PDA

View Full Version : What's up with all the Video's from Jeff????

Eaton Photos
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I've noticed lately, that Jeff has been posting a ton of video's from his archives, here on the OTD thread. Seems like he is posting just a bit too much? Is there any reason, why the video's are not being moved to his dedicated galleries? I am aware Jeff, has been quite helpful in helping promote the website, but it doesn't make sense to me, to have the same post in 3 or 4 different threads on the board.

I do not have a dedicated gallery for my photos, but I limit what I post, to primarily the Offshore Boards, as that is what I have become more involved with. Just my opinion, but is it too much to ask of Jeff, to restrict posting his videos to his dedicated gallery, where he has dedicated space to post videos/ photos?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time, to read my question.

James

40FlatDeck
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree...

Chris
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I have been asking Jeff for months to put together some videos for us. In the dead of winter it's been nice seeing some of this great action.

Let me make some points- feel free to disagree if you like.

1. These videos aren't chep to produce or buy. It's expensive to fly to a race, rent a helicopter and video the event.

2. Youtube is one of the most popular sites on the web. Clearly people like to watch videos on the internet. For months before Jeff started posting, people would find videos and post them on the site. They were some of the most popular threads on the site. So popular that we had our programming altered so that videos could be embedded right in the threads.

3. The videos Jeff posts are very popular. Take a look at the number of views listed in each thread. People are apparently enjoying them.

4. We have a broad variety of people posting on the site. Many of the regulars are well known. Some you might like, some maybe not. Of the one's you know, if you see their name you can always choose to not enter the thread. You an also put anyone you like on "ignore" and not see them. All of Jeff's videos are clearly identified. If you on't want to view them, you don't have to. Just as you don't have to go into political threads or any others you don't choose. But just because you have no interest in them I see no reason to deprive those that do from watching them.

And to your point James, I guess I don't understand. For what reason do you limit what you post? Do you thing what you presently post is an imposition on our members and you're holding back? If you've got good pics that entertain people, why not post them? And for those that don't want to see good shots of cool boats in action, they'll see Eaton Photos and keep going. But I don't think we have many members that don't like boat pics.

It's just like the mall, guys. You don't have to go into all the stores just because they're there.

BOJOE2
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
ya but like 40 flat deck said jeff is bogarting and hijacking threads that are good threads.

scottw
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I have been asking Jeff for months to put together some videos for us. In the dead of winter it's been nice seeing some of this great action.

Let me make some points- feel free to disagree if you like.

1. These videos aren't chep to produce or buy. It's expensive to fly to a race, rent a helicopter and video the event.

2. Youtube is one of the most popular sites on the web. Clearly people like to watch videos on the internet. For months before Jeff started posting, people would find videos and post them on the site. They were some of the most popular threads on the site. So popular that we had our programming altered so that videos could be embedded right in the threads.

3. The videos Jeff posts are very popular. Take a look at the number of views listed in each thread. People are apparently enjoying them.

4. We have a broad variety of people posting on the site. Many of the regulars are well known. Some you might like, some maybe not. Of the one's you know, if you see their name you can always choose to not enter the thread. You an also put anyone you like on "ignore" and not see them. All of Jeff's videos are clearly identified. If you on't want to view them, you don't have to. Just as you don't have to go into political threads or any others you don't choose. But just because you have no interest in them I see no reason to deprive those that do from watching them.

And to your point James, I guess I don't understand. For what reason do you limit what you post? Do you thing what you presently post is an imposition on our members and you're holding back? If you've got good pics that entertain people, why not post them? And for those that don't want to see good shots of cool boats in action, they'll see Eaton Photos and keep going. But I don't think we have many members that don't like boat pics.

It's just like the mall, guys. You don't have to go into all the stores just because they're there.

:cheers2:

Slandrew
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I enjoy the videos!:cheers2:He also gave me a ton of videos in the keys a few years back VHS that I still have heavy suitcase:kiss:

MOBILEMERCMAN
ya but like 40 flat deck said jeff is bogarting and hijacking threads that are good threads..

example?

BOJOE2
Jeff also post oversized pics so your forced to scroll right and left when you get back to the thread. I though pics were only going to be 800 pixels wide. why cant he stick to the rules i have read here!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Jeff also post oversized pics so your forced to scroll right and left when you get back to the thread. I though pics were only going to be 800 pixels wide. why cant he stick to the rules i have read here!

Example?

Pix in the media section can be any size.

