PDA

View Full Version : How much $ to run a race boat?

2scoops
03-22-2010, 01:46 AM
How much money does it take to run a race boat for a season? Lets see what the costs are for different classes of boats from P on up. My bro. in law is footing the bill for an S class outboard boat (32 DW)
to run a season of various races on the Eastern half of the coast and beyond. We live on the west coast and have to travel to test and work on the boat. How much do you guys think this will run for 1 season? This is going to be HOT.

DAREDEVIL
03-22-2010, 01:54 AM
How much money does it take to run a race boat for a season? Lets see what the costs are for different classes of boats from P on up. My bro. in law is footing the bill for an S class outboard boat (32 DW)
to run a season of various races on the Eastern half of the coast and beyond. We live on the west coast and have to travel to test and work on the boat. How much do you guys think this will run for 1 season? This is going to be HOT.

my guess,,,,with everything for u....hotel,travel fees,fuel,testing and on and on .... 80K

Slandrew
03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I'll guess 35-40k 10 - 12 races bigger boat & crew bigger $$$

Scotty B
03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
We budget 60k per race

Airpacker
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
We budget 60k per race

Well, thats what you need to spend when you campaign a little single OB boat towed by a used Corolla Scotty :)
Seriously, thats some big cake to play.

phragle
03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
DEpends on if something goes wrong... Also depends on how you roll... (you doin the dollar menu or are you pimpin the ride?)

Wahoo 214
03-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Having done it for 5 years now, it works out to nearly the cost of your boat each year. With maintence, travel, fuel, equipment, damage, fees, food it cost me $70,000 to race the whole yr. The year before it was more because we had to repower. That does not include any boat payment, truck payment or insurance.

phragle
03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Then there's Jimbo's Margarita budget... and dont forget the beer/rum budget so you can give your favorite medic/rescue guy a refreshing beverage :sifone:

(I hear that guy mooches T-shirts too) :cheers2:

P.S.S. Have to give mad props to Louie the Rigger, he consistantly has shirts year after year :driving:Louie Rocks!!!!

GENERAL LEE
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
We budget 60k per race

That's actually less than I would have guessed for you guys.

I remember Bob Morgan telling us they usually budgeted $40k or so per race back in 01, when they were running the 4 engine cat.

Wahoo 214
03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
and have to travel to test and work on the boat.

I missed that line. If you want to be competitive in SS, you will need to test far more than you race. If you are traveling from the West Coast to the East to test, you can factor in moving. I'm not kidding a 1/10th of a mph over a race equals an uncompetive team.

2scoops
03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I missed that line. If you want to be competitive in SS, you will need to test far more than you race. If you are traveling from the West Coast to the East to test, you can factor in moving. I'm not kidding a 1/10th of a mph over a race equals an uncompetive team.

I didn't say anything about being competitive!

phragle
03-22-2010, 10:50 AM

In that case, the beer and rum budget just went way up!!!!

Scotty B
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM

We usually go over budget

GENERAL LEE
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM

That's probably not hard to do, lol :cheers2:

Chris
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

That's gotta' be the present road crew, not the ten semi's of a couple years ago.

BobbyB
03-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Dude you rockstars have plenty of money so that shouldnt be a factor. :sifone::sifone: If you guys need any help let me know.

GENERAL LEE
03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
That's gotta' be the present road crew, not the ten semi's of a couple years ago.

Haha, no kidding. I figured it could be $60k just to get everything there http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

2scoops
03-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Dude you rockstars have plenty of money so that shouldnt be a factor. :sifone::sifone: If you guys need any help let me know.

Bobby, you know your in!

DollaBill
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
It was never the cost of the boat that scared me. It was the entertainment

MANITIE
03-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Hey Bobby.....I can't believe you just abanded us like that....
So here is what I will do to get you back with us...

For every race we win....I will let you super size your value meal....:willy_nilly:

It depends on your budget....
When Luke D ran with David W. he said it was like staying in a penthouse...
When he ran with me he said it was like staying in the Sh!t house...at his first race with me he brought in his girlfriend to the room I got them...when she open the door there was a giant rat over her head on the shelf....lets just say I had to upgrade them.....
Then there is Jim A. who is not so high maintance...in St Clair I got us rooms in Grand Haven...not the nices rooms but he put the shower curtains on the bed to sleep on it...but he will take one for the team...

