PDA

View Full Version : Powerboat P1 World Championship is FINSHED AND CANCELLED FOR 2010 !!!!!!!!

ufix1
04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Rumours from today's meeting are that out of 3 classes in p1 (evolution, supersport, superstock) 2 are cancelled and only one remains i.e. superstock class. It is a true shame a sad news and yet antoher blow to our wonderful sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:(:confused::ack2:
:/

Cheers,
Rob.:driving:

T2x
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I just heard this from another source....Is this confirmed?

If true the "tail chasing" continues in an ever decreasing circle.

T2x

phragle
04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Surely the US has a couple extra classes we can lend them for the time being...

imco offshore
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
:rolleyes:this is not so ,,they are putting out a press release ,to explain their plans,,

ufix1
04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
heard it from a reliable source so far only superstock remains.

Matt Trulio
04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
heard it from a reliable source so far only supersport remains.

Super Stock remains, not Super Sport, at least according to Asif Rangoonwalla, the chairman of Powerboat P1. Go to http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/04/powerboat-p1-done-for-2010/. In particular, check out the bold text near the bottom of the release.

Rangoonwalla's statement is tough to get through because it's cluttered with a lot of nebulous language, but the bottom line is the 2010 season won't happen for the Evolution and Super Sport classes, at least under the Powerboat P1 umbrella.

They are talking about launching a "new business model."

What bothers me first as a reporter and second as a fan is this: Powerboat P1 management has to have been discussing this for some time. It says as much in Rangoonwalla's statement. So why announce plans for expansion into the U.S. market?

To be continued.

DaveP
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
"What is it that makes the business unsustainable? As many of you know, unlike traditional motorsport, powerboating does not enjoy any significant revenue from ticketing or television rights. Added to this is the fact that sponsorship income is very limited for what is very much a niche sport."

Unfortunately this statement was true in 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and today.

The investment to produce offshore races is so siginificant that it is virtually impossible to make a business model that is profitable.

A real shame.....I never made it to Europe to see one of the P1 races but people who have told be that it was some of the most unbelieveable racing & "event" that they had ever been to.

OPA has kept their model simple and "bare bones" and even they experience some speed bumps with race sites and money from time to time. But without having huge overhead, they are able to make it work and everyone has FUN

Matt Trulio
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Dave,

I was fortunate enough to cover the P1 event in Malta a few years ago, and it was very, very cool. But even then, Mr. Rangoonwalla told me he had spent "millions and millions of dollars" and was expecting a return in the near future.

ILMORdude
04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
well $hit......there goes my summer of fun!! dang this sucks

THEJOKER
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
My comments are the same as T2x.

Donskihp
04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I was really looking foreward to this season coming up.What a shame. I bet the teams are really pissed off. Well at least some of the teams will start racing here in the states. At least we'll get the opportunity to see Nigel run his new Boat

DAREDEVIL
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Very sad, but why do people think that offshore racing is different over there then here,,same $hit all over and somebody will start again and again and again !!!!!!!!!

Nothing new.

Anybody has some intresting things we can read ????:rolleyes:

THEJOKER
04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Allweiss must be shaking his head , again!

Matt Trulio
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Allweiss must be shaking his head , again!

I was actually thinking the same thing.

This will make for interesting commentary tomorrow.

Fast Shafts
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Where is the "April Fools" part in this story?

Slandrew
04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
It's sad I hope it is April fools joke ??Thought things were hanging in there .

ILMORdude
04-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing.

This will make for interesting commentary tomorrow.

Lets hope this means well for P1 USA. i guess im trying to find something positive about this. Sorry to everyone involved.

MANITIE
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
well $hit......there goes my summer of fun!! dang this sucks

Nigel must be disapointed......I know its not summer in Europe....but it would be nice to have you around us with the Coast Guard Team......

DAREDEVIL
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Nigel must be disappointed......I know its not summer in Europe....but it would be nice to have you around us with the Coast Guard Team......

Now that u mentioned that...wonder what is with all the teams that spend all the green for P-1 Europe on the new boats/equipment.....
PANTERA's new 41, Nigels boat, The new OL ....and so on..........

i guess i stick with the US nonsense racing here ,,at least there is a place for every boat !!!!!! mmmmmhhhhh:confused::rolleyes::eek:

I wonder when they all learn MONEY can't buy racing and greed destroys it all !!!!!!!?????

