PDA

View Full Version : Who burps their motors before getting wet ???

LIVE WIRE
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Last season I had few occasions when I had some kind of gremlin ( tether cord:dupe:, bad battery & a bad ground connection to fuel pump etc... ) after backing the boat down the ramp and into the water . As I was trouble shooting other boats were waiting to use the ramp. So instead of holding people up or pulling the boat back out . I was thinking of burping the motor QUICKLY to make sure it fires . I was told that would cause any mechanical issues.

Any thoughts :confused:

fund razor
04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I always run them at home on the hose before I go. Then again in the water. I am talking past boats, this one ain't done.

Indy
04-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Impeller? Wouldn't be worth it to me. Hate to be 10 miles out and have the stupid things go up on me.

BY U BOY
04-22-2010, 08:47 PM
my launch is 30 miles away so i always warm it up at home for 10 mins before i hook up.

Davidmnc
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I warm up at home on the hose where all the tools are. And no one is waiting for me to get out of there way. I hate boat ramp mechanics!

sunshadow
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I've changed a bunch of impellers over the years. I would never run dry even for a second.

LIVE WIRE
04-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I warm up at home on the hose where all the tools are. .

Thinking this might be my new procedure

Seafordguy
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I head to the ramp and hope for the best..... NO doubt this will come back to haunt me.

drpete3
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I head to the ramp and hope for the best..... NO doubt this will come back to haunt me.Y? I guess if you live in a sub that wont allow it. I live in the country so no reason I cant run it at home first. Plus I love to hear the engine while I stand behind the exhaust

PARADOX
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Most of the time I start the motors for a bit before the ramp, at storage. But even at the ramps, once the drives are in the weater, I turn the motors over, start for a few sec. just making sure batteries are still good. Then I release the boat.

fund razor
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Y? I guess if you live in a sub that wont allow it. I live in the country so no reason I cant run it at home first. Plus I love to hear the engine while I stand behind the exhaust

I live in the city but out near the suburbs and my neighbors and I are good. I keep the starts to a minimum and I don't do it for entertainment and they are glad that I have a hobby that keeps me outside watching their houses while I work on the boat. :D

And I love their dogs that bark like crazy and the dogs love me. So, they look the other way. :)

DAREDEVIL
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Impeller? Wouldn't be worth it to me. Hate to be 10 miles out and have the stupid things go up on me.

I've changed a bunch of impellers over the years. I would never run dry even for a second.

mmmmhhhhhh,,,,who said anything about running the engines dry ?????

Everybody should fire them up at the hose .at home/storage....just to make sure nothing leaks...and everything is ok...how stupid is it , to get to the ramp and find out to go back home and while finding out keep fellow boaters from having fun ?!

Seafordguy
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Y? I guess if you live in a sub that wont allow it. I live in the country so no reason I cant run it at home first. Plus I love to hear the engine while I stand behind the exhaust

I'm only about 4 miles to the ramp so if I get down there and something isn't right nothing is really lost.....

My neighbors don't care at all. The neighbors all laugh about how I rattle the entire neighborhood awake when I come home at 1 or 2 am.... I'm lucky enough that I have lived on the same street my entire life so they just like to see me enjoying myself.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I have barked them dry for years. Ra Ra vroom off. No issues. There is water in the lines and motor. The impeller doesn't care if it fires for 1 second.

I did however get scolded once because someone insisted not to. He gave no particular reason. If you really get particular every time you start the engine it has to build oil pressure so the most anal guys crank theirs no spark until oil pressure shows and then hit ignition. If I had $90k engines I would too.

Last thought. I don't do it to outboards though. I had one many years ago that I barked and it wouldn't turn off. I started pulling spark plugs to kill it. It ran until the very last on was off. It didn't hurt it but I must have looked like a nut to any witness. Motor running, no water in sight and me in a panic.

DAREDEVIL
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Last thought. I don't do it to outboards though. I had one many years ago that I barked and it wouldn't turn off. I started pulling spark plugs to kill it. It ran until the very last on was off. It didn't hurt it but I must have looked like a nut to any witness. Motor running, no water in sight and me in a panic.

WOW ...thats crazy :eek:

What was it why it would not shut off..u ever found out ??

nortech4play
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I never do, I just drop the lift to the boarding level and warm them up...btw what's a ramp....lol...

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
An outboard grounds the ignition to kill it. Like a magneto. It had no ground.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
I never do, I just drop the lift to the boarding level and warm them up...btw what's a ramp....lol...

