PDA

View Full Version : Time for another V bottom speed record?

Tank
03-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Not an attempt to self promote here. I really would like to know what your thoughts are on this?

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/

JupiterSunsation
03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
XXX is for sale at Shogren with no power.......Chief is building some big, reliable and fast motors. It could be a cheap challenge compared to what Cig spent building their last kilo boat!

It would be fun to see but I would rather see manufacturers spending time/money on boats that I can actually buy..... Give me a boat like XXX for free with big power and the only thing I could afford on it is the fuel (in limited quantities!).

phragle
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
The big question is why? When the market was rolling, the kilo scene had its marketing value. Today, that market is much smaller and the people that are buying know what they want. That precludes the factories from playing, the private sector? Sure you could build a boat specifically for it, but then what are you going to do with it when your done?? Race it? is the potatoe chip going to hold up? how big is the extreme vee class?

masher44
03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
XXX is 7 year old technology. I would have thought OL would have a vessel that could make a really big run towards it. I know that have run some huge numbers with the newer canopy boats but never anything sanctioned. I bet the economy has them thinking to wait but their new canopy boats are just the best looking Vs ever made IMO. I would bet that 52V thats for sale, stripped down with some big turbos would be an interesting run. Just dont think the millions poured into a project like that would pay off for the company right now other than a trophy in the lobby.

JupiterSunsation
03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Just dont think the millions poured into a project like that would pay off for the company right now other than a trophy in the lobby.

That was my point in using the XXX hull and some new big power to make it happen. Then it can be a poker run boat, two time kilo winner etc......

I do think a new 44 or 52 OL would be a weapon for sure! :sifone:

phragle
03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Not saying XXX isnt a nice boat, but after seeing things play out in the last couple years... If something went wrong, I don't think your going to be alive to say 'ok, that didnt work'. To run that fast with any sense of confidence, your going to have to start from scratch.

sy goldberg
03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I think that it's a miracle there were no accidents or injuries involving the prior record attempts.I think that more record attempts are only tempting fate and the high performance boat industry doesn't need any more negative publicity.

Wahoo 214
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Has anyone survived a serious incident at 180 mph +?

redhotsommer
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Reg has stated numerous times that he was just waiting for somebody to up his record and he had a 200-mph hull ready to rock...:lurk5:

Ratickle
03-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Reg has stated numerous times that he was just waiting for somebody to up his record and he had a 200-mph hull ready to rock...:lurk5:

Now that's a popcorn statement if I ever read one.....:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

DollaBill
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM

It was true at one point. Don't know about that now with the state of the economy

Wrinkleface
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

what a great way 2 get the company back in the spotlight!!! Do it now!! Up the ante!!!:driving:

Tank
03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
The big question is why? When the market was rolling, the kilo scene had its marketing value. Today, that market is much smaller and the people that are buying know what they want. That precludes the factories from playing, the private sector? Sure you could build a boat specifically for it, but then what are you going to do with it when your done?? Race it? is the potatoe chip going to hold up? how big is the extreme vee class?

I would imagine plastering "worlds fasted V bottom" in your ads has it's marketing advanteges in any economy. It had worked well for Reggie for Many years.

I'm still suprised no one has gone after the record, especially OL. Mike was hungry for the record at one time and the record could go to show the enhancements his boats have gainedin build technology and speeds.

phragle
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I think I saw him unloading it on Pawn Stars to buy toilet paper for the shop bathroom......

masher44
03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
That was my point in using the XXX hull and some new big power to make it happen. Then it can be a poker run boat, two time kilo winner etc......

I do think a new 44 or 52 OL would be a weapon for sure! :sifone:

How fast has XXX been? Didnt it run 125 with 1075s? Thats a huge gap to close. You buy it and I'll drive it. Therefore you wont risk injury :cheers2:

phragle
03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I would imagine plastering "worlds fasted V bottom" in your ads has it's marketing advanteges in any economy. It had worked well for Reggie for Many years.