Chris
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes- posts are 800 wide EXCEPT in the media section. We allow them there as sometimes people want more than a little pic. All the photogs are very responsible in adhering to this. We assembled these guidelines based on their input. They agreed that over 800 blew the page out and lessened the experience. Please be sure if you've hit a thread by using the "new posts" button that you're not in a photog's section.

Remember people, we have a whole flock of moderators. They've made this site what it is. They're so all-over the site they hit issues before they'rte ever reported. But if you see something, there are 20 people that get that report e-mail and are on it.

Biggus
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
In the past you had to spend big $$$ to watch Jeff's Freeze Frame vids. I really appreciate him posting them up here for free!!!!:sifone:

Thanks Jeff! :cheers2:

Kurt

Chris
04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
ya but like 40 flat deck said jeff is bogarting and hijacking threads that are good threads.

Do you mean to say that Jeff is posting a video in the middle of a particular thread about something different? If you could show an example it would help.

Jeff is an asset to the site, as are all of the photographers. We're all thankful they're here and posting their action. And they're all businessmen. The quid pro quo is they get to ecpose theit products to potential customers. I don't want to speak for any of them, but I'm certain they don't wish to alienate any of their customers with their activities here.

NNRT
04-12-2010, 08:07 PM
its just another form of advertising - if every boat yard, or dealer started to post photos of they boats for sale would that be acceptable? I think there is a media section - but maybe I am wrong. Maybe the mods should open a "classic video " link - then everyone will be happy - and those that want to see that can view it -
I dont blame Jeff - he is just doing advertising to keep his product infront of clients - I probably would do the same if I was still in business.

Chris
04-12-2010, 08:14 PM
its just another form of advertising - if every boat yard, or dealer started to post photos of they boats for sale would that be acceptable? .

If a large portion of the membership found that entertaining, we would certainly accommodate it.

We're here to bring interesting things to the members of the site. Themembers tell us pretty clearly what they like and don't like. And when you see high numbers on the thread visit counter we assume people like them. I would never want to discourage any sort of feedback from anyone on any topic. If we can make the site a better place, we will.

This is something we talk about in regards to site moderation all the time. Not everything needs to be addressed. If it's disinteresting, it'll be off the front page in a very brief while. The only way to stay on the front page is if people add to the thread.

Indy
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I personally don't have an issue with the videos though it does seem to be a bit much. I don't look at that many of them but once in a while I check one out. My only concern would be that if this opportunity is given to an advertiser then the same should be given to all advertisers. Not sure I'd love to see entry after entry from say Eddie Marine for example (not even sure if they advertise here, just sayin) or any other product distributer or manufacturer.

stainless
04-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I think the vids are great! Brings back some great old school footage. Like Chris said if you don't like em you can choose not to watch em. Some of these vids are priceless, and if Jeff didn't post them , there's a whole generation that would never see this stuff!
Nothing wrong with stirring up some interest to get things moving.

xlr8by
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
In the past you had to spend big $$$ to watch Jeff's Freeze Frame vids. I really appreciate him posting them up here for free!!!!:sifone:

Kurt

+1 and they have helped me get through the winter!

getchasum111
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
hell....thanks Jeff...i sure do appreciate you taking the time to post them

Chris
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I personally don't have an issue with the videos though it does seem to be a bit much. I don't look at that many of them but once in a while I check one out. My only concern would be that if this opportunity is given to an advertiser then the same should be given to all advertisers. Not sure I'd love to see entry after entry from say Eddie Marine for example (not even sure if they advertise here, just sayin) or any other product distributer or manufacturer.

The opportunity is equally open to all of the recognized photographers. There's a difference between their product and like in your example Eddie Marine. This is their product. They're giving it away. When you see a photo in Powerboat from Jeff or Tim or Jay, Powerboat paid them for that. These guys put their product here for your enjoyment at no cost to us.

Nothing is free. None of these guys is doing this solely because they like renting helicopters to photograph boats. It costs big bucks. The tradeoff is like this- you get pictures to enjoy, they get exposure to potential customers, we get happy members.

bill63
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Keep them coming Jeff , btw jeff is one of the nicest guys around.

TxHawk
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I dont watch all of them but I really like having the option to. If I had something personal against FF or was in direct competition I might see where some of you are coming from. But since I dont, I cannot imagine complaining about aerial video of what we love.

SC288
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Keep the videos coming! :driving:

Jeff Helmkamp
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I like the videos and the size of the photos...keep them coming Jeff!!!

Bgchuby01
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
James to me it seems like Jeff has the real neat old time photo's and video's from years back. Lets all enjoy. Maybe someday down the line you will have some video's to post. Is there some sort of jelosy here?

