PDA

View Full Version : So much for my insensitive writing

ericc
03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
For those of you who don't know, I was released by Performance Boats after I wrote a column about the accident described in the Newsday article in this thread. The main focus of my column was why didn't this guy slow down and re-assess the situation if things didn't look right. Apparently Joe the owner of Hustler didn't like my column and Performance Boats decided to no longer have me write for them as a result.

Below is an article that appeared in Newsday last Saturday. My condolences again go out to the families who lost loved ones in this accident and I hope the survivors recover from their emotional and physical injuries. To everyone who voiced their support, thanks again.

Navigation buoys at issue in boat crash off Seaford
Originally published: March 28, 2010 7:45 PM
Updated: March 28, 2010 9:53 PM
By BILL BLEYER bill.bleyer@newsday.com

As darkness fell Oct. 4, George Canni steered his high-performance Hustler speedboat up the winding Great Island Channel south of Seaford as his friend Joseph Sugamele trained a spotlight looking for navigation buoys marking the way.

As the boat skimmed across the water at anywhere from 35 mph to 60 mph, Sugamele asked Canni if he could see the buoys in the dark. Canni answered that he knew where he was going - but seconds later, the boat crashed up on Goose Island, ejected all aboard onto the marsh and rolled over. Passenger Peter Sophia flew through the air, landed feet-first in the mud and heard both his legs fracture.

Those are among the new details that have emerged in the finalNassau police report about Long Island's worst boating accident in several years, a crash that killed Canni, 65, his wife, Theresa, and Sugamele, and seriously injured the other four passengers.

Focus on police report

The police report concludes the accident occurred as a result of George Canni's driving the boat while intoxicated at an unsafe speed, and by his failure to use a radar system stowed aboard that would have helped him guide the speedboat Uncanni through the winding channel in the darkness.

The report, along with the Nassau medical examiner's toxicology report and studies commissioned by an attorney hired by the Cannis' insurance company to represent the estate, are expected to be at the center of unfolding legal battles. Because navigation aids had been changed over the years by the Town ofHempstead but were not reflected in government charts, attorneys for the Canni estate and the survivors have filed notice that they plan to sue the town.

Hempstead spokesman Michael Deery said "our position is that we have maintained our buoys properly and have provided updated lists of their location on an ongoing basis to the Coast Guard."

Survivor lawsuits likely

Lawsuits are also anticipated by the survivors against the estate. Three weeks ago, James Mercante of the Manhattan firm of Rubin, Fiorella & Friedman, the lawyer hired by the Cannis' insurance company, filed a motion in federal district court in Central Islip seeking to have the case heard in admiralty court and limit the owner's liability to the value of the boat after the accident, $92,000. That would block a large financial verdict in any actions filed by the survivors.

Survivors made statements to police while being treated at Nassau University Medical Center the night of the crash. Their statements, never before made public, were summarized in the police report, and they suggest the following scenario on Oct. 4:

About 1 p.m., Joseph Sugamele, and his wife, Deborah, both 50, of Massapequa, went to the Cannis' Copiague home. The Cannis took the Sugameles in their boat east to Patchogue, where they visited a waterfront restaurant for brunch. Deborah Sugamele told police the group drank alcoholic beverages, but did not recall how much or what kind.

About 3 p.m. the couples left Patchogue and headed back west for Massapequa. They picked up friends Thomas, 48, and Laura Soluri, 54, who live on a canal there, between 4:30 and 5 p.m. The three couples decided to get seafood at Captain Ben's Seafood in Freeport and take it back to the Cannis' home.

About 5, the boat eventually tied up at Bracco's Clam and Oyster Bar along the Woodcleft Canal and next door to Captain Ben's. The group went to the bar for drinks, though the survivors told police Canni only had seltzer or club soda with lemon.

About 5:30 p.m., the party added its last member - Sophia, 54, of South Farmingdale. He was walking by Bracco's when he heard his friend Thomas Soluri yelling to him from the bar. Someone bought him a cocktail, and George Canni invited him for dinner.

As it was getting dark, three of the men went to Captain Ben's and purchased seven soft-shell crabs, five 1 1/2-pound lobsters and 3 pounds of shrimp. At 6:45, the group stepped down into Uncanni and cast off.