You can leave the boat on the East coast and fly to and from the races...
As far as cost goes for the Stock Class...guys like Gary B and Ryan B can tell you what a average season will run you....

BobbyB
03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=MANITIE;463047]Hey Bobby.....I can't believe you just abanded us like that....

For every race we win....I will let you super size your value meal....:willy_nilly:

HAHA remember i am the little bobby not the big bobby. You know i will help you out. I had a blast racing with you that weekend.

stainless
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd say about 7k/race minimum for a cat outboard barring anything major blowing up!

phragle
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
If there is anything i have learned going to races for the last couple of years, is that you guys really know how to tear chit up....... hehehe

DAREDEVIL
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM

HAHAHAHA,,,PARTY'SSSSSSSSS :cheers2::sifone::seeya:

DAREDEVIL
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM

NOW THATS FUNNY RIGHT THERE !!!!!!!! :sifone:

MANITIE
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=MANITIE;463047]Hey Bobby.....I can't believe you just abanded us like that....

HAHA remember i am the little bobby not the big bobby. You know i will help you out. I had a blast racing with you that weekend.

I knew you be there for us......and you did a great job on the throttles...but the yellow book we had to put on your seat blead onto it...damm Yellow Pages...

I hope you join our team this year....we would love to have you with us...and you know I will spend more on your beers then I spend on our rooms..

Sorry for the high jack....

If you ran a good engine/drive package with a 24 to 30' vee in OPA (class 5 or 6)...you could run with a budget of $1000 to $1500 a race....

$200 to $300 for towing fuel ( pending on distance from race site 400 to 500 mile round trip)
$150 to $200 on fuel for the race boat ( 50 to 60 gallons with single engine)
$200 for 2 nights in hotel... ( have found hotels within 1 to 8 miles from the dry pits for $35 to $70 a night)
$200 to 400 a race for maintance ( changing engine and drive oil every race )
plus food and drinks....( if your not a drinker...you can get away with $40 a day )

The 7k to 60k per race is for some big teams....not the average single class 5 or 6 team...
So if any guys out there are looking to come out and race...don't get scared away by the big numbers....
you can come out and race for a resonable $ amount + prize money...

DAREDEVIL
03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=BobbyB;463057]

I knew you be there for us......and you did a great job on the throttles...but the yellow book we had to put on your seat bled onto it...damn Yellow Pages...

I hope you join our team this year....we would love to have you with us...and you know I will spend more on your beers then I spend on our rooms..

Sorry for the high jack....

If you ran a good engine/drive package with a 24 to 30' vee in OPA (class 5 or 6)...you could run with a budget of $1000 to $1500 a race....

$200 to $300 for towing fuel ( pending on distance from race site 400 to 500 mile round trip)
$150 to $200 on fuel for the race boat ( 50 to 60 gallons with single engine)
$200 for 2 nights in hotel... ( have found hotels within 1 to 8 miles from the dry pits for $35 to $70 a night)
$200 to 400 a race for maintenance ( changing engine and drive oil every race )
plus food and drinks....( if your not a drinker...you can get away with $40 a day )

The 7k to 60k per race is for some big teams....not the average single class 5 or 6 team...
So if any guys out there are looking to come out and race...don't get scared away by the big numbers....
you can come out and race for a reasonable $ amount + prize money...

I agree somewhat ........i was racing on a budget and still spend ~ 50 K + to do all races of a season.
U need food,,hotel, travel, fuel, little parts, oil's, sometimes big parts,,LOL, and on and on.....so the budget racing in P class ( even in OPA ) would be a big number unless u live where the races are !!!!!!
I raced SBI, and even if i would race OPA the # would not change a hole lot......because more travel and more hotel cost , so either way i say 1 year 50+ is a REAL number and even with price money u can not make up for it ,,,,like some think they can, also DO NOT BELIEVE THE SPONSORS UNLESS IN WRITING and even then ...mhhhhhhhh , i don't know how often i heard YES, and the check is in the mail !!!!!!!!
The stupid person i am i believed them....spend money i did not have just to go racing and hoping the check will arrive......well.....now , broke and still trying to go racing ..LOL

GOOD LUCK to every speed addicted power boater there is !!!!:cheers2:

OH, :seeya: on the race coarse !!!!!!!!! :sifone:

blackwidow
03-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Old saying is that if you want to end a race season with 1 million dollars start with 2 million.