Martin Sanborn
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
The Changing Face of the Powerboat P1 World Championship

Racers and Fans,

As often happens in this sport, speculation and rumors tend to dominate the communications channels, so I believe that it is important to give you as much information as possible from the source.

Today the Powerboat P1 World Championship held a meeting with the European teams outlining a restructuring of the business and the championship platform for the 2010 season in Europe. The meeting detailed changes to the event schedule for the season, and laid out a direction for the future growth of the sport.

Asif Rangoonwala, Chairman of Powerboat P1 Management, arranged the meeting and flew in the teams for what was described as a Teams “Extraordinary” Meeting. Eighteen race team members were present in London for the announcement, and the subsequent discussion session. There they learned the details and reasoning for the re-direction of resources, stemming largely from internal and external economic circumstances. Rangoonwala cited issues with the general economic climate worldwide, event promoter contractual commitments, and the commitments of some teams.

“I am fully committed to continuing the development and growth of the sport, but we need to take a step back before we can take a leap forward,” said Rangoonwala. “We have made an investment of over €30m over the past 7 years, with an additional investment of over €2.2m this year alone. We need a new strategy, and to build the foundation of the business so that it is sustainable with long term stability.”

A key element of that direction and strategy moving forward is the expansion into the North American market, where there are greater commercial and racing opportunities

The simple fact is, the USA and European markets are substantially different, particularly in the marine industry. Europe, a year behind the US, is now experiencing what the US did in 2009. The US also has a great advantage as we have the venues, the racers and the fan base.

The technology of the US manufacturers has revolutionized the sport, and is proven by the competition in both classes for the past several years. Donzi, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette…they are indeed dominant in the sport and have seen their numbers in European sales grow as a result. The US changed the face of European racing and European racing impressed the Americans involved.

From a practical point of view, there are far more offshore racers, fans, and marine manufacturers in the USA, and that makes the Powerboat P1 race model a viable and sustainable platform. That is especially true when the additional Powerboat P1 principles of parity and competition rulesare incorporated.

Powerboat P1 Management will continue to invest in the growth and development of powerboat racing in Europe, and is projected to invest significantly in the USA this year; working toward the plans that we have discussed with teams and organizations for 2011 and beyond.

Powerboat P1 USA will continue to work with teams and organizations to expand the Powerboat P1 race platform, focusing on limited classes, professional teams, and an event format that is world class in nature. It will also work to incorporate the other platforms outlined in the statement provided by Rangoonwala, including SuperStock and Aquabike, providing event producers and organizations opportunities to benefit from multiple disciplines and an ocean-friendly festival format over multiple days.

We look forward to a great season of racing with the SVL class, and hope to be able to incorporate a similar contingency prize program for the twin engine boats as well.

As Asif said in his announcement, “…Powerboat P1 remains fully committed to the Championship.” His statement is supported by the fact that no one in the recent or distant past has ever invested as much in this sport.

Powerboat P1 has a huge stake in the future success of Powerboat racing, and it is going to protect that investment by directing resources where they can have the maximum impact. They are making decisions that have long-term business implications with specific strategic objectives. This is great news for US teams and fans since the US market and direction is pivotal to the overall business objectives.

Don’t let the European announcement dissolution you or dampen your enthusiasm for racing! The Powerboat P1 community is pulling together to address pressing business issues overseas but continues its confidence in the overall sport, the North American market and racers.

I encourage you to read the announcement from Powerboat P1 www.powerboatp1.com, and watch for future updates. We will keep you in the loop and look forward to your continued involvement.

Martin Sanborn
Director, North American Operations

DAREDEVIL
04-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Cool,, so its not canceled !!!!!!!!! :cheers2:

Brownie
04-02-2010, 08:32 AM
"dissolution"?

Matt Trulio
04-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Super Sport and Evolution are canceled for, at the very least, 2010. Super Stock will run in 2010.

Stay tuned.

DaveP
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

And Monika Lowensky was skinny and hot :ack2:

T2x
04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
"dissolution"?

