PDA

View Full Version : Learning to do fiberglass

Nightlife
03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
After reading the thread 2TR. Where can a guy get info on doing fiberglass? There are some things I would like to do to my boat, and I am kind of a do it yourself guy.

phragle
03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Where are you at in michigan? If you bring foreward a specific project, I am sure you will recieve a wealth of information which will begin your knowledge base as well as tips for the proper supplies etc. Im sure there are books out there, but for basic stuff the best way to learn is to develope the itchy scratchies and dive in.

Dr Speed
03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.abycinc.org/educationprograms/comp_boatbuilder.cfm

http://www.landingschool.edu/Composites.html

There are many composite classes for the hobbiest to professional certifications. Here are 2 that specialize in marine.

DollaBill
03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
practice makes perfect :)

THEJOKER
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
www.boatdesign.net

Offshore Ginger
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey guy . i have been doing fiberglass repair for over 37 years now starting out making windmill blades for west system GOUGEON BROTHERS , moved on to Thompson Boats , then S 2 YACHTS , Power Quest doing the mold's along with working at Skater / Douglas marine who i spent many years with . I guess the bottom line is the best experience is hands on because the only way you really are going to learn is by doing it and trust me even people with many years of experience have made mistake's in the past and all you have to do is ask because there really isnt any type of repair that you can not be talked thru . I also live in Mich and just curious where is your location ?

2TR
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
After reading the thread 2TR. Where can a guy get info on doing fiberglass? There are some things I would like to do to my boat, and I am kind of a do it yourself guy.

Come by the shop one weekend when I'm working. I'm no expert (not even close) But I have great people helping me and showing me the right and wrong way to do things.

Offshore Ginger
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
www.boatdesign.net Great site but sometimes can be overwhelming with suggeston's for a first timer allthough i visit that site once or twice a day ,i have to tell you the truth he can get the same info on this forum with out getting Bombarded & all he has to do is ask .

phragle
03-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Dependingon where you are in michigan, you can probably find someone to come over for a couple hours to provide guidance. expect guidance as most of us are more inclined to give guidance while drinking beer as opposed to getting all itchy scratchy.

drpete3
03-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Sounds like you guys are stalking Nightlife. :)

Offshore Ginger
03-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you guys are stalking Nightlife. :)

Ok Jon Claude.............. and do you know Mike Middlebrook who lives in your neck of the woods ?

gcarter
03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I found this book very helpful;
http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-Manual/dp/0071569146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269904635&sr=1-1
It will at least allow you to get a handle on materials, tools, and to get your mind around different types of construction and repairs.
Less than $20.00 w/free shipping.
A cheap education and you don't have to buy anyone any beer.

:seeya:

phragle
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Books or beer... life's full of those tough choices...

Nightlife
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Well I live around the Kalamazoo area, Decatur to be exact. I guess because I am a do it yourself type, and I have an older boat so I am sure I will need to do repairs at some point is my reason to learn.

So I don't know who is close to me, but I would love to learn the ropes if someone is close to me. Who knows the way things are going I may need a new job some day.

Offshore Ginger
03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Well I live around the Kalamazoo area, Decatur to be exact. I guess because I am a do it yourself type, and I have an older boat so I am sure I will need to do repairs at some point is my reason to learn.

So I don't know who is close to me, but I would love to learn the ropes if someone is close to me. Who knows the way things are going I may need a new job some day. I live in Holland Mich which is not that far .