PDA

View Full Version : Has any one heard of an Obsession perfomance boat before?

Davidmnc
04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure if it's the coolest thing I have seen or the straingest thing I have seen. Any body know any thing about this hull design?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1993-OBSESSION-24-TORRENT-95248015

endeavor1
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I know they made a 28 with twins in a cat configuration. Kinda reminds me of early eliminators

cigdaze
04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Looks sort of like one of those Carlsons.

Salesmanship
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Built in Wisconsin. There was some sort of connection to Eliminator or Sleek Craft or something.

cosmic12
04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
There were afew of them around here years ago couple cats and 30 ft Vs
I know they were fast hulls in thier day and seemed to hold up well in rough chit.
Never seen a 24 and didn't know they built one.

DollaBill
04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
primarily a west coast lake boat I believe

BBB725
04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Built in Wisconsin. There was some sort of connection to Eliminator or Sleek Craft or something.

That's correct Terry, Eliminator had two plant one in California the other in Shawano WI, here's a copy of some posts from 2002, I don't know what happened so take your pick.

THEY WERE ONLY MANUFACTURED UP TO 1995. I COULD BE WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE A SPINOFF OF ELIMINATOR BOATS. A DEALER TOLD ME THAT AT ONE TIME ELIMINATOR WAS SOLD ON THE WEST COAST AND OBSESSION WAS SOLD ON THE EAST COAST. THEY SAID THAT THE OWNERS WERE RELATED AND USED THE SAME HULL MOLDS. I COULD BE WRONG, BUT THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM A DEALER WHO SOLD THEM IN MARYLAND (ALL PRO MARINE).

This "branch" of Eliminator was called "Eliminator East" and was using the same molds to produce boats out of Shawno, WI in the early ninties. I don't have a clear story on what happened but the guy started his own boat line called Obsession from 1993 to 1995.
Seems he took an Eliminator mold and copied it with a twin step or added a step to their mold, (I have no idea and Eliminator didn't share the full story with me.)
His steps are about 12"-18" apart whereas Eliminator has the steps much closer together (again this is what Eliminator told me yesterday I have no personal experiance here.)

"Obsession was a company from back east somewhere. They were bought out by Warlock in the mid ninties. So carter reed was manufacturing them. At that time I think he was in business with canyon boats. Then they went out of business again and the molds dissapeared. I know where the 33' cat mold from obsession is. Their cats were not the most attractive on the market but I think they were ahead of their time with the cat and the designs.

Obsession went out of business in the mid to late 90's. They were bankrupt. They were in shawano wisconsin. The shawano location was formerly a eliminator facility.Eliminator severed its ties with the wisconsin facility and sold it to the owner of obsession.They had many of the moulds from eliminator and many previous eliminator employees also worked for obsession. Eliminator was not concerned about the moulds from what I was told.I would assume they are well made. Poor management and lack of industry knowledge led to it's downfall.

40FlatDeck
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
That's correct Terry, Eliminator had two plant one in California the other in Shawano WI, here's a copy of some posts from 2002, I don't know what happened so take your pick.

THEY WERE ONLY MANUFACTURED UP TO 1995. I COULD BE WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE A SPINOFF OF ELIMINATOR BOATS. A DEALER TOLD ME THAT AT ONE TIME ELIMINATOR WAS SOLD ON THE WEST COAST AND OBSESSION WAS SOLD ON THE EAST COAST. THEY SAID THAT THE OWNERS WERE RELATED AND USED THE SAME HULL MOLDS. I COULD BE WRONG, BUT THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM A DEALER WHO SOLD THEM IN MARYLAND (ALL PRO MARINE).

This "branch" of Eliminator was called "Eliminator East" and was using the same molds to produce boats out of Shawno, WI in the early ninties. I don't have a clear story on what happened but the guy started his own boat line called Obsession from 1993 to 1995.
Seems he took an Eliminator mold and copied it with a twin step or added a step to their mold, (I have no idea and Eliminator didn't share the full story with me.)
His steps are about 12"-18" apart whereas Eliminator has the steps much closer together (again this is what Eliminator told me yesterday I have no personal experiance here.)