I'm still suprised no one has gone after the record, especially OL. Mike was hungry for the record at one time and the record could go to show the enhancements his boats have gainedin build technology and speeds.

Those claims would sway someone new shopping. The palyers left in the upper markets these days are generally not new. They have been around the scene and know what they want. Fiore has his customers on existing reputation alone. If your selling million dollar boats, a catchy magazine ad isn't going to make much difference to your clients. Reggie's marketingclaims weren't to sell 47's... they were to impress the new boaters who were in the market for a 33 or 35 for the cool factor. Those people are now busy looking for new jobs and trying to keep their house from being foreclosed on. Seasoned boaters know that you can make a custom hull, throw huge power in it and go really fast... and that it really doesn't mean much in correlation to the boat Shogren has on the sales floor.

Big Time
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I think that it's a miracle there were no accidents or injuries involving the prior record attempts.I think that more record attempts are only tempting fate and the high performance boat industry doesn't need any more negative publicity.

It is going to bite someone eventually.

If you ask me, I'm not really all that impressed with top speed because you can basically throw HUGE power into anything to get it to go fast. If I am an educated consumer shopping for a "fast" boat I would be more interested in how fast each of the boats goes with the same power...Let's say OL vs. Fountain w/1075's.

But then again, people don't buy boats like ours because we want to be last to the dock so having that "record" is a selling point.

Magic Medicine
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I think I saw him unloading it on Pawn Stars to buy toilet paper for the shop bathroom......

sure you weren't looking in the mirror:eek:

mikes280
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
If the economy was good and i was looking to buy what would mean more to me is how fast a given boat is with stock merc power. Like lets say 36 ft boat with 525 power or 700 power. The boat would have to be a off the shelf piece with full cabin. Also what cruse speed and how much fuel at cruse. This way i could look at a performance and say OK this 36 will run 65mph at curse and burn this much fuel per hour. There are just to many things going on for the v-speed record to mater, to start with that is not a boat that most of us will ever own and it is not a boat i can do poker runs and play in on the weekends.
I was at Regieville when he set the record and it was awesome to be there and see it done it gave me a whole new respect for him, does it sell boats maybe a few but my bet is it does not make that much difference now.

phragle
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't have a bathroom in the garage, just a bush around the back.....

Smarty
03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Great topic. I too had been wondering why someone has not tried to break this record. I would like to Skater (or a rich onwer of Skater) to step up, and give a go at it with their V-Bottom. I would be A-OK with a Cigarette too. It would generate alot of interest, I hope someone steps and attempts to break the record.

Wrinkleface
03-25-2010, 03:00 PM

same dif!:USA:

Ted
03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
If the economy was good and i was looking to buy what would mean more to me is how fast a given boat is with stock merc power. Like lets say 36 ft boat with 525 power or 700 power. The boat would have to be a off the shelf piece with full cabin. Also what cruse speed and how much fuel at cruse. This way i could look at a performance and say OK this 36 will run 65mph at curse and burn this much fuel per hour. There are just to many things going on for the v-speed record to mater, to start with that is not a boat that most of us will ever own and it is not a boat i can do poker runs and play in on the weekends.
I was at Regieville when he set the record and it was awesome to be there and see it done it gave me a whole new respect for him, does it sell boats maybe a few but my bet is it does not make that much difference now.

What you are describing is the draw behind "F" class racing, seeing who wins with equal power definitely sells some boats.

phragle
03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Not that it's my market, but if someone made a big V bottom, that ran 150 fully loaded, genstet, hot water, microwave, tv etc.. that you could actually stand up in down below, run on pump gas, go 2 seasons wthout blowing something up and could handle rough water.. It might sell a few more boats than dropping monster motors with a 15 minute lifespan into a bare carbon hull.

Wrinkleface
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
What you are describing is the draw behind "F" class racing, seeing who wins with equal power definitely sells some boats.