Bgchuby01
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea I can not spell

DAREDEVIL
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Kurt

:iagree:

Usually everybody complains about NO videos or pics,,,now Jeff gives them to us for free and people still complain....I DON'T GET IT !!!!!!

THANKS JEFF & SOS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers2:

LIVE WIRE
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
:confused::confused::confused:Are we really having this conversation. Isnt it optional to watch them ?

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to post the video's ...Keep them coming

Indy
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
The opportunity is equally open to all of the recognized photographers. There's a difference between their product and like in your example Eddie Marine. This is their product. They're giving it away. When you see a photo in Powerboat from Jeff or Tim or Jay, Powerboat paid them for that. These guys put their product here for your enjoyment at no cost to us.

Nothing is free. None of these guys is doing this solely because they like renting helicopters to photograph boats. It costs big bucks. The tradeoff is like this- you get pictures to enjoy, they get exposure to potential customers, we get happy members.

Ok fair enough, however if Sharkey, Jay, Eaton, et al. promoted as much as FFV then this site would get a bit clogged right? Again what's fair is fair but I think the site might need some moderation at that point. Not sure I'd like to see a page where most of it was promotions from our photogs.

htrdlncn
04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I dont see the problem,, the videos are hosted on youtube so they take
no space or resources away from SOS ..

I say keep em coming,love the old stuff!

elvisali
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
I say keep em coming

Whoz Your Daddy
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
:confused::confused::confused:Are we really having this conversation. Isnt it optional to watch them ?

:iagree:

Lubejobs42
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
If there is a thread I am not interested in, i simply don't click on it. Why is this such an issue.

PARADOX
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
This is a thread I am not interested in. To be moved to that bar and barried.

BTW.. nice numbers Gino.

stainless
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Ok fair enough, however if Sharkey, Jay, Eaton, et al. promoted as much as FFV then this site would get a bit clogged right? Again what's fair is fair but I think the site might need some moderation at that point. Not sure I'd like to see a page where most of it was promotions from our photogs.

While I enjoy stills from all the photogs, I don't think anyone has a video library like Jeff . Keep em coming Jeff! :cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Davidmnc
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Davidmnc
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
WOW. For a minute I thought I had inadvertently logged on to the wrong site. :huh:

Coolerman
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I have nothing against watching snipets of videos FF Jeff! And if there is a thread I don't like, I don't look at it.

Chris
04-12-2010, 11:12 PM

In that same respect, is Powerboat a better magazine at 66 pages instead of the 140 it used to be? It's no longer all clogged up with pics and articles.

And I look at the pages all the time- I don't know that I ever see more than one or two. And if there's that many, doesn't that mean people are looking and posting, keeping them up front?

phragle
04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I have met Jeff several times and he is a great guy. He has donated a lot of merchandise to Serious for us to give to not only members but the general public. I have personally handed out videos and tote bags at races that he has donated. What he does is of benefit and promotes the sport. I have shown many people who are not powerboaters his piks and videos. True sometimes when using the new posts function you get several of his posts at times, but it is not combersom. The only real downside I see is that posting in places other than his area of the media section, it would be more difficult for new members or old members to go to one place to find/see his videos and piks. Post on Jeff, post on!

Chris
04-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks- I neglected to mention...

Thanks to Jeff, virtually every prize package we send out contains a Freeze Frame DVD. All donated by Jeff. I have probably a couple hundred thank-you PM's from recipients.

And Jeff has never asked me for anything.

Davidmnc
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
IMHO this thread was started to stir a pot that only exists in a few people minds and to generate controversy. All of which is unnecessary here. I am sure the goal was to see how much arguing it would cause, and how long it would take to close the thread. SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN! It is not needed or productive.

Bgchuby01
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
James would you like some cheese with that wine?

Chris
04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I think any valid, respectful conversation should be entertained. We need it to learn how we can better run the site and jeff needs it to determine how his efforts are received.

If it goes downward or the same things are pointlessly repeated, we can cork it.

As I've said before, it's not my place to tell people what they should care about.

Eaton Photos
04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Everyone,

I do not have a problem with Jeff or his videos, as I also enjoy seeing the old school racing. This thread has nothing to do with, whatever is going on behind scenes. I stay out of politics & drama, at all cost'. I just shoot, and keep my opinions to myself. Below is my response to Chris' earlier questions.

Chris, I am aware it cost' money to rent the Helo's. Nothing is free in life, unless you grow up with everything fed to you on diamond studded gold spoons. :)

Again, you have a point. I do not disagree, that promoting the videos is a bad thing. Its great to see old videos. What I disagree with is the non-stop posting of videos in multiple threads. When you click New Post', and see half a page of videos in 3/4 different sections with the same videos, then I consider that spamming. Just my opinion.

