PDA

View Full Version : Which Boat Runs Better In Rougher Water..33 PP Or 33 AT

Jassman
03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
First off, Im not trying to start a war..Im doing some research for a buddy who is looking at another 33 foot boat that I dont want him to buy. I suggested these two models, and have been on both, but only 1-2's...and dont have enough seat time to answer his questions properly. As to comfort and size I gave the nod to AT.. as to looks I choose PP.. Which boat is quicker and handles various types of water...better.. Thanks for the help. Jeff

DollaBill
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM
never been on an AT but the PP is a sweet ride

DaveP
03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I would definately go with the 33PP! Blasted off of 8ft waves in Lauderdale inlet in one many years ago. It was an awesome piece!

Indy
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I've never been in a 33 AT but I'm sure it's a sweet ride. Owned a 33" PP for a few years, it was my dream boat and it delivered in all areas. I ran it in in Long Island Sound which can snot up quite nicely and the ride in 3's & 4's and the occasional hole is solid and predictable. Not sure I'd be out in 8s like DaveP in a 33', I might have some sackage shrinkage in those conditions!!

My boat with 502s was a mid 70s boat with stock 26s. My buddies 33' with 525s and stock 30s ran a consistent 87, he might have nicked a mph or two more but not with me in the boat. When I'd hit those bigger holes the boat handled them nicely, never a rattle, just a solid boat that inspired confidence when you got a bit over your head in the nasty seas many of us run into from time to time. It's a conventional hull but runs just a few ticks slower than a similarly powered Fountain 35'. 1997 and up is the vintage to get if you can, a number of modifications to the hull had been completed by that time and it was as good as you could get until the closure of the company.

It has timeless lines IMHO coupled with quality construction and good performance, hard to go wrong.

JupiterSunsation
03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
First off, Im not trying to start a war..Im doing some research for a buddy who is looking at another 33 foot boat that I dont want him to buy. I suggested these two models, and have been on both, but only 1-2's...and dont have enough seat time to answer his questions properly. As to comfort and size I gave the nod to AT.. as to looks I choose PP.. Which boat is quicker and handles various types of water...better.. Thanks for the help. Jeff

Not sure the boats are both at the same price point currently. The PP's have been out of production since 2005 and AT's 33 is newer than that for sure.
You can probably score 2 33 PP's for what you can buy a used 33 AT for.

If I was looking for old school it would be the PP and if I was looking for an all around great boat, layout etc the nod would go to AT.

For the record I have never been on an AT.....

clayinaustin
03-28-2010, 01:38 PM
uh, why not just find smoother water? :rolleyes:

hotjava66
03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
as long as cabin space and comfort is not important the PP is a great boat

POWERPLAY33
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
cabin is pretty roomy in a PP...

Steve2
03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
The Powerplay "design" has a proven heritage that goes way back...that boat was unstoppable in rough waters and owns many championships - a lot of people used to consider the Powerplay a smaller version of the Apache back in its day.

Steve 1
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I was banging rub rails with the 32 Cobra Harry O in the Gulf Stream, Dam fine running boat and was talking to Joel about getting one a couple days later.

MetalBrosRacing
03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
This will magically transform into an Apache thread in 3 2 1..................... :)

cosmic12
03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Jass, you try'n to draw in the Cult here?:rolleyes:

As I am sure you know his needs and wallet size.
Price and availability= PP, thier are only 3 or 4 33 A.T.'s

Cabin /comfert/ amennities/ along with very respectable performance A.T.

Pats gona get you for this ya know:rolleyes:

hotjava66
03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
cabin is pretty roomy in a PP...

wasnt bashing, im a big fan of the 33PP but compared to the A/T the cabin is tight. Im pretty tall and basically have to lie down in a PP cabin.

GENERAL LEE
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
I've been in both boats, 2 AT's, & 1 PP of this size, and would have to say they both run almost identical to each other, with the AT getting the nod overall. One of the AT's had around 550-600hp a side, and the other had over 1000hp a side....http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com). The PP had 500's.

Comparing strictly the hull design & lines, I think the PP is currently the better looking of the two. But JS' comment earlier about PP's being out of production since 05, also means PP's are starting to look dated.

They both run like they are 33's, meaning they don't feel like 38's, or like 29's, like some boats can. Your friend would be in a great boat with either one really, and depending on if I could find one of the REALLY clean, updated ones, I'd probably buy the Powerplay just looking at MY personal boating needs.