Right on Ted, I enjoyed watch'n the F1 & F2 races back on Speedvision in the day!!:USA:

Ted
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Right on Ted, I enjoyed watch'n the F1 & F2 races back on Speedvision in the day!!:USA:

When we had the APBA race here in Baltimore we had like 8-10 of each class running, it was pretty wild coming into the first turn:sifone: :sifone:

fund razor
03-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Anybody who is planning on using the "fastest V bottom" marketing method better also be using the "everybody gets financed forever for $999 a month on 35 foot boats" plan.

Of course the downside is flooding the market with repo'd, uber-financed boats and having the company go under the minute that the economy tanks.

But hey... you have those bragging rights. :D

mikes280
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
What you are describing is the draw behind "F" class racing, seeing who wins with equal power definitely sells some boats.Yep and to me what killed it was all the cheating. The different sanction bodies did not do there homework so they could catch these guys so it killed the class but it was some good racing.

JupiterSunsation
03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
How fast has XXX been? Didnt it run 125 with 1075s? Thats a huge gap to close. You buy it and I'll drive it. Therefore you wont risk injury :cheers2:

It held the kilo record when OL owned/operated the boat @ 160+++. That was with Sterling 1550's. When it was sold as a PR boat it had 1075's making a 125-130 mph boat.

mikes280
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
It held the kilo record when OL owned/operated the boat @ 160+++. That was with Sterling 1550's. When it was sold as a PR boat it had 1075's making a 125-130 mph boat.i don't think it ever held the record it had gps speed claims of those speeds but did it have the offical record

BBB725
03-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Great topic. I too had been wondering why someone has not tried to break this record. I would like to Skater (or a rich onwer of Skater) to step up, and give a go at it with their V-Bottom. I would be A-OK with a Cigarette too. It would generate alot of interest, I hope someone steps and attempts to break the record.

What ever happened to the orange Young Performance 399 Skater?

Davidmnc
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM

You may want to shave that. :leaving:

Hammer01
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Not that it's my market, but if someone made a big V bottom, that ran 150 fully loaded, genstet, hot water, microwave, tv etc.. that you could actually stand up in down below, run on pump gas, go 2 seasons wthout blowing something up and could handle rough water.. It might sell a few more boats than dropping monster motors with a 15 minute lifespan into a bare carbon hull.

I agree with this and more importantly, I doubt Reggie will have free reigns any more to blow $1.5 million to prove this point again. Could be wrong, but that is why they were bought out due to stupid expenditures that truly do not offer a lot of value to the end consumer. You put enough horsepower on a Jon Boat and it will go fast.

fund razor
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
You put enough horsepower on a Jon Boat and it will go fast. Make it a Jon Boat with a 50 thousand dollar paint job and you can call it "performance boating" out west. :)

JupiterSunsation
03-25-2010, 06:31 PM
i don't think it ever held the record it had gps speed claims of those speeds but did it have the offical record

They thought they had the record......

cut and pasted from OSO:
Outerlimits Certified As the Worlds Fastest V-Bottom…AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bristol RI – February 6, 2004 – In a certified speed trial, sanctioned by the National Powerboat Association on Friday, 2/6/2004, Mike Fiore, president of Outerlimits Powerboats, averaged a speed of 161.29 MPH for a kilometer verified on ‘ state-of-the-art’ GPS in his new 47’ canopied GTX, named “XXX”. This run took place on Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island at 3:00 PM EST, February 6, 2004 on a chilly, drizzly afternoon.

After travelling north over a mile out of the channel at 161.88 MPH and returning south at 160.7 MPH, the average speed was 161.29 MPH. This makes the 47 GTX the first v-bottom to eclipse the 160 MPH barrier in an officially sanctioned event. This run was confirmed by co-pilot, Billy Frenz, Executive Director of the NPBA (National Powerboat Association). The GTX is powered by twin stock 1450 HP Sterling engines with No. 6 Merc Speedmasters and Hering propellers. Many of Outerlimits boats are outfitted with Sterling engines because they are some of the finest, fastest and most reliable engines out there.