You caught that too......? I know I, for one, am almost "dissolved" over this....:D

T2x
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Let's wait and see.....

Wait until the P1 guys have their first US "owner's" meeting, and hear things like "My 1979 Velocity is staying in the garage unless you guys feed me barbecue........!" and "I don't travel over 200 miles to a race...unless it's Key West in November."

Our racer population is vastly different from the cash happy jet setters that currently race in Europe.

P-1's only hope is that they can draw the Alcone's, Barbers, Mach's, and Copelands out to play....or maybe some of the high end Poker runners.

Perhaps they should recruit my man Dave P to help out........

DAREDEVIL
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Let's wait and see.....

Wait until the P1 guys have their first US "owner's" meeting, and hear things like "My 1979 Velocity is staying in the garage unless you guys feed me barbecue........!" and "I don't travel over 200 miles to a race...unless it's Key West in November."

Our racer population is vastly different from the cash happy jet setters that currently race in Europe.

P-1's only hope is that they can draw the Alcone's, Barbers, Mach's, and Copelands out to play....or maybe some of the high end Poker runners.

Perhaps they should recruit my man Dave P to help out........

:iagree:

Sean Stinson
04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Dave P would be a great candidate to help out!!!!!

Anyway I know I am a little messed up in the head and am basically just the stupid kid on the block, BUT it seems to me that if he is having contractual problems with whoever, whatever, and somever, (that's right it's a Stinson word so don't ask) wouldn't it make sense that he might be willing to dump all of that cash into the U.S. for racing??? Just a thought....

Kind of like when your supplier runs out of product, you go find somewhere else to spend your money!!!!

I know that contracts went out for the SVL guys yesterday so instead of beating the dead horse, AGAIN, why don't we wait and see what happens!!!!

I will be the first guy to blast them if they dont pay or pony up on their promises!!!

Just a silly boy's perspective from the other side of the fence!!!!

Sean

Salesmanship
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
What a shame.
Well on a positive note. The 427 we just shipped to Belgium for Supersport will most likely go undefeated for 2010. :(

Mike A.
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
If I were Mr. Rangoonwala, before I came over here and got conned out of another several million dollars, I would pick up the phone and CALL ME!!!!!!

Mike A.
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
What a shame.
Well on a positive note. The 427 we just shipped to Belgium for Supersport will most likely go undefeated for 2010. :(

:drool5:

Matt Trulio
04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
For further amplification, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/04/sanborn-on-powerboat-p1-usa-%E2%80%9Cno-change-in-the-plan%E2%80%9D/. I also started another thread on this.

Pete B
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Not sure if it's the way I have read the post's, but some seem truly happy that another failure has occured in trying to promote the sport. I dont get it? because of your own failure you are happy to see others fail. I hope I have just read it wrong.

Mike A.
04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Not sure if it's the way I have read the post's, but some seem truly happy that another failure has occured in trying to promote the sport. I dont get it? because of your own failure you are happy to see others fail. I hope I have just read it wrong.

If you are referring to me then yes, you read both posts wrong. As to my first post, I am seriously suggesting for Mr. Rangoonwala to call me before someone cons him into believing he can spend millions more in the USA and not suffer the same fate. Been there and done that so the least I can do is offer my experiences to him.

As to my second post, anyone who knows me knows I am a HUGE Nor-Tech fan, and two-time customer. I was drooling over Terry's pictures. Not sure why they did not carryover into my post.

I must admit, however, that I am beyond happy at the OSS's miserable failure especially since it has been long and dragged out. :sifone:

Pete B
04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I must admit, however, that I am beyond happy at the OSS's miserable failure especially since it has been long and dragged out.

It wasnt just yours,

However your tenure with LLC was great, and and fate, history, and a few ego's werent on your side, I am sure when it was all said and done you dint lose any sleep. You have moved on as have others, why keep kicking that dead horse its been 7 years now.

as for Mr Rangoonwala, Im sure if he could afford 30M euros, he has a few more he can throw around and why not here. the U.S economy sux.

MANITIE
04-02-2010, 02:22 PM
(quote Pete B)However your tenure with LLC was great, and and fate, history, and a few ego's werent on your side, I am sure when it was all said and done you dint lose any sleep. You have moved on as have others, why keep kicking that dead horse its been 7 years now.

