PDA

View Full Version : ALL NEW SKATER 40LS Hard Top!!!!!!!!!!!

blume
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
:cheers2: Here's some SPY pics of the all new Skater 40LS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :driving:

blume
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
:cheers2: Here's some SPY pics of the all new Skater 40LS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :driving:

:driving: Here's a few more............................ :driving:

FastDonzi
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Sooooo, If you flip are you stuck inside? or does the top break off out of the way? Just wondrin......

Oh, okay now that I enlarged the pics I see the escape hatch....

SKATIN
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
that's freakin amazing awesome boat!

MANITIE
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I notice over the last 3 - 4 years of pleasure boats coming out fully enclosed but not to the specs of race boats and with most of the P/B running bigger HP then most race boats....what would happen if they went over...not to be negitive to these boats and there style....but just the safety aspect

Its a sweet looking boat...

JupiterSunsation
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
nice interior but the exterior paint is a little plain....

DaveP
04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
And if it rolls over and is upside down in shallow water everyone inside is dead.

Sorry but an enclosed cat in a pleasure boat environment is absolute stupidity!

ILMORdude
04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
That is f'in sweet!! I wish more people would buy our stuff for skaters. Pete and crew are top notch. I actually like the simple exterior........ Congrats Everyone!!

blume
04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
And if it rolls over and is upside down in shallow water everyone inside is dead.

Sorry but an enclosed cat in a pleasure boat environment is absolute stupidity!

Dave,

If you enlarge the picture you will see it has a rear escape window on the back of the hard top. :driving:

Elite Marine
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Nice boat, but why does anyone want an enclosed boat? I understand racing and safety, but pleasure?

fobes
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Awesome.

DollaBill
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Looks good but I wouldnt want an enclosed pleasure boat. Most guys that have owned them have sold them after one (or less) season. Too noisy, too little room to party etc. Not practical. But might make a cool race boat

JupiterSunsation
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Dave,

If you enlarge the picture you will see it has a rear escape window on the back of the hard top. :driving:

You're joking right? Most guys I have seen running big cats maybe could get a pair of arms/legs through that gun slit!

Offshore Ginger
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Sorry but an enclosed cat in a pleasure boat environment is absolute stupidity! God why would you look that much into something like this considering peter most likely thought everything out before it was ever built and if you are running in that shallow of water maybe you should not be there and where does stupidity begin ..............with the driver or..........

plumbers crack
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
wow awesome boat, great detail!!! Dave tell us how you really feel:eek::eek::eek:

masher44
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
stunning! Where is it headed?

Thanks you for a boating thread instead of all the political barf in the bar

blume
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
stunning! Where is it headed?

Thanks you for a boating thread instead of all the political barf in the bar

:driving:Desert Storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

DaveP
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Guys - the boat is beautiful, no doubt.

Canopied boats are for racing - period.

If that boat went over and 4 or 5 panic stricken people had to get their asses out of that little hatch in shallow water or not, it will be a coffin.

Look at when a canopied race boat goes over and not all of the time do the 2 racers get out of the boat without assistance from the divers above.

RACESDAD
04-07-2010, 08:21 PM
that is sick. great job everyone at Skater

Matt Trulio
04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
A little more detail, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/03/skater-hardtop-nears-completion/.

03darkshadow
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
it looks sweet, kinda like a skater el camino. :rofl:

j/k its a bad ass boat. I imagine it runs the same as a non enclosed 40?

Tom A.
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
First off I want to say the boat looks sweet and Skater is one of the best out there, however I agree with Dave P.
Boating where we do in avg 3-8 feet of water in Barnegat Bay or even in the bays of Florida, no way could 5 or six get out in a a flip. Of course at cat speeds if you flip a canopy like that, it will probably be splinters anyway. As also already mentioned, I personally know a few people who owned canopy pleasure boats who were not happy with them and sold them after a season or two.

B.Z.
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
No thanx don't like it...just me

detail toyz
04-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice.

gatorone
04-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Guys - the boat is beautiful, no doubt.

Canopied boats are for racing - period.