As I just stated, I do not understand why Jeff feels the need to post the same video in different sections of the same board. I do limit what I post, b/c I only post, what I consider are my best photos. I do shoot a ton (avg 3000 photos a day) when shooting either boating or aviation, but I do not feel, that I need to bombard the threads with dozens of photos shot from the same angle or have my watermark to be so aggressive, as to take away from the photos I am sharing. I do not have the history with Offshore boating, that many on this board have. I did grow up around boating though. Either way that matters not. I shoot b/c I love shooting, and I enjoy sharing my experience/ perspective with others.

I did not start this thread, to start a pissing match about Jeff's videos. I was just curious, why he double/ triple/ quadruple post them in multiple threads.

Just a side note, and not being greedy or anything of such nature; If I was offered the same opportunity as the other photographers of having my own gallery, to post my images in then, I would probably post more than what I presently do.

Davidmnc, I DID NOT start this thread to stir a pot. Don't assume things about me, or Judge me based on a thread I started. I'm quite reasonable, and do not judge people based on what they write.

Hope this helps clarify, the reason for why I started this thread.

James

DAREDEVIL
04-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks- I neglected to mention...

Thanks to Jeff, virtually every prize package we send out contains a Freeze Frame DVD. All donated by Jeff. I have probably a couple hundred thank-you PM's from recipients.

And Jeff has never asked me for anything.

Chris.....WHERE IS MINE ?????????????:sifone:

phragle
04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
If I was offered the same opportunity as the other photographers of having my own gallery, to post my images in then, I would probably post more than what I presently do

That can and should be arranged.

boatme
04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
If I want to go back and look at videos, would it not be a better thing to go to one thread ?
How about a thread that is titled "Freeze Frame once a day video" then every day Jeff posts a new video and that way if we want to find a posted video we can go to one place and i for one would love one thread so i can watch videos for an hour in one spot instead of searching all over for individual clips

I vote for a "Freeze Frame Video of the day" Thread
A single thread in one section, why is this not a good idea ??

Davidmnc
04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Just a side note, and not being greedy or anything of such nature; If I was offered the same opportunity as the other photographers of having my own gallery, to post my images in then, I would probably post more than what I presently do.

I think it is a great idea to give you your own thread. Why didn't you just ask? :huh:

Davidmnc, I DID NOT start this thread to stir a pot. Don't assume things about me, or Judge me based on a thread I started. I'm quite reasonable, and do not judge people based on what they write.

I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. There just seems to be quite a bit of resentment among our photogs the last week or so. I for one truly appreciate every thing you guys contribute to the site.

David

Chris
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
The issues of photographer relationships is now being handled by me.

James- if you want to discuss being more active here, the door is always open. But a better way of doing it is direct contact, not starting a thread criticizing one of your peers.

You know where to find me,

Wahoo 214
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
For those that have not met James, he is a first rate guy. His photos are among best I have seen and is very professional. He is also a contributor to SupercatRacing.com which is perhaps the most important Offshore Racing site on the web. He also makes a very valid point in this thread.

skaterdave
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
or you could give free stuff to serious, so the can give it away???

don't see how it works?

this issue has been raised before by others, both here and on other sites. theres an area for these "businesses" to post. why not enforce your common sense rules and this wouldn't be an issue?

Indy
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
And I look at the pages all the time- I don't know that I ever see more than one or two. And if there's that many, doesn't that mean people are looking and posting, keeping them up front?

Chris my point is that if they all did it then the SOS general discussion forum would become a promotion tool for their medium and the format would suffer as a result. Don't the photogs have an area where they all can post their wares?

I have no dog in this fight, I like looking at vids from time to time, pics too. I just don't see how if all the photogs brought their promotions to the general discussion area like FFV does that it would benefit the general discussion forum only.

Frequency
04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I was trying to keep track of all the FMO Sanibel pics and vids and it seemed like Jeff had two or three threads in the main forum. It would have been easier to follow if they were all in one thread.

Keep the pics and videos coming! :cheers2:

Chris
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
These are all suggestions that will be put to use both by the mods for how we manage things and I'm certain by Jeff. No doubt he wants to present his work in the most friendly and accessible way.

DriverofDonzi
04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
For those that have not met James, he is a first rate guy. His photos are among best I have seen and is very professional. He is also a contributor to SupercatRacing.com which is perhaps the most important Offshore Racing site on the web. He also makes a very valid point in this thread.

:iagree: completely. I dont know James until I met him last summer. He is a cool guy to hang out with. He did a great job in all he does with boat racing!

