell coat between the years of 85-to 91 and is the only red jell used during those years according to my catalog and Spectrum's color code is or was #2052 and the category ID is GAL only. Bob i hope this helps and if you want me to fax these pages to you i will be more then happy to.

bajabob 718
04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
thanks for the info :cheers2:.you are rigth .. kathy sent me the catalog :)after i read your post i call them . can i spray that gel in a binks gun and what would i thin it with???

Lakeside
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Gelcoat requires a very large tip gun to spray it. Also if you need a color match you may have to remove a section of material & send it in to have it scanned. Otherwise you have to tint & adjust by hand.

Offshore Ginger
04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
thanks for the info :cheers2:.you are rigth .. kathy sent me the catalog :)after i read your post i call them . can i spray that gel in a binks gun and what would i thin it with??? Yes you can spray it thru a Binks and like Jammie said the bigger the tip the better but then again i have sprayed jell thru a prevalue .

Lakeside
04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I have shot some stuff thru a Preval touch up sprayer before too for tiny tiny stuff, but you depending on the manufacturers gel, you sometimes have to reduce it waay toooo much in those things to get it to shoot.. So I usually try to side step Preval's & Gelcoat.. :D

Everyone usually has their favorite tip & gun for shooting gel that does it regularly.. I think they Preval tips are probably like a 1.0 equivalent & Gel is IMO best shot thru at least a 1.8 or 2.0 tip.. I have also noticed some companies gel's flow better than others:) Jamie / Lakeside

bajabob 718
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
can i take a tip and drill it bigger????

Offshore Ginger
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
can i take a tip and drill it bigger???? Bob i would really hold off on doing that and might i suggest finding someone who handles binks spray gun's and see if you can purchase a bigger tip & needle for your gun. Bob is your gun a 2001 ? Bob , i have a parts gun in the back that i used at Skater and if you have a 2001 maybe i can hook you up . Bob i will pull the old girl out and take a look and see what size tip and needle she has .

Lakeside
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Dont just drill it out. The needle must also match the tip & seat. Otherwise it wont work right... Do it right & either get a new tip kit or a bigger gun... You will be glad you did.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

US1Fountain
04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I ordered the white Gel from Spectrum for my Baja as it was supposed to be the original mix. I had it sprayed just this week and it was whiter than the boat do to the gel fading and UV . I'd think any gel would still need to be tinted if you want a good match.