Despite the fact that Outerlimits already holds the Official V-Bottom Kilo Record of 149.7 MPH in a 42’ GTX model, also powered with twin 1450 HP Sterlings, Merc Speedmasters and Hering props, they felt the need to raise the bar. This previous record was set in Washington, North Carolina on October 3, 2003 and officiated by Poker Runs of America.

“What a rush!!!” exclaimed Billy Frenz as he emerged from the cockpit after the run. “This boat is going to disappoint a lot of Cat owners at our New York City Powerboat Rally”, referring to the annual June event held on the Hudson River that determines the fastest catamarans and fastest v-bottoms.

“We are absolutely thrilled with our achievement of breaking our own record” stated Mike Fiore. “Just in case anyone had any doubts about the last record we attained being a one time event, we wanted to set the record straight. And again, we accomplished this in a pleasure boat that you can buy.” Outerlimits Powerboats are known not only for their beauty, design and quality, but in addition, their outstanding performance. This record only enhances Outerlimits prominence in the industry and once again proves Outerlimits is the ultimate in high performance offshore powerboats.

For further information on the complete line of boats that they offer, contact Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats, 91 Broad Common Road, Bristol, RI 02809 (401) 253-7300 or visit their website at www.outerlimitspowerboats.com.

DollaBill
03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Make it a Jon Boat with a 50 thousand dollar paint job and you can call it "performance boating" out west. :)

LMAO. Havasu...................

Chris
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
If I wanted ultra fast, I'd be over at dragboats.com oogling top fuel hydros.

Isn't the sport "offshore"? Last I looked, it was bumpy out there. These top speed efforts are like running Baja trucks on asphalt.

Bobcat
03-25-2010, 06:54 PM

You rich B A S T A R D , I'd kill for a bush to pee behind !:mad:

Tank
03-25-2010, 06:56 PM

I thought F class was the best racing I'd ever seen! Why o why did they pull the F class races? Seemed like the perfect mix of user friendly for racers on a budget and a proving ground for manufacturers

But I asume this is a whole other topic

Hot for Teacher
03-25-2010, 09:32 PM
if i wanted ultra fast, i'd be over at dragboats.com oogling top fuel hydros.

Isn't the sport "offshore"? Last i looked, it was bumpy out there. These top speed efforts are like running baja trucks on asphalt.

x2

POWERPLAY33
03-25-2010, 10:03 PM
It doesn't really matter fast they go, I'm more impressed when it gets down right snotty and you can really let her run!:sifone:

rainmn
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
These top speed efforts are like running Baja trucks on asphalt.

That's the best analogy I've heard in a while. :cheers2:

And as for Reggie's "World's fastest v-bottom ads" selling boats, did they really? I'm not doubting that they moved a lot of boats in the good years, but how can you really know if those ads had anything to do with it?

I'm more inclined to go with fund's take...that it was the "You can buy any boat on the lot for $999 a month for the rest of your life" piece of the puzzle that moved the boats.

WOTW2E
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
What ever happened to the orange Young Performance 399 Skater?

x2. Surely that thing had to be 150 plus, right?

Slandrew
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
:USA: 2 way pass 171.883 MPH go for it!:rolleyes:

T2x
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
May the Schwartz be with you...............

GENERAL LEE
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
It would be fun to see but I would rather see manufacturers spending time/money on boats that I can actually buy.....

I'm not sure I follow you completely?

Most boat companies, or any companies for that matter, are focused on building boats & products their customers can buy....?

GENERAL LEE
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
The whole safety argument is pretty irrelevant. World records typically don't get set or broken with safety being the top priority.

Chris
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Most boat companies, or any companies for that matter, are focused on building boats & products their customers can buy....?

Everybody wants a new Top Gun with 525's for $80 grand. Me too.

The guy with the Piper Cub wants an $80k Citation too. It's not just "us".

GENERAL LEE
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Everybody wants a new Top Gun with 525's for $80 grand. Me too.