About 7 p.m., the boat passed eastbound beneath the Wantagh Parkway Bridge No. 2, which was closed for construction. Anchored nearby in a 19-foot fishing boat were John Tetenes and Steven DiBenedetto. Tetenes pegged the Hustler's speed at 50 to 60 miles an hour, but DiBenedetto thought it was more like 35 to 40. Uncanni's wake was sufficient to rip the smaller boat's anchor out of the bottom.

Speed of boat at issue

In the end, the police concluded that "the operating speed of the subject vessel at the time of occurrence is estimated at 35-40 mph." If the bridge had been open and free of construction, the speed limit is 5 mph.

In part, the police report says, authorities drew their conclusion on the boat's speed after speaking with Joseph Logiudice, owner of Hustler Boats in Calverton. Logiudice said that with the throttles at three-quarter speed and the boat's trim devices set to keep the bow down in the water - the way the boat was discovered after the accident - Uncanni was traveling at about 35 mph.

But Joseph Donahue, the Manhattan attorney representing the Soluris, said experts he has hired will "show that the boat was doing a higher rate of speed."

However fast the boat was going, Thomas Soluri told police that Canni was having difficulty navigating in the dark.

Along with velocity, attorneys say questions about navigational aids - things like buoys - will play a big role in expected courtroom fights. The police report notes that the Coast Guard surveyed the channel Oct. 22 and determined that the town's buoys and pole-mounted markers - known as daymarks - were not in positions shown on navigation charts. Two buoys were out of position, and two daymarks were missing. Mercante added that there were discrepancies about which aids were supposed to be lit.

Hempstead says it regularly communicated the positions of its buoys and daymarks to the Coast Guard. That agency said it was investigating why the information never made it to the federal department that updates navigation charts.

Despite the new details that have emerged about the case, several unanswered questions resonate from the crash of Uncanni.

First, the police report states that a spotlight mounted on the bow was operating that night, that Joseph Sugamele held another one in his hand and a global positioning system display at the helm was turned on. But the report also states that a functioning radar unit - it would have provided a more accurate view of the shoreline and the buoys, even if they are out of place - was stowed in the engine compartment.

Finally, how to reconcile survivors' statements to police that Canni did not drink anything alcoholic after his early afternoon brunch with his documented blood-alcohol level of .08, which made him legally intoxicated?

"I don't think anybody knows," said Roy Corsa, the Port Washington attorney for the Cannis' estate. "Every case ends up with mysteries and this is one for this case."

Ted
03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
3/4 throttle, tabs down, 35-40 mph ?

I didn't know they made a single engine Hustler 32:confused:

Knot 4 Me
03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
My 26' single engine Chaparral runs faster than 35 MPH at 3/4 throttle even if I trim it down.

fund razor
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
What does the title have to do with the article?
Is there something more to this than the average reader would be privvy to? It almost seems like a reference to a different situation, complaint, or agenda.

JupiterSunsation
03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
3/4 throttle, tabs down, 35-40 mph ?

I didn't know they made a single engine Hustler 32:confused:

If I recall it was about 40 feet and diesel/ASD powered.

Ted
03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
What does the title have to do with the article?
Is there something more to this than the average reader would be privvy to? It almost seems like a reference to a different situation, complaint, or agenda.

Nope, I'm just questioning how they can say a 32' performance boat would only have been going 35-40 at 3/4 throttle. And I think it is wrong to try and make this someone else's fault other than an allegedly intoxicated boater traveling in unfamiliar water too fast for the conditions while exhibiting poor, illegal seamanship. I would also think that the nature of the crash would indicate a speed higher than that also.

Ted
03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
If I recall it was about 40 feet and diesel/ASD powered.

Well then I will retract what I said, I have no idea what the speed of a boat like that would be. That's what I get for believing what I read. :rolleyes:

fund razor
03-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Nope, I'm just questioning how they can say a 32' performance boat would only have been going 35-40 at 3/4 throttle. And I think it is wrong to try and make this someone else's fault other than an allegedly intoxicated boater traveling in unfamiliar water too fast for the conditions while exhibiting poor, illegal seamanship. I would also think that the nature of the crash would indicate a speed higher than that also.