Wahoo 214
03-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Also if your team becomes competitive in C5 or 6 you can cover much of your costs with purse $. I bet that the Smith Bros had a reasonable year after adding in thier winnings.

Fast Shafts
03-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I know that I'm an exception here. I run a small class 6 boat, 606 Lock'd Up and attended all but one OPA race. I did it on a VERY limited budget.
The way I kept cost down was to NOT do alot of things:

1) Realize I'm here to race, NOT PARTY
2) Make reservations early, NOT pay inflated prices at the last minute
3) Arrive the day before a race, stay at an affordable hotel, NOT an expensive Ocean Front Hotel
4) Tow my boat to the races with my old F-150, NOT pay someone to haul it.
5) Leave in the evening after the race, NOT the next day.
6) NOT pay for an entourage of family friends to hang out with.
7) NOT pay for a "crew", the one or two team mates have to contribute with maintenance (I pay for parts)
8) I do NOT buy souveniers/sweatshirts etc.
9) I do NOT spend alot on Pictures/video, I wait untill the offseason and purchase a limited amount
10) Again, I do NOT spend alot on Alcohol, I'm there to Race!:sifone:

MarylandMark
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
HAHA remember i am the little bobby not the big bobby.

:icon_bs:

Don't forget I saw you last Friday, chumbs

htrdlncn
03-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I looked for awhile for a 24 Carrera/Pantera/Excalibur when I thought about running a P6 boat
on a limited schedule, just a few races and probably not competitive , just get my feet wet and break a lot of stuff,then realized there isnt many races within 1000 miles of central Texas. Did find the boat (24 Excalibur) at a steal of a deal but let my friend Doug get it. It will be fast but wont fit any class when he is done .
Around here the only boat races are drag races .
:(

Tom A.
03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
The cost of the boat = yearly expenses seems to hold true. I remember racing back in the early nineties and that seemed to hold true back then too. I ran in an A-class 29' Mirage with twin small blocks and no matter how we cut it, if it wasn't a drive or a motor it was 'glass work or a steering wheel (broke a few of those :)... big water racing then!) it always seemed to be the same end of year total.

MANITIE
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I know that I'm an exception here. I run a small class 6 boat, 606 Lock'd Up and attended all but one OPA race. I did it on a VERY limited budget.
The way I kept cost down was to NOT do alot of things:

1) Realize I'm here to race, NOT PARTY
2) Make reservations early, NOT pay inflated prices at the last minute
3) Arive the day before a race, stay at an affordable hotel, NOT an expensive Ocean Front Hotel
4) Tow my boat to the races with my old F-150, NOT pay someone to haul it.
5) Leave in the evening after the race, NOT the next day.
6) NOT pay for an entourage of family friends to hang out with.
7) NOT pay for a "crew", the one or two team mates have to contribute with maintenance (I pay for parts)
8) I do NOT buy souveniers/sweatshirts etc.
9) I do NOT spend alot on Pictures/video, I wait untill the offseason and purchase a limited amount
10) Again, I do NOT spend alot on Alcohol, I'm there to Race!:sifone:

That is a perfect example of running on a budget and showing it can be done...If we really look at what we spend at a race a lot of average teams spend between $1000 and $1500 for just hotels, drinking and food....which that could be done for under $300....

So you guys that are thinking of giving it a shot...it can be affordible...
and look at the bonus...if you place...even 3rd...that could pay for your weekend and some braggin rights...for a couple of weeks...

Glad to see you guys out there....

Fast Shafts
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Gino,
$1,000. per race would be a "fat" budget for me. I had a few 3rd place finishes ($750.00) which offset some of my expenses. This year I'm probably running the Northeast races, Ocean City, Patchogue, Atlantic City, and Cambridge. If things go well, I'll try and do Orange Beach in October. It can be done on a limited budget.