The guy with the Piper Cub wants an $80k Citation too. It's not just "us".

Yeah, but it almost seems like there have been some "real" posts arguing this, instead of "just saying". Similar to the argument we discussed about some family boaters complaining about Powerboat not covering the ski boat market?

masher44
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
The most relevant record need to be

39 Gun with 700s vs
41 OL with 700s vs
etc etc

Same boating "class" with same power in same conditions with the same operators reporting back to summarize the overall performance of each boat, in the same conditions with the same pilots on the same day.

Kinda like Top Gear on water. Same track, same car, same track driver (that we know of). Only conditions there that differ are wet/dry.

Thats why I dont pay much attention to a Vee running 150 in fresh water 2 footers vs a Vee running 150 in salt, 6 months later, with a wind, a one foot chop with different drivers etc etc.

Apples vs. Tangerines

Chris
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I suppose the best I can do is this-

"I wish gas was a buck a gallon."

Unfortunately, it's not. The primary reason is that there's no reason for it to be, since there's no shortage of people willing to pay three bucks for it. Same in the perfomance boating world. If there were manufacturing efficiencies out there that could lower prices and stimulate sales, you'd have seen them by now. Of course, some manufacturers have cut selling prices on some upper end boats, but the meat-and-potatoes guys are stuck where they're at. I'm sure like many industries, boats have gone out at some deep discounts in order to keep te lights on. But if you're not making money, it won't last long. That goes from the resin and cloth suppliers, the hardware guys and everyone else.

masher44
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
They thought they had the record......

cut and pasted from OSO:
Outerlimits Certified As the Worlds Fastest V-Bottom…AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bristol RI – February 6, 2004 – In a certified speed trial, sanctioned by the National Powerboat Association on Friday, 2/6/2004, Mike Fiore, president of Outerlimits Powerboats, averaged a speed of 161.29 MPH for a kilometer verified on ‘ state-of-the-art’ GPS in his new 47’ canopied GTX, named “XXX”. This run took place on Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island at 3:00 PM EST, February 6, 2004 on a chilly, drizzly afternoon.

After travelling north over a mile out of the channel at 161.88 MPH and returning south at 160.7 MPH, the average speed was 161.29 MPH. This makes the 47 GTX the first v-bottom to eclipse the 160 MPH barrier in an officially sanctioned event. This run was confirmed by co-pilot, Billy Frenz, Executive Director of the NPBA (National Powerboat Association). The GTX is powered by twin stock 1450 HP Sterling engines with No. 6 Merc Speedmasters and Hering propellers. Many of Outerlimits boats are outfitted with Sterling engines because they are some of the finest, fastest and most reliable engines out there.

Despite the fact that Outerlimits already holds the Official V-Bottom Kilo Record of 149.7 MPH in a 42’ GTX model, also powered with twin 1450 HP Sterlings, Merc Speedmasters and Hering props, they felt the need to raise the bar. This previous record was set in Washington, North Carolina on October 3, 2003 and officiated by Poker Runs of America.

“What a rush!!!” exclaimed Billy Frenz as he emerged from the cockpit after the run. “This boat is going to disappoint a lot of Cat owners at our New York City Powerboat Rally”, referring to the annual June event held on the Hudson River that determines the fastest catamarans and fastest v-bottoms.

“We are absolutely thrilled with our achievement of breaking our own record” stated Mike Fiore. “Just in case anyone had any doubts about the last record we attained being a one time event, we wanted to set the record straight. And again, we accomplished this in a pleasure boat that you can buy.” Outerlimits Powerboats are known not only for their beauty, design and quality, but in addition, their outstanding performance. This record only enhances Outerlimits prominence in the industry and once again proves Outerlimits is the ultimate in high performance offshore powerboats.

For further information on the complete line of boats that they offer, contact Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats, 91 Broad Common Road, Bristol, RI 02809 (401) 253-7300 or visit their website at www.outerlimitspowerboats.com.