No. I meant that when I clicked on the thread I expected some development of the issue of insensitive writing. Instead, it was an article about a crash. One would have expected a title like "article about boat crash off of Seaford." OR a story about insensitive writing. There must be a secondary editiorial mission here in the creation of the "lede." Perhaps vindication. :)

T2x
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I've boated in those waters all my life.....

The first point that you have to understand is that the "islands" in that area are actually raised areas of marshland no more than a foot or two above the water level and many are flooded at high tide with only the marsh grass above water...... Whatever speed, channel markers or alcohol was or wasn't involved, the operator obviously hit a fixed piece of low land that had not moved over the years he was boating in the area. One can only surmise that he couldn't see far enough around him to take evasive action at the speed he was traveling.

T2x

Chris
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
This is the same topic that Eric wrote about in Performance Boats magazine. That article led to his dismissal.

The story is that the owner of Hustler unloaded on the publisher of PerfBoats and demanded Eric be let go, which he was. The reason being his writing was insensitive.

GENERAL LEE
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
This is the same topic that Eric wrote about in Performance Boats magazine.

That article led to his dismissal.

The story is that the owner of Hustler unloaded on the publisher of PerfBoats and demanded Eric be let go, which he was. The reason being his writing was insensitive.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/wtf.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

If that's a copy of his story, word for word, he could have a wrongfull termination suit if he felt like pursuing it? I didn't read anything by the author, or any quotes that were included in the article, that seemed insensitive at all, even while I was looking for something.

The only thing the Hustler guy could be concerned with at all, is the fact one of his boats was involved. He chose to give info to the story however, so it should not have surprised him to see his company, and personal name mentioned in the story:

"In part, the police report says, authorities drew their conclusion on the boat's speed after speaking with Joseph Logiudice, owner of Hustler Boats in Calverton. Logiudice said that with the throttles at three-quarter speed and the boat's trim devices set to keep the bow down in the water - the way the boat was discovered after the accident - Uncanni was traveling at about 35 mph."

http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsughno.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

JupiterSunsation
03-29-2010, 11:02 AM
This is the same topic that Eric wrote about in Performance Boats magazine. That article led to his dismissal.

That is what I thought the article was going to be about with his title......

Article seemed fine to me. Hustler should praise anyone talking about their boats.:eek:

Chris
03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
My understanding is that the operator and Hustler's owner were close friends.

As I posted in my comments in the original thread, my guess is that letting Eric go over this played better than telling the world that times are tight in the publishing business and cuts had to be made. One would think that the editor and the publisher of the magazine would both know the topic of the story being submitted and both would have had the opportunity to review its content prior to publishing.

This was Matt's original coverage of the story-
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15552

T2x
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM

And that is the whole story here....period!

Either it was operator error/speed/achohol related........or it was the island's fault.

Apparently the owner of Hustler prefers the latter theory.

At the expense of Eric's job.........

T2x

Ted
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Here is the original story:

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3795

Smarty
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
The article is not insensitive. It rather factual based from statements (law enforcement officials facts may be questionable, but the story is not emotionally written), it is not an emotionally based piece.

The last three paragraphs/questions are where the trouble lies. I think that they are fair questions. I think (based on my experience with BUI/DUI/DWI) I know the answer to the .08 BAC question, but I will not publish that answer for the world to see on the internet in a pending case. It is a fair article, losing your job over this is nonsense.

Stephen

htrdlncn
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Compared to what normal (sensationalist ) media writes his article was
extremely sensitive.
Had it been tv new they would have been saying much worse.
( another reckless speed and alcohol related powerboat accident last night ,
or something like that )

Smarty
03-29-2010, 12:23 PM
extremely sensitive.
or something like that )

The topic, death is sensitive, Eric's writing style is not. The artcle was not that insensitive to merit his dismissal. It states what was determined by law enforcement officials, and asks for answer to questions that have not yet been addressed. I fail to see a problem with this piece.

fund razor
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM

As I posted in my comments in the original thread, my guess is that letting Eric go over this played better than telling the world that times are tight in the publishing business and cuts had to be made. One would think that the editor and the publisher of the magazine would both know the topic of the story being submitted and both would have had the opportunity to review its content prior to publishing.

This was Matt's original coverage of the story-
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15552

Thanks for closing the loop on that.

RDMAN
03-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Just read about all this. Scary at night !