Pete....I don't speek for Mike.....But if LLC was mine...and after all that time and money that was put into the LLC and to get Offshore racing to were it was...and to have not a FEW EGO'S...a lot of ego's that said it could be done better, it set our sport back in a mojor way....I think I would still have a grudge if I owned it...it may be tough for you to understand....but as a team owner and a racer...things were pretty damm good on the racing compitition, the venues and the boat count back then....You may just be a better man...but if it was your buisness that it happend to....you might just be the same way....

Mike A.
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
(quote Pete B)However your tenure with LLC was great, and and fate, history, and a few ego's werent on your side, I am sure when it was all said and done you dint lose any sleep. You have moved on as have others, why keep kicking that dead horse its been 7 years now.

Pete....I don't speek for Mike.....But if LLC was mine...and after all that time and money that was put into the LLC and to get Offshore racing to were it was...and to have not a FEW EGO'S...a lot of ego's that said it could be done better, it set our sport back in a mojor way....I think I would still have a grudge if I owned it...it may be tough for you to understand....but as a team owner and a racer...things were pretty damm good on the racing compitition, the venues and the boat count back then....You may just be a better man...but if it was your buisness that it happend to....you might just be the same way....

:iagree:

Steve Miklos
04-02-2010, 03:35 PM

As my Grandfather said.
"There are talkers and do'ers. Its the talkers that usually ruin everything".
Steve

DaveP
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
For further amplification, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/04/sanborn-on-powerboat-p1-usa-%E2%80%9Cno-change-in-the-plan%E2%80%9D/. I also started another thread on this.

I like Martin alot but I have to get my doctor to change my meds to the ones that he's taking :rolleyes:

DaveP
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Dave P would be a great candidate to help out!!!!!

Thank you...........Thank you...........but no thank you! :sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I must admit, however, that I am beyond happy at the OSS's miserable failure especially since it has been long and dragged out.

It wasnt just yours,

However your tenure with LLC was great, and and fate, history, and a few ego's werent on your side, I am sure when it was all said and done you dint lose any sleep. You have moved on as have others, why keep kicking that dead horse its been 7 years now.

as for Mr Rangoonwala, Im sure if he could afford 30M euros, he has a few more he can throw around and why not here. the U.S economy sux.

If u ment mine,,,u read it wrong as well...or i wrote it wrong !!!!!!!!! :cheers2:

I am not happy at all, all i ment to say is its not that surprising since its going on everywhere and for decates.

AugiePensa
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM

We Ain't givin' Dave P. up !

DaveP
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
We Ain't givin' Dave P. up !

The Godfather has spoken...and NO ONE disrespects the Godfather :sifone:

Team Tsunami
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
What a shame.

Same here Terry with the SV40 that we just shipped! P1 was awesome! Sad to see them out.

DaveP
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Don’t let the European announcement dissolution you or dampen your enthusiasm for racing!

Kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7E_tzxdNs

shifter
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I heard it is not over.... Asif is done but there is someone to take his place.

pat W

earthwerks
04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7E_tzxdNs

Dave P , I am a good friend of Martin Sanborn, who is an honest person who cares about this sport and has done a lot for this sport and for you to make that kind of comparison insults Martin and offends me. I think you are a complete idiot and part of the problem in this sport. Feel free to give me your response in person if you like I will be at most races this year. Dan Davies Global Warmer Fountain....

ufix1
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I heard it is not over.... Asif is done but there is someone to take his place.

pat W

Thats whats gonna happen now...

DaveP
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Dave P , I am a good friend of Martin Sanborn, who is an honest person who cares about this sport and has done a lot for this sport and for you to make that kind of comparison insults Martin and offends me. I think you are a complete idiot and part of the problem in this sport. Feel free to give me your response in person if you like I will be at most races this year. Dan Davies Global Warmer Fountain....

You obviously have ZERO sense of humor.

For those of us who have been invloved in the sport as long as I have (since 1980) I would say that I have a pretty good handle on what it takes to produce an offshore race as well as an offshore race series.

I know that Martin's intentions are genuine but there is nothing more rediculous than making the statement that he made in the effort to lessen the blow of REALITY and to possibly give racers / fans false hope.