I would find it hard to believe those were "stock" Sterlings

cowisl
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
The most relevant record need to be

39 Gun with 700s vs
41 OL with 700s vs
etc etc

Same boating "class" with same power in same conditions with the same operators reporting back to summarize the overall performance of each boat, in the same conditions with the same pilots on the same day.

Kinda like Top Gear on water. Same track, same car, same track driver (that we know of). Only conditions there that differ are wet/dry.

Thats why I dont pay much attention to a Vee running 150 in fresh water 2 footers vs a Vee running 150 in salt, 6 months later, with a wind, a one foot chop with different drivers etc etc.

Apples vs. Tangerines

I would love to see this as well...

masher44
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I suppose the best I can do is this-

"I wish gas was a buck a gallon."

Unfortunately, it's not. The primary reason is that there's no reason for it to be, since there's no shortage of people willing to pay three bucks for it. Same in the perfomance boating world. If there were manufacturing efficiencies out there that could lower prices and stimulate sales, you'd have seen them by now. Of course, some manufacturers have cut selling prices on some upper end boats, but the meat-and-potatoes guys are stuck where they're at. I'm sure like many industries, boats have gone out at some deep discounts in order to keep te lights on. But if you're not making money, it won't last long. That goes from the resin and cloth suppliers, the hardware guys and everyone else.

We got spoiled over the last 8 years. Gas didnt slow down boat buying. People did more floating and less boating. You could walk in and sign a paper and take a new MTI home with you and finance insurance, paint, etc and take an extra 20K for the the Poker Run season.

Financing changed. 110 has always been 7.50+ a gallon here, which most of the bigger boats run on. And honestly when gas was $5 a gallon on the water, people still boated and the lake was busier than ever along with boat builders/dealers. It just cost an extra hundy to fuel up for the weekend, for moat boats. More so, people cut out the 15$ drinks at the club afterwards and just came to my house for free grey goose. :toetap05::sifone:

Economy and banking falls apart, and people lose jobs, that stopped boat buying. Even this year there are so few new bigger boats being bought. Sure the deep guys are buying buy the people "moving up" are gone for the most part. That is what is killing the industry.

AIR TIME
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought F class was the best racing I'd ever seen! Why o why did they pull the F class races? Seemed like the perfect mix of user friendly for racers on a budget and a proving ground for manufacturers

But I asume this is a whole other topic

I had a friend that raced aprox 99 to 04 in F2 in two different formula 38s 1st one was the 500, second 525 I think he said there were guys cheating and it was150,000 for each boat or so if you did a rebuy on the 3rd yr instead of paying 200 plus for a boat. but he had bottom troubles with the 1st and the second one ran better but he got out boats went to old stock cars from nascar 60s and 70s he bought a couple to race. what sucked for me I could of bought the second one for 70,000:) in 05 or 06 the boat was a 02 but I was in the middle of all the surgeries I had from 04 to 08 6 total, so there was no way my wife would let me buy it. now Iwill have almost that much in my saber this spring:eek:. I just the motor is done in a few weeks so I can run some p4 races. that 38 sold for 79,000 and went over seas I think it races in p1 evo class.but the 1st one blew stringers out and got repaired, second only had minor issues so for 70,000 that was a good deal.

Knot 4 Me
03-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Everybody wants a new Top Gun with 525's for $80 grand. Me too. And be able to finance it with no money down for 20 years at 3.5% interest. Oh, and it appreciates in value too!

Chris
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Back to speed runs...

T2x said it well in the discussion of the Copeland Phenomenon boat. There comes a point where you hit the wall relative to the design of an offshore boat. There's more to it than bolting in more power and pushing the sticks further down. And I think we all recognize the fact that it's pretty likely we're close to that point at these speeds. Myself, I don't really care who's the fastest, and I don't really want to see anyone die trying.

mikes280
03-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Back to speed runs...

