PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day

T2x
03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Before we take this out of the "On the Dock" section please consider the ethnic heritage of most Apache, OL, and Hustler owners....... plus Augie :D

Those of you with a history from the NY metropolitan area will remember one of the great voices of all time. John Mastrangelo...aka "Johnny Maestro" passed away last friday. Discovered singing doo wop in a subway car in 1957, Johnny and his groups, "The Crests" and "The Brooklyn Bridge" went on to score a string of hits driven by his amazing voice.

When I heard the news at dinner Friday evening I was stunned as he seems to have always been there and I thought he would go on forever. I was, in fact, a major fan and saw him perform literally dozens of times. He also could be seen around some of the South Shore watering holes near his old home in Islip, Long Island.

At times I would hum his hit "Step by Step" while negotiatiing through traffic in boat races.........

His death was truly "The Worst that could happen".

The chorus in Heaven just got a new lead singer.

T2x

nthdegree
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Sad...also a big fan, him and the Brooklyn Bridge...but we may be showing our age...here!!!
I grew up in New Rochelle...

DollaBill
03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
if you're from NY/NJ you have to appreciate some of those guys. And they are older than my father.

One of my favorite things to do - and def do this if you're near or visiting NYC - is to got to a little hole-in-the-wall-place called Forlinis on Baxter St for dinner. I like going on Sundays about 4 or 5. It's been open since 1943 I believe and hasn't been redocorated since maybe 1970. It's off the beaten tourist trap path of little italy. I've been going there for 25 years. Got engaged there. twice LOL.

Anyway, the coolest part of the place is the jukebox thats in the bar area of the place. All the records are original Sinatra, Tony B etc etc. A very cool place to hang before and after dinner. Def go if you can

Gladhe8er
03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
The Brooklyn Bridge usualy played at my hometown's(Westport, CT) Italian festival every year. My parents were fans.

T2x
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
The Brooklyn Bridge usualy played at my hometown's(Westport, CT) Italian festival every year. My parents were fans.

That's interesting given that your parents and I are fans of each other......

Give them my best.

Rich

Gladhe8er
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
That's interesting given that your parents and I are fans of each other......

Give them my best.

Rich

You got it!

AugiePensa
03-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Rich, Johnny and The Boyz are Fantastic. Johnny used to come to The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ and Convention Hall in Asbury Park when I worked there in the mid 70's until 1985 and had a free pass from all the guy's. Gonna miss him BUT the music lives on! God Bless Johnny

McGary911
03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Johnny was a real nice guy. I used to do morning radio at a Jersey Shore station. We decided to put on a free concert on the beach in Long Branch. Who'd we pick as the main act? You guessed it, Johnny Maestro and the BB. Us station folks got to spend some time with him. A very nice guy, and a class act. Of course the crowd loved the show.

R.I.P.

T2x
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
The last time I saw him perform was about 5 years ago. In the previous few years I found myself waiting for the "peak moments" as he sang. Those instances when his voice left the boundaries of human comprehension....He never missed a note, cracked, or took vocal shortcuts....His voice was truly a blessing to hear and experience. THe thing I remember at that concert most clearly was that he took on "Unchained Melody" and nailed it! I had never heard him do that song before and it left Doreen and I speechless.

As an old street corner doo wop wannabe ( from Base to Falsetto)......I have a special place in my heart for the truly "special" voices. We've lost Roy Orbison, Frankie Lymon, Tony Williams (The Platters) and now Johnny, leaving only Jay Black in my top 5.

T2x

Slandrew
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Sad he was a great person sang@ my wedding 1978 RIP:(He put his son who was Ill over all!

T2x
04-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Sad he was a great person sang@ my wedding 1978 RIP:(He put his son who was Ill over all!

I knew there was something about you that I liked...... Now if we could just cure you of Fountain worship....... ;) :D

T2x

Slandrew
04-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I knew there was something about you that I liked...... Now if we could just cure you of Fountain worship....... ;) :D

T2xThat will be tough I've been breast fed & brain washed by Fountain!LOL

T2x
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
That will be tough I've been breast fed & brain washed by Fountain!LOL

Yeah but he's an Elvis fan.. and can't appreciate good street corner harmony.

Come to think of it...that explains a lot.....;)