No one would like to see offshore racing flourish more than I would. But the realities of today (already mentioned previously by Mike A. & Smitty) is that there is little money available to produce a series like P1 overseas, here in the U.S. or anywhere.

As stated by Mr. Rangoonwala:
"What is it that makes the business unsustainable? As many of you know, unlike traditional motorsport, powerboating does not enjoy any significant revenue from ticketing or television rights. Added to this is the fact that sponsorship income is very limited for what is very much a niche sport."

Again, Martin is a great guy but was also invited to NJ for the OPA Winter Dinner to disuss possibilites of P1 USA & OPA working together. What happened when he came was equivilant to inviting a friend over for dinner and then they turn around and tell you that your wife is ugly and the food sucks.

I have seen plenty of people want to come into offshore race production (from within and the outside) that have failed miserably repeating a similar diatribe that Martin posted above. Such as OPT, Us Offshore, Supercatz,
OSS, etc...

The days of large companies writing big checks without concern of R.O.I are long gone. GEICO is the only company striking those checks right now because of 2 reasons. They have a team headed by Haggin who wants to do nothing but watch his team race and win. Plus they are huge ambsadoors of good will to the racing fans and the general public. They do a first class job. Is GEICO concerned about dollar for dollar analyzing their R.O.I? No, because they consider it "branding" and the promotion of the brand.

So, sorry if I pizzed you off but that was meant in jest. I have no idea how long you have been involved in the sport but I have a similar understanding of the offshore racing circuit as Mike A., Smitty, T2x or Brownie do.

As T2x says, I'm allergic to nonses........and also b--- s--.

phragle
04-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Earthwerks, If you find someones post, feel free to say you find it offensive, if you dsagree with something said, say you disagree. The first half of your reply is fine. The second half is a direct attack on someone out of malice with a confrontational challange. That is not how we do it here. Attacking members is unacceptable.

Mike A.
04-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Mr. Davies,

Dave P. is like 6-7 280lbs so good luck with that in-person thing (Plus, I think he was being tongue in check funny based on his own personal experiences). Martin worked for me years ago. He is smart, a great talker, and personable. Having said that though, if anyone really believes that P1 is preparing to come to the USA with a tremendous, ready for success business plan, then yes, I too would like some of whatever that person is taking because there is NO WAY. Given the very fragile state of what is left of the sport now I would hate to see another well-intentioned person get duped into pouring tons of money down a hole; hence my offer to speak with that person first.

C_Spray
04-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Smart man. Once all the current "sanctioning body" owners get out of the sport and release all rights and claims, the time will come to start anew. Until then - no way.

DaveP
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Smart man. Once all the current "sanctioning body" owners get out of the sport and release all rights and claims, the time will come to start anew. Until then - no way.

I have to say that since "they pulled me back in" and getting a front row seat with OPA, they are very different from other racing groups that I have been exposed to.

They remind me of the NJPPC of racing. Eveyone is pretty close - like a family. Yeah there's smack talk and ball busting but they are really more about having fun than who is going to take the checkered flag on race day (to a point of course).

The Commaraderie is really strong and I think thats why they have lasted as long as they have. Have they had some speed bumps? Sure but all of us have.

It has been a real pleasure being back and working with all of the OPA guys again!

Wazzup Racing
04-03-2010, 04:58 PM
And Dave.............I'll be your wing man anytime.

All joking aside Dave and the NJPPC have been great. We dragged him back in, and we went poker running. Good times.

Steve Miklos
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Hey guys I met Earthwerks in Clearwater. He seems like a good guy with genuine enthusiasm for the sport. I cant blame or fault him for wanting the best as we all do. With that said there are very smart well funded guys who have failed on here trying not to let history repeat itself.
Steve

Mike A.
04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey guys I met Earthwerks in Clearwater. He seems like a good guy with genuine enthusiasm for the sport. I cant blame or fault him for wanting the best as we all do. With that said there are very smart well funded guys who have failed on here trying not to let history repeat itself.
Steve

:iamwithstupid::sifone:

ILMORdude
04-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Steve

Why cant "they" team up as a one to make something successful? In no way am i being sarcastic, just want to know why there are so many different series. It seems everyone knows what went wrong...........but what is right? I'd love for everyone to combine and especially use the power to weight ratio friendly V10's!

