PDA

View Full Version : Songs that jog your memory...

Buoy
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm sitting in my office, surfing here, and the wife is in the other room watching TV...
A commercial comes on the TV, and the music is "Moving in Stereo" by The Cars.

Can anyone hear that song and not picture Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool and taking off that red bikini top??

Maybe it just has to do with the fact I was probably somewhere around 12 when I first saw that and it is an embedded memory.

Indy
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't think it mattered what age we were when we saw that.

LaughingCat
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks man, I never knew the name of the song. Downloading now.

Also, for you iPhone users, you can download a program called Shazam. Anything you hear a song you want the name of, open the app and let it listen. It knows most songs (not classical, excentric)

Chris
04-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Kids...

Buoy
04-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks man, I never knew the name of the song. Downloading now.

Also, for you iPhone users, you can download a program called Shazam. Anything you hear a song you want the name of, open the app and let it listen. It knows most songs (not classical, excentric)

Shazam is very cool. Glad I could help in naming the song. The Cars were a cool band, a bit strange, but some good music. Rick Ockasik (sp?) a bit strange, but some good music for the era.

Kids...

Hey buddy, we both have a birthday coming up...
Not getting any younger.
And admit it, if you hear the song, you can't help but picture Phoebe Cates:)

Buoy
04-04-2010, 01:51 AM
On a side note, I don't think I can hear a Kenny Loggins song without thinking of Caddyshack.

Damn't, while I was typing this, the Pennzoil commercial playing Moving in Stereo came on again.
I had to glance at the TV to see if it was the "memorable" clip

fund razor
04-04-2010, 06:59 AM
On a side note, I don't think I can hear a Kenny Loggins song without thinking of Caddyshack.

Even "Danger Zone?" :D

JupiterSunsation
04-04-2010, 08:30 AM
One of the first times I heard Tom Petty's "Running down a Dream" I was driving a Ferrari 308 (remember it was the late 80's and the Magnum P.I. Ferrari was cool). I laugh everytime I hear that song because about 1/2 way through the "beat ride" I opened this silver tray engraved with the Ferrari logo on the center console only to discover that it was the ashtray, full of ashes and with the roof removed it blew ashes all over the car at 80 mph.....total buzzkill on a very cool day. Needless to say I was the hit of the summer with all my buddies that constantly told the Ferrari beat ride story!

*EDIT- The owner of the car was a reputed mob guy back 20 years ago........2010 google/the internet confirmed he is a member of the Lucchese family..........sure glad that car never got wrecked or I might not be here to tell this story.

dykstra
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah Baby!!!!

MacGyver
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Tried finding that on youtube, but some jackass changed the music.

Scarab KV
04-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm sitting in my office, surfing here, and the wife is in the other room watching TV...
A commercial comes on the TV, and the music is "Moving in Stereo" by The Cars.

Can anyone hear that song and not picture Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool and taking off that red bikini top??

Maybe it just has to do with the fact I was probably somewhere around 12 when I first saw that and it is an embedded memory.

lol...every time. Matter of fact, yesterday.:D

Scarab KV
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Damn't, while I was typing this, the Pennzoil commercial playing Moving in Stereo came on again.
I had to glance at the TV to see if it was the "memorable" clip

Depends on the tune
V8rZWw9HE7o

Scarab KV
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Tried finding that on youtube, but some jackass changed the music.

Should've left it up. Was hav'n no problem remembering the right music and dialog. :sifone:

Buoy
04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Even "Danger Zone?" :D

Ah, good point!

MacGyver
04-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Should've left it up. Was hav'n no problem remembering the right music and dialog. :sifone:

How about this one :D

http://videosift.com/video/Fast-Times-at-Ridgemont-High-Pool-Scene-NSFW

Buoy
10-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I can't say that this song necessarily jogs a certain memory in my life, but...

Has anyone else noticed a commercial on TV that is playing Judas Priest's "Electric Eye" off of the Screaming for Vengeance album?? The ad is for a PHUCKING MINI-VAN!!!!!
Back in the early/mid-80's Judas Priest was about as heavy metal as a band could get. Priest were being prosecuted, and had all the attention of Tipper Gore and the now defunct PMRC because a kid committed suicide while listening to their music... They were absolute Evil!!
And now, 20 years later, their music is being used to market a mini-van to soccer moms... Or maybe it's marketing to the husband of the soccer mom in an attempt to make him not feel like such a dork for intentionally buying a brand new mini-van.
unbelievable.

Bobcat
10-20-2010, 11:08 PM
British Steel !

lucky strike
10-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah Baby!!!!

+1

rschap1
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Judas Priest was HEAVY METAL back then! (Screaming!!!!)
Iron Maiden(Killers,Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind)
Dio
Ozzy

those were the days!!

Then came Metal Blade records and Metallica
then SLAYER!!!

poncho
11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I was only 9 when Fast Times came out. Remember Top Gun better-went with my older brother, his girlfriend and her three friends. Despite being two years older, I ended up making out with one of the girls after seeing that film! Top Gun taught me that hot girls liked me even older ones........... I became a little player after that!!!!!!!! :D

JJ Apache
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Name these bands....."What you smoking there boy, cray-ons"?
"Why no, these are Martian cigarettes".... :biggrinjester:

Another

"OH NO!!! That bowling ball!, Its my WIFE!!!" :eek:

Heard these songs alot from my next door neighbor, when he was partying and entire albums were played...... Albums, showing my age????? :cool:

poncho
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Albums, showing my age????? :cool:

Hate admitting that I once owned albums and remember when the CD first came out..................

JJ Apache
12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Three Dog Night The show must go on. Love the circus music...

Summer of 79, I was a cheerleader and went to my BF house 2 blocks behind ours. She invited me to swim so we rode our bikes to get my suit. The last song I heard as we left her house was Supertramps' Take the long way home. As we turned onto the the main road, a firetruck was on its way to a call. It turned on my street, and we followed it! To MY HOUSE!! Our kitchen was on fire.... nobody was home, but our neighbor ran in to help! His siding was scorched, but we were fine.... I had just learned the singer of Supertramp was a Dude!!!!! Take the long way home.....

Blue Oval
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
She is looking pretty good yet