If that boat went over and 4 or 5 panic stricken people had to get their asses out of that little hatch in shallow water or not, it will be a coffin.

Look at when a canopied race boat goes over and not all of the time do the 2 racers get out of the boat without assistance from the divers above.

So, what would you recomend to someone who has skin cancer and wants to enjoy performance boating..People are to fast to judge on these sites

skaterdave
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
First off I want to say the boat looks sweet and Skater is one of the best out there, however I agree with Dave P.
Boating where we do in avg 3-8 feet of water in Barnegat Bay or even in the bays of Florida, no way could 5 or six get out in a a flip. Of course at cat speeds if you flip a canopy like that, it will probably be splinters anyway. As also already mentioned, I personally know a few people who owned canopy pleasure boats who were not happy with them and sold them after a season or two.

you cares about the canopy, we got people winnig lawsuits for swimming into props. like the closed canopy or not would make a difference?

blume
04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
It's just another model of the Skater 40', it's the NEW LS........here's some of the other 40' models.

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40lp.html
40' Classic Low Profile

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40crp.html
40' Classic Race Pleasure

http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/skater40ssrp.html
40SS or Super Sport

and there is a 412 which is a 40' thats widen 12".

blume
04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
So, what would you recomend to someone who has skin cancer and wants to enjoy performance boating..People are to fast to judge on these sites

And it has A/C in the cockpit.................:cheers2:

Bgchuby01
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
New owner of the boat lives and boats in Discovery Bay which is part of the Sacromento Delta. He has about a 75 mile ride and he is in San Francisco bay. His current boat is a 36 Daytona coupe. He loves his fiberglass roof. Mr Collegewood is first class all the way. Besides havasu it will be in the big cat poker run.

DaveP
04-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Bill - I'm not judging I am stating a fact.

That boat goes over with 2-3-4-5 people inside, more than likey they will die. There are no helos flying above pleasure boaters in canopies to help get them out.

And I know of a few pleasure performance guys that have had skin cancer and they cover up and use spf50 when they go boating.

Jassman
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
God why would you look that much into something like this considering peter most likely thought everything out before it was ever built and if you are running in that shallow of water maybe you should not be there and where does stupidity begin ..............with the driver or..........

Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... My opinion like posted on OSO.. I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.

blume
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... My opinion like posted on OSO.. I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.

Jass,

They make 4 other 40' Skaters..................:driving:
40' Classic low profile
40' Classic race pleasure
40SS or 40 Super sport
and the 412 :cheers2:

Twin27Advantage
04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Bad Ass Boat!

Besides staying out of the sun...It can also extend your boating season and allow you to boat when it is raining. There are several times I would love to run the boat to a restaurant on a cool rainy summer day, much better then sitting around the house.

Unlike a normal canapy boat, you can pop the top for when you raft up. So I don't see that as being an issue. Also a smart guy who wants to party on a canopy boat could just have some collapsable chairs with rubber pads and replace the material to match the graphics of the boat. They could also have a fold out table that locks in the deck with a umbrella. Then you could party in style rather than standing in the cockpit leaning against the bolsters or sitting in the buckets

I don't really see noise being an issue..with all the wood work and interior it likely dampens the noise a bit. They may have used some noise dampening material like dynamat.

Safety...sure it might be a problem. But how many open pleasure cats have flipped during poker runs? How many of the occupants survived? I think that anyone who flips in a open boat at speeds above 100 are in some major trouble anyway. Some wear the inflatable life jacket and others wear the poker run lifelines. Neither will keep you floating face up if you are knocked out. Odds of a responsible captain crashing are far less than anyone of us driving down the road and landing upside down in 4' + water in our vehicles. How many actually cary a prick punch to bust a window in that situation?

The safety debate will go on forever seeing that everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion.

cosmic12
04-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Cause.. like everyone Dave is entitled to his opinion... I like Skaters but this boat does absoloutly nothing for me in all aspects.

