PDA

View Full Version : Is Fountain still a Fountain w/o Reggie?

Jesse James
04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
just curious of opinions... i was only 12 when Aronow was shot and not aware of how don not being at the company effected the line? So i was wondering what would Fountain be with out reggie or what would skater be with out pete? if these men were to retire or sell would the company still have the same success if a corporate entity came in to run it? not looking for a pissin contest just curious of opinions

T2x
04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Skater would have a tough time without Pete and only a couple of very experienced and knowledgeable pro's (one for sales, one for technical/design) would have a chance to continue the legacy in any manner resembling his success.

I can also say with virtual assurance that a new CEO at Fountain would almost certainly be taller.

T2x

Chris
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
It depends on how you look at it.

Cigarette certainly benefitted by the association with Don's larger-than-life presence. But a successful company like NorTech- the owners are pretty much out of the public eye. For alot of years, Wellcraft sold a ton of Scarabs with no individual association. There are probably tons of other examples to be had, either way.

In the case of Fountain... Reggie spent as much time being the brand as he did building the boat's brand. If someone else had taken the company over, they'd have probably been making a mistake to not keep some association with Reggie. At the same time, my guess is that one out of ten Fountain owners really knows that the company has gone through some changes in the last couple years. Just as I'm sure there are Cig owners out there that thing Don is still building them on 188th.

I know one thing, if I were the guy occupying the Fountain factory today, I'd want Reggie's luck on my side. :)

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
It depends on how you look at it.

Cigarette certainly benefitted by the association with Don's larger-than-life presence. But a successful company like NorTech- the owners are pretty much out of the public eye. For alot of years, Wellcraft sold a ton of Scarabs with no individual association. There are probably tons of other examples to be had, either way.

In the case of Fountain... Reggie spent as much time being the brand as he did building the boat's brand. If someone else had taken the company over, they'd have probably been making a mistake to not keep some association with Reggie. At the same time, my guess is that one out of ten Fountain owners really knows that the company has gone through some changes in the last couple years. Just as I'm sure there are Cig owners out there that thing Don is still building them on 188th.

I know one thing, if I were the guy occupying the Fountain factory today, I'd want Reggie's luck on my side. :)

:iagree:

redhotsommer
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
If Reggie was gone...there's always Wyatt and Reggie III...

phragle
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
What would Fountain be without a beak?

DollaBill
04-05-2010, 03:26 PM

3 feet smaller :sifone:

Phantom1
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
3 feet smaller :sifone:

LOL!!

ILMORdude
04-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Fountain needs to start riggin V10's in the Poker run versions!! On topic though, i think having the "fathers" of the company still active is huge. Same could be said for my employer.

Jesse James
04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
my main interest in this question was in a start up business with plans of selling in the future, do you go the route of nor-tech and build the company with out a major owner presence or go the reggie route? Like for example Jim Smith plumbing would seem pretty useless after 20 years with out jim smith, however you do have 20 years of clients and a phone number that has been advertised????

phragle
04-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Not implying this is the case with beaks, but I think the first question should be if the product can sufficiently stand on it's own or does it need support... not saying the product is bad, more that in a crowded market, something must draw attention when things are relatively equal.

Chris
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Henry Ford did OK naming the company after himself.

Branding isn't what you call your business, it's what you do to make the brand valuable to the market.

Wild
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
my main interest in this question was in a start up business with plans of selling in the future, do you go the route of nor-tech and build the company with out a major owner presence or go the reggie route? Like for example Jim Smith plumbing would seem pretty useless after 20 years with out jim smith, however you do have 20 years of clients and a phone number that has been advertised????

selling a service and seling a product is very different, yes, jims plumbing is nothing with out jim.

But David Clark headsets will live on long after david clark is gone. So will fountain

Chris
04-06-2010, 12:54 PM
selling a service and seling a product is very different, yes, jims plumbing is nothing with out jim.

That's true if Jim himself is the brand. And the only way Jim becomes the brand is if it's Jim that everyone deals with. But if Jim grows his business into 30 trucks, "Jim's" is now the level of quality and service that each of those employees delivers.

This is why franchising works. Transferrable, pre-packaged brand association. There's probably anywhere from a handful to a hundred better hamburgers in your town than the one's McDonald's sells. But I know exactly what I'm getting from McD's.

old377guy
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM

an Excalibur?

TCEd
04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
If Reggie we're gone and they built a new boat without the beak and with righthand levers then the baton was passed.

DollaBill
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
If Reggie we're gone and they built a new boat without the beak and with righthand levers then the baton was passed.

Once you get used to the left hand throttles it's fine. And if you're used to sitdown or race boat config's it's more natural. Thus the reason Reggie did it in the first place

Knot 4 Me
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The beak and the left-handed throttles never bothered me as much as the height (or lack thereof) of the bolsters.

TCEd
04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Once you get used to the left hand throttles it's fine. And if you're used to sitdown or race boat config's it's more natural. Thus the reason Reggie did it in the first place

I know that, I own one.

DollaBill
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I know that, I own one.

I was just pointing it out because your avatar shows a fish boat. So I was just giving some background in case you didnt. Wasn't trying to be a dick

TCEd
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I was just pointing it out because your avatar shows a fish boat. So I was just giving some background in case you didnt. Wasn't trying to be a dick

Bill,
No problem. But the guys looking for the vacation pictures may think otherwise :willy_nilly:

ed

DollaBill
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
hahaha. I have the dam camera. It's sitting on my kitchen table.

catastrophe
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I'll vouch for Bill not being a d!ck.

After someone proves to me he even exists.:cheers2:

He's like Topper if you are old enough to know that TV show.

I've got a great pic of him at the KW party. He's surrounded by women.
I've got a pic of him havin groceries with us in NYC.
I've heard theres pics of him in P R.

The only one missing in all these pictures is HIM.:cheers2:

He's like WHERE'S WALDO?????????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DollaBill
04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
LOL

catastrophe
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
LOL

We are goin to do somethin with Bruce soon ( IMAX )

Be there buddy !!!!!!!!!!!

DollaBill
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
when and where? I was just soo hungover I slept through dinner last time. Totally forgot

phragle
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.wayfinderexperience.com/albums/UserGallery/The_Phantom_Menace_Darth.sized.jpg
I'll vouch for Bill not being a d!ck.

After someone proves to me he even exists.:cheers2:

He's like Topper if you are old enough to know that TV show.

I've got a great pic of him at the KW party. He's surrounded by women.
I've got a pic of him havin groceries with us in NYC.
I've heard theres pics of him in P R.

The only one missing in all these pictures is HIM.:cheers2:

He's like WHERE'S WALDO?????????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bill who?? this guy??

MarylandMark
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
when and where? I was just soo hungover I slept through dinner last time. Totally forgot

:rolleyes:

:seeya:

Jesse James
04-06-2010, 10:45 PM

But David Clark headsets will live on long after david clark is gone. So will fountain

very good point....

Jesse James
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;472330]That's true if Jim himself is the brand. And the only way Jim becomes the brand is if it's Jim that everyone deals with. But if Jim grows his business into 30 trucks, "Jim's" is now the level of quality and service that each of those employees delivers.

another good point...