T2x said it well in the discussion of the Copeland Phenomenon boat. There comes a point where you hit the wall relative to the design of an offshore boat. There's more to it than bolting in more power and pushing the sticks further down. And I think we all recognize the fact that it's pretty likely we're close to that point at these speeds. Myself, I don't really care who's the fastest, and I don't really want to see anyone die trying.

agreed , if you look at the boat Regie set the record in on it's fast pass there is nothing in the water boat did not need steps cause they were in the air

Smarty
03-26-2010, 02:34 PM
agreed , if you look at the boat Regie set the record in on it's fast pass there is nothing in the water boat did not need steps cause they were in the air

Reggie drove that record setting boat just he like he used to drive the tunnel boats. That is exactly what that pass looked like when he set the record looked like with the bow way up in the air. Reminded me of the an Allison or Hyrdostream during a high speed run with bow way in the air, going fast. Records are meant to be broken, I am a risk taker, so so that could explain my interest. I would really like to see someone go for the fastest piston powered catamaran (with race motors, not one/two-pass dragster motors). What is the current cat record for piston power?

I really did enjoy the F-2 racing back, off topic, but it was mentioned earlier, that was a great class of race boats.

BBB725
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Reggie drove that record setting boat just he like he used to drive the tunnel boats. That is exactly what that pass looked like when he set the record looked like with the bow way up in the air. Reminded me of the an Allison or Hyrdostream during a high speed run with bow way in the air, going fast. Records are meant to be broken, I am a risk taker, so so that could explain my interest. I would really like to see someone go for the fastest piston powered catamaran (with race motors, not one/two-pass dragster motors). What is the current cat record for piston power?

I really did enjoy the F-2 racing back, off topic, but it was mentioned earlier, that was a great class of race boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2CND0KAA4

Tank
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I like this quote so much I had to steal it. It sure rings true:

"Records are the true marks for progress"...

fabio buzzi

JupiterSunsation
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Not when they are trying to build stuff like this! If Skip builds 50 boats and just spent 2mm in R+D for a kilo boat it will add 40K in "overhead" to each of his boats sold to customers. Now that 40K surcharge doesn't make my stock boat any faster, better looking with new interior/gauges or paint. So my point was don't waste money on stuff like this if it will trickle down to higher costs for the customer with no improvements on the retail boats!

And to Chris's point of 80K Top Guns........yeah put me on that list too! :sifone:

fund razor
03-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Is it too late to get in on that $80k Citation? :)

nxfirebird
03-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Not an attempt to self promote here. I really would like to know what your thoughts are on this?

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/

it would be about time that builders get back to what these boats are all about.
i'd really like to see some new boats try for the kilo record. as for the safety issues... if it was safe it wouldn't be worth doing, i don't want to see anybody die but it happens, the end. i've drag raced, and raced sport bikes 20+ years. knowing you could die and cheating the crash is what gives you the adrenaline rush that makes the ride worth it.

the fact that most don't have the sack to do something is what makes it cool.

BTW, so what if it adds a little over head to the boats, if everybody could afford a Cig, O/L, Skater, what ever, they wouldn't be worth having. you want an "affordable boat" go buy a Tahoe Q4.

phragle
03-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Nxfirebird, welcome to Serious!

nxfirebird
03-28-2010, 10:39 PM

thank you!:USA:

T2x
03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
"Records are the true marks for progress"...

fabio buzzi

Yes...but he was probably talking about Beatles Albums.

I could be wrong of course...but I always had a hard time understanding Fabio. Aside from being the funniest man in Offshore racing.....he was also the guy who told me during an interview that "Cats were the ultimate design of the future".....a few hours after saying exactly the same thing about Vee bottoms. (we have both interviews on tape).

T2x
03-29-2010, 09:00 AM
it would be about time that builders get back to what these boats are all about.

I agree....let's get back to building OFFSHORE performance boats and set records that mean something....like around Long Island...Miami-Nassau.... Miami-Key West......Bahama's 500...and stop f*cking around with records that are better attempted by Unlimited Hydros or drag boats.