No need to there. :sifone:

Twin27Advantage
04-23-2010, 12:30 AM
If you just built your motor or had previous problems I understand...but why waste the time? If my boat ran flawless Fri., Sat. and Sun. then parked in my driveway...why check to make sure everything is ok the next weekend?...Sure, next time at the ramp I will make sure water is coming out the exhaust upon start-up, but other than that, I have trust in my motors. If you can't trust your motors...you likely used the wrong builder.

Its called standard maintenance...new impellers every two, and new plugs, wires, caps and rotors every year. If it needs it or not, it is standard maintenance. At 600 hours, new rings, bearing, re-do the heads if they need it or not.

Although, if I lived two hours from the ramp, I would likey make sure they at least turned over.

Indy
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
mmmmhhhhhh,,,,who said anything about running the engines dry ?????

mmmmmhhhh...re-read his post.

C_Spray
04-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I have barked them dry for years. Ra Ra vroom off. No issues. There is water in the lines and motor. The impeller doesn't care if it fires for 1 second...

:iagree: +1. Been doing it for 25 years and never, ever killed or damaged an impeller. The key is "1 second". Not 10 or 20....

rchevelle71
04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
An outboard grounds the ignition to kill it. Like a magneto. It had no ground.

What does that have to do with if it is at the ramp, or on the trailer? Water or no water that would have happened?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
It was running without water. If it was in the water It would not have mattered much.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
If you just built your motor or had previous problems I understand...but why waste the time? If my boat ran flawless Fri., Sat. and Sun. then parked in my driveway...why check to make sure everything is ok the next weekend?...Sure, next time at the ramp I will make sure water is coming out the exhaust upon start-up, but other than that, I have trust in my motors. If you can't trust your motors...you likely used the wrong builder.

Its called standard maintenance...new impellers every two, and new plugs, wires, caps and rotors every year. If it needs it or not, it is standard maintenance. At 600 hours, new rings, bearing, re-do the heads if they need it or not.

Although, if I lived two hours from the ramp, I would likey make sure they at least turned over.

I agree.. However, I work on numerous boats; all get tested. I want to know they will fire before going through the routine of splashing them or putting water to them. As you know there are countless things that can prevent an engine from starting. Solenoids, starters, switches, breakers, fuses, modules, ect. any of these components can fail at anytime often with out notice. Most of the parts you mentioned in seasonal service have little effct on whether it will fire or not.

Again, I agree in your premise of trusting and take care of your stuff but, things still can happen. When they do it wastes valuable time.

Twin27Advantage
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I work on boats as well, If ever did it in front of one of my customers they would likely not come back. More of a perception thing I guess...the customer is kinda taught not to do it. I agree the 1 second fire does no harm, but me doing it, shows them it is ok and likey 1 second will become 2 or more, then they will want me to replace an impeller for free.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I understand.

Sea-Dated
04-23-2010, 09:37 AM

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

:cheers2:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Some of as are not as fortunate.:smash:

htrdlncn
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Me three..

ChiefApache
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Me three..

:iagree::iagree:
Us 4!!! :cheers2:

DollaBill
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
never had a problem. did it thousands of times to all kinds of boats. Impossible to cause a problem in 2-3 seconds

DollaBill
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM

600 hrs?? what are you running diesels? LOL

fixxxer22
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I replace the impeller and housing every year. I like to turn the engine over during the winter to get oil pressure and release some of the spring pressure on the springs that were depressed before i turned it over. sometime is starts. i dont just want to "bam!" shut her back down so ill let her run for a minute not caring if the impeller goes due to the fact that it will soon be replaced. every year i remove it and it looks like i could have easily ran it another season. still i replace it. If my boat sits for a week or so then i fire her up on the muffs at home and warm her up before she goes to the ramp. but if i was out saturday and i was going out again sunday i dont bother.

Big Time
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I have, but I don't do it everytime.

old377guy
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM

ditto

Twin27Advantage
04-23-2010, 04:28 PM
600 hrs?? what are you running diesels? LOL

These baby SB's....
585 hours...I was going to let them go one more season since they still have great compression and run great, but due to an unfortunate boob watching accident both motors were badly over heated :(. The one on the left is kinda a diesel since that is what it did for about 3 minutes...it was just a little hot :)

The left one just started to wipe out the mains along with a small crack in the head. The right one is still good but going to be freshened. They needed since the start up smoke was getting a little emarassing!