PDA

View Full Version : Bank wire transfer info

Magicfloat
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
My bank is closed today so I need SOS advice. If I give someone my wire transfer info for them to send me money ,if it is a scam,can they withdraw money from my account? I don't think it works both ways but I need SOS input.

Scarab KV
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
My bank is closed today so I need SOS advice. If I give someone my wire transfer info for them to send me money ,if it is a scam,can they withdraw money from my account? I don't think it works both ways but I need SOS input.

I think it can go both ways. You do have a time period that you can tell the bank to reverse it.

Chris
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't do any transfer to anyone I didn't know into an active account. If it's that urgent, one or the other can get a plane ticket. Otherwise it'll wait until tomorrow.

ALL scam artists operate on the same two human failings- good heartedness and greed.

Magicfloat
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
It's only $200 that they want to send me for a part.Seems legit,they sent hull # which checks out to boat sold in South Africa,all names check out. They want the part shipped to a Bham,Al address which checks out. They originally called the builder(Tige) to order the part,Tige referred them to me,the local dealer.May be legit,I'm just careful these days

sledge
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
It's possible, but it's not that easy. Make sure the info you give out is NOT the routing number off a check or deposit slip, but the bank-provided routing number for incoming wires. Do you have different accounts such that one doesn't keep much of a balance most of the time? That's the acct number to give out. Basically you use it to receive money only, and as soon as something hits, you move it to another acct.

I'm curious why the bank is closed? You have no way of verifying the wire.

sledge
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
For $200, do you know what your bank charges you for incoming wire fees? Add that to the total.

BUIZILLA
04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
I use Suntrust for incoming wires of unknown/first time buyers, then sweep it that day to my Mellon Bank account...

NO reason for any bank to be closed today

unless the Fed grabbed it :toetap05:

Boss460
04-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Make sure the info you give out is NOT the routing number off a check or deposit slip, but the bank-provided routing number for incoming wires.

Those numbers are usually one and the same. Never seen a bank that has 2 different ABA numbers.

Also, today is Queen Elizabeth's birthday according to my calendar. Do you bank with the Bank of England by any chance?

Magicfloat
04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Banks in Walker County,Alabama close at noon Wed,as most businesses here,including us. A tradition in small town Alabama for many years. But I do have the advantage of calling my banker at home. He just told me no big deal,it does not work both ways without my approval,so I'm OK. The power of SOS is swift. Thanks y'all.

Chris
04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Have them do it Western Union. Get the cash at your local grocery store.

Check from S. Africa? You're making a joke, right?

Scarab KV
04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Careful. Africa is a hub for fraud

Scarab KV
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Banks in Walker County,Alabama close at noon Wed,as most businesses here,including us. A tradition in small town Alabama for many years.

I'm familiar with that from run'n south. Great concept if you're not the guy with freight on his trailer.:D

sledge
04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Those numbers are usually one and the same. Never seen a bank that has 2 different ABA numbers

Banks can use tons of routing numbers. Different for checks, deposits, ACH, FedWires.

I guess there are still some banks/branches that have grandfathered special hours. :D

DonziGirl
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I set up a separate account just to be safe when I sold my boat but that was obviously for more than 200 and coming from the Bahamas.

Magicfloat
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Turned out to be legit. She called me this morning to let me know that international wire transfers use different routing,so she just gave me her cc# instead. Thanks for the advice