T2x

Knot 4 Me
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree....let's get back to building OFFSHORE performance boats and set records that mean something....like around Long Island...Miami-Nassau.... Miami-Key West......Bahama's 500...and stop f*cking around with records that are better attempted by Unlimited Hydros or drag boats.

T2xAmen.

Shawn
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level. Might as well buy a west coast boat if you just want to go fast.

DollaBill
03-29-2010, 01:09 PM

T2x

totally agree

BRAD SCHOENWALD
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM

T2x

Miami-Bimini is our start. we are developing others right now.

Premier Perf
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level.

Very well said.....cant agree with you anymore

Smarty
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Very well said.....cant agree with you anymore

Well said, the Fountain that set the speed record was a successful raceboat, good catch.

Beak Boater
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Record attempts may be useless in most minds as marketing tools, if it were not for the efforts of those in the industry to raise the bar, and push the envelope would the industry be where it is today? It could be Mercury Marine developing more horsepower, or V and Cat designers making faster and more efficent hulls, to prop manufactures improving age old designs, on shape and blade configuration.
10 years ago 100 mph boats were rare, unless it was a stripped down race boat. Now they are fairly common. The industry has grown due to manufacturers pushing each other, whether its a speed record, endurance record, or racing title. Did anything useful come out of Outerlimits, Cigarette, and Fountains record attempts that was applied to their customers products? I'm sure they learned something. Did it change the products? who knows.
If they didnt continue to raise the bar, we would all still be running around thinking 70 mph on the water was fast.

Slandrew
03-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level. Might as well buy a west coast boat if you just want to go fast.Define big water I'll define it you don't get caught in big water :eek:I don't care who's hull your driving!:bump:

DAREDEVIL
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Well said, the Fountain that set the speed record was a successful raceboat, good catch.

Not to hurt anybody ,,,but i seen that boat in 4-6 footers at over 120 MPH easy....LIKE ON RAILS .. is all i can say.

Even smaller ..like the 42's are not bad either.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SSBsD7o944

Smarty
03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Fast in the rough when racing, fast in the Kilo. I like it.

Flat Rate
03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Not to start a never ending war but 3 times in Fountains have won first overall in races and ANY race fan has to admit that the OLD Rio Roses 42 kicked ass and Cat Killer even though it has engine gremlins it eats up rough water. There were some BIG cat racers that said that boat carried the mail.

Wrinkleface
03-29-2010, 10:32 PM

:iagree::seeya:

Lubejobs42
03-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Bill and I love to piss each other off but it's a friendly rivalry. (i can't speak for him but I really like Bill):kiss:

If it wasn't for Bill I would be bored. For me it keeps it interesting, exciting and fun!

Face it, all of us that have these money pits are a little bit off! We love the rush of the speed as well as the competition. Some of the most memorable times in the sport were competitive rivalry's. XXX vs Cat Killer, Big Thunder vs CMS etc, Geico vs Bud Select etc.

If people didn't push the limits over the years where would the sport be now??

I say if a record is within your reach you should go for it. Good Luck!!

I still think doing the Bimini race is the best competion for these Offshore boats. Running the the open ocean where there is more to it then who can put the most power in your boat. It test the whole package. The boat, the motors as well as the ability of the guys running the boat.

Anyone that wants to test their boats ability as well as their own should register for the Biini run!!

DAREDEVIL
03-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Not to start a never ending war but 3 times in Fountains have won first overall in races and ANY race fan has to admit that the OLD Rio Roses 42 kicked ass and Cat Killer even though it has engine gremlins it eats up rough water. There were some BIG cat racers that said that boat carried the mail.

Ownestly i was NEVER a Fountain fan untill i started racing......i seen so many fountains, big/small...they all eat water for breakfast.
No doubt in my mind that a fountain is THE FASTEST V hull money can buy no matter if ruff or not. :cheers2:

Guess what my next boat is gonna be !

phragle
03-29-2010, 11:28 PM
My next boat is gonna be a bayliner......!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/phragle/blr.jpg