Chris

F1-00 Racing
04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Chris,

I am sure you have things under control, but maybe a compromise would be that with Jeff being a contributor to SOS you put a sticky in "On the Dock" and "General Racing" letting Jeff announce that he will be uploading videos in the designated FF area. As much as we all (including James) enjoy the videos, it does get old seeing the same video in 3 to 4 different sections. Also this allows Jeff to only post once, saving him time which he can utilize doing other aspects of his business.

James has some valid points and I see no jealousy or animosity towards Jeff in any way. I guess in Lehman's terms hes asking since it is good for the goose, we should assume it is good for the gander?

Trent

ApachePete
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Jeff's videos are the best thing on this site.

Don't watch them if you don't care to.

Supercat Racing
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
As I am Jeff's webmaster I can tell you all, he is starving. As wth everyone else in the marine industry, sales are way down. Jeff is certainly reacting to slumping sales and is doing his best to try and offset his losses. If we want the photogs to continue to exist, we need to be as patient as possible with multiple posts. I did just add a feature to his website that now allows him to post tons of Youtube videos to his own website. He then can make selections from his own database as to what he wants displayed here. Support him the same way he has given to all of us.

Marty

Matt Trulio
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I guess I see things a little more simply: If you don't like a thread, don't open it.

Sort of the same reason I have a delete button for email.

boatme
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I like the videos just put em in one place were we can find them for me it is just that they are scattered all over the place Be great if they were in one thread

Pat D
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Support him the same way he has given to all of us.
Marty

Knowing Jeff and his generosity and love of the sport, I think that is all he would ask.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the videos just put em in one place were we can find them for me it is just that they are scattered all over the place Be great if they were in one thread

We all post and search differently. I personally use the New Posts button the most. Some only view general discussion while others read through the various sections. It is all good.

Part of the reason things get posted in more than one section is it is obvious the general discussion draws the most attention. It is clear when tracking views. So in effort to do both get seen and group them together they get posted more than once.

boatme
04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I use the new post button as well

If jeff posted a new video on a FREEZE FRAME thread it would show up on the new post

I still think it is the best way to find them and view them

Just my opinion

I have posted a bunch of stuff as well and each time i start a new thread I do not have enouff to warrent my own section but it would make even mine easier for me to find LOL :)

Chris
04-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I was on OSO for years and never once hit the new posts button. When we came here, someone asked why we didn't have one. I asked "why would you want one?". We put it up and one day I tried it. Never looked back. It's the first thing I hit.

I now wonder how I missed it all those years.

Davidmnc
04-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I was on OSO for years and never once hit the new posts button. When we came here, someone asked why we didn't have one. I asked "why would you want one?". We put it up and one day I tried it. Never looked back. It's the first thing I hit.

:iagree: Yep the new posts button is the chinizel! (Can I say that?:huh:)

DAREDEVIL
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM

Where is this..NEW POST BUTTON , i don't have that on my keyboard...mmmmhh :confused:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
its there. Look near the top of the screen. there is a bar going across the screen with words in it. On the far left it says User CP, membership upgrades....then new posts near center, far right is log out.

Davidmnc
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Where is this..NEW POST BUTTON , i don't have that on my keyboard...mmmmhh :confused:

It's on the your computer screen, not your keyboad. It is under the header and above the sponsor banner between the "chat" and "search" icons.

imco offshore
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
lolololol

Chris
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
It's next to the "any" key.

imco offshore
04-14-2010, 07:48 AM
you guys are killing me this morning.lololo

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
It's on the your computer screen, not your keyboad.

I didn't catch that. LOL

DriverofDonzi
04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
As for Jeff's work. I just love his work and genousity with Boat racing.

Chris

VtSteve
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I just want to say this. For all of the boat sites I visit, The professional photographers for the performance sites are fantastic :cheers2: I know full well when there's a video.

Sure, I know probably why this was brought up, and it was handled well by Chris.

Just wanted you to know that almost all of us really love the pictures and vids. And yes, they do draw attention to the commercial value of all the great videographers and photographers here. Thanks, and keep them comin'.

phragle
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Edit: Chris beat me to the Any key line... I really need to work on my program... Im slipping.

Indian Outlaw
04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank's Jeff!

Expensive Date
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I, as I am sure all of you, love watching these videos. The older stuff are my favorites, but in order to condense them, I have moved them to the Freezeframe section. Jeff may continue posting them on The Dock, but we would ask that they all be posted on one thread, and each video a separate post. I hope that everyone continues to support all photographers, as we all enjoy viewing their work.