PDA

View Full Version : New York airport question

TCEd
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Could any of the NY/NJ crowd help me out ?
My wife and her mom are flying into NYC seperately, meeting up and spending the night and flying out of JFK to Greece the next day.
What is the best airport to fly into NYC ?
and what are the commute costs into Manhatten ?

Thanks ,
ed

Big Time
03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Could any of the NY/NJ crowd help me out ?
My wife and her mom are flying into NYC seperately, meeting up and spending the night and flying out of JFK to Greece the next day.
What is the best airport to fly into NYC ?
and what are the commute costs into Manhatten ?

Thanks ,
ed

When are they flying? JFK is going to have delays due to runway closure/construction that will last past this summer. La Guardia is closer and will cost less getting into mid-town. It should cost around $30 plus tolls and tip. JFK is a $45 flat rate plus tolls and tip. If they do catch a cab make sure before they begin to move in the car they confirm that there is a flat rate and also keep in mind that if they decide to stop anywhere first before the final destination, the flat rate ends and the meter begins.

MahopacMarine
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
If they do catch a cab make sure before they begin to move in the car they confirm that there is a flat rate and also keep in mind that if they decide to stop anywhere first before the final destination, the flat rate ends and the meter begins.

YES!
Also be sure to use the sanctioned Taxi Cab line. Do not let them be picked up by a Gypsy cab at baggage claim. You will know these guys when they ask you if you need a car.

Big Time
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
YES!
Also be sure to use the sanctioned Taxi Cab line. Do not let them be picked up by a Gypsy cab at baggage claim. You will know these guys when they ask you if you need a car.

Good point. You'll get a lot of vulchers claiming they will give you a break into the city, then when you get there they say it is going to cost $100. I've used these guys before but I know how to deal with them before I even get in the car and normally that is only when the sanctioned cab line is too long (I'm a impatient east coaster when I get back into town!). Having said that, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my wife/mother in law to deal with these people by themselves.

If you don't mind spending a little more, these are the guys that I use:

http://www.goldseallimo.com/rates.asp?screen=3

GENERAL LEE
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
If you don't mind spending a little more, these are the guys that I use:

http://www.goldseallimo.com/rates.asp?screen=3

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

It's not much more at all when you compare the alternative. Nicer car & driver, flat rate, no nonsense. We use a similar car service exclusively when we're in NYC throughout the year on business. It's the only way to go. :cheers2:

TCEd
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll get them a limo and avoid the other potential problems.

GENERAL LEE
03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll get them a limo and avoid the other potential problems.

You, and especially your wife & mother in law, will be very thankfull you did.

PS: you don't have to get an actual "limo" when you book it, since it's just two people needing the ride. They have nice town cars that are better for smaller groups.

rainmn
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
When they are shopping for their flights into the area, don't rule out Newark if it's a cheaper option than LaGuardia or JFK. The cost to get into NYC isn't all that much different.

sledge
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
LaGuardia/Newark and a towncar on arrival, taxi to JFK.

I used to live in Queens so LaGuardia was a no-brainer; it was even easy when having to go downtown. The car service was the same price as a taxi for departures and worth the upcharge on arrivals.