MANITIE
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Gino,
$1,000. per race would be a "fat" budget for me. I had a few 3rd place finishes ($750.00) which offset some of my expenses. This year I'm probably running the Northeast races, Ocean City, Patchogue, Atlantic City, and Cambridge. If things go well, I'll try and do Orange Beach in October. It can be done on a limited budget.

Its great having guys like you out there...and we need more like you...you don't have to be rich to race....thats great news that you guys will be doing the Northeast races....and I hope you make it to Orange Beach...its a great place to race...

See you soon...

DAREDEVIL
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Come on ,,,,,,,,,if i drive my boat from FL to NJ i already spend 1400 in gas for the truck.

STAY SERIOUS !!!!!!!!!!

NO way u can race for 1000 a race unless u live right there !!!!!!:confused:

Fast Shafts
03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Daredevil,
From NJ to Harrison Mich. (the farthest race for me) is 700 miles each way. 1400 miles total, my F150 gets 12 miles per gallon=116 gallons of fuel X 3.00 per gallon =350.00 of fuel. We left the boat in Mich for the next race in St. Clair-one week later.

I live in NJ, so Ocean City Md, Cambridge and Patchogue are only 150 miles away. Fuel isn't a big expense here, roughly 75.00 per race. My claiming "1,000 per race is fat" was averaging out all races including both races in Michigan.

I respectfully disagree with your figures. According to Google maps, from Sarasota Florida to Patchogue NY (the farthest northeast race for you) is 1240 miles each way. 2480 miles total. If your truck gets 8 miles per gallon, that would equal 310 gallons of fuel for the round trip. If you figure 3.00 per gallon, your round trip fuel bill would be $930.00 If I'm wrong, please explain where?

I've done more races on a limited budget than most, I work two jobs because I love this crazy sport. I'm sure if you hauled your boat up here, someone would allow you to store your boat for a minimum fee or free. Hope to see you at some of the OPA races.

Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up

DAREDEVIL
03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Daredevil,
From NJ to Harrison Mich. (the farthest race for me) is 700 miles each way. 1400 miles total, my F150 gets 12 miles per gallon=116 gallons of fuel X 3.00 per gallon =350.00 of fuel. We left the boat in Mich for the next race in St. Clair-one week later.

I live in NJ, so Ocean City Md, Cambridge and Patchogue are only 150 miles away. Fuel isn't a big expense here, roughly 75.00 per race. My claiming "1,000 per race is fat" was averaging out all races including both races in Michigan.

I respectfully disagree with your figures. According to Google maps, from Sarasota Florida to Patchogue NY (the farthest northeast race for you) is 1240 miles each way. 2480 miles total. If your truck gets 8 miles per gallon, that would equal 310 gallons of fuel for the round trip. If you figure 3.00 per gallon, your round trip fuel bill would be $930.00 If I'm wrong, please explain where?

I've done more races on a limited budget than most, I work two jobs because I love this crazy sport. I'm sure if you hauled your boat up here, someone would allow you to store your boat for a minimum fee or free. Hope to see you at some of the OPA races.

Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up

OK, i guessed...so 930 + say extra 50 in fuel for the truck.
60 gallons for the boat = 180
100 per night hotel, lets say 3 nights = 300
30 food, 4 times = 120
2 days off of work = ~ 200
and all this if nothing absolutley nothing goes wrong.

Now u count in your avarege tear and wear on boat and truck ( oil, miles....aso. )

U tell me ?!

EACH RACE ( for a person that does not live close by ) u have to count min. 2 K if nothing goes wrong, + your maintnance on the boat and trailer and tow vehicle !!!!!!! :seeya:

RACING IS NOT FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and who believes u can make money with it is 100000% wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

BradH
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM

For a stock boat, 6-10K per race depending on how often you switch powerheads and lowers. Propellers add up, too. On the upper end if you do it right.

MANITIE
03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Come on ,,,,,,,,,if i drive my boat from FL to NJ i already spend 1400 in gas for the truck.

STAY SERIOUS !!!!!!!!!!

NO way u can race for 1000 a race unless u live right there !!!!!!:confused:

Traveling from Sarasota to race OPA is not the norm, over 50+ teams live in the MD to the north and Mich and to the East. But let me take a shot at it,

If you really want to race in OPA and you have a budget of say $1000
Try these steps:
Find a driver or throttleman in the NJ,MD area.
Leave the boat up in the NJ, MD area.
I get flights to Fl once to twice a month, if you book 14 days prior I can get round trips for $200.

