PDA

View Full Version : New 2007 in 2010?

JupiterSunsation
03-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Went to the Palm Beach boat show and Luhrs has new 2007 boats still for sale? At what point is a boat used despite never being titled?

A few LOTO 2008 Formulas were there as well with the same idea. New 08's with full warranty listed as new dealer repos. 08 353 w/496 HO's for 129K, 08 310 SS for 170K. I didn't think they were "steals" but rather a good starting point.

Show was loaded with used boats from dingy to yachts. Midnight Express really needs to clean their molds or simply up there quality control. The gelcoats are full of imperfections to the point the boats built in Taiwan are far superior quality.

Steve2
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Wait until you see what the new catalytic converters are doing to the pricing, basic 20' boats like a Crownline are jumping up another $5k. The public is in for some serious sticker shock, so some of these leftovers may be a much better deal than many think!

Wrinkleface
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
sad:(

Magicfloat
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
While the cat motors are a downer,actual costs are about $1800 for a small block,$3000 for a big block,and blue motors are exempt this year. I bought as many non cat motors as I could,there are some still out there. Bummer that the govt hit our industry when it is down,stern drives don't pollute the water like they are thinking,but we have to live with it. If you want a new boat,buy quickly while there are some non cat motors available

Steve2
03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
For Clarification purposes, I got my numbers from a boat that had a basic 5.0 carb in it...first, the engine must be upgraded to MPI, then put the catalytics on, and then go from 2009 to 2010 model year...so for simple comparison purposes, the boat went up about $5k (retail) - what is even more scarier, what "if/when" oil goes up again? The costs of resin, plastics and even a simple water test, everything associated with construction/production will go through the roof. :(

Ratickle
03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Why $5000 for the Catalytics? What is the major increased expense vs one for a car?

imco offshore
03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
A catalytic converator retains and amplifies heat so I would guess their must be some kind of cooling system for it ,,,cost ??? just a guess ,,

Magicfloat
03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
A cat convertor for a stern drive engine is totally stupid and unneceassary,but there is nothing we can do about it,we have to pay it. Only Merc and Volvo do it this year,all of the smaller engine builders and Merc Blue motors get a break for now. Soon everything will require it.Chain saws,lawn mowers,leaf blowers,etc.Can't fight it,just adapt.Nothing we can do.

MarylandMark
03-28-2010, 09:00 PM
At what point is a boat used despite never being titled?

I'd say never, but then again we've all most likely seen some 6 month old "new" boats that weren't a nice a some 10 year old boats I've seen.

But still- I'd say until it is titled, it would still be "new" by definition. Now if it were "new" and sitting outside vs "new" and sitting in a showroom, obviously there would be a difference there as well.

I would still expect pricing to be close to a good shape 2007 than a 2011 with wear and tear, or hopefully lack there of and warranty the main selling points.

sledge
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
New 08's with full warranty listed as new dealer repos. 08 353 w/496 HO's for 129K, 08 310 SS for 170K. I didn't think they were "steals" but rather a good starting point.

Those prices are about 50% off. Dealer repo, full warranty, I'd say that's a darn good deal.

We come across this stuff all the time with vintage/classic hulls. Hulls popped one year but not MSO'd/titled until a year or two later. If it wasn't a demo, it's still "new"/not used, just old stock.

Perlmudder
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Went to the Palm Beach boat show and Luhrs has new 2007 boats still for sale? At what point is a boat used despite never being titled?

A few LOTO 2008 Formulas were there as well with the same idea. New 08's with full warranty listed as new dealer repos. 08 353 w/496 HO's for 129K, 08 310 SS for 170K. I didn't think they were "steals" but rather a good starting point.

Show was loaded with used boats from dingy to yachts. Midnight Express really needs to clean their molds or simply up there quality control. The gelcoats are full of imperfections to the point the boats built in Taiwan are far superior quality.

I was gunna head up to the show, how was it?