PS: I have a friend that has a 33 AT with new 496's in it, trailer, & 6 pack seats if you'd want to forward it on to him.

ActiveThunder
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I think there's some confusion.

You have the 32 AT which is the same as the 33 PP pretty much. Different deck look and freeboard.

The 33 is a full foot + longer with the patented step DDC hull.

I'm sure JJ knows this but wasn't clear at the time since his mind was on fertilizing his lawn at the time he posted.... Something that takes an hour.

Jassman
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I've been in both boats, 2 AT's, & 1 PP of this size, and would have to say they both run almost identical to each other, with the AT getting the nod overall. One of the AT's had around 550-600hp a side, and the other had over 1000hp a side....http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com). The PP had 500's.

Comparing strictly the hull design & lines, I think the PP is currently the better looking of the two. But JS' comment earlier about PP's being out of production since 05, also means PP's are starting to look dated.

They both run like they are 33's, meaning they don't feel like 38's, or like 29's, like some boats can. Your friend would be in a great boat with either one really, and depending on if I could find one of the REALLY clean, updated ones, I'd probably buy the Powerplay just looking at MY personal boating needs.

PS: I have a friend that has a 33 AT with new 496's in it, trailer, & 6 pack seats if you'd want to forward it on to him.

Thanks for the info..I didnt know AT built a 6-pack.. I know he's not up for that...but I will run it by him. Thanks for the help. Jeff

cosmic12
03-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I think there's some confusion.

You have the 32 AT which is the same as the 33 PP pretty much. Different deck look and freeboard.

The 33 is a full foot + longer with the patented step DDC hull.

I'm sure JJ knows this but wasn't clear at the time since his mind was on fertilizing his lawn at the time he posted.... Something that takes an hour.

Pat great to see ya here:cheers2:

You sure it was the lawn and not some custom pizza:rolleyes:

BUIZILLA
03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
But JS' comment earlier about PP's being out of production since 05, also means PP's are starting to look dated.
how does a boat like that look or become dated?

Sydwayz
03-28-2010, 09:54 PM

I believe you are referring to the Jesse James boat with the 6 pack, right Brandon?

If so, that boat is a 32 Active Thunder, and has had a couple of facelifts since it was built. The last 32 Active Thunder was made around 2002.

The 33 Active Thunder is a 9/10 scale version of the 37 Active Thunder, including the DDC step hull. The first one was produced in 2006.

The 32 and 33 Active Thunders are completely different boats and don't share a single thing, except the name.

I can't comment on a ride comparison, as I've never been out on a 33PP (just a 38PP). I think R'Addiction has been on boat boats.

Gladhe8er
03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I have been in a 33 PP. Rides exactly like a bigger version of my boat(28 AT). 33 PP will run 73-76 with 496 HO's.

nxfirebird
03-28-2010, 10:47 PM
..Im doing some research for a buddy who is looking at another 33 foot boat that I dont want him to buy.

so what is the boat he's looking at that you don't like?

AIR TIME
03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
THE 33 AT has a very nice ride I have been lucky enough to have Steve take me out in some pokerruns with aprox 5 people on board and hit high 80s in the AT. also been in rough water in it and the boat runs like its on rails nice and level and no chinewalk with that hull design. lots of room with the side by side seats in the cockpit and cabin has nice bath and sitting area. heard 525s 90 plus without some heavy guys on it:sifone:. love the 33pp but if I had the cash 33 AT with konrad ace drives and 800hp motors by Dean Gellner or bigger blower motors like my 572 motor going on the dyno next week I hope he's out of ohio, also my old builder Jim Ried out of whitman mass he built me over the years a 502 585 hp a 509 647 hp and a 509 670hp motor over 7years and has a nice 598 na 800hp package for 16,000 both good builders that build big power that lasts and that konrad ace looks killer and would last a long time with twin 800s, the AT would run 110 to 115 I would think and nice simple 800hp NAs under the hood carbed or efi would be cheaper than 600 or 700 mercs.

Jesse James
03-29-2010, 12:28 AM
tough call... these are the two I had it narrowed down to when i bought my 32 AT ( Jesse James) as mentioned before it has had a couple face lifts since new.... but last time i was in it it was still rock solid... ran 88 mph radar at shootout with stock 500hp and 102 mph with 650 hp..... would buy the boat back in a heartbeat..... and would even love to build a new one one day.... one of the most fun boats i have ever been in...

Gordo
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Where's the JJ boat now?