:iagree: It is beautiful to look at and I can see the craftsmenship in it and all the detail, very nicely done.
With that said, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone wants a roof in the first place:confused: but then again I have no need or desire to be running at the speeds where you need that protection so I guess if you can aford it and have that need for speed.....so be it.:)

MANITIE
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
One of the things that caught my eye that made me question safety besides the lid, was over the last 3 or so years I have not seen a crew in a overturned cat come out of the canopy lid....they have got out by the escape hatch in the floor...I think that is one of the reasons crew's have been less at risk in a extraction.

To each his own....

ILMORdude
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Different strokes for different folks...............he told Skater what he wanted and they did a great job. Why is there so much debate about it? Its HIS BOAT. Cant deny the craftsmanship either and thats what this thread is highlighting. Skaters new model

Jesse James
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM

well put..... i had the pleasure of lunch with Gary and Peter in late december while gary was in town choosing some options (color/style of wood grain) first class all the way..... if you get the chance you need to hear the story of gary's bar at his home.... or shall i say bars....lol

what power is in the boat?

I really like the teak and holly flooring is it a veneer or a traditional teak and holly?

Jesse James
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
are the compartments on top of the engine hatches a fender/line storage area?... if so nicely done.... noticed some cigarette inspiration on the hatch lift hardware....

blume
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
well put..... i had the pleasure of lunch with Gary and Peter in late december while gary was in town choosing some options (color/style of wood grain) first class all the way..... if you get the chance you need to hear the story of gary's bar at his home.... or shall i say bars....lol

what power is in the boat?

I really like the teak and holly flooring is it a veneer or a traditional teak and holly?

1200hp Teague's, IDK about the flooring.....

Jassman
04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Jass,

They make 4 other 40' Skaters..................:driving:
40' Classic low profile
40' Classic race pleasure
40SS or 40 Super sport
and the 412 :cheers2:

Blume.. just cause it says Skater on the side...doesnt make me like it any more. Are they great boats, yes by all means...and actually my favorite Skater is still the 40 one off.. blue and silver one that tapers down to a bustle like the MTI's. I still love that one..and considered it at one time...but you'll hear off the record that the true die hard Skater guys hate it..cause it resembles a MTI..What I like does not mean everyone will follow. This boat just doesn't do it for me. Who'm ever built it, I still congrats them for building what they envisioned, and I wish them all the best luck in the world..and enjoy their ride... As to the canopy, that's another thread all by itself.. I agree with Dave on this on a pleasure version only. Have a great day, and thanks for posting the pic's. Jeff

Knot 4 Me
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
nice interior but the exterior paint is a little plain....Sometimes less is more.

Awsome ride.

Hilltop Kyle
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
It's a sweet boat!

Canopies are not for everyone...obviously! That's why they are "Custom" boats, you can get whatever you like. I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm just observing. I do notice a lot of closed canopy OL's at poker runs that are stictly pleasure boats. I have no doubt that Peter kept saftey in mind during the design of this boat.

"Coupe" style cruisers are becoming the norm, people like the air conditioning and comfort of a closed cockpit design. No surprise it's carrying over to the performance boat market. As mentioned before, it will certainly extend the boating season!

Pete B
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The gentleman that ordered and PAID for it, is the one that needs to be satisfied with the product! If it is his first boat, he should use good judgement in its use, as for the safety factor any accident over 100 mph will probably not have good results.

Wish I could afford one!

DollaBill
04-08-2010, 12:25 PM
If memory serves me correctly, his last boat was a little eh hemm, "differen't"

DollaBill
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
wait! is that a teak an holley sole floor????!! that looks way out of place

40FlatDeck
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Boy, you guys are a buzz kill.

He is an older gentlemen and has been boating all his life. Every boat he has are enclosed in some way. He is not out there to run in the first group, he is out there to run at a fast cruise and be 100% comfortable.

Geeze, if you don't like it, thats fine, just don't go on a rant about safety, ****ty paint, looks dangerous, looks like an MTI........

Maybe we should start a thread about Alberts new 48. That Terminator theme is the best......:rolleyes:

CDOWNS
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM

He is an older gentlemen and has been boating all his life. Every boat he has are enclosed in some way. He is not out there to run in the first group, he is out there to run at a fast cruise and be 100% comfortable.

