PDA

View Full Version : Crash Box?

chewiekw
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Can someone tell me what a crash box is? How does it compare to a gearbox? Thanks for your help and sorry for the rookie question....

Wahoo 214
04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
A crash box doesn't shift while the engine is running. You put it in gear and go.

chewiekw
04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
So a crash box does not shift while a gear box does? What were race boats in the 80's running?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Crash boxes have been around a long time. They are simple, light and dependable.

skaterdave
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
it's a in-and-out tranmission. no gear reduction change.

use the starter to bump the motor over and at the same time push the shifter in to foward, neutral or reverse. this obvious is done with the motors off. once in gear (forward,neutral, reverse) you start up the motor and go. to switch direction, you have to turn off the motor and switch

DAREDEVIL
04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
If u need some ?! PM me !!!!:cheers2:

Buoy
04-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Some would almost say I had one in my old boat with the B&W trans after I fused the clutch plates and still ran it until the end of the season, twice.
It was fun around the docks.:rolleyes:
I just beat the hell out of that boat...

shifter
04-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Crash boxes are gearboxes. Borg Warner/Huber/Bam transmissions are gearboxes.

Crash boxes use a dog clutch or a spline engagement. It is possible to engage while the engine is running (not recommended)

BW/H/B transmissions use a clutch pack to engage a planetary for Forward and Reverse.

Most crashboxes (Daytona/Kiekaffer/SCS) are on center input output , no ratio in forward but ratio in reverse.

Ours crashboxes run Gears to give a ratio, rotation change and also multiple ratios forward or reverse and sometimes offset. We use a clutch to make the crashbox into a transmission. pneumatic over hydraulic or just pneumatic.

pat W:sifone:

Buoy
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Crash boxes are gearboxes. Borg Warner/Huber/Bam transmissions are gearboxes.

Crash boxes use a dog clutch or a spline engagement. It is possible to engage while the engine is running (not recommended)

BW/H/B transmissions use a clutch pack to engage a planetary for Forward and Reverse.

Most crashboxes (Daytona/Kiekaffer/SCS) are on center input output , no ratio in forward but ratio in reverse.

Ours crashboxes run Gears to give a ratio, rotation change and also multiple ratios forward or reverse and sometimes offset. We use a clutch to make the crashbox into a transmission. pneumatic over hydraulic or just pneumatic.

pat W:sifone:

Showoff!!:)

Very nice stuff!!:sifone:

Damn I wish I could play with the big boys.
Great stuff!!

bluellama
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Can someone tell me what a cash bar is? How does it compare to a gearbox? Thanks for your help and sorry for the rookie question....

They are pretty much the same thing ........

Ducking and covering .... :cheers2:

Chris
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not even going to think I know a tenth of what Shifter knows, but this might give you a bit more clarity.

If you think in terms of an auto or truck anaolgy, the crash box is a manual transmission and the others are an automatic transmission. The manual has no clutch or synchronization. It operates on gears directly meshed together. The automatic has a clutch pack inside that relies on hydraulic pressure to force it closed to keep the engagement. The manual only stops working when the absolute maximum torque loads break the gears or cause fatigue to a point where they fail. On the other side, the automatic's engagement clutch will slip at some point. And each time it slips it creates friction that wears the clutch and raises the oil temp. The more it slips, the more it wears and the easier it is to slip. Pretty soon, your engagement is lost.

Jesse James
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
hey shifter what boat is the quad engine you have in your picture?...... sorry for the hi-jack

shifter
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
That boat is a twin vee not a cat. I wouldnt mind doing a quad engine boat again......almost did one this winter...

I wasn't trying to show off...... errrr ok I was...

Thanks for the compliments!

pat W:driving:

Chris
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
If you can do it, it's not showing off.