So round trip flight $200 to $250
Have your driver or throttleman drive the boat to Ocean City, and so on, fuel to and from $150.
fuel for race $100
Fly out on friday and split a room with your teamate $75 each for 2 nights
Food $30 bucks a day =$90...and we will buy you some beers
Have your teamate buy the engine and drive oil and have him change it and spit any prize money to offset both sides
That ruffly puts you just over $700 leaving you with $300 to off set anything else. plus I recall that you were going to kick everyones butt in OPA so thats a nice 1st place check....

Try it....

Fast Shafts
03-23-2010, 11:47 PM
When I throttled on the Carrabba's Pantera, I use to split all hotel, gas, tolls and entry fees, plus pay my yearly APBA membership. This probably accounted for 4-500.00 per race-and I was happy to pay it!! We didn't skimp on anything. There is also nothing wrong with asking racing team-mates to contribute either money or mechanical ability towards program. There are no Free rides.

DAREDEVIL
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Traveling from Sarasota to race OPA is not the norm, over 50+ teams live in the MD to the north and Mich and to the East. But let me take a shot at it,

Try these steps:
I get flights to Fl once to twice a month, if you book 14 days prior I can get round trips for $200.

Have your driver or throttleman drive the boat to Ocean City, and so on, fuel to and from $150.
fuel for race $100
Have your teamate buy the engine and drive oil and have him change it and spit any prize money to offset both sides
That ruffly puts you just over $700 leaving you with $300 to off set anything else. plus I recall that you were going to kick everyones butt in OPA so thats a nice 1st place check....

Try it....

The Person who asked the question, LIVES ON THE WEST COAST !!!!!!!!!

mmmmmhhhhhhh

I say it will cost him 60+ K a year,,,if i am wrong i want him to let me know after he done it !!!!!!

Its not about me or any other P class racer...its about his plan and question !!!!!!!

And u think i did not try what u are saying ??????:rolleyes:

2TR
03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
There are no Free rides.

When I started out I was looking for a driver with some race experience.. One guy came up and said "He Raced" and "How Much Does It Pay" - I knew from that sec. he had no experience in racing boats. :smash:

Wahoo 214
03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Having raced both SS boat and SV I found the SS more expensive to race. You MUST have at least 1 extra powerhead ($5-8k) several prop sets (we had 4) ($8-10K) speciality tools ($1000) and if you want to win (I know u said you didn't) $6-8k for engine rebuilds.

In my opinion, C5-6 are the only classes where anyone who cares about counting $ races in. They are also the biggest and most competitive classes.

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Daredevil,

Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up

YOU ARE RIGHT ,,don,t listen to dd ,,he cant add anyway,,,you are doing the right thing OPA is the right way for you ,,and your right by the way you do it, I see you have a passion for the sport,good job,,it is much better to race in a class you can afford and run many races in a year ,,than run a boat you cant,t afford and only race once or twice a year,but walk around talking about what an offshore racer you are ,,knowing you miss most races,, I,m comming to Patchog this year again ,come see me ,,George Jr..:driving:

rchevelle71
03-24-2010, 10:01 AM

Try these steps:

fuel for race $100

Try it....

Gino,

Sounds like you more than fair, if you ever need a teammate in Florida, I can hook you up, cuz that is some cheap racing:driving:

Rick

Ryan Beckley
03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
You CAN run a SS boat for 5K a race on the east coast. OF COURSE it is going to more expensive flying the team in from Seattle but since you already have a base in Fla it should be a little easier... PLUS with with the numbers of boats we'll have in SS by the end of the year the prize money should be really good too.

GENERAL LEE
03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
You CAN run a SS boat for 5K a race on the east coast. OF COURSE it is going to more expensive flying the team in from Seattle but since you already have a base in Fla it should be a little easier... PLUS with with the numbers of boats we'll have in SS by the end of the year the prize money should be really good too.

That's not bad, compared to the fun.

MANITIE
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I did not know how much the SS class cost till I talked to Gary B.
And he said around 80k a year...that suprised me based on what running a SV was costing me...but it is a great class...