Geeze, if you don't like it, thats fine, just don't go on a rant about safety, ****ty paint, looks dangerous, looks like an MTI........

Maybe we should start a thread about Alberts new 48. That Terminator theme is the best......:rolleyes:

Maybe you should'nt:leaving: Nobody said that thing looks like an MTI

Offshore Ginger
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Maybe we should start a thread about Alberts new 48. That Terminator theme is the best......:rolleyes::bump::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::willy_nilly:

BraceYourself
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I would say the boat is a unique design and also took a lot of thought and work to create.

As far as safety... Who gives a ****, if you think its unsafe don't ride in it. These are toys for the owners and if he chooses a risk that some see in the design then that's his choice. I have no problem with closed canopys. Everything has risks.

Should it have stickers on it saying you will die if this boat flips over. No, and in reality if it did flip over it looks like the top would break apart and allow people to push the canopy out of there way.

Chris
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Maybe some of you missed it, but this is a discussion forum. People are going to make comments. Some brilliant, some asinine. Most somewhere in between.

If you don't like being subjected to the unvarnished opinions of others, the internet is probably not a place for you.

People are free to make their own choices. If they make a choice and it results in their injury or death, so be it. But, I have a few concerns. First, most "guests" assume the person that owns/operates the boat is looking out for their best interests. In many cases that's simply not true. People unknowingly being put in jeopardy is not a good thing. Second, when something bad happens it often affects others. You may have noticed where Brunswick was just hit with $3+ million judgment because a skiier was injured by a prop on a power package they manufactured. If everyone hit by a prop gets $3Mil, we're all in trouble. Plus, for all the rest of you who lament the fact that insurance on these boats is impossible to get now, do you think it's going to get any better if we lose a few more boaters? Lastly, I watched a very expensive turbine-powered cat barrel roll in Key West harbor just a couple months ago- at what one would consider low speed. I would have never thought it possible. So I wonder just how well any of us- including the buyer of this new boat- really understand the possibilities and the risks.

RACESDAD
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
the owner has been running boats for a very long time. he even raced. if he likes it, so be it. i think the classic sidelines of the boat are cool. the woodgrain, very cool. if it was mine i would have had the whole boat done in wood grain. LOL. yes i would, because no one else has done it.
cool boat collegewood and skater

Bad Idea Baja
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
At least someone is spending money on toys. They might not be the most attractive toys to some of us, but he is the guy who stroked the check.

Is is just me or does this thing look like the inside of a Cobalt?
I do dig the old school wooden cup holders for the backseat passengers. I wonder it those came out of the Overton's catalog?

Tank
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
If you guys saw his last few boats you would not be suprised by this Skater. Remember, Skater builds custom boats for it's buyers (fairly obvious here).

This Skater is right on par with the last 3-4 canopied boats I've seen that Mr. College owned, especially his Eliminator and 40 Advantage.

Congrats to him and Skater on a great new completed, bought and paid for project....Now comes the time to enjoy it.:cheers2:

nortech4play
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
It's all about personal preferences when it comes to what people like and dislike about a certain boat style, paint or manufacturer.

First I'd like to congratulate the new owner on his new ride and hope he has a lot of fun with it.:cheers2: Skater builds a fantastic boat and I'm sure he won't be disappointed.

Is it one I'd buy, probably not and tend to agree with some here on the canopies. But I can see the obvious reason's some people like to have a roof over their head it's just not something I would enjoy but then again I'm not the one putting up the green.

Matt Trulio
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
wait! is that a teak an holley sole floor????!! that looks way out of place

Correct on the sole material, Bill.

DollaBill
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
sorry i was repetitive. I was typing fast.