Matt Trulio
04-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Gentlemen,

I have no dog in this fight, per se, other than I'd like to see this sport succeed to the levels it did—and I don't care what anyone thinks about the following statement—under APBA Offshore LLC in the first few years. What has happened since has been a steady disintegration. OPA presents a notable exception, at least at this point in time.

That said, I encourage you all to go to http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/04/sanborn-on-powerboat-p1-usa-%E2%80%9Cno-change-in-the-plan%E2%80%9D/. I asked Martin Sanborn questions, which he did not have in advance, and he answered them. The interview is substantially different from a prepared statement.

How you view those answers is entirely up to you, but at least probing questions were asked. if you haven't gone to that link already, I urge you to.

ILMORdude
04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I think we all need to trust what Martin is saying. Maybe support their idea instead of "yea right-ing" it to death. And see what happens

Steve Miklos
04-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I think we all need to trust what Martin is saying. Maybe support their idea instead of "yea right-ing" it to death. And see what happens

I do support Martin and am racing in his series this year. What I suggest is that the racer's work with him,Smitty,JC not against him as they usually do. This year year we will race OPA SBI even a joint event with OSS. This is a bigger mountain than ever to climb. Just like in real mountain climbing we racer's are tethered together as we saw in 2003 it only takes a few bonehead climbers (racers) at the top to make us all fall.
Steve

DrGaryDC
04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Do we need new leaders??

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I too support Martin and his efforts. I look forward to racing this year with excitement.

Steve Miklos
04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Do we need new leaders??

I don't think so. The leaders are seldom the problem. Historically the racer's can ruin things just fine. I think this is why JC has his approach you cant let the racers run the circuit. For the record that is true of all motorsport.
Steve

skaterdave
04-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think so. The leaders are seldom the problem. Historically the racer's can ruin things just fine. I think this is why JC has his approach you cant let the racers run the circuit. For the record that is true of all motorsport.
Steve

What you just stated is the obvious problem for offshore, atleast in the "bigger spec classes". And for the record no other motorsport's series, I can think of, has the problems of offshore. That's why in every other type of motorsports, has a primary spec class and has "real sponsors", TV, prize money (enough that actually means something), plus they are basically a markable business.

Outside of OPA's p1-6 the spec classes are a mess.

DrGaryDC
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I dont agree with this statement. Clearly something needs to be done in our sport of offshore powerboat racing. I just cant believe no one can make this a "Big" marketable sport. I believe, we, the racers have been waiting for a change in this sport. Possibly offshore powerboat reform:)

DrGaryDC
04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you blame the players or the coach. Do you fire the employees or the CEO

Sean Stinson
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... I happen to be very dear friends with both Martin and Dave P..... if you don't know Dave P let me enlighten you he is the biggest practical joker in the biz and as well is probably the finest promoter of any event in the business.....Martin is probably one of the finest in the media that I know (next to T2x, of course)..... So from someone that has been there done that I think you really need to slow down a bit trigger!!!!

Sean Stinson
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I think we all need to step back and see what happens......If it fails you can all say I told you so stupid and I will take it until then why kill the messenger????

If it fails I will be the first to lead the charge of the new light brigade!!!!!!

imco offshore
04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
you know,, I was going to write a big long responce, to what is being tried right now !! I won,t,,,,,BUT,,,,PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN,T THROW STONES,!!! I really hope this hits home for some,!!!:cuss:

Steve Miklos
04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Do you blame the players or the coach. Do you fire the employees or the CEO

CEO is relevant in a real for profit for business that is viable. Mike A. had Speedvision GM etc and the racers killed it to form OSS a not for profit. OSS has never been a shadow of what Mike A. had and several racers put hundreds of thousands of dollars in it. There are not any motorsports with big exposure that are run by the racer's.
Right now George (Imco) is busting his butt to get SVL going, he could keep the money he raised but is sharing it. I did that for SVL with GM in 2000 it was a mistake.

The racer's are hard on the volunteers also.

Steve

phragle
04-05-2010, 12:37 AM
The racer's are hard on the volunteers also.

