PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Food From Hard Working Poeple

Nortechnorth
11-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while but I have been BUSY. Imagine that. A boat dealer being busy. Frankie (sellsman11) had a thread with this tone on OSO about a week ago. Terry from NT had some great comments as well. Kudos to them. I am going to take 20 minutes out of my busy work day (yes I am working on Saturday) and let it all out.

Like any other, the boating industry is cyclical. The industry certainly is not in the boom period of the cycle. I am sure that whatever industry you are in may be a similar part of its cycle.

I keep an eye on these boards because they are industry related. 90 percent of what I have seen on SOS and OSO has been negative for weeks.

Guys... Boats are your release. I am sure you face enough negativity in your job. Have fun on here. Everyone is fighting. I am pretty sure that whoever doesn't like someone else is public knowledge by now. Let's get back to having fun on here. I am sure that's why you joined these forums in the first place.

What really bothers me is the speculative threads about who is going out of business. Thank God we have not been on the recieving end of one of these vicious, malicious, fabricated, stupid attacks.

Before you come on one of these boards and say "I heard ____ is in trouble," think for a moment.

You may not like a certain boat brand. That is fine. But do you have grudges against the good men and women working in the glass shops, interior, parts, rigging, service, dealerships, cafeterias, clothing, marketing, accounting and maintenance departments? These people are working hard to feed their families and you are threatening their livelihood for your entertainment. It is pure schoolyard. If your BS thread stops one person from ordering a boat, you are taking food off the workers tables. Times are tough for some builders and they need help, not hinderance. I know for a fact that a relatively healthy builder lost a build because of a nasty, malicious, totally false rumor about their finances. I am sure that is not the only boat that has been lost to this garbage.

The next time anyone wants to start a thread on "my sister heard XYZ Powerboats has cash problems," I urge you to do one of two things:

A) Think of how much you enjoy boating. Share a great boating story, maybe even some pics with all of us. I guarantee that the rest of us will enjoy the thread much more than ANOTHER BS thread.

or

B) Take the 10 or 15 minutes you were going to use to "stir the pot" and make a few extra bucks at your job to take advantage of the great boat prices or some of that cheap fuel we can buy now for our boats.

Let me repeat one thing: If you start or spread a BS rumor about a builder, you are taking food off hard working people's tables.

Read it again. Let it sink in.

Great. It's off my chest. Time to get back to work.

cigdaze
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Great post. We agree wholeheartedly. We have no tolerance for rumors, only facts. Naturally, the state of the union and the floundering economy is on everyone's mind these days, and poignant debate on these matters as applicable to our industry will happen - that's okay. What's not okay, are false, damaging rumors. With everyone's help, malicious and erroneous information will be removed promptly. As always, we ask that all objectionable posts be reported.

Roger 1
11-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while but I have been BUSY. Imagine that. A boat dealer being busy. Frankie (sellsman11) had a thread with this tone on OSO about a week ago. Terry from NT had some great comments as well. Kudos to them. I am going to take 20 minutes out of my busy work day (yes I am working on Saturday) and let it all out.

Like any other, the boating industry is cyclical. The industry certainly is not in the boom period of the cycle. I am sure that whatever industry you are in may be a similar part of its cycle.

I keep an eye on these boards because they are industry related. 90 percent of what I have seen on SOS and OSO has been negative for weeks.

Guys... Boats are your release. I am sure you face enough negativity in your job. Have fun on here. Everyone is fighting. I am pretty sure that whoever doesn't like someone else is public knowledge by now. Let's get back to having fun on here. I am sure that's why you joined these forums in the first place.

What really bothers me is the speculative threads about who is going out of business. Thank God we have not been on the recieving end of one of these vicious, malicious, fabricated, stupid attacks.

Before you come on one of these boards and say "I heard ____ is in trouble," think for a moment.

You may not like a certain boat brand. That is fine. But do you have grudges against the good men and women working in the glass shops, interior, parts, rigging, service, dealerships, cafeterias, clothing, marketing, accounting and maintenance departments? These people are working hard to feed their families and you are threatening their livelihood for your entertainment. It is pure schoolyard. If your BS thread stops one person from ordering a boat, you are taking food off the workers tables. Times are tough for some builders and they need help, not hinderance. I know for a fact that a relatively healthy builder lost a build because of a nasty, malicious, totally false rumor about their finances. I am sure that is not the only boat that has been lost to this garbage.

The next time anyone wants to start a thread on "my sister heard XYZ Powerboats has cash problems," I urge you to do one of two things:

A) Think of how much you enjoy boating. Share a great boating story, maybe even some pics with all of us. I guarantee that the rest of us will enjoy the thread much more than ANOTHER BS thread.

or

B) Take the 10 or 15 minutes you were going to use to "stir the pot" and make a few extra bucks at your job to take advantage of the great boat prices or some of that cheap fuel we can buy now for our boats.

Let me repeat on thing: If you start or spread a BS rumor about a builder, you are taking food off hard working people's tables.

Read it again. Let it sink in.

Great. It's off my chest. Time to get back to work.

Great post. Could'nt agree more.

Bobthebuilder
11-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Well said, Peter and very true and needed to be said.
Lately I have been tired of all the negativity and it has taken much away from a sport I love greatly.
I have been spending this last while putting together a Fun Run for our Ft. Myers Offshore Group next Saturday. A week from today, 25 offshores in southwest Florida will get out for a great day on the water and hopefully remember what we are supposed to be about. Enjoying our boats.
You, Raymond, Eddie, Darryl et al will continue to do well, because you will not let it drag you down. Congrats to all the good people at DoubleR Performance / NorTech North. It has always been a pleasure to do busuness with you guys. :)
Bob

PARADOX
11-22-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll second all of that. Well said.

Magicfloat
11-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks,glad you posted. We have sold a few boats this month,not a bunch,but more than last Nov for some reason. But remember,it is Nov,a boat dealer is not expected to do much this time of year anyway. In my 40+ years as a dealer I have seen a lot of good times and a lot of bad times. This current mess will pass,our industry will survive. There will always be boats sold and folks going boating. We will just have to adapt as changes come. No body ever said the boat business was easy,if it was,everyone would want to do it. And for the naysayers,I offer this positive note,if you like boats and boating,this is absolutely the best opportunity to buy a boat at the lowest price you will ever see.Go to your local dealer and take advantage of these tough times. You may be surprised that the boat you thought was out of reach may be within you budget now. Think about it.

Nortechnorth
11-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Well said, Peter and very true and needed to be said.
Lately I have been tired of all the negativity and it has taken much away from a sport I love greatly.
I have been spending this last while putting together a Fun Run for our Ft. Myers Offshore Group next Saturday. A week from today, 25 offshores in southwest Florida will get out for a great day on the water and hopefully remember what we are supposed to be about. Enjoying our boats.
You, Raymond, Eddie, Darryl et al will continue to do well, because you will not let it drag you down. Congrats to all the good people at DoubleR Performance / NorTech North. It has always been a pleasure to do busuness with you guys. :)
Bob

Thanks Bob. If our sport had more ambassadors like you, we'd be much further ahead. I have yet to make it to a Fort Myers offshore event but have several friends who have been. They are said to be a blast. I am sure people will be sharing pics and stories about next weeks run. That is, in my opinion, the spirit of these forums.

Nortechnorth
11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Like Magicfloat said, great time to buy a boat.

ImaPoser
11-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Good post, and that's exactly what I've been doing. I always make it clear to the boss that I will work whatever OT they want me to during th enon boating part of the year, but with me timing it perfectly and selling my boat the week before I pulled it for the year, I have extra incentive to work my ass off this winter. It all goes to the boat shopping fund for spring.

Of course, being able to sit here and surf SOS/OSO while getting paid is better than sitting at home doing the same.:sifone:

cosmic12
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Thank You.

MarylandMark
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
of course, being able to sit here and surf sos/oso while getting paid is better than sitting at home doing the same.:sifone:

:03:

Geronimo36
11-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Peter, it was good talking to you last week about my buddy with the 51OL. I also appreciate the follow-up phone call and hope you were able to get in touch with the marina. Hopefully you guys can do some business together!

Have a good one!

Frank

TSPM
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
GREAT POST ....thanks for taking the time to post and speak your mind ..... We agree 100%

Macklin
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Great thread!

My wife actually emailed NBC Nightly News the other day to ask them to stop spreading the doom and gloom they preach every night. I, along with all of you, know how bad it has gotten. But the media is propagating this negativity to the point where everyone is terrified to make any large purchases.

Is this just us or do you see it?

Perlmudder
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
great post. could not agree more.

spilman
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Great thread!

My wife actually emailed NBC Nightly News the other day to ask them to stop spreading the doom and gloom they preach every night. I, along with all of you, know how bad it has gotten. But the media is propagating this negativity to the point where everyone is terrified to make any large purchases.

Is this just us or do you see it?

Macklin,

NBC is disgusting in many ways....Tell the Mrs. thanks form Spil

This post is very interesting and I'm glad I read it....things I might not have given much thought; but very important.

SinkinFastR
11-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice thead Peter. Hope to see you soon.. by water or by snowmobile. Can you and Raymond make it to Old Forge for Sno-Deo weekend. ( Dec 11)?

Ratickle
11-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Do I ever agree. Remember, it's an election year. Doctrine says to preach doom and gloom so people want change. That way even if you don't do too good, expectations are low. I think they pushed so hard it became a self fulfilling prophecy.

Talked with Bob at Black Thunder a few times lately, he is slow, but working every day and showing boats. They had him out of business months ago. Just got new shirts we wore in Key West from him.

I really wish the water up here wasn't so "Hard", could run a lot on today's gas prices. Just got great deals to fly and stay in Vegas. Less than half of this time last year.

db71
11-23-2008, 02:20 AM
I feel that most big builders have weathered hard times before and survived and builders are now coming off of what I feel probably the best years of the industry so some cutbacks would be expected. I do not know who in there right mind would give financial info to someone who would spread it. So I would say any thread that is started is complete rumor.

LaughingCat
11-23-2008, 02:43 AM
very good post. i am fortunate that i own my boat free and clear and am satisfied. while that isn't contributing to teh n'new boat' economy, i miss the waters being filled with enthusiasts. hopefully, the lower fuel prices will help. Let's keep it going. time for everyone to united, drop the petty differences and get back to being American. . . not Republican, Democrat, Independent, et al. if you are on the fence about buying a boat, jump in. prices are great, warranties covered and good times to be had.

nothing pleases me more than blowing off an afternoon with the family on the water, dusting off some suds and smiling in the wind.

thedonz
11-23-2008, 02:44 AM
very well said Peter, I agree 100%.............why not focus on the positive instead of the negative............

Chris
11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
I understand that it's human nature to slow down to rubberneck at an accident. But causing accidents is a whole 'nother thing.

People creating drama, spreading rumors and harming other's businesses for their own personal enjoyment will be shown the door.

Airpacker
11-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Peter? Did you write that all by yourself? :) Seriously Peter, well put.

MarylandMark
11-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Self-fulfilling prophecy for the news outlets