Steve2
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
he told Skater what he wanted and they did a great job. Why is there so much debate about it? Its HIS BOAT.
:iagree:

Offshore Ginger
04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
:iagree::iagree: Let's face it guys the man has a new boat and they (skater) built it his way and with that in mind why so much controversy over another mans boat and a new one at that ! Hey guys the bottom line is you all sound like a bunch of bickering hens at this point and congratulations to the new owner and ENJOY...........:hurray::hurray::hurray::party::seeya:

TCEd
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Very nice boat.
Regarding all forms of canopy boats ....
What is the visability to the operators rear quarters and direct rear ?
I know as a operator I'm continually scanning the water to insure I'm not closing on another boat or on a collision course regardless of right of way and also want to know if I'm being overtaken.
ed

MetalBrosRacing
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
For the folks in the MidWest, back East, NorthEast and Bay area it would be a great idea for a lid, extends the usable season does it not?

PM203
04-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I like this boat alot because it so different. I think the wood is cool and the overall cockpit high end looking, kinda like a yacht. The outside is great looking and the paint nice as well. As far as the rest of the boat? It is a tried and proven Skater,not some new hull design that will need teaking for the next several years to make it right. I congratulate the owner for building something different.

JupiterSunsation
04-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I like this boat alot because it so different. I think the wood is cool and the overall cockpit high end looking, kinda like a yacht. The outside is great looking and the paint nice as well. As far as the rest of the boat? It is a tried and proven Skater,not some new hull design that will need teaking for the next several years to make it right. I congratulate the owner for building something different.

+1.......except the exterior paint is a little too plain. I love the wood floors. Nortech did a 50V with it last year that looked cool also.

stainless
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it looks awesome! Passengers who ride in this boat need to be trained in emergency escape procedures. I can't tell the dimensions of the rear window/escape hatch from the photos, but it looks a lot bigger than the escape hatch on my last race boat. If trained properly, I think people would survive a roll over and be able to get out, even in shallow water. Come on guys, pete's no dummy. I'm sure that hard top is plenty beefy and strong. A complete blow over with the boat landing upside down and entering with that back window first wouldn't be good, but in the same scenario with an open boat the passengers wouldn't do so well either.

Sunsation96
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Congrats to Skater nice to see some boats rolling out the doors! I like the look of the inside IMO pretty cool!

blume
04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I think it looks awesome! Passengers who ride in this boat need to be trained in emergency escape procedures. I can't tell the dimensions of the rear window/escape hatch from the photos, but it looks a lot bigger than the escape hatch on my last race boat. If trained properly, I think people would survive a roll over and be able to get out, even in shallow water. Come on guys, pete's no dummy. I'm sure that hard top is plenty beefy and strong. A complete blow over with the boat landing upside down and entering with that back window first wouldn't be good, but in the same scenario with an open boat the passengers wouldn't do so well either.

:driving:This is probably the best picture to show the actual size of the rear window.:bump:

wstultz
04-09-2010, 05:43 PM
That boat is incredible

Offshore Ginger
04-09-2010, 06:17 PM
:iagree:
That boat is incredible:iagree:

damdonzi
04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Love it.

richanton
04-10-2010, 09:44 PM
It's definitely different so that makes it cool.

Not my personal taste, but then again it's not my boat.

blume
04-10-2010, 10:11 PM
:driving:This boat got to it's new home today at !2:00 noon in Discovery Bay CA. It was meet there by the new owner, a Skater Tech and Bob Teague himself. They ran the boat today on it's first maiden voyage for several hours and all systems worked flawlessly and the new owner is ecstatic and can't wait for Desert Storm................................:cheers2:

detail toyz
04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
:driving:This boat got to it's new home today at !2:00 noon in Discovery Bay CA. It was meet there by the new owner, a Skater Tech and Bob Teague himself. They ran the boat today on it's first maiden voyage for several hours and all systems worked flawlessly and the new owner is ecstatic and can't wait for Desert Storm................................:cheers2:

I was out that way on the delta yesterday but didnt see the new boat, I guess Ill have to wait till DS.

Hey Blume post some more pics on my site if you can. Thanks Bud

blume
04-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I was out that way on the delta yesterday but didnt see the new boat, I guess Ill have to wait till DS.

Hey Blume post some more pics on my site if you can. Thanks Bud

got there around noon, checked everything out and went :driving:boating for a couple of hours.