Steve

Everyone at OPA and all of the racers have treated me very well over the last few years. Though I could always use more T-Shirts :seeya:

Steve Miklos
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Everyone at OPA and all of the racers have treated me very well over the last few years. Though I could always use more T-Shirts :seeya:

Yep! That is why they are succeeding. Get a few big ego's and watch what happens.
Steve

T2x
04-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Amen.......

Chris
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I just cant believe no one can make this a "Big" marketable sport.

It's not all that hard to believe.

I have non-boating friends who have never been around it. And they couldn't care less. I put on videos that are compilations of some of the best action the sport has ever seen and they'll watch politely for a few minutes- that's it. I put them on for my kids' friends- they're ambivalent at best. Now, you'd think that males 21 to 25 would be interested. Not this group. And they're not Nintendo nerds. Thery all are into cars and trucks and motorcycles.

Compared to today's broadcast sports offerings, offshore racing is just dull. But if you compared an NFL (or NASCAR) telecast from 30 years ago to today, you wouldn't think you're watching the same game. It's now a total, non-stop multimedia presentation.

At the same time, I couldn't explain to you why ANYONE watches golf or tennis or even bowling on TV.

DaveP
04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The biggest issue as mentioned in this thread previously is EGO. You take an extremely wealthy offshore racer who is used to getting his way most of the time in the business world and now put him into a racing environment.....POTENTIALLY an issue for some of them (again...NOT ALL....just a few.)

But all it take is a few disgruntled BIG EGO men to say "F--- this! I am going to take some of my friends and build a better mouse trap! (aka another offshore racing series).

Then you also have the BIG EGOs that want to run in a series where there are only themselves or another boat in the class so they can get a checkered flag or a trophy everytime! "aka formerly known at the Superboat Series sponsored by Fountain"

Racing is called racing for a reason. There are supposed to be winners and losers. Unfortunately some BIG EGOs can't handle being in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th place.

For a race organization to flourish it takes 2 things. ALOT OF MONEY and a group of racers that are commited to the organization no matter what.

mikey
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa..... I happen to be very dear friends with both Martin and Dave P..... if you don't know Dave P let me enlighten you he is the biggest practical joker in the biz and as well is probably the finest promoter of any event in the business.....Martin is probably one of the finest in the media that I know (next to T2x, of course)..... So from someone that has been there done that I think you really need to slow down a bit trigger!!!!

Hey thanks for that buddy!!!!!!:bump:

ILMORdude
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
What!? What do mean im illegal?!! Im a 32 time Natl Champion and a 13 time World Champion in this exact configuration. Thats it, im calling....................

imco offshore
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:don,t we read this thread ,,about 3 times a year,,,only it has a differant starter tag line,,we all know the story ,,i,v got a lot of money,i,ll give you some ,just make me a CHAMPION,,the funny thing is the general public don,t care,,, and the racing peers know the truth..:seeya: have a great day !!

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
The biggest issue as mentioned in this thread previously is EGO. You take an extremely wealthy offshore racer who is used to getting his way most of the time in the business world and now put him into a racing environment.....POTENTIALLY an issue for some of them (again...NOT ALL....just a few.)

But all it take is a few disgruntled BIG EGO men to say "F--- this! I am going to take some of my friends and build a better mouse trap! (aka another offshore racing series).

Then you also have the BIG EGOs that want to run in a series where there are only themselves or another boat in the class so they can get a checkered flag or a trophy everytime! "aka formerly known at the Superboat Series sponsored by Fountain"

Racing is called racing for a reason. There are supposed to be winners and losers. Unfortunately some BIG EGOs can't handle being in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th place.

For a race organization to flourish it takes 2 things. ALOT OF MONEY and a group of racers that are commited to the organization no matter what.

:iamwithstupid::sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:don,t we read this thread ,,about 3 times a year,,,only it has a differant starter tag line,,we all know the story ,,i,v got a lot of money,i,ll give you some ,just make me a CHAMPION,,the funny thing is the general public don,t care,,, and the racing peers know the truth..:seeya: have a great day !!

:cheers2::rolleyes:

DaveP
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
One of the best lines ever I heard from a racer...