Matt Trulio
03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
extremely sensitive.
or something like that )

I realize that the media is often sensationalistic, but you'd probably be surprised at how much those of us who try to report ethically and responsibly hold back even in columns, which are by nature opinionated.

Almost every day, I get a quote from someone in the high-performance world that would make spectacular, "sensational" copy but would absolutely bury that person. And I don't use it. People often misspeak or, even more often, reveal ugly little things during interviews that are on the record.

A responsible journalist (an oxymoron it seems, at least at times), never lets those ugly little things seen the light of day. It doesn't make that journalist a hero, just someone who understands his job.

MarylandMark
03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Almost every day, I get a quote from someone in the high-performance world that would make spectacular, "sensational" copy but would absolutely bury that person. And I don't use it. People often misspeak or, even more often, reveal ugly little things during interviews that are on the record.

A responsible journalist (an oxymoron it seems, at least at times), never lets those ugly little things seen the light of day. It doesn't make that journalist a hero, just someone who understands his job.

and keeps you working. Sure, you would sell the snot out of that one story/issue but you may never get an interview from that person again. Every one can have a forked tongue at times and may spew out some thing they wish they had kept to themselves, you giving them a pass on that may be just what landed you your next interview. Keep up the good work!

htrdlncn
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
But unfortunately they are not as grounded as you are,
the TV media is meant to be sensationalist by design, it gets them ratings...

I realize that the media is often sensationalistic, but you'd probably be surprised at how much those of us who try to report ethically and responsibly hold back even in columns, which are by nature opinionated.

Matt Trulio
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I tend to agree with you regarding TV media. And yet survey after survey reveals that Americans place more credibility in what they see on the nightly news than what they read in the papers. Interesting.

And MarylandMark is right. If you screw a source, you lose that source.

T2x
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Matt:

It's a fine line sometimes, I clearly recall being admonished for giving what were basically accurate racing insights during various Offshore telecasts over the years. There were various sacred cows including boat and engine manufacturers, wealthy owners, and race promotors who could not be criticised. At times boats that were stinking up the race course were "waiting to make their move", badly driven and trimmed boats were suffering from "mechanical gremlins", and poorly conceived safety cockpits were "a bold new design by the visionary owner". All meant to cater to some hidden agenda. The beauty of the web, for me, is the absence of this censorship. On the other hand it also provides an audience for every hair brained point of view or distorted/exagerrated "fact" known to man.

The world would be so much better if I could choose who could or could not write on the web......... But I think Obama is already working on that one.

T2x

MarylandMark
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
The world would be so much better if I could choose who could or could not write on the web......... But I think Obama is already working on that one.

T2x

Gore should have built that in from the get go!

Matt Trulio
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Matt:

It's a fine line sometimes, I clearly recall being admonished for giving what were basically accurate racing insights during various Offshore telecasts over the years. There were various sacred cows including boat and engine manufacturers, wealthy owners, and race promotors who could not be criticised. At times boats that were stinking up the race course were "waiting to make their move", badly driven and trimmed boats were suffering from "mechanical gremlins", and poorly conceived safety cockpits were "a bold new design by the visionary owner". All meant to cater to some hidden agenda. The beauty of the web, for me, is the absence of this censorship. On the other hand it also provides an audience for every hair brained point of view or distorted/exagerrated "fact" known to man.

T2x

Which is why, my friend, I have made it a policy never to cover more than one offshore race per year. :)Sometimes it's best not to know the politics and just go in and try to find the best "story" for a given feature. I would hate, and I mean hate, to have offshore racing as my "beat," as you did. No thanks—for all the reasons you listed and more.

What constitutes sensitivity also varies with the reader. True story: One day, a subscriber called me after reading one of my boat reviews to tell me I was "a whore" for the manufacturer. The next day, the manufacturer canceled his advertising schedule because I "unfair and harsh" to his product.

Hence my fondness for the expression, "No good deed shall go unpunished."

As for censorship or the lack of it, the Internet does present great opportunities for free expression. That, however, does nothing to guarantee accuracy of information, fairness or ethics. There is at least as much inaccurate information online—look up something you know about on Wikipedia if you don't believe me—as there is accurate information.

That's what makes Seriousoffshore 2.0 (coming soon) so exciting. We have an opportunity to raise the bar. That's very cool.