"Obsession was a company from back east somewhere. They were bought out by Warlock in the mid ninties. So carter reed was manufacturing them. At that time I think he was in business with canyon boats. Then they went out of business again and the molds dissapeared. I know where the 33' cat mold from obsession is. Their cats were not the most attractive on the market but I think they were ahead of their time with the cat and the designs.

Obsession went out of business in the mid to late 90's. They were bankrupt. They were in shawano wisconsin. The shawano location was formerly a eliminator facility.Eliminator severed its ties with the wisconsin facility and sold it to the owner of obsession.They had many of the moulds from eliminator and many previous eliminator employees also worked for obsession. Eliminator was not concerned about the moulds from what I was told.I would assume they are well made. Poor management and lack of industry knowledge led to it's downfall.

Eliminator bought the building from my father. He had a Chevrolet dealership and sold it to them right before we moved to AZ. Born and raised in Shawano...:cheers2:

BBB725
04-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Eliminator bought the building from my father. He had a Chevrolet dealership and sold it to them right before we moved to AZ. Born and raised in Shawano...:cheers2:

I was at the factory when they were building the 27 I think, you still in Wisconsin?

MARK BENTLEY
04-07-2010, 05:14 PM
In the 90's, we had a couple of their boats come thru my shop. They were not 100% completed. If I recall,they were purchased at the auction in Shawano. I think some of the cat molds ended up at Profile.

40FlatDeck
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I was at the factory when they were building the 27 I think, you still in Wisconsin?

No. Moved out to AZ in 86'. I believe my dad sold them the dealership in 84-85...I used to ride my bike by our old dealership and be sad.....but I loved the smell of the resin....:sifone:

Caincando1
04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
There are a couple 33 cats still running around this area. I believe they both reside in WI and like to make appearances at the Liquid Jungle Poker Run on the Mississippi River each year. They seem to handle the river just fine.

Jesse James
04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
i believe they were layed up by the same guy that lays up the MTI's in wisconsin now...memory a little fogggy...

obsessed1
04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I had a 25 obsession vortex cat, not a bad boat.

hotjava66
04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
a local dealer here used to sell them back in the 90's and there are a few still around. went for a ride in one of their cats years ago, first 100mph boat ride

Twin Whackas
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I have actually rode in one of these. Boat was a very stable ride up to 80.
My friend sold the boat and while on it's way to deliver to the buyer in Colorado the truck and boat were in a bad accident and pretty much totaled out.

Another friend of ours also had the Obsession 25' cat. It is one heavy built tank! He was running close to 1000hp motor in it and it ran in the upper 90's and on it's best day ran 103. This boat was sold and now has a smaller motor in it. It is still running around northwest Indiana.

They seemed like very well built boats.

Magic Medicine
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I have actually rode in one of these. Boat was a very stable ride up to 80.
My friend sold the boat and while on it's way to deliver to the buyer in Colorado the truck and boat were in a bad accident and pretty much totaled out.

Another friend of ours also had the Obsession 25' cat. It is one heavy built tank! He was running close to 1000hp motor in it and it ran in the upper 90's and on it's best day ran 103. This boat was sold and now has a smaller motor in it. It is still running around northwest Indiana.

They seemed like very well built boats.

Yep, that 25 was well built. Not even a scratch after "the episode".:eek:

Bradz
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe the same molds but not the same boat in quality. The Obsessions I have looked at were laid up very heavy and and were no comparison to the Eliminators in detail and finish work.

Awaken
04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Misunderstood the thread - at first read I thought it was for those of us who are obsessed with performance boats. Thought there might be a special rehab just for us. You know like Tiger has his sex rehab, and the drugies and alcoholics have their own special place (Betty Ford center and the like). Come to think of it, I think even the gamblers have a place.

I think we could start our own rehab place - we could name it after Don Aronow.