"The M----- F------er is cheating!!!!! You know why? Because I'm cheating and he's passing me!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

imco offshore
04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Dave how about ,,,"WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THE MONEY YOU WIN"

ILMORdude
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM

"The M----- F------er is cheating!!!!! You know why? Because I'm cheating and he's passing me!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like AJ Foyt.....................

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Dave how about ,,,"WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THE MONEY YOU WIN"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA:rolleyes::sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 10:26 PM

I think Smitty said that ..LOL:sifone:

1waterboy1
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
As my Grandfather said.
"There are talkers and do'ers. Its the talkers that usually ruin everything".
Steve

In my opinion, the formation of OSS was the biggest setback in the history of offshore powerboat racing.Racing organizations that are managed by the owners of the race teams are destined for failure.The end result is a board of directors made up of rich self serving racers that cant agree on anything.This has been proven over and over again in in offshore powerboat racing as well as other motorsports.Imagine if Hendrick,Roush and Childress were in charge of NASCAR!

I truley believe that the APBA Offshore LLC was on the right track; they had already taken the sport to a new level before some of the racers boycotted and formed the OSS.

OPA; with the support of GEICO, is doing a nice job of picking the pieces and moving our sport forward again.Everyone involved in offshore powerboat racing needs to look at what they can do for the sport....and not what the sport can do for them!Lets all get behind OPA and GEICO ;and work together to promote the greatest motorsport in the world!!!

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
In my opinion, the formation of OSS was the biggest setback in the history of offshore powerboat racing.Racing organizations that are managed by the owners of the race teams are destined for failure.This has been proven over and over again in in offshore powerboat racing as well as other motorsports.

I truley believe that the APBA Offshore LLC was on the right track; they had already taken the sport to a new level before some of the racers boycotted and the formed OSS.

OPA; with the support of GEICO, is doing a nice job of picking the pieces and moving our sport forward again.Everyone involved in offshore powerboat racing needs to look at what they can do for the sport....and not what the sport can do for them!Lets all get behind OPA and GEICO and work together to promote the greatest motorsport in the world!!!

Somehow,,i think your statement is not realy adding up. OPA is run by a racer as well ?! mmmmhhhhhh just saying,,unless i read something wrong in your post?!:confused:

I also think a presi of an org. should not race !!!!! but thats me...

MANITIE
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I think Smitty is kinda doing what Mike A was doing Running LLC an Mike would say to us in the driver meeting...see you on the race course and turn the meeting over to the Offical ref. to go over the courses and rules....
I think the P Class on Sat and Pro Series on Sunday was a great format...2 days of racing for the fans...if some fans could only make Sat races and some only Sunday but to do that you have to have the boat count to run 15 Classes...I think that is one reason OPA has been sucessful...keeping the classes down to 8 and 9 classes...and when you get 45 to 50 boats it works....but to have 15 classes...40 boats are not going to work...but if you notice...its the little guys still hanging in there in these times....there are at least half of the OPA racers are running boats under 100k...and your biggest classes are class 6 and class 5....combined you are looking at 20 - 23 boats....with 5 mph seperating them...Just a vision...and I KNOW...mine have had there share of fog....but with a sponsor even a engine sponsor to come in and come up with a program for all boats in 6 and 5....you would have a class that looks like a great class just 8 years ago...In F1 we had boats as small as 24....the BAJA 24 Outlaw and the 24 Warlock up to the 30 Superboat 6 feet covered the class and the 24's rolled in the calm water and the ruff water boats did just that in the big....but not to get off track....with the hundreds of thousands of $ thrown away to keep some Orgs afloat and basically pay to keep running vice invest it into a class that is already there....
example: If a sponsor came onboard and put up 10k to each racer in class 6 and 5 to put towards a engine deal were we all run the same engine and had assistace from the engine manufacture and on top of that you could also sell your current engine, and you now have a bullet proof race engine...could you get these class 5 and 6 boats together to race as one weather to run a WOT class or still a GPS class to make sure all boats are capible to hit the top speed...would bring the boat count up.....and have one less class and have a 20+ boat class.

Just a furture thought....

ILMORdude
04-05-2010, 10:53 PM
how many boats usually show up for an OPA weekend??

MANITIE
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM
how many boats usually show up for an OPA weekend??

On the opener in Ocean City they have seen 40 to 50 boats...