The LaveyCraft guys blew me away when I see them driving there boat back and forth from east to west coast after every race...Kevin C would tell me he would not get home till late Weds after a Sunday race....

Thats crazy.....

I think the the biggest question in cost is if you blow a drive or engine....
I found out having the gears changed in mid seson weather they need or not takes care of that problem. and have not had a drive let go since I started doing it.
In 2007 other then regular maintaence and doing some bleeding the steering with Jim A on the throttles...we had no issues all year...till Tenn. having a prop shaft shear off....but that was the only issue for 9 races and was not a big $ fix...and with prise money it was a good year, we even gave a couple of OPA teams some of the prise money to make it to Key West..so it can be done....

2scoops
03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Having a home base in Florida is going to come in handy! How many boats are we going to have in the class Ryan? The reason i asked the question was just to see what people thought it would cost from different perspectives. Ryan has been racing this class long enough to know the costs involved with the travel and maintenance of a stock class boat. I think there is alot of good insight here for someone looking to do the same, Whatever the class may be.

Ryan Beckley
03-24-2010, 01:26 PM
I think you will see 10 SS boats at races by the end of the season.

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
good job ,,,we should talk,,???

catastrophe
03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
It was never the cost of the boat that scared me. It was the entertainment

Yeah ...hand cream and a box of Kleenex and you are tapped:kiss:

glh
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
How much $ to run a race boat?A sh!tload

MANITIE
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Having a home base in Florida is going to come in handy! How many boats are we going to have in the class Ryan? The reason i asked the question was just to see what people thought it would cost from different perspectives. Ryan has been racing this class long enough to know the costs involved with the travel and maintenance of a stock class boat. I think there is alot of good insight here for someone looking to do the same, Whatever the class may be.

Ryan and Gary B have been doing it the longest...so there info will be on..
Sounds like the class is growing....I never paid attention to them running till I seen the Bull On The Beach SS boat in Class 3 in Ocean City...it looks like a fun ride...

phragle
03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, a quad is a whole lot cheaper, and I managed to dump 45k one year racing and thats not even a year I did baja... And that was cutting all the corners I could.

DAREDEVIL
03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT ,,don,t listen to dd ,,he cant add anyway,,,you are doing the right thing OPA is the right way for you ,,and your right by the way you do it, I see you have a passion for the sport,good job,,it is much better to race in a class you can afford and run many races in a year ,,than run a boat you cant,t afford and only race once or twice a year,but walk around talking about what an offshore racer you are ,,knowing you miss most races,, I,m comming to Patchog this year again ,come see me ,,George Jr..:driving:

George, the person that asked was not fastshaft..........:confused:

And had nothing to do with OPA in general !!!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry,,,but my answer was ment for the person that started the thread !!!!!

And as Ryan said 5 K a race .....10-12 races 50 -60 K ......THATS WHAT I SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
When I started out I was looking for a driver with some race experience.. One guy came up and said "He Raced" and "How Much Does It Pay" - I knew from that sec. he had no experience in racing boats. :smash:

Rick ,,HERE IS ONE FOR YA,,,,,,"" WHAT DO YOU DO WITH AALLL THE MONEY YOU WIN,,???"":cheers2:

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
George, the person that asked was not fastshaft..........:confused:

And had nothing to do with OPA in general !!!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry,,,but my answer was ment for the person that started the thread !!!!!

And as Ryan said 5 K a race .....10-12 races 50 -60 K ......THATS WHAT I SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK but i,v got to ask,,,who races 10 to 12 races a year,??

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Only about a handful of teams.

imco offshore
03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
yea I just thought of your spread sheet,,

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
'09 season. Does not include Key West.

DAREDEVIL
03-24-2010, 10:47 PM

But that was what he asked...THE WHOLE SEASON !!!!!

MANITIE
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=2scoops;462700]How much money does it take to run a race boat for a season? Lets see what the costs are for different classes of boats from P on up.

DD...He asked to see the cost of differences of clases, I think what a few of us are talking about is the class 5 and 6 guys can do it with $1000...We all know the SS class will be much more....but its crazy to see from the post it could cost you $1000 per race up to 60k per race....its why a lot of us could relate to F1 and F2..and also A class. it was afordable and had 45+ teams between F